The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Magnesium for better sleep

EdKirby

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2015
United States
This came up in another thread so I figured I would post it in a thread of it's own.

If you are having sleep issues you might want to try taking a magnesium supplement. A lot of people are deficient in minerals. If you are deficient in magnesium this can have an effect on your sleep especially your deep sleep. There's a bit of research out there on this that you can google if interested.

I started taking a supplement over the summer and my sleep has never been better. Do I have the occasional bad night, sure. But my sleep has improved immensely. Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: I'm not a Dr and I don't play one on the Interwebs either. ;-)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Thanks for the tip!

On a side note, what’s the best way for someone to get tested for any mineral deficiencies? Can we do it from home?

Tossek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 5, 2019
Germany
Warm milk with honey. Cosy option for magnesium pills, granny style.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
I remember having a supplement “ZMA” in the past.

I would take it occasionally and it really improved the quality of sleep I was getting, even if it was the same amount of time.

If that’s “Zinc and Magnesium” (the minerals we need for sleep) - I am questioning which one would be better to take and whether it would have an effect on health when taking on consistent basis for “better sleep” reasons.

D

DeletedUser0287

I would take it occasionally and it really improved the quality of sleep I was getting, even if it was the same amount of time.

If that’s “Zinc and Magnesium” (the minerals we need for sleep) - I am questioning which one would be better to take and whether it would have an effect on health when taking on consistent basis for “better sleep” reasons.

Beat me to it, ZMA sleep quality plus 100

EdKirby

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2015
United States
Thanks for the tip!

On a side note, what’s the best way for someone to get tested for any mineral deficiencies? Can we do it from home?

You're welcome! I hope it helps.

My understanding is your Dr can order a test for it. I haven't done it. I just had the symptoms and I came across the info on magnesium so I figured that it can't hurt me. Not like overdosing on Potassium could. So I gave it a try and it work! Never looked back.

EdKirby

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2015
United States

That's a good question. I just Googled ZMA and I'm reading about it now. If I had to guess I'd say it's the magnesium aspartate that's the thing that's helping the sleep.

From what I've read, magnesium glycinate is the best for sleep but I'm taking magnesium citrate and it's working for me. The magnesium glycinate is supposed to be the best for absorption. Once my bottle is done I may try the glycinate form.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
ZMA is where it’s at.

ZMA with CBD gummy is where it’s at x2

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest
Thanks for the tip!

I don't know about this test specifically, but when I was working on lowering my cholesterol naturally and my doctor wouldn't play along (he was insistent I needed drugs), I discovered that there are labs that do various types of testing directly for consumers. You order the test online and they give you a choice of locations to walk in and get blood drawn or whatever you need to do, and then results show up in your online account. It was pretty quick and not very expensive. I can't recall the name of the one I used, but I am pretty sure there are two or three nationwide options.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Taking magnesium before breakfast everyday. Started a month ago. I disolve the crystals in a liter of water and take a shot on an empty stomach. Tastes awful but it is great for you.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm not in to all the vitamins and stuff but a few months ago we went down to Mineral Wells, Texas and stopped in at Crazy Water. I buy some #3 from time to time at Kroger, this day I had a bad headache so I took a free sample of the #4.... within 2 minutes my headache was gone!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
That's a good question. I just Googled ZMA and I'm reading about it now. If I had to guess I'd say it's the magnesium aspartate that's the thing that's helping the sleep.

From what I've read, magnesium glycinate is the best for sleep but I'm taking magnesium citrate and it's working for me. The magnesium glycinate is supposed to be the best for absorption. Once my bottle is done I may try the glycinate form.
If you want the best absorption of magnesium try having an Epsom Salts bath, but you can get a good dose by soaking your feet in a solution of Epsom Salts.

Or you can follow the more expensive way of buying what is called Magnesium Oil, which is that same solution.

Walter

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Yep!

Take ZMA if you suffer from insomnia or cramps (big sign that you suffer from a Magnesium deficiency).

Grinder20

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
May 28, 2019
I'm not in to all the vitamins and stuff but a few months ago we went down to Mineral Wells, Texas and stopped in at Crazy Water. I buy some #3 from time to time at Kroger, this day I had a bad headache so I took a free sample of the #4.... within 2 minutes my headache was gone!

I'm not into vitamins or pharmaceuticals either, so thanks for mentioning this.

The history of this company is "crazy"!
We unfortunately don't have a Kroger near us, but I will keep an eye out for it.:eyes:

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I just had the symptoms and I came across the info on magnesium so I figured that it can't hurt me. Not like overdosing on Potassium could.

I could tell a big difference in sleep when I started taking magnesium. Less so now, so I assume I'm less deficient than before. I also take potassium, which I don't think gets enough good press:

• Potassium is considered to be a "nutrient of public health concern" according to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans since its underconsumption in the US population is associated with adverse health effects
  • The adequate intake (AI) for potassium is 2,600 mg/day for women and 3,400 mg/day for men.
  • heart rate in healthy adults was unlikely to be affected by the chronic use of supplemental potassium doses of 2 to 3 g/day
  • Multivitamin-mineral supplements in the US do not contain more than 99 mg of potassium per serving
  • 1 medium baked potato with skin - 926mg
  • Oral doses of potassium >18 g taken at one time in individuals not accustomed to high intakes may lead to severe hyperkalemia
So 3-4 potatoes just to meet the recommended amount, and that's if you eat the skin (5-6 without the skin). And because of the OD'ing scare, you can only get 100mg supplements... so 6 potatoes or 35 pills just to break even! (you can get it in bulk powder though)

Just don't eat 36 potatoes at once, you know, unless you're accustomed to it lol :)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm not into vitamins or pharmaceuticals either, so thanks for mentioning this.

The history of this company is "crazy"!
We unfortunately don't have a Kroger near us, but I will keep an eye out for it.:eyes:

That is the town my mom grew up in. They are actually putting atleast $65 million in to the old hotel to bring the town back to life. They plan to make it a destination for people wanting to get married. I guess marriage and the word crazy go together so they figured.... why not! :rofl: The Restoration of Mineral Wells’ Historic Baker Hotel Is (Finally) About to Begin

Grinder20

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
May 28, 2019

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada

They should make this an international business.

There's a business in a town nearby that's quickly becoming bigger and bigger through selling its water.
Eska: The Source – ESKA water

It's only of the only bottled pure natural water I know of.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.