The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Losing the sale

Marketing, social media, advertising

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Today I went on a quick run to the store to pickup some groceries, and wanted to share the perspective of a customer that is giving away thousands of dollars to X or Y companies.

Lately in my life I've changed my diet and am adding new things, so I'm making a bit of a conscious effort to see what is going on inside of my brain when making such decisions, keep in mind I am not a very smart person at all, which is basically the vast majority of the population :rofl: So I believe that my decision making skills in regards to buying a product would be quite similar.

1. Why did I purchase this product?
  2. Why did I purchase *this* brand over another?
  3. What are my emotional feelings towards the brand/marketing/logo etc.
Some people love the color blue and hate the color pink (if you are a manly man with a huge beard that rides a Harley Davidson)

Imagine this manly man with his big beautiful bald head during his mid life crisis in the store buying a product when faced with two options, one bag of potato chips is packaged in blue, and the other in pink. What would this person buy and why?

Back to my purchase, to showcase my decision making psychology on deciding which company to give my money to....

Here were my options,

1619746885973.png

I didn't even look at the price because I am so rich... haw haw! But really, most people do shop based on price, although in this instance I looked at a jam and decided to grab this one

1619747019391.png

With my previous purchase being this one

1619747073670.png

Compare these two logos with this one below.....

1619747115649.png

I wasn't even sure what the hell this was, it could be jam but beats me, look at how boring and ugly this package is!! In my simple thought I process I opted for the logo with the raspberries, blueberries because I know what the product is, this one above I'm not exactly sure what I would be buying...

1619747297026.png

It's no surprise the company I just supported hit 8 billion dollars in 2020. Maybe the other company is doing great aswell, although today they did not and never will get my money ever.

Am I the only person out of 7 billion people to have thoughts like this?

So just think for a second, how many business's out there in the world are losing sales to another company just because of an aesthetic look, logo, marketing or packaging difference?

Thank you for coming to my ted talk, have an awesome day.

1619747762279.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What I don't understand is why doesn't smuckers come out with 5 different brands that all have their own appeal in some way, and then negotiate to be the sole supplier in major stores, so that no matter which brand you choose, you pick something owned by the same company. Coca Cola does the same thing and it just makes sense.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
What I don't understand is why doesn't smuckers come out with 5 different brands that all have their own appeal in some way, and then negotiate to be the sole supplier in major stores, so that no matter which brand you choose, you pick something owned by the same company. Coca Cola does the same thing and it just makes sense.

In 1988, the Company began offering Smucker’s products in Canada, and today the brand is a market leader in jams, jellies, fruit spreads and ice cream toppings. The Company’s family of brands in Canada has grown to include Folgers coffee, Crisco shortening and oils, Robin Hood® flour and baking mixes, Five Roses® flour, Bick’s® pickles and condiments, Red River® cereals and Double Fruit® spreads. Offering high-quality products, from our family to yours.

They own a ton of stuff! What's crazy is the way the company started, just a guy by himself selling jam out of his little horse buggy.

Djioul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 12, 2021
France
Hey @sparechange,

Very interesting post.

I just wanted to give some details on the "Bonne Maman" product you just describe because this brand (and its packaging) has some history and I know it well because it is French.
The brand was founded in the 70's and it was the starting point of one of the biggest food industry company in France called Andros (around 2.2 B € turnover, Source: Wikipedia). They are quite similar to Smucker as they now own a wide variety of brands (cakes, compotes...) and now own a big marketshare on these poducts.

Going back to the strawberry jam and its packaging. They made it to be recognizable when they founded the brand in the 70's. They patented this packaging with the "Vichy" design of the lid, the typography and the shapte of the glass.
They did not change this design since it was invented. Then comes the debate: do you stick to old success or do you try to evolve ?

In France, "Bonne Maman" is, I think, the most selling jam producer. If I have to buy one, I choose "Bonne Maman" everytime because this packaging reminds me of an old traditional (even if it is not the case anymore) and tasty jam.
To my opinion, they kept the same boring packaging (written in French) worldwide to use the reputation of the French gastronomy.

I don't say it's good or bad but I just wanted to give you more details on the history of the brand. :smile2:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hey @sparechange,

Very interesting post.

I just wanted to give some details on the "Bonne Maman" product you just describe because this brand (and its packaging) has some history and I know it well because it is French.
The brand was founded in the 70's and it was the starting point of one of the biggest food industry company in France called Andros (around 2.2 B € turnover, Source: Wikipedia). They are quite similar to Smucker as they now own a wide variety of brands (cakes, compotes...) and now own a big marketshare on these poducts.

Going back to the strawberry jam and its packaging. They made it to be recognizable when they founded the brand in the 70's. They patented this packaging with the "Vichy" design of the lid, the typography and the shapte of the glass.
They did not change this design since it was invented. Then comes the debate: do you stick to old success or do you try to evolve ?

In France, "Bonne Maman" is, I think, the most selling jam producer. If I have to buy one, I choose "Bonne Maman" everytime because this packaging reminds me of an old traditional (even if it is not the case anymore) and tasty jam.
To my opinion, they kept the same boring packaging (written in French) worldwide to use the reputation of the French gastronomy.

I don't say it's good or bad but I just wanted to give you more details on the history of the brand. :smile2:

Do you notice any differnece in taste? Perhaps I'll try it out the next time I go shopping. Merci for sharing, 2 billion isn't to bad!

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey @sparechange,

Very interesting post.

That goes to show that even with a crap design, if the product is good, it`ll still make money.

I wouldnt bet on crap design though.
While you may eventually succeed because your product is good, the time delay will be greater than if the design is good.

Djioul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 12, 2021
France
Do you notice any differnece in taste? Perhaps I'll try it out the next time I go shopping. Merci for sharing, 2 billion isn't to bad!
I don't know the products you have in North America so difficult to compare.

In France, it is (for me) the best jam in terms of quality. At least for the industrial ones. Of course, you will find some local jam producers which are excellent and even better.

Tell me if you try one time ;)

Edit: I just read that they are number 2 in the US for small 30 g jam bottles you find in hotels. Have a look next time you eat a breakfast in a US hotel.

Djioul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 12, 2021
France
That goes to show that even with a crap design, if the product is good, it`ll still make money.

I wouldnt bet on crap design though.
While you may eventually succeed because your product is good, the time delay will be greater than if the design is good.
I agree. Maybe they will update the design one day...

The point here is that the design is from the 70's and was back then a way to differenciate from other brands. And that's still working today in France, nobody really likes the design but you can find the product quite easily when you compare to other brands (and it also kind of reminds you of the jam bottles your Grandmom was preparing as the "Bonne Maman" packaging is mimicking them). And then, as you said, reputation of the product does the rest.

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Dec 24, 2019
I usually buy healthier options and these tend to have simpler/more modern packaging. At lest here where I live. So for me Bonne Maman kinda stood out when I first saw it. Now it's my favourite. A bit pricier than some others I got around here but way tastier.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Understanding the effect of emotion in sales is vital to success. In this extract from my book I illustrate an outstanding example in the field of entertainment:

In the 19th Century, the early circuses were dominated by trick horse riding, and then came along the most famous circus of all time.

A great understanding of customer emotions led to Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus (started in 1871) becoming the longest-lived and most successful and well known circus ever, not closing until 2017.

So, what were some of the emotions they dished out in abundance to draw the crowds and keep them coming for 146 years?
  • The unwinding effect of comedy.
  • A desire for an adrenalin rush when sensing fear or danger.
  • The thrill of amazement.
  • The pleasure of relief when danger passes.
  • Enjoyment of hero worship generating vicarious success.
In a 2015 Harvard Business Review article the authors referred to a list of nearly 300 “emotional motivators” and, using big data analytics, they linked them to specific profitable behaviours. Find those motivators in your customer demographic and you can find gold.

Don't count on just giving the facts. Stir as many as possible of those nearly 300 “emotional motivators” if you want to sell.

As @sparechange wrote: "Imagine this manly man with his big beautiful bald head during his mid life crisis in the store buying a product when faced with two options, one bag of potato chips is packaged in blue, and the other in pink. What would this person buy and why?"

When offering a product for sale, you must be able to answer such questions.

Walter

nothingness

I make great coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Mar 3, 2021
UK
These are my kryptonite. They are absolutely delicious. Further more, after trying these, I end up buying their yoghurt desserts and jams. So the marketing works.
front_fr.33.full.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.