The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's - I Deleted My Upwork Account...

Jueruss

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
There's a link in my signature if you want to learn from/with me. But I don't have any courses on copywriting or influence and persuasion right now (at least none that are available to the public).

Otherwise you could read a lot of books and spend time applying what you learn. Anything by Dale Carnegie, Robert Greene, or Robert Cialdini would be a good start in the right direction.

Your Link leads me to the login of a Wordpress side. Probally remove the "/wp-login.php?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Flexdeville.com" part.

You speak about ‘types’... type 1 type 2, etc. Where is that concept from?

From what he said in the Video I guess it is the enneagramm.
I don't know much about it but it divides in 9 types.
1 Is someone who like to make things perfect and 2 for eg is someone who helps others.

It was intersting but I never gave it much attention but now, after I have seen this video I am impressed. Btw some Years ago I made some test in this. I am 5w6. What does this say about me and my options go become a millionaire?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
You speak about ‘types’... type 1 type 2, etc. Where is that concept from?

Like Jueruss above said, it is from the Enneagram.

Your Link leads me to the login of a Wordpress side. Probally remove the "/wp-login.php?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Flexdeville.com" part.

I was performing updates. The site should be working now.

It was intersting but I never gave it much attention but now, after I have seen this video I am impressed. Btw some Years ago I made some test in this. I am 5w6. What does this say about me and my options go become a millionaire?

I don't use this method for Upwork proposals anymore. It has proved largely ineffective for most people because it's hard to get it right without years of practice. I wrote about it some in the INSIDERS section, but even that material is dated at this point.

Your type doesn't determine your options to become a millionaire unless you believe it does. If it did you might be in trouble because 5w6 is generally too analytical to be effective leaders. Usually they become scientists or computer programmers. They study some specialized field where they can gain knowledge that other people don't have. 5's usually care more about learning than earning and it often holds them back. On a bright note, Bill Gates made it.

Today I view the Enneagram a bit differently. Instead of types I look at each number as a series of patterns of behavior. Each person tends to exhibit patterns from all 9 types. Some of those patterns are more pronounced and show up more often. When a collection of patterns shows up frequently, I call that your personality pattern.

The reason for this is if you lump people into a fixed "type" then how can you interact with them in a useful way when they do something that isn't normal for their type? But if you understand types as fluid patterns of behavior, then your own responses can be fluid as well. Of course, if you don't need to influence people then none of this really matters and you can just have fun with the tests!

;)

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
Hello Lex:
I'm hoping that the following will not be a stupid question which can sometimes occur with very long threads.
1. You mention you are not using the personality tests anymore with proposals. Has anything else changed?
2. Have the two older videos in #63 and #74 been deprecated or do those still work?
3. I have an older upwork account, did not work it for a while but I have good excellent feedback from 6 jobs in a different field (looking to change field)) and over 60 applications opportunities. Can I just change the profile without a having to create a new one, and if not, how many invites would I have if I start over?
4. Is it good to stick with those that say US freelancers only?
5. Which are better to go after milestone or one-time jobs?
6. Is there a way to avoid waiting like forever for huge waiting periods to get paid like I heard you can get with escrow payment? What is the best way to get paid like 2-3 days after job? Every job I did for them previous had a huge waiting period.
Thank you for your help.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
1. You mention you are not using the personality tests anymore with proposals. Has anything else changed?
Not really. I don't base proposals on knowledge of specific personalities anymore because if I'm wrong, then I'm REALLY wrong and totally blow any chance of a response. I do keep in mind the client's approach. Do they have a big picture focus or are they caught up in specific details? Do they talk in terms of action or analytics?

Have the two older videos in #63 and #74 been deprecated or do those still work?
Not sure which videos you're referring to.

3. I have an older upwork account, did not work it for a while but I have good excellent feedback from 6 jobs in a different field (looking to change field)) and over 60 applications opportunities. Can I just change the profile without a having to create a new one, and if not, how many invites would I have if I start over?
You can change your old profile. You'll probably be set to private until someone responds to one of your proposals and hires you. You can unlock a private profile by joining Upwork Pro for a month or just requesting their staff to unlock your profile through the community forums.

4. Is it good to stick with those that say US freelancers only?
Yes, unless you're desperate for work or just getting started. I find U.S. clients are often willing to spend more, unless I'm dealing with a large company from overseas with a massive budget

5. Which are better to go after milestone or one-time jobs?
I put in amounts by project, not milestones. Milestones are something to be worked out after you've been on a live call to find out what they actually need.

6. Is there a way to avoid waiting like forever for huge waiting periods to get paid like I heard you can get with escrow payment? What is the best way to get paid like 2-3 days after job? Every job I did for them previous had a huge waiting period.
The best way is to require the client to fund, activate, and release the milestone prior to starting work. That way you only wait for the payment to process in Upwork. With hourly jobs I don't remember how the pay works because I don't do hourly. For fixed-rate jobs, if you don't get them to release payment up front then at least be sure to always submit any work (even drafts) as the official final product. Don't just send a link to them by messenger. If you submit it officially it starts the 14 day waiting period, so even if the client requires revisions, at least the timer is ticking. If the client approves the work, then there's only a 5 day hold from that time.

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
Not really. I don't base proposals on knowledge of specific personalities anymore because if I'm wrong, then I'm REALLY wrong and totally blow any chance of a response. I do keep in mind the client's approach. Do they have a big picture focus or are they caught up in specific details? Do they talk in terms of action or analytics?

Not sure which videos you're referring to.

You can change your old profile. You'll probably be set to private until someone responds to one of your proposals and hires you. You can unlock a private profile by joining Upwork Pro for a month or just requesting their staff to unlock your profile through the community forums.

Yes, unless you're desperate for work or just getting started. I find U.S. clients are often willing to spend more, unless I'm dealing with a large company from overseas with a massive budget

I put in amounts by project, not milestones. Milestones are something to be worked out after you've been on a live call to find out what they actually need.

The best way is to require the client to fund, activate, and release the milestone prior to starting work. That way you only wait for the payment to process in Upwork. With hourly jobs I don't remember how the pay works because I don't do hourly. For fixed-rate jobs, if you don't get them to release payment up front then at least be sure to always submit any work (even drafts) as the official final product. Don't just send a link to them by messenger. If you submit it officially it starts the 14 day waiting period, so even if the client requires revisions, at least the timer is ticking. If the client approves the work, then there's only a 5 day hold from that time.

First, thank you for the great response.

The video I was referring to were two that took place earlier in the thread. The first one was about deleting your profile and the second one was how to write proposals and it was over 1 hour long. #63 and 74

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
Hey Lex:
Thanks so much for starting this thread. Progress report. Monday evening I searched upwork, found a job that is like 450. Bid that amount while everybody else was like lowballing.

The listing was vague and not enough description so I asked the poster what he wanted, what were his goals, his target audience, etc..

Then I went and repeated that with Freelancer. So we shall see what happens Tuesday morning. Hopefully can get both gigs and start Freelancer with good feedback and build up my previously although old, feedback.

Thanks again for the priceless info. Now while I do that, because I believe in the fastlane principles, I will be starting a digital agency also. Speed is of the utmost!

Rabcats

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 19, 2018
Philippines
Do you mean I can start with zero skills, when I am good at solving problems? Is there a problem solving training course? I mean how
much experience do I need? What is the minimal amount of Training I need to get started?f
If you would have to give me basic tasks, which courses would you assign me to?
@Rammsteinfanboy - it really depends on the training, skills-set and expertise you're in right now. For instance, I'm into digital marketing. I needed to have google certifications for me to compete apart from my skills-set. So the key here really is to identify first your skills-set.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Hey Lex:
Thanks so much for starting this thread. Progress report. Monday evening I searched upwork, found a job that is like 450. Bid that amount while everybody else was like lowballing.

The listing was vague and not enough description so I asked the poster what he wanted, what were his goals, his target audience, etc..

Then I went and repeated that with Freelancer. So we shall see what happens Tuesday morning. Hopefully can get both gigs and start Freelancer with good feedback and build up my previously although old, feedback.

Thanks again for the priceless info. Now while I do that, because I believe in the fastlane principles, I will be starting a digital agency also. Speed is of the utmost!
I would highly recommend sending out a ton more cover letters/bids per day. Good luck!
What do you plan on doing with the digital agency, by the way?

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
This thread is blowing my mind. I can't believe I only discovered it today. There is so much gold here. I started out way back in 2010 finding clients by posting ads on Craigslist. Boy things sure have changed since then. So many of my followers complain that they can't get accepted on UpWork. Now I can just send them the link to your YouTube video (before I do, is that ok?)

Far too many people get caught up in the excuse cycle or don't want to put in the hard work. Sure not every bid is going to get accepted, but as someone who hires people a lot on UpWork, I can tell you that the first thing I look at is the cover letter. Copy and paste letters are obvious because they are so generic. If there is no word in there that specifically mentions my task or industry, those get ignored.

Like many people. I now ask for people to write a specific word at the top of their application to prove that they even read the job. The problem with UpWork isn't that it's crowded with great workers. The problem is that it's crowded with people who apply for jobs they don't know how to do with copy/paste applications.

The first thing I do, when the applications roll in, is shortlist anyone who uses my code word or took the time to write something original. While I prefer to hire someone with loads of UpWork experience, a compelling application can get someone the job. I recently hired a lady to record an audiobook for me because I really liked her voice. Her profile was so new that she couldn't accept the job offer until she completed her profile.

Lex is right on the money that there is plenty of work out there for people who follow his process. I'm astounded at what he's sharing for free. I see a lot of people in this thread posting excuses or reasons why they need more qualifications or skills to get hired on UpWork, but it's just not true. Nobody looks at that. If you can do the job, then you're in the game.

The biggest lesson from this thread isn't technique, it's mindset. If you see every obstacle as an opportunity to overcome, success becomes inevitable.

I will definitely continue to watch this thread.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This thread is blowing my mind. I can't believe I only discovered it today. There is so much gold here. I started out way back in 2010 finding clients by posting ads on Craigslist. Boy things sure have changed since then. So many of my followers complain that they can't get accepted on UpWork. Now I can just send them the link to your YouTube video (before I do, is that ok?)

Far too many people get caught up in the excuse cycle or don't want to put in the hard work. Sure not every bid is going to get accepted, but as someone who hires people a lot on UpWork, I can tell you that the first thing I look at is the cover letter. Copy and paste letters are obvious because they are so generic. If there is no word in there that specifically mentions my task or industry, those get ignored.

Like many people. I now ask for people to write a specific word at the top of their application to prove that they even read the job. The problem with UpWork isn't that it's crowded with great workers. The problem is that it's crowded with people who apply for jobs they don't know how to do with copy/paste applications.

The first thing I do, when the applications roll in, is shortlist anyone who uses my code word or took the time to write something original. While I prefer to hire someone with loads of UpWork experience, a compelling application can get someone the job. I recently hired a lady to record an audiobook for me because I really liked her voice. Her profile was so new that she couldn't accept the job offer until she completed her profile.

Lex is right on the money that there is plenty of work out there for people who follow his process. I'm astounded at what he's sharing for free. I see a lot of people in this thread posting excuses or reasons why they need more qualifications or skills to get hired on UpWork, but it's just not true. Nobody looks at that. If you can do the job, then you're in the game.

The biggest lesson from this thread isn't technique, it's mindset. If you see every obstacle as an opportunity to overcome, success becomes inevitable.

I will definitely continue to watch this thread.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. I don't care if you send people to that video. Seems like it's still getting people approved based on the comments that pop up every once in a while.

Mindset is everything.

It's so easy to get work on Upwork. I hardly bother replying to naysayers anymore. What's the point? Send a good proposal, get a response. Prove you can help, get a response. Think about what the client really wants, describe how you'll give them that...get a response.

You can watch this thread, but I don't update it much. Once I hit full-time income levels for the second time, there was no reason to go further. I've been spending my time building a separate brand on the INSIDERS forums. Upwork has taken a back seat to that.

Upwork is still wide open for new freelancers hellbent on doing good work and performing their way into the hearts and minds of clients.

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
It is not just the mindset on Upwork it is also the attitudes on Freelancer.
Guy posted job on there and said I want US only freelancers.
5 people applied.
Not one was from the US, and then they wonder why they don't get hired!

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
I would highly recommend sending out a ton more cover letters/bids per day. Good luck!
What do you plan on doing with the digital agency, by the way?

Truthfully I am not sure. The amount of information is overwhelming. I"m not finding a multitude of good jobs on the freelancer forums right now, usually like 1 or two a day I"m interested in. I have 58 applications on upwork but only 8 on freelancer so that one will be slower.

I'm also creating an info project to help people on Facebook stay away from the crappy make money online multiple scams you see appearing there. It offers real legit work from home jobs and opportunities.

With the agency. I am still looking processing all the information, info overload, I abandoned restaurants and am thinking either plumbers or lawyers, one person practices that still have old style crappy websites,
but the search is tedious. Then the letters. I'm working on those. Hoping to get out maybe 1-2 a day and then finding the time around my work schedule to call them. All this while working all day in an unrelated, slow lane failing business of my own, while everyone around me screams at me to get a regular job.

I am tempted to, just to have the money to maybe do something like FBA by Amazon. Not giving up, but finding myself being tossed in several directions at once and feel like running around like a headless chicken. Not a very pretty site.
I have found methods of opening agencies and attracting leads for lawyers and home improvement as well as insurance agents, but you need to build a website install widgets for each niche, have a way to track and just more skills needed to build than I have. Lex must be a genius. LOL.

I would not be above finding a jv partner willing to work together to set something up and not charge me now but build something that could benefit both of us over the course of the long run. But sadly those only exist in fairy tales.

Sorry for the rant.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Well, well, well...I started Upwork roughly around December last year, and this popped up today.

Didn't pay much attention to this, but I'm not complaining. :)
upload_2018-11-27_17-48-33.png

I'm still working on restructuring and training my skill to be able to be packaged for a set solution. Will be easier that way, rather than bungling from one client to another like Tarzan blindfolded in the jungle. And then I will be able to cut down my profile writing and proposals.

Earlier on, although I stuck a lot to Lex's sample script, I still felt it was too long and needed more specifics.

And I should put a cap on how much 'free work' I'll be sending clients. Got cheated a few times. :rage:

EDIT: And this is with a regular university workload clog, with multiple quizzes and exams crashing and clashing at times(Fastlane meetups and business activities aside).:clench:

And somehow the USD converts to Ringgit quite handsomely. Was rather taken aback when the cash hit my account. Exporting products should be in my considerations lol.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Earlier on, although I stuck a lot to Lex's sample script, I still felt it was too long and needed more specifics.

If you're talking about the one in the video, I don't do my proposals that way anymore. Customization is key, but mainly my process is like this now:

Opening - Greeting
Sentence 1 - You-focused intro that repeats client's needs back to him
Sentence 2 - Me-focused statement that shows how I'm that exact thing and 1-3 credibility markers to back it up.
Paragraph 2 - Here's what you get and when you'll get it and any other benefits.
Paragraph 3 - Call to action to reply.

I don't send any free work to clients. I do attach samples sometimes.

Sampath

Be the Change that you want to see in this world
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 30, 2018
Canberra, Australia
This is one of the biggest reasons I don't care so much about taking big risks anymore. When you know you can make full-time income from anywhere in the world by like tomorrow...those other worries and hesitations just sort of fade away.

Originally I was just gonna post this progress on YouTube -- it wasn't specifically for the forum, but I'm sure some here will find it useful too. The people in the market I'm targeting aren't Fastlane entrepreneurs per se. They don't understand the mindset yet, unlike so many posters here. But I mention the Fastlane Forum in a lot of my videos so some end up making their way here anyway. The point is, the people I'm making these videos for DO make all kinds of crazy excuses, with market saturation being one of the most common, followed closely by, "there's no high paying clients" and "I can't get jobs."

Appreciate your courage and effort Lex. I am sure I have loads to learn from your experiment. Thanks

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
In case you're wondering this system WORKS. One of my followers has been trying to get on UpWork for a YEAR and kept getting denied. Last week she was denied again so I sent her the link to Lex's YouTube video. She deleted her account over the weekend and was approved today!

Very impressive indeed!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Plucked from my progress thread (lazy me lol)
Just to let you Upwork peeps know... the platform recently came up with SPECIALIZED PROFILES

Looks like a great way to show your niche, if you have any.

You can keep 1 general profile alongside these new profiles.

Hmm specialties offered are a bit limited for now...has stuff like animation,brand expertise, VR, voice actor and so on. Probably they'll have more stuff to come

View attachment 23756

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
My account got suspended last week after someone reported me for Terms of Service violation (for deleting my old account and starting over from scratch...)

Good news is, Upwork was on my side, and after contacting them they restored the account back to it's original status.

When it restored I was given the option to create a specialized profile once again. I think they gave me the option a year or so ago but they didn't offer it for any writing skills.

They still don't have it available for writing skills, so here's what I did...

I created a specialized profile under a different category. Once the profile was built and published, I just changed my info...

No idea how this will affect my SEO.

But I was able to change my title to something writing related, and crafted my bio around that skill. That way I can send proposals to writing gigs with the specialized profile.

If you get the option for a specialized profile...

Take it.

Then figure out how to use it to your advantage even if they don't allow your specific skill.

:)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I created a specialized profile under a different category. Once the profile was built and published, I just changed my info...

That's lateral thinking for you. Hopefully it won't hurt your SEO.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
That's lateral thinking for you. Hopefully it won't hurt your SEO.

If it does, I'll just get rid of it. No big deal.

I changed my skill last week to run a case study for an upcoming Udemy course on Upwork Profile Optimization.

Surprisingly, I was able to rank my profile at the top of both Google and Upwork search results in just 1 day. Didn't even know it happened until I was shooting the video lol!

Made for a good case study tho!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Surprisingly, I was able to rank my profile at the top of both Google and Upwork search results in just 1 day. Didn't even know it happened until I was shooting the video lol!

Wow, now that is powerful if it's useful keywords.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Wow, now that is powerful if it's useful keywords.

This time was for a sub-niche of the Sales Page Copywriter keyword. Sales pages can be worth quite a lot since their purpose is to sell. A good one easily pays for itself, as I'm sure you know.

But I can rank for just about any keyword skill at this point. Just wanted an up-to-date example to show. This one worked better than others have in the past.

Usually it takes at least 3 days before I start to see results on Google or Upwork.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
My account got suspended last week after someone reported me for Terms of Service violation (for deleting my old account and starting over from scratch...)

Good news is, Upwork was on my side, and after contacting them they restored the account back to it's original status.

When it restored I was given the option to create a specialized profile once again. I think they gave me the option a year or so ago but they didn't offer it for any writing skills.

They still don't have it available for writing skills, so here's what I did...

But I was able to change my title to something writing related, and crafted my bio around that skill. That way I can send proposals to writing gigs with the specialized profile.

If you get the option for a specialized profile...

Take it.

Then figure out how to use it to your advantage even if they don't allow your specific skill.

:)
Since you do copywriting, you can put it under 'brand strategy'.

I know that copywriting is just one part of the brand. But if you know bits of other stuff like web design, graphics and marketing, that can do.

I'm not at that point yet though. I'd like to do more work with my present clients first. I need more detailed testimonials and portfolio.

I can create some on the fly like before, but there will be a point when I have enough real life work from clients that I can display.

Don't worry about the SEO. The specialised profiles thing still new and rolling out. Give it time. The Upwork system said you could suggest new things to include in specialised profiles.

If it does, I'll just get rid of it. No big deal.

I changed my skill last week to run a case study for an upcoming Udemy course on Upwork Profile Optimization.

Made for a good case study tho!
Coincidentally, I found a job asking for me to help write their Upwork profile/proposal.

Not even an Upwork newbie. Already has clients up his belt.

There is clearly a market need for doing the profiles lol, never mind SEO.

The seasoned freelancers will be focusing more of their hours on billable work. So of course, they outsource the profile writing job.

The newbies who want a quick way out...welp, at least they'll pay us for it.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Don't worry about the SEO. The specialised profiles thing still new and rolling out. Give it time. The Upwork system said you could suggest new things to include in specialised profiles.

It's not that new. I posted about specialized profiles over a year ago. ;)

SEO is important because clients who can't see your profile can't contact you tho.

Without SEO, ranking in search is mostly a crap shoot and a game of luck.

On a side note, I did pick brand strategy and I wrote it up as a different skill.

Got invited to two branding gigs overnight. Interesting results.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jul 1, 2018
Hey @Lex DeVille Thanks for the great thread.

My issue is that I can't get approved on upwork.com. I applied over 50 times with different location, different skill set, made every attempt to make it work, read Google tutorials but I just can't get approved. (I live in Jordan)

What can I do about it from your experience?

Freelancer.com is just a screwed up platform. every time I bid (and my bids finish so fast) I never get the job even after I follow your advice and the amount of scams on the platform is unbelievable I don't even know if there's any chance for newbies.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Freelancer.com is just a screwed up platform. every time I bid (and my bids finish so fast) I never get the job even after I follow your advice and the amount of scams on the platform is unbelievable I don't even know if there's any chance for newbies.
Hmmm I have heard such a review before.

I just made an account there to see if I can have another channel of leads.
Sent off a few proposals yesterday. Replies should come on Monday or the weekend.

I still think there is a lot of room there to show value to clients. Just check some of the profiles of the freelancers there. Very 'Me me me' focused way more than Upwork.

Time to bring the 'gospel' there. :playful:

And lots of jobs pour in minutes by minute, looking at the pop-ups. At decent rates too. Many $30-50 per hour jobs, and some $AUD 500 jobs sprinkled in it. Just for sales copy.

I understand though on the 'scam' part. Odd for them to have you pay for basic tests, when Upwork offers them for free. But I think its an OK fee, as long you get clients to pay. Same goes for the membership subscription.

I applied over 50 times with different location, different skill set, made every attempt to make it work, read Google tutorials but I just can't get approved.
50 times???

Think something is wrong here.

I got in the second round. And my profile write-up was very half-assed, compared to today (I re-edited it just yesterday as well).

What's your top skillset? Done any past work with it before?

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jul 1, 2018
Hmmm I have heard such a review before.

I just made an account there to see if I can have another channel of leads.
Sent off a few proposals yesterday. Replies should come on Monday or the weekend.

I still think there is a lot of room there to show value to clients. Just check some of the profiles of the freelancers there. Very 'Me me me' focused way more than Upwork.

Time to bring the 'gospel' there. :playful:

And lots of jobs pour in minutes by minute, looking at the pop-ups. At decent rates too. Many $30-50 per hour jobs, and some $AUD 500 jobs sprinkled in it. Just for sales copy.

I understand though on the 'scam' part. Odd for them to have you pay for basic tests, when Upwork offers them for free. But I think its an OK fee, as long you get clients to pay. Same goes for the membership subscription.

50 times???

Think something is wrong here.

I got in the second round. And my profile write-up was very half-assed, compared to today (I re-edited it just yesterday as well).

What's your top skillset? Done any past work with it before?
I had web designer, website creation and all that web-related skills on it before with portfolio of 2 websites I made for free for clients.

Then after many tries I tried Arabic translation, and voice over related stuff lol still didn't work.
I also tried writer, sales, marketing, IT, video creation etc.etc.etc.

One guy on google said it's because I'm from a third world country :/ Any advice on what should I type? :p

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I had web designer, website creation and all that web-related skills on it before with portfolio of 2 websites I made for free for clients.

Then after many tries I tried Arabic translation, and voice over related stuff lol still didn't work.
I also tried writer, sales, marketing, IT, video creation etc.etc.etc.

One guy on google said it's because I'm from a third world country :/ Any advice on what should I type? :p
Don't think its the Third World issue. I actually had a client from a Third World country for an admin job, and he paid me decently, although we didn't work together for long.

Here's some questions to think of:

1. Why do your clients need web design? To convert visitors into buyers? To store portfolio work? To facilitate regular payments?

2. What is ONE major obstacle folks in your field struggle with, AND you can deliver on

3. What did those 2 clients say about your work? Anything good? Is the feedback relevant to what you offer?

You can put it in your profile write-up. It's easier for the clients to see that you can be trusted when someone else tells you so.

The only problem is that you may be tempted to fake your testimonials on the Upwork write-up.
So include the names of the folks and/or their business.

However, I have seen Upwork profiles of top freelancers (earned at least a few grand) that put in testimonials on their write-ups without the names of the people. Just something like this:

'Thank goodness I found Johnny's help to create product descriptions for my latest book launch! He really went all out to ask me about my target readers and to examine my reader reviews. He also had some fresh suggestions that made me rethink new angles to market my book.'

No name or anything to identify the testimonial giver. Just a statement.

And not all the testimonials come from past Upwork jobs.

4. Can you simplify what you can do into 3-5 steps? Something like an elevator pitch.

After that, try to fill in the other sections on employment and other experiences. Very heavily ignored by most folks, IMO.

I think I have to go back to those sections myself to make my offerings more relevant.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.