• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Lex DeVille's - 200 Mostly Offline Rental Business Ideas

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by Lex DeVille, May 8, 2019.

1. banjoa

banjoa Present

Rep Bank:
    $343
    How do you deal with people ghosting with your stuff?

A drone for example.

Lex DeVille likes this.
  2. Schwarz

Schwarz Half Man ; Half Goat Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $419
    More precisely, 3D PRINTERS!

Lex DeVille likes this.
  3. MakeItHappen

MakeItHappen Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,705
    I thought about this years ago and still like the idea.
    It's like simple mini real estate.
    In bigger cities the value of parking space is pretty high.

Lex DeVille likes this.
  4. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $54,543
    Have rental agreements just like any rental company, or use a third-party rental platform like Fat Llama who has their own agreements and insurance.

5. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $54,543
    If you want it to be a legitimate business then you better do more than just hope it grows. Legitimate businesses are made by people who make them grow.

ApparentHorizon likes this.
  6. Matt Hunt

Matt Hunt Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $167
    True. I guess what I mean by that is I'm unsure how much demand is there. Though we do have a local business here that rents out camera gear, so there must be some. But I'm in a local photography group on Facebook, and the subject of gear rentals rarely comes up.

7. Mckenzie

Mckenzie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $228
    WOW, what a list! Thanks Lex. I tumbled on number #9-extra room in your home- last year...It's sooooo good. The 2 spare rooms I have in my house bring me extra $20,000 p/y.

Lex DeVille likes this.
  8. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,732
    Just wanted to share this.

One of friends here in the area is building his own rental platform. It's called AirGym (AirGym) and it's targeted at people who:
    a) have home gyms and want to let someone from out of town use it, or
    b) small, local crossfit/regular gyms who want to let someone from out of town come and use their gym for the day. All for a small fee.

So, if you are traveling and want to find a local gym then you could go through AirGym. It's still pretty new and not sure how much reach it has across the US yet.

So, connecting people to use rental stuff is also a good avenue to keep in mind.

9. Tossek

Tossek New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $77
    What I have seen in my business area is that there is always a demand for ... climate test chambers (humidity and temperature). I already made some estimations on how this business would scale and it does not look to good.

Climate test chambers cost like 10 k each. They are extremely bulky and eat up electricity as hell (starts at ~ 2kw/h).

My idea would be to build up infrastructure and rent just the space for doing the testing. This would solve the "problem" the companies have for finding distinct spaces for them. However, you still need (at least) someone to carry out the testing and supervision. And this would mean you need >> 10 chambers and orders equivalent. I do not see how this can work out in the end :-(

Lex DeVille likes this.
  10. clickninja

clickninja New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $68
    here's another rental idea: roof boxes for your car.

they can match your car's color (some colors) and can be rented out in winter (ski) and summer (longer trips)

You can run some Ads to people interested in traveling that are also parents (because kids need lots of stuff when they travel)

You could get $25-$45 / day for something like this.
    Add the bars ($10-15/day) if the car doesn't have any.
    [​IMG]

ApparentHorizon and Lex DeVille like this.
  11. Jeff Noel

Jeff Noel Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,801
    Do you have hot leads, people ready to put down the cash to rent the item and maybe the worker that comes with it (at another $60+ hourly rate) ? How many customers or days rented do you need to make profit ? Is there enough need to justify an employee ?

Check your numbers, it'll give you a good idea on how long it would take to repay the loan and become profitable.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized the post I replied to is 2 weeks old.

12. 93world

93world New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $11
    Not sure if previously mentioned, but could you not run the whole idea through an app where you own none of the stuff?

Similar to a market place app, you allow members of the public to list items they don't mind renting or hiring out (drills, lawn mowers etc) and people can make offers on what they want.

People make spare money on items sitting unused, people get tools they need without paying, app owners/developers take a small percentage..

Maybe im being naive!

13. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $54,543
    You mean like Fat Llama?

Sure, you could do that. It's a different route to profit and there will be some special considerations. How will you handle insurance? How will you keep their property safe? Things like that. But someone could definitely start a similar website.

In the past I considered it and concluded that if I were going that route I'd take it local first. Start the marketplace in a single location, and draw people through word of mouth, and maybe sites like nextdoor.com. In time it can grow into a nice business, or scale internationally as Fat Llama has done.

14. Simon Ashari

Simon Ashari Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $629
    I had heard of people renting video game systems. It isn't a very wise financial decision but people still do it.

I just looked up an Australian website that allows you to rent an XBOX ONE 500GB version.

[NOTE: the following numbers are in Australian dollars]

You could buy one of these brand new on sale for about $300.

You could also rent one from this site for $48.45 per month on a 48 month rental.

$48.45*48= $2146.56

It's unfortunate that people make stupid financial decisions like that... but what can you do?

15. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $54,543
    There's a lot of judgment in that post. You have to consider the context to say whether or not it's a stupid financial decision.

If you just wanted to try out an xbox, and you discover you hate it, then you've saved yourself $250 for the system plus however much you'd spend on games.

If you have a gaming addiction and $48 allows you to rent the system, feel the pain of making that purchase, and helps you avoid spending all your time gaming, then it wouldn't be a poor decision.

If you rented the xbox for one day to prove you could adapt to the system, and beat a top player at a game of his choosing on a bet for $3,000 and you win, then you made a lot of money. Plus, if you're smart and you made a video, you can potentially go viral and make money off ads, affiliates, or any number of other things.

So whether it's a poor financial decision or not is really a matter of context and mindset. Do you have the mindset to make it a good financial decision? If so, then it might not be such a bad deal after all.

Sander likes this.
  16. Simon Ashari

Rep Bank:
    $629
    The price of $48 per month assumes you are locked into a 48 month contract.

They have a 'flex' plan for $58.37 per month.

Unfortunately, none of these rental plans come with games included.

17. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $54,543
    Source?

18. Kid

Kid Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,505
    Rent a music studio, recording studio - Studiotime

Lex DeVille likes this.
  19. Simon Ashari

Rep Bank:
    $629
    I didn't want to give them publicity or link juice... but here you go:

XBOX One Console

Lex DeVille likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.