The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's talk about DEATH...

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
This beautiful thing is going to happen to all of us.

What do you think about it?

What does it mean?

What happens after?

Was there any point in living?

Do we get an answer?

Are you scared?

Do you think about it often?

Does the thought of death make you appreciate your time even more?

I find it a fascinating subject

especially to hear what other people think

All opinions about death are welcome

thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
What do you think about it? - not much, necessary part of nature

What does it mean? - nothing special. if we wouldn't die, we could not evolve/adapt to a changing environment

What happens after? - nothing, same status that was before you were alive

Was there any point in living? - for you? no. for everything that comes after you that your actions has influenced directly or indirectly, yes.

Do we get an answer? - to what?

Are you scared? - no, why should I?

Do you think about it often? not really, not much to think about

Does the thought of death make you appreciate your time even more? - yes, but only if you don't infatuate over it. action, action, action, ...

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
What do you think about it? - A deeper question than it appears. As a prominent physicist once said, "We know that atoms of hydrogen, after 14 billion years, change into forks, human beings, trees, and rivers." One theory is that evolution has been happening on a universal scale for billions of years. The universe, itself, is evolving - repeating a cycle of birth and death for everything within it. In short, through the cycle of birth and death of human beings, the universe is evolving consciousness. In that sense, true death doesn't exist, neither does true life. It is simply the universe's evolutionary process, to what end is another discussion.

What does it mean? - Death is an evolutionary process. Life is an evolutionary process.

What happens after? - We are composed of the body, mind and spirit. Each will be re purposed by the universe to be whatever it needs.

Was there any point in living? - The point in living is the point. Unlike inanimate objects, human beings have the unique ability to separate himself from the universe - we think in terms of 'me' and 'everything that isn't me'. This duality maybe incorrect. We are no more separate from the universe than the cells in our body are separate from us. We perform a function, like our cells, even though we may not be aware of our purpose in the whole.

Do we get an answer? - Only if you think about it often.

Are you scared? - "The fear of death stems from the fear of life. A person who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

Do you think about it often? - Yes.

Does the thought of death make you appreciate your time even more? - Sometimes.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I used to say, and it was true when people would ask me questions like this, If I was to die today, It would be ok.. I have probably done more things than 99% of the people out there.. and most of those things more than once.

Do I want to die? NO.. I got a plan to live to be 110 years old.. Plans working pretty food so far.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

From a personal note, I think it's scary. From a humanist note, I think it's wonderful as it is the great equalizer. From a macroscopic note, I think it's irrelevant.

What does it mean?

I will die when my consciousness fades.

What happens after?

No clue. My atoms will be part of some other form, though. My consciousness will cease when the neurons in my brain stop firing.

On a personal note, the point was to fulfill my own purposes and desires. On a humanist note, the point was to allow the future humans of the world to live better. On a macroscopic note, it was irrelevant.

Do we get an answer?

To what, exactly? An answer to why we live? We live because the universe's conditions allowed us to. We die because it seems that everything has a beginning and an end, even though everything has neither a beginning nor an end. (Does that make sense to you?)

Are you scared?

Yeah, because I'm a bit attached to my consciousness. It's all I've ever known and to have it just disappear is scary. I think everyone fears oblivion in some sense or another.

I guess? I dunno what often means.

Sometimes. On occasion, I get a sense that I'm going to die and it gives me motivation to make my life better.

I kinda want to answer this again in 10 years and see what I say. Maybe in 10 years I'll stop trying to have the answer to everything.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Do I want to die? NO.. I got a plan to live to be 110 years old.. Plans working pretty food so far.

That's the exact number that I have been using since I was 15.

Are you scared? Death itself is not scary to me, It's the process that is kind of scary. I watched cancer literally eat away a family member. I couldn't wish that pain upon myself or anyone. That is kind of scary.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What do you think about it? Nothing really, just to make sure my one time here on earth is lived to the fullest.

What happens after? The world keeps turning. My spirit is in a better place with a God that has blessed my life in many ways.

Was there any point in living? Yes to make the most out of life and make the world a better place for you and people who love and care about you.

Are you scared? Sometimes, but I realize that it will happen one day. No reason to overly concern myself.

Do you think about it often? Nope, but It bothers me when I think about my dad's passing a little over 2 years ago.

Does the thought of death make you appreciate your time even more? Absolutely. Your most precious asset is time, you can not create more of it like you can with money. I ALWAYS try to ask myself if I am wasting time.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
My family is dead, I mean, gone to bed

So, I can add my own intimate thoughts too

DEATH

I kind of feel it, like a distant void that has some kind of gravitational pull effect. Almost like a black and botomless whirlpool

What does it mean?

The end. The end of my existance. Therefore the end of everything. And yet not. The end of something that had no beginning.

My generations will go on, and so will theirs. Until they die. Like absolutely everything

What happens after?

Back to the snug place I was born. I'm not talking about my dads testicles either. I'm talking about the place where you find yourself when you go to sleep every night; when you're not dreaming.

The world keeps spinning and turning, the universe throbs and expands. Stars are born, black holes spew energy violently. Distant galaxies are not so distant, because everything is knitted together.

But even the atoms that are holding hands, will eventually lose there monumental grip

The particles will drift apart and vapourise, it will be an infinitum of nothingness.

And Nothing happens

I like that response from Rickson9. So, I'll borrow that. This is the point

Do we get an answer?

Sometimes I like to think that if the infinite is true then an advanced civilisation will reconstuct our world and we will come back again, maybe just as a computer simulation in a quantum computer.

But now, when I ponder the ultimate question I find myself leaning towards. No, and I won't care anyway.

Are you scared?

Only scared as JohnP pointed out. Scared of a long, painful and miserable death.

I think of the couples that go off to switzerland to have themselves 'put down' WTF!!!! Does it really have to end like that? I hope not

Yes, at least once or twice a day. Always have done, always will. I have a massive respect for death. Not really looking forward to meeting it, I like being alive, but hey ho

Absotively

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
What do you think about it?- Its something that was inevitable ever since i was born.

What does it mean?-The universe is always changing. plants die, mountains move, earthquakes etc. To me its kinda like the universe is moving on.

What happens after?- Nothing. The same way you didn't exist before you were born is the same way you don't exist now. Your atoms just become other parts of the universe.

Was there any point in living?- Yup. To become conscious. To contribute to the universe in a productive way.

Do we get an answer? I'm sure we will.

Are you scared? Not really.

Do you think about it often?- No thats the last thing i think about. I should be thinking about life.

Does death make you appreciate you time more?- Yea. To waste your time is to waste your life. Find a priority so strong(a fastlane business) that the alternatives are not an option(TV, Video games, screwing around).

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I think this is a interesting subject! I am actually thinking about death on a daily base many times till a few month.

Well i think it's a part of live an evolution.

What does it mean?
Live in constant change and that is what death is all about.

What happens after?
I think that there is something like god so i don't think death is the end of my soul if this makes any sense.

Till i believe in god i think there is a point in living and that is that you and your family/friends live an happy and ethical life.

Do we get an answer?
I think so.

Are you scared?
Well i am scared to die with a lot pain also i would be sorry for leaving my family and friends but death doesn't scare me.

The last few month i think about death daily till i had a lot of tragedy in my family.

It does motivate me to use my time wisely for business and family. I don't want to waste any time on the tv and other senseless stuff anymore!

Actually something i did is create a timer for my 100. birthday so that i can see how much time i have left even if i would become 100 years. Here is a link to it: Countdown to Sep 4, 2089 in Albany

I often look at the timer and it always remembers me that time is the most valuable aspect of life! Looking at the timer motivates me to not waste my time with stuff that doesn't gets me closer to my goals.

Good thread.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

I think it totally sucks. its totally necessary but noone wants to lose loved ones or cause people we love sorrow and pain

What does it mean?
It means we have fullfilled our life's purpose and it is time for someone new to come and persue their purpose. out with the old and in with the new.

What happens after?
I have several differing veiws on this.
sometimes I think its just like going to sleep and never waking up. but not active dreaming sleep.

and I dont know how to talk about death without religion but that god will raise us all from the dead at a predetermined date sometime in the future and will judge us all together.

sometimes I believe if you didnt learn your lessons or didnt fullfill your journey you will be reincarnated over nad over untill you learn the lessons you need to move on.

sometmes I think peoples souls can be trapped here and unable to move on (ghosts)

then my favorite is going to heaven(or hell) and being reunited with everyone who has passed and wait for those I love still alive to join me. being able to watch over them while I wait :)

to me yes the point of living is life itself and to pass on your knowledge to others to help them be the best they can be. namely your children

Do we get an answer?
I believe one day yes we will all get an answer to every question we ever had!

Are you scared?
yes. not of actual death tho. but of leaving my children before they are grown and are able to care for themselves.

yes. everyday

yes and no. I try to teach my kids all that I think they can understand and try to make the best out of each day. but its hard in those moments that arent perfect to be appreciative.

I find it a fascinating subject

especially to hear what other people think

and this crazy program wont let me post as is because I wrote my responses in a quote its telling me I dont have 5 characters! lets see if it lets me post now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Man... Those are some deep questions, and they all relate back to the all important one, 'What is the meaning of life?'.

Fortunately after a couple weeks or so of reading this forum I now know that the meaning of life is to be a millionaire before <insert arbitrary date here>.

Also I'm pretty sure that the person who dies with the most Lambo's wins...

I'm kidding of course, but this thread was way too deep, so I had to add some comic relief.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009

It's the final adventure to life, the one thing we can all be guaranteed to experience.

What does it mean?

I don't think it means anything specifically. The end of one thing, to start another.

What happens after?

"I" become re-purposed for other uses

No - I feel like this one is going to linger in my head so I may very well be coming back and editing this

Do we get an answer?

No

Are you scared?

Only of the process of dying, not death though.

No

No

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
They save the best trip for the end - Charlie Sheen in Rolling Stone magazine

tumblr_lrv5ganhbQ1qk1txno1_400.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_lrv5ganhbQ1qk1txno1_400.jpg
    tumblr_lrv5ganhbQ1qk1txno1_400.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 140

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet

Death is only something that people of today cannot cure due to aging, or any other disease. Or due to freak accident.
What does it mean?
It means the end of life on Earth, and perhaps the end of your existence into oblivion. We are the same as a lizard or a turtle, or a rat. Alive on planet Earth, and have a much different IQ which enables us to think too much... so we try to come up with stories to help ourselves to sleep. What makes us so special? Look at the mentally disabled, and think, "What separates them from monkey? Same species, still stupid"
What happens after?

No point in living, unless we "pretend" it has a point. Everything eventually comes to an end
Do we get an answer?
No answer, since no one is listening.
Are you scared?
No. More afraid of being ugly then death
Sometimes.
No...

I plan to get treatment for my aging disease, so I can live as long as I can until either the universe ends or a freak accident happens. Why should I allow myself to die?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't usually mix business with religion. However...

What do you think about it? - I'm secure in my destiny.

What does it mean? - eternity, and the summation of life's choices

What happens after? - some living eternally with God, and some living eternally separated from God

Was there any point in living? - life's a living legacy to the Leader of the Band

Do we get an answer? - yep. and, the answer unfortunately may surprise some people.

Are you scared? - 0%

Do you think about it often? - only with relation to legacy, morality, and reverence

Does the thought of death make you appreciate your time even more? - when tragedies happen, it makes me realize how fleeting life is and how to measure every minute. However, I would just as soon accelerate eternity as postpone it. My future is secure.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I think people do far less in life because they overestimate the risk of being hurt, and at the same time, underestimate the complete assurance that one day the ride will halt.

Speed++

Death is not scaring me. I look forward to it, but of course hope it will come in appropriate time.

It's not making me appreciate time more. But my youth, that will end, makes me appreciate every second so much more.
For death I don't know when it will come, but for age I know when it will come, so I wanna live now!

So this is why I rush to fastlane like so many more.

I love this song lyrics and music (euro rap, discover something new ya'll:) - you know the refrain for sure.

Nana - I close my eyes (dust in the wind) - YouTube

EDIT: and have to give ya one more, now that I'm on the turntable:)

And it's related to the subject, but a very happy tune:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q1wr-bCJuU

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Death in everywhere and constant. Winter dies, summer comes. Nothing lasts forever.

To me, people die and become an example of how to live life, or how to not live life. Some people have succes (not nessecary money) and people will keep talking about the great things they did, others ruin their lifes and they become a sad story to scare your loved ones not to become like that. "Doing nothing" with your life, becomes a sad story. Being inpassionate about life too.. You don't have to major F*ck up to become a sad story.

Death doesn't mean anything. It's nothing. The moment you where born you where already dying. The most interesting thing is, what is life? People talk about 'my life' while life is all. Not a property. You are a part of life. Life continues when you die.

If there is a point in living, is up to you to decide. You can decide to do nothing and wait for death. You can procrastinate living. Whatever you achieve, accomplish.. no matter how succesful you become, no matter what.. the end result is the same for the loser as for the winner. So, for me, the meaning of life is leaving a legend. Leaving something for when I am dead. This can be a family story about me, which my family members can build their character on and use as an example to become happy in their own lives.. This can be in the form of a company that provides value when I am long gone. When you think about it, to give value and to set yourself aside is the only logical thing you can do, if you consider you will be dead and anything you do will be not for you, since you will be dead and gone. So, to me, it's about what you leave behind. This doesn't have to be in the form of money.

What answer? What is the question?

I am not scared of dying. To be free is to die beforing dying. Give value, not for yourself but because you are dead. Tic Tac.. Another second closer to death. What are you leaving behind? I think about death daily, it's all around you. I try to die a bit each day, to set my ego aside so I can actually mean and do something for this world.

Last edited:

bigtamale

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Jul 15, 2012
We die because it seems that everything has a beginning and an end

... mr. anderson

As the only creature on earth that communicates generationally (save maybe ravens), I'd say that's the point. To become a better species (evolve) due to technology (wheels->cpus) and archiving knowledge.

Sadly, the end result of the above line of thought is a very socialistic mindset .. which I certainly do not have. If we, as individuals, strive for greatness then a rising tide lifts all ships.

Personally, I'd prefer to get rich and avoid death by becoming bionic and/or would be perfectly happy having my consciousness cloned on a hard drive & plugged in "today's" communication medium, giving me a permanent spot in history.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.