The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's talk about consistency

Anything related to matters of the mind

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
I'm curious to hear what strategies you guys use to remain consistent.

Those days when you've got other shit in your head robbing you of motivation, direction, or simply feel like giving up, how do you guys stay on the path?

For the longest time, I've been the type that would have answered this question like "you're either doing it or your not" "take action and shut up the inner voice", etc.
But what I've come to realize is willpower is limited, it's exhausting, and isn't necessarily the answer. How do you remain consistent, set up a routine, and stick to it?

Much of my life lacks structure, I don't have a set routine, I struggle to stay consistent with the routine.

In the past year I have: quit my job, started a pressure washing company that made me about $70k profit my first year. I've bought 2 rental properties, flipped 1 house, and got my real estate license and sold 6 houses. I feel as if I've done a lot, particularly at the age of 22, but am ready to level up. I think consistency, structure, and routine are my keys to the next level.

What are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
get employees that can be consistent so that you can let your inner child out and change stuff :)

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Having a set routine when you wake up is pretty big for me and a lot of others here (The Miracle Morning).

- Make bed ( à la Admiral McRaven Texas speech)
- 20 pushups
- 20 situps / other ab exercise / or 20 seconds of plank
- 20 squats or lunges
- Light dynamic stretch
- Cup of green tea with a very small dark chocolate square
- Protein smoothie
- Shower
- Listening to one article from a foreign newspaper (Nachrichtenleicht - Startseite as I am trying to learn and retain German) (takes like 3-5 minutes) and Google translate anything I don't understand
- 10-15 minutes of studying/review/practicing anything programming related
- 10-15 minutes of reading anything business related (this forum, HBR, etc, can be quite varied)
- Review my Google Spreadsheets, which consist of all of my weekly/monthly expenses, active clients + monthly obligations, goals, and personal projects

All of the above takes 1 hour or less, and 30-45 minutes if you hustle.

I believe in extreme organization (Book of Tea) and practicing some level of minimalism - which is beyond just personal belongings, it also means not filling your mind with digital garbage which has no purpose (Digital Minimalism).

Daily hobbies include drawing in the sketchbook for 20 minutes (just started painting now as well) and either the gym, a run, or a calisthenic workout in a nearby field or in my room.

You may have noticed that I mentioned nothing about work. That's true (insert Rick Roll here... just kidding). Being consistent at work means setting yourself up for success. Through a daily morning routine, a lot of exercise, and constantly working to create a calm, non-cluttered state of mind, you create a healthy framework and structure that you can then plop your work into. It's like a sandwich of sorts. Start your day off great, end it great, and have a few fun & active activities throughout and you'll be able to work consistently with focus and a higher level of productivity.

TL;DR: To be consistent at work, be consistent at everything else you do and create good habits.

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
What helped me a lot about consistency is to set up SMALL daily goals because when your mind knows you have to do a thing that requires minimum effort you don’t procrastinate.

When you acquire the habit of accomplishing this small goal over the time you can increase and make it becomes a medium/big daily goal.

However I don’t know how much of this philosophy can be applied in business, because in business you have to grind and hustle harder than the others, but it’s certainly useful for other important things you wanna improve (health, sport, study etc.)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Much of my life lacks structure, I don't have a set routine, I struggle to stay consistent with the routine.

In the past year I have: quit my job, started a pressure washing company that made me about $70k profit my first year. I've bought 2 rental properties, flipped 1 house, and got my real estate license and sold 6 houses. I feel as if I've done a lot, particularly at the age of 22, but am ready to level up. I think consistency, structure, and routine are my keys to the next level.

What are your thoughts?

Your results so far have been great though at the same time.

What do you feel about not having a routine has been holding you back?
Are you missing out on important work, feeling like you are not seeing full potential etc?

josh_ting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jul 12, 2020
Australia
I'm curious to hear what strategies you guys use to remain consistent.

Those days when you've got other shit in your head robbing you of motivation, direction, or simply feel like giving up, how do you guys stay on the path?

For the longest time, I've been the type that would have answered this question like "you're either doing it or your not" "take action and shut up the inner voice", etc.
But what I've come to realize is willpower is limited, it's exhausting, and isn't necessarily the answer. How do you remain consistent, set up a routine, and stick to it?

What are your thoughts?
Wow this is amazing what you have achieved at 22! For me personally I definitely agree with @Dark Water and @Mario_fastlaner , small daily routines create an incentive to hit more goals and stay consistent with bigger routines. What I found useful was a checklist that I created on Todoist so I don't have to think about what to do next, and just follow the plan.

Pat D. Rick

uhhh...42?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jun 11, 2016
Good I stumbled upon this thread. I'm kinda struggling with the same thing right now. Especially with a consistent sleep cycle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.