The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Legal entities structure & tax optimization

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

JeromeB

New Contributor
Apr 7, 2017
Shanghai
Hey guys,

I am a french guy who's been living in Asia for 15 years, worked for big firms and opened 900 stores there... and now looking for having a new start with my own business. I follow my partner to the US and will set-up my chain of restaurants.

Anyone can advice me on the legal structure: It seems C Corp is the best option for me (especially as a foreigner) but in which state should I set it up?
In addition, each restaurant in each state should belong to the same legal entity or be a different entity?

How to optimize tax structure? I understand there are: sales state tax+state income tax+federal income tax, correct? What are the mechanisms to implement in order to minimize taxes?

Thanks in advance guys!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Oct 20, 2012
That's specialized advice that you should seek from an expert; accountant / CPA / attorney.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Speedway Pass
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Definitely get an attorney to set one up. Especially in the restaurant space as you need lots more legal/insurance guidance, luckily sounds like you have experience in that area if since you seem to have helped in opening up 900 locations before :) That's impressive.

OP
OP
J

JeromeB

New Contributor
Apr 7, 2017
Shanghai
You may want to consult with an Attorney or Accountant. This could be complicated and you want to get professional advice in my opinion.
Hi thanks for the answer, appreciate. I actually also plan to contact an attorney, I am asking on this forum too to cross information and find what's best. :)

Ravens_Shadow

one foot in front of the other
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 2, 2012
Cary, NC
As everyone else said, contact an attorney.

But i can tell you that it doesn't matter what state you incorporate in. If you're running a restaurant or brick and mortar in Florida, you need your llc or corporation setup in Florida if you only want to pay taxes in that state + federal. If you have a company setup in say Arizona, and your restaurant is running in Florida, you'd have to pay taxes in both states (from what I've been told). I may be 100% wrong, thus find an attorney

OP
OP
J

JeromeB

New Contributor
Apr 7, 2017
Shanghai
As everyone else said, contact an attorney.

But i can tell you that it doesn't matter what state you incorporate in. If you're running a restaurant or brick and mortar in Florida, you need your llc or corporation setup in Florida if you only want to pay taxes in that state + federal. If you have a company setup in say Arizona, and your restaurant is running in Florida, you'd have to pay taxes in both states (from what I've been told). I may be 100% wrong, thus find an attorney
Hi, thanks for the answer. It's also my understanding so far, except for some states like Delaware which does not have corporate tax if the corporation operates out of this state. It seems also that creating the corporation in the same state, where I would start to operate, is reducing the amount of authorizations (like "foreign qualification"...).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is the talk I gave at the 2020 Fastlane Summit on Mastering your Mind In this video you...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
LATE BIRTHDAY! I'm behind on everything this month, including getting promos out. Sorry, my bad...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock