The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning How to Sell and Starting a Web Design Business

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

MikeS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Apr 26, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi, fellow fastlaners.
I decided to get into the web design business and along with that, improve my sales skills.

I started learning web design a few months ago and I already have a decent amount of experience with building sites, but unfortunately, I got kinda stuck in the learning loop. Just because of the feeling that I need more skills before I start getting the first clients. I decided to put an end to that.

I decided to get on UpWork and I managed to get approved there. And yesterday I started applying for jobs.

So what are my goals for this month:
  • Get a good first client. (not necessarily well-paying client, but a client that will help me get good leads)
  • Grow my social media accounts related to my services.
  • Improve my English, to get more comfortable with closing sales with people from foreign countries. (I am from Europe, Czechia)

I would like to go more international with my services, simply because of the money and opportunities in the long term. With that said I would like to ask you a few questions:
  • Should I focus on finding my first clients in my country and look for them locally, or I shouldn't worry about that and try to look for anyone who could need my services? I feel like limiting myself in the beginning, could possibly hurt me in the long term. What do you think?
  • Any tips for recognizing the best first client?

Also, I would like to thank Fox for creating such a great content for people who want to get into this hustle.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MikeS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Apr 26, 2018
Czech Republic
Find the need. Solve it. Don't sell your services.

Start locally.
Don't search for best client. Search people who need help. You will get your initial best client.

Thank you for your advice! I actually already achieved the goal. The website is ready and it is about to be handed to the client. I even managed to get a great deal. $125 and 3 promised referrals. But I am still trying to look for other clients in the meantime. It is hard. I am trying to target people from other countries because for some reason I just feel more confident speaking English than in my native language.

I just don't know if I should focus on approaching, calling & messaging more people and try to get deals that way or focus on making it easier for people to find me, growing my social media accounts and hope that it will attract businesses. I just don't like to rely on hope. I feel like I need results first to attract businesses.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
$125 and 3 promised referrals. But I am still trying to look for other clients in the meantime

Focus on getting those referrals that you can leverage into endorsed phone calls or letters.

Easiest business you can get.

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
I'm currently in the process of starting something in this field. Currently, its just me, which is making it take a lot longer than I'd like. I'm just looking for the right person to join in. Message me if you'd be interested.

MikeS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Apr 26, 2018
Czech Republic
I'm currently in the process of starting something in this field. Currently, its just me, which is making it take a lot longer than I'd like. I'm just looking for the right person to join in. Message me if you'd be interested.

Hey man! I tried to send you a message but for some reason, it throws me an error saying that I can't start a conversation with you. Feel free to try it yourself and if it won't work, shoot me an email here: mail@michalstrnad.com. I would like to know more about what you are doing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.