• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB SCHOOL Learning How to Sell and Starting a Web Design Business

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by MikeS, Jul 17, 2018.

1. MikeS

MikeS Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $176
    Hi, fellow fastlaners.
    I decided to get into the web design business and along with that, improve my sales skills.

I started learning web design a few months ago and I already have a decent amount of experience with building sites, but unfortunately, I got kinda stuck in the learning loop. Just because of the feeling that I need more skills before I start getting the first clients. I decided to put an end to that.

I decided to get on UpWork and I managed to get approved there. And yesterday I started applying for jobs.

So what are my goals for this month:
    • Get a good first client. (not necessarily well-paying client, but a client that will help me get good leads)
    • Grow my social media accounts related to my services.
    • Improve my English, to get more comfortable with closing sales with people from foreign countries. (I am from Europe, Czechia)

I would like to go more international with my services, simply because of the money and opportunities in the long term. With that said I would like to ask you a few questions:
    • Should I focus on finding my first clients in my country and look for them locally, or I shouldn't worry about that and try to look for anyone who could need my services? I feel like limiting myself in the beginning, could possibly hurt me in the long term. What do you think?
    • Any tips for recognizing the best first client?

Also, I would like to thank Fox for creating such a great content for people who want to get into this hustle.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $236
    Find the need. Solve it. Don't sell your services.

Start locally.
    Don't search for best client. Search people who need help. You will get your initial best client.

MikeS, sunil11 and Andel like this.
  3. MikeS

Rep Bank:
    $176
    Thank you for your advice! I actually already achieved the goal. The website is ready and it is about to be handed to the client. I even managed to get a great deal. $125 and 3 promised referrals. But I am still trying to look for other clients in the meantime. It is hard. I am trying to target people from other countries because for some reason I just feel more confident speaking English than in my native language.

I just don't know if I should focus on approaching, calling & messaging more people and try to get deals that way or focus on making it easier for people to find me, growing my social media accounts and hope that it will attract businesses. I just don't like to rely on hope. I feel like I need results first to attract businesses.

4. marklov

marklov It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,523

Focus on getting those referrals that you can leverage into endorsed phone calls or letters.

Easiest business you can get.

MakeItHappen and MikeS like this.
  5. Spikeroo

Spikeroo Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $307
    I'm currently in the process of starting something in this field. Currently, its just me, which is making it take a lot longer than I'd like. I'm just looking for the right person to join in. Message me if you'd be interested.

BlackMagician and MikeS like this.
  6. Sebastya

Sebastya Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $1,457
    Nice work. I'm sure a referral fee for the first client would bring in a few leads also.

MikeS likes this.
  7. MikeS

Rep Bank:
    $176
    Hey man! I tried to send you a message but for some reason, it throws me an error saying that I can't start a conversation with you. Feel free to try it yourself and if it won't work, shoot me an email here: mail@michalstrnad.com. I would like to know more about what you are doing.

8. Mazzolini

Mazzolini New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $87
    What do you mean by “don’t sell your services”?

BlackMagician likes this.
  9. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $236
    Solve the need. Don't sell. If you can do that with your services, that's great!