The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learn any language while on the toilet (even if your IQ is lower than a chimps)

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

Deleted70138

First of all, by "taking a shit", I mean 15 minutes a day, otherwise you can do it anywhere. (Actually learning in toilet might lead to Pavlovian associations)

I've tried so many different strategies and tricks with multiple languages, that now I can learn any language within a year just by putting 15 minutes a day. Though native speakers might be saying how difficult their language is (everybody thinks their language is the hardest to learn), never forget that there are some dumb m*****f****rs speaking that exact language just merely being exposed to it. Therefore, the most import part of learning is:

1) Daily exposure - Feeling tired? did your puppy die? having your leg amputated? - good, make sure you find couple of minutes to expose yourself.
  • The best time is usually in the morning. Find couple of minutes in the morning to read, write or listen.
  • Change your phone and computer default language, which sometimes is annoying as hell, especially when you are in a hurry to get something done.
  • Write some words, quotes and sentences all over kitchen, toilet, shower, dining table - e.g. I had quotes of my favorite writer written on the living room wall, in such big letters that it was impossible NOT to read.
2) Start small - start by learning "Hello" on your first day, maybe "How are you" if you are really inspired, but no need to rush. For one of my languages, I was literally exposing myself to 1 word a day for several weeks, as I was busy, but the habit was established and eventually increased daily exposure.

3) F**k grammar - Probably the "learning the grammar" is the most terrifying part for language learners, and surprisingly it's the least efficient way. Forget that shit, instead focus on exposure, your subconscious mind's pattern recognition will do the work without burning your willpower.

4) Use platforms - my favorite way of exposure is choosing a platform, where I can establish daily ritual of exposure, here is my usual platform sequences:
  • Duolingo - I start with this one, just get used to basic words and sentences. I usually listen, write and verbally repeat words, E.g. - you see the word "Hello", read in your mind, write down and say it aloud. That's it. Make sure to turn off some annoying notifications and sounds though.
  • Apps - Sometimes I use both free and paid apps, usually when I want to expose myself to pronunciation.
  • Coursera - Many language courses here, usually with videos from 10-15 minutes, perfect for daily exposure. Usually I write down everything I read, so it helps with establishing neuro pathways.
  • Dating apps - manipulate your mind by kicking in some dopamine. Never reveal that you speak English, otherwise you will find an excuse to switch to it.
  • Podcasts - Have you just learned "Hello" in Japanese? good, now it's time to listen to some Japanese podcasts. You won't understand shit, but trust me it's all about exposure. Anyway it's much more productive than listening to music.
  • Youtube - I would suggest NOT to use youtube, because the nature of the environment is full of distractions and has negative influence on your psychi.
5) Talk - Use it frequently, teach couple of words to your niece, tell your significant other "I love you", respond people (even if they can't understand) with fancy words, find native speakers to talk with - If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.

We are what we repeatedly do, therefore learning is not an act, but a habit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
Great post! What languages have you learned so far?

I lived in Korea for 2 years and learned a bit (definitely could have learned much more if I put in the effort). Moved back to the US last year and I've recently been studying Korean again, essentially just enough not to lose what I already learned. At this point I'm just doing 10 or 15 minutes of memrise every day but it's not enough to make any real progress.
You're definitely right about immersion though. I started watching a Korean show (with subtitles) a few days ago and it's amazing how much I started to pick out of the dialogue after a few hours. I just found two Korean podcasts that I'm planning to listen to every day during lunch. This should be a sustainable habit that will give me some daily immersion without sitting down and watching a show.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
First of all, by "taking a shit", I mean 15 minutes a day, otherwise you can do it anywhere. (Actually learning in toilet might lead to Pavlovian associations)

I've tried so many different strategies and tricks with multiple languages, that now I can learn any language within a year just by putting 15 minutes a day. Though native speakers might be saying how difficult their language is (everybody thinks their language is the hardest to learn), never forget that there are some dumb m*****f****rs speaking that exact language just merely being exposed to it. Therefore, the most import part of learning is:

1) Daily exposure - Feeling tired? did your puppy die? having your leg amputated? - good, make sure you find couple of minutes to expose yourself.
  • The best time is usually in the morning. Find couple of minutes in the morning to read, write or listen.
  • Change your phone and computer default language, which sometimes is annoying as hell, especially when you are in a hurry to get something done.
  • Write some words, quotes and sentences all over kitchen, toilet, shower, dining table - e.g. I had quotes of my favorite writer written on the living room wall, in such big letters that it was impossible NOT to read.
2) Start small - start by learning "Hello" on your first day, maybe "How are you" if you are really inspired, but no need to rush. For one of my languages, I was literally exposing myself to 1 word a day for several weeks, as I was busy, but the habit was established and eventually increased daily exposure.

3) F**k grammar - Probably the "learning the grammar" is the most terrifying part for language learners, and surprisingly it's the least efficient way. Forget that shit, instead focus on exposure, your subconscious mind's pattern recognition will do the work without burning your willpower.

4) Use platforms - my favorite way of exposure is choosing a platform, where I can establish daily ritual of exposure, here is my usual platform sequences:
  • Duolingo - I start with this one, just get used to basic words and sentences. I usually listen, write and verbally repeat words, E.g. - you see the word "Hello", read in your mind, write down and say it aloud. That's it. Make sure to turn off some annoying notifications and sounds though.
  • Apps - Sometimes I use both free and paid apps, usually when I want to expose myself to pronunciation.
  • Coursera - Many language courses here, usually with videos from 10-15 minutes, perfect for daily exposure. Usually I write down everything I read, so it helps with establishing neuro pathways.
  • Dating apps - manipulate your mind by kicking in some dopamine. Never reveal that you speak English, otherwise you will find an excuse to switch to it.
  • Podcasts - Have you just learned "Hello" in Japanese? good, now it's time to listen to some Japanese podcasts. You won't understand shit, but trust me it's all about exposure. Anyway it's much more productive than listening to music.
  • Youtube - I would suggest NOT to use youtube, because the nature of the environment is full of distractions and has negative influence on your psychi.
5) Talk - Use it frequently, teach couple of words to your niece, tell your significant other "I love you", respond people (even if they can't understand) with fancy words, find native speakers to talk with - If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.

Yes team Duolingo! It's definitely good to get the fundamentals down, as their lessons are always sort of funny lol.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I used a lot of those language apps but the best thing for me learning Spanish was an audio book by Paul Noble

D

Deleted70138

You're definitely right about immersion though. I started watching a Korean show (with subtitles) a few days ago and it's amazing how much I started to pick out of the dialogue after a few hours. I just found two Korean podcasts that I'm planning to listen to every day during lunch. This should be a sustainable habit that will give me some daily immersion without sitting down and watching a show.
Nice. I used to speak Korean while working with an agency from Korea, but forgot it all. What's your level?

we can type shit but we can't type a$$?
You can, but dollar signs look much sexier.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
1. Find a list of 1000 most common words. Create your own flashcards of them in Anki or for the lazy ones, find a ready set in Anki (they're available for most major languages). Depending on how much you study and how different the language is from the one(s) you already speak, you can memorize most of them in a few weeks to a couple of months.

2. Starting from day one, work with a private teacher. Find one on Italki. Tell them to avoid English/other shared languages as much as possible and just use your target language as much as you can.

3. Watch TV shows, movies, videos on YouTube, etc. I wouldn't use subtitles that much (and subtitles in your own language never at all) because you won't be training your ear much if you always resort to reading them.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
1. Find a list of 1000 most common words. Create your own flashcards of them in Anki or for the lazy ones, find a ready set in Anki (they're available for most major languages). Depending on how much you study and how different the language is from the one(s) you already speak, you can memorize most of them in a few weeks to a couple of months.

2. Starting from day one, work with a private teacher. Find one on Italki. Tell them to avoid English/other shared languages as much as possible and just use your target language as much as you can.

3. Watch TV shows, movies, videos on YouTube, etc. I wouldn't use subtitles that much (and subtitles in your own language never at all) because you won't be training your ear much if you always resort to reading them.
Does listening really help? There was one polyglot who said he knows around 20 languages, and his strategy was just doing rehearsals. Listening in a foreign language, seeing the subtitles or the words being spoken , and then repeating the sentences out loud. He said that helped him a lot.

What's your experience with it?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Does listening really help? There was one polyglot who said he knows around 20 languages, and his strategy was just doing rehearsals. Listening in a foreign language, seeing the subtitles or the words being spoken , and then repeating the sentences out loud. He said that helped him a lot.

What's your experience with it?

Listening helps with listening but it doesn't help that much with speaking (except helping improve your accent) and writing. You can only learn that through doing. Of course, listening is better than nothing but in the end you don't want to be a passive speaker of another language. You want to be active and actually say what you want to say rather than only understand what others are saying.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Listening helps with listening but it doesn't help that much with speaking (except helping improve your accent) and writing. You can only learn that through doing. Of course, listening is better than nothing but in the end you don't want to be a passive speaker of another language. You want to be active and actually say what you want to say rather than only understand what others are saying.
Yeah, good point. Oh and gaming is pretty good too. That's why boys learn foreign languages better than girls statistically speaking. Because you're immersing yourself in the language and you might speak it from time to time?

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii

This.

Some words are more important than others. After WW2, the U.S & British wanted to spread the english language throughout the whole world.

They came up with 850 of the most useful and common words carefully picked by a linguist.

NajTheDon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Apr 3, 2020
New York
Yes, I actually started doing this last year with Spanish. Used DuoLingo daily in combination with a Udemy course along with talking to Spanish speakers at the store. Ahora hablo español :smile: Small actions daily really begin to add up.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
That's why boys learn foreign languages better than girls statistically speaking.
Where did you get those statistics?

In all my years of language teaching I've never come across that fact.

It's widely accepted that girls acquire foreign languages better than boys due to neural pathways, which I cba to explain. (Males have an extra process which impedes verbal fluency )

And girls sing songs in the target language whilst boys are generally reluctant.
That's why females are usually more fluent.

Listening is the first language skill we acquire.
There's no point being able to speak a language if you don't understand the reply.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I would say the most important of those is number 5, talking. Without practice things just go stale. I tried Mandarin a while back and got quite far along the journey. It got to a point whereby I was going to Chinese restaurants just to practice. However a Chinese friend or two would have been better.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Where did you get those statistics?

In all my years of language teaching I've never come across that fact.

It's widely accepted that girls acquire foreign languages better than boys due to neural pathways, which I cba to explain. (Males have an extra process which impedes verbal fluency )

And girls sing songs in the target language whilst boys are generally reluctant.
That's why females are usually more fluent.

Listening is the first language skill we acquire.
There's no point being able to speak a language if you don't understand the reply.
Hello,

I got this information from a guy I follow who's got a franchise of language schools(scattered across Eastern-Europe; Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Czech Republic etc.). They also got some in the Southern and Northern American market too(Mexico, United States and Canada, Bolivia, Salvador etc.).

Btw this guy is also a polyglot who speaks I believe 8-9 languages pretty well. This study might've been done in Poland, which explains why that is. Poland is full of world class gamers.

Salossa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 26, 2021
Nothing helps me. I forget to do tasks for 15 minutes and during the day I forget everything. I realized that I need to be in an environment where there is another language, and there I already learn quickly and by ear, by intonation, I understand what they are saying to me. I need to be thrown somewhere and picked up in a year.

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Hello,

I got this information from a guy I follow who's got a franchise of language schools(scattered across Eastern-Europe; Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Czech Republic etc.). They also got some in the Southern and Northern American market too(Mexico, United States and Canada, Bolivia, Salvador etc.).

Btw this guy is also a polyglot who speaks I believe 8-9 languages pretty well. This study might've been done in Poland, which explains why that is. Poland is full of world class gamers.
Hello!

Oh wow, a study of Polish gamers.
That's unfair to females it's a male dominated sport.

Then again, calling gaming a sport is a bit of a stretch.
If it's a sport, then gamers are athletes.
But bookies do let you bet on them, E-sports lol.

What's next, Olympic texting

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Hello!

if gaming is a sport, then masturbation is heavy lifting.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
"So you Gen-Z people call gaming a sport? When I was a kid, we would never call that dumb thing a sport! When you grow up you will be nothing and live under the bridge, you ungrateful youth! Now go become a real athlete and start playing chess!"

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
if gaming is a sport, then masturbation is heavy lifting.
An individual sport as opposed to a team sport?
With weight categories?

I see it more like tennis.

Ladies doubles etc

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hello!

Who said that gaming is considered a sport? I said that because males in Poland have a much higher competence level of the english language compared to females. Again, it might be different for other countries/continents. In Scandinavia for example, the level of skill is about the same for both genders when it comes to foreign language skills, probably because of the good education the countries provide here.

D

Deleted70138

Actually I'm wrong. You can't learn anything in 15 minutes a day. You need to put at least an hour a day.

D-Man

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 20, 2019
I'll try some of your tips. My girlfriend is Mexican and i am in her house East L.A. almost everyday and she talks Spanish to me almost daily. Fun Fact: My Ex from Huntington Beach tried to learn my mother tongue, German. I think she used and App as well.

D

Deleted70138

I'll try some of your tips. My girlfriend is Mexican and i am in her house East L.A. almost everyday and she talks Spanish to me almost daily. Fun Fact: My Ex from Huntington Beach tried to learn my mother tongue, German. I think she used and App as well.
Switching languages might ruin relationship. I don't know exact psychological reasons for that, but it happens to be the case. I would recommend not to even mention studying Spanish.

D-Man

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 20, 2019
Switching languages might ruin relationship. I don't know exact psychological reasons for that, but it happens to be the case. I would recommend not to even mention studying Spanish.
You might be right lol. Never thought about that!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.