The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Landing Page Teardown Thread

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
Kasper,

This is my structure :

* They sign up and get the freebie promised in the landing page
* They then get 6 or 7 more emails, each with another PDF freebie (all the freebies are excerpts from my course)
* In the last of those emails, I pitch my product, which is a course for beginners, teaching them how to play 6 songs, but also how to play chords properly and how to change between chords. It's very detailed and thorough (it took me almost 10 months to create)

The reason why I'm pessimistic is because if i'm paying $44 for 1 subscriber, there's no guarantee that they're going to buy my course when I eventually tell them about it. If they did it would be a miracle because it would be a 100% subscriber--->customer ratio.

If I was going to have a 10% subscriber--->customer ratio (which I imagine would be more realistic), I'd have to spend $440 to make $97. Even a 50% ratio would mean I'd have to spend $88 to make $97.

And that's why I don't know if this is going to work. The numbers aren't in my favour.

I like the idea of trying to sell the course immediately from the landing page, but from everything i've heard, that's a bad idea. It's better to gain trust first because people are unlikely to buy straight away.

Unless I'm wrong. Do you really think it's possible? Would people really buy my product based on nothing other than a landing page? I'm prepared to try it, but only if it's realistic.

Also could you tell me where you got the photo that you used in your example earlier on? I'd like to use something similar. Or maybe that exact photo, of that's ok.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
People are searching because they want to learn how to tune their guitar. They clicked your ad because the headline is relevant. They now have to give their email address to get what they were searching for.

What if you put the 6 pages up there for them to read? Maybe you track how many read all the way to the bottom? Maybe you put your paid offer or signup to a free 7 day email course at the bottom of your page?

You could also remarket to visitors that hit that page.

Lots of things to try.

One crucial thing is to try and put yourself in their shoes. Why do they not want to subscribe to get free info? Were they expecting to find that information somewhere on the internet for free? Do they think they can click the back button and find that information somewhere else without giving away their email address to someone they know nothing about?

People only tune into one radio station, and it's WIIFM... What's In It For Me?

Finally, try and see this as feedback, not failure.

(Plus your numbers are very low to draw too much insight from.)

EDIT: Also try just selling your paid product in the first place. See who's already selling something similar and how they're doing it. Check out Udemy for paid courses (and free ones too). Check ads on Google for paid courses etc.

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
Let me suggest some design tweaks.

Please, change this font on your site.

Verdana is a safe bet imo. Or Arial. Arial Narrow. Just pick a sans-serif one.
Change font size. It makes your future subscribers have to scroll down for their PDF.
Make header more like 24px, content 18px.

Make the elements on the "list" capitalized, and in smaller font, like 13-14px.

Here's my simple mock-up for the changes (oh, and I changed the button color into more orange-ish, [HASHTAG]#cc6000[/HASHTAG] in hexadecimal. It suddenly works with your image color palette :) ):

t4ydyr.jpg

And I don't know about you, but when I visit your site, there's a big-a$$ footer

"This site was made with WIX.com. Create your own for FREE! >>"

It doesn't look well. It might scare your future subscribers away.

If I were you, I'd fetch come cheap hosting, install WordPress, look for WP Plugins for making landing pages and work from there.
And/Or find a way to embed the e-mail input form somewhere ON your site. Don't make them click twice for your PDF.

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
I've made all the changes that you suggest, except that I don't have the option of orange for the CTA button, so I used brown. I used Verdana.

Landing Page 4.jpg

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
I've changed it again, now I've added the opt in form. http://johnnymontoya.wix.com/howtotuneaguitar

But there are 2 problems :

1 - It looks amateurish
2 - When they put in their email address, a scroll bar appears on the right side, and some writing appears below, which is just the default MailCheat(Chimp) text where it says check your email (as opposed to the text that I set up in MailCheat(Chimp)). There's no thank you page, and it's just weird. But it does work. I tested it twice.

I guess I could just keep it and see if people subscribe, even if they're as irritated by that scroll bar as I am.

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
Currently in Calgary/Kelowna
Great Action, Keep up the work!

Personally I would never give out my email to a site that is free hosted. Get a URL for 10 bucks and get wix to host the website for you, I think its very cheap like 4/ month.

The reason I wont sign up for something that looks like a geocities site is that I think its like 10 years old and may not be in business anymore.

Ton's of potential here just get a domain and keep tweaking!

GL

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
I've got a godaddy account and the best available options for a url are :

howtotuneaguitar.co
howtotuneaguitar.info

Which do you think is best? Also would having a domain name get rid of the WIX thingy at the top right and bottom of the screen?

Last edited:

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
Currently in Calgary/Kelowna
I've got a godaddy account and the best available options for a url are :

howtotuneaguitar.co
howtotuneaguitar.info

Which do you think is best? Also would having a domain name get rid of the WIX thingy at the top right and bottom of the screen?

To get rid of the WIX at top and bottom you need to purchase a wix subscription. Their Unlimited Plan is $6 / month and you can cancel at any time. They also sell domains probably for a similar price just goto wix.com and look under subscriptions.

If you purchase from godaddy they will have details of how to link your domain to your wix website. This will allow your address of howtotuneguitar.info link directly to your wix website however it will still show the built by WIX for free icons on the website until you purchase a subscription.

Some of the wix subscriptions also come with ad words vouchers etc.

Hope that helps!

nem112

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 22, 2015
I think that you should get the .info because it will convey the impression you are trying to give better

prof

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 21, 2015
Chiang Mai
You're wasting too much time on this.

Your landing page still looks amateur. You've made changes but they are not significant enough to expect a significant uptick in CTR or CR.

Go here: https://www.leadpages.net/the-ultimate-list-of-free-landing-page-templates

Download 3 of those free landing page templates - ideally ones that are drastically different from one another.

Modify each template to suit your requirements keeping the headline / copy / images the same for each one.

Split-test the landing pages against each other and see which style responds best.

Once you have a winning style begin split-testing images. Once you have a winning image, split-test the headlines. Once you have a winning image and headline, split-test the button colour. Once you have a winning image, headline and button colour, split-test the copy.

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
If I upload my product to Gumroad and use that as a landing page, and just sell the product, would that be a good idea?

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
Weird. since I changed my landing page, I had 1 subscriber yesterday and 1 today. That's better than it's ever been. And my cost per click is extremely low. And that's on a budget of £1.43($2.11) a day.

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
I've been working on a pitch page for clickbank, and an affiliates page. I think they're both pretty good but I'd like some feedback.

Here's my sales page : http://johnnymontoyaguitarcourses.com/playsongscorrectlyonguitar/
Here's my affiliates page (there's 4 parts to it) : http://johnnymontoyaguitarcourses.com/playsongscorrectlyonguitar-affiliates-welcome/

Please note that they're not 100% finished.

nem112

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 22, 2015
Congrats on finishing your sales page and affiliates page!

How many sales have you made so far?

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
Congrats on finishing your sales page and affiliates page!

How many sales have you made so far?

None. I haven't finished. I'm having some technical difficulties, and until they're fixed I'm just making small changes here and there, and looking for feedback on the pages.

nem112

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 22, 2015
Your sales page looks good to me; nice clean design. I like how you don't get too technical.

Your affiliate page also looks great but 75% commission is a lot. If I were you I would scale that down a little bit

Johnny1975

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 21, 2015
Your sales page looks good to me; nice clean design. I like how you don't get too technical.

Your affiliate page also looks great but 75% commission is a lot. If I were you I would scale that down a little bit

I know it's a lot, and I'd like to offer less, it's just that I've heard that 75% is ideal for affiliates. Maybe I could offer 70% or even a bit less, but I have no way of knowing if I could get away with that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.