The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Killed by yellow jackets

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
It's possible I might have found the nest on foot first, if I checked everything before mowing. Then again, I might have found it by falling into it. Then I would have been partly underground and surrounded by wasps. The main thing is whether you notice a few half-inch bugs buzzing by, when coming out of the bright sun into a shaded area under mossy tree boughs. If your vision adjusts miraculously quickly in this situation, you might see them first.

I guess in the future I could be suspicious of areas that transition between full sun and full shade. Trim the tree branches higher for better visibility. Eradicate all fern beds, since they hide ground nests apparently. Make the whole yard flat and uniform so that anything different stands out like a sore thumb. Maybe that's why we invented these silly uniform lawns with mowed grass in the first place... to make a large easy to understand space where something abnormal can be recognized at a glance.

I'll tell you... I went out today and trimmed some things, broke down rotted wood, eliminated some areas that could be future nests or that prevent me from nerfing the terrain. We're on a few acres, so there are lots of hiding places. Making those places less likely to grow wasps, or water moccasins, or whatever else might come, seems like a reasonable reaction to me. Well, it's my reaction anyway.

Still, sometimes there's nothing you can do. Things will take you by surprise. You will or won't survive. I think living in fear of random accidents would be foolish... there are things you can learn from, and things you can anticipate, but there are plenty of things you just have to live your life in spite of, and react as best you can when you encounter them.

@Creed mentioned to me that Hans Scheepmaker, a well known director in the Netherlands, just died as a result of falling into a wasp nest. He was not allergic. I empathize with the man, and I'm sorry to hear someone died this way so recently. I suspect there is no reasonable way he could have had foreknowledge that he would stumble into a nest. In hindsight maybe we could think up a plan to prevent this one thing, but every bad situation is different. React and learn as appropriate, but don't let the possibility of bad things prevent you from pursuing the good things.
Wow man, even after such an incident you still have such a positive and healthy attitude. I agree with everything you said above wholeheartedly. Many times the fear one can get after such events is worse than the risk of any such event happening.

Have you always had such an attitude towards things, or is it something you've worked at and developed over the years? Just asking because I find this admirable in you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Saavedra

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 4, 2013
I'm glad you are okay.

Sounds like a reason to get a robot lawnmower? If you paint it yellow/black then it might become the queen for them.

Why in gods name nature make bees die off and let wasps remain, guess we are being punished for pollution.

Where I live wasps are not that big, but they do build small nests, specially during dry summers. Have removed two small nests the size of a closed hand, it was pretty satisfying. To h* with them.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Wow man, even after such an incident you still have such a positive and healthy attitude. I agree with everything you said above wholeheartedly. Many times the fear one can get after such events is worse than the risk of any such event happening.

Have you always had such an attitude towards things, or is it something you've worked at and developed over the years? Just asking because I find this admirable in you!

Thank you :) I think I've mostly had a tendency to see adversity as something I can learn from or interpret positively, and to not let bad events ruin my outlook. However, acknowledging that as a good tendency, I have also cultivated it.

In the case of the wasps, I'm actually glad it was me who stumbled into them, if someone had to. The other people who might have are my wife, my 11 year old daughter, my 68 year old mother with an injured knee, or one of several men in their 70s who live nearby. I was clearly the most likely to come through without ill effects.

I have witnessed exceptions to the "learn from and/or positivelty interpret adversity" rule, that just have no redeeming qualities. But as much as possible, I don't dwell on those after the fact. If you can, think about things that make you happy, healthy, productive, content, etc.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I'm glad you are okay.

Sounds like a reason to get a robot lawnmower? If you paint it yellow/black then it might become the queen for them.

Why in gods name nature make bees die off and let wasps remain, guess we are being punished for pollution.

Where I live wasps are not that big, but they do build small nests, specially during dry summers. Have removed two small nests the size of a closed hand, it was pretty satisfying. To h* with them.

Definite yes to the robot lawnmower. LOL.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
During my afternoon swim today I was harassed by a wasp that was the size of a hummingbird. I can't imagine how terrifying it must be having 1000 of them coming at you. Needless to say, I cut my swim short as I thought of this thread.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Hadn't seen this thread until late today. Kinda odd.

I was outside baiting for mice around my house today ( I live in a rural area ) and I have a shed I put the bait in. Going into the shed I could hear a slight hum and noticed I was staring at a shed full of wasp nests. as I walked in.

Nothing large, maybe several the size of a grown man's fist ( paper wasps ) and many many more that were smaller all in the shed. I took my time killing them and running away with spray over a few hours ( took breaks ). It was more than I have ever killed in 1 event.

My wife is highly allergic to wasps and it's hard to get to an emergency room or hospital here. My kids haven't been tested, but I assume they are too. So, it's up to me to always kill these insects when I see them any chance I get.

I've came across a few hornets' nest as well early this year.

I'm prob gonna have to proactively start looking for ground nests. Not sure what to look for though.

Thanks for making this thread.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
The part he did dig up was big enough to stash 3-4 bodies
Did the bodies stay there or did you remove them once you figured out the size

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas

There must be a wasp/hornet infestation throughout the country. Maybe its those Chinese hornets because I was almost stung by wasps 2 days ago. I was out in the yard cutting off a branch and didn't realize there was a hornets best above me. Luckily they didn't sting me because I heard them before they they even got close to me. I had my wireless earbuds with ambient sound on which amplifies the sorrounding sounds.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Did the bodies stay there or did you remove them once you figured out the size

Hypothetical bodies ;) "A big enough hole for a few people to cram themselves into."

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I'm prob gonna have to proactively start looking for ground nests. Not sure what to look for though.

They can be pretty well integrated into the surroundings. This is a photo of the main opening post-exterminator, but before he came back to dig it up. You can see a bit of structure sticking up, but it's mostly covered in pine needles and leaves. Mostly, I think, you have to notice the drones zooming in and out of the area.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
They can be pretty well integrated into the surroundings. This is a photo of the main opening post-exterminator, but before he came back to dig it up. You can see a bit of structure sticking up, but it's mostly covered in pine needles and leaves. Mostly, I think, you have to notice the drones zooming in and out of the area.

View attachment 34411
Holy cow... I’m glad you’re okay, @Rabby.. What a close call .

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
My first thought about all this is, "Ok, I'm going to wear a beekeeper's outfit every time I go outside." ... but then, I'll probably end up being taken out by an asteroid or a local mountain lion.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
In the case of the wasps, I'm actually glad it was me who stumbled into them, if someone had to. The other people who might have are my wife, my 11 year old daughter, my 68 year old mother with an injured knee, or one of several men in their 70s who live nearby. I was clearly the most likely to come through without ill effects.
That’s a sobering thought. What an amazing way to look at it too.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
That is one intense experience.

Thank goodness you had a pool.

How are you recovering?

I'm fine now. Still taking antihistamines, 'cause as soon as I stop I get red and itchy all over. But no permanent damage.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Damn, glad you're ok @Rabby

View attachment 34411

(Just because we're into entrepreneurship):
What about small camera in visible or infrared light
that would be coupled with computer to make visual recognition.
Basically detecting patterns of movements above the grass .
Or zoom and scan whole field.

The thing could be mounted above the doors or even tree.

EDIT: On a second thought, maybe it wouldn't have to be camera but
radar capable of detecting small objects.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Damn, glad you're ok @Rabby

(Just because we're into entrepreneurship):
What about small camera in visible or infrared light
that would be coupled with computer to make visual recognition.
Basically detecting patterns of movements above the grass .
Or zoom and scan whole field.

The thing could be mounted above the doors or even tree.

EDIT: On a second thought, maybe it wouldn't have to be camera but
radar capable of detecting small objects.

Yeah, I've been discussing anti-yellowjacket inventions quite a bit lately. Most half serious. But detection would be valuable. They tend to catch people unawares.

This made me laugh :D
Glad that you are safe buddy.

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen
If you want a device that will save your life when you run over a nest, I can think of two:

1. A CO2 sprayer that decoys the swarm
2. An exterminator's smoke bomb

Why not combine the two for maximum effectiveness? Put it in a smoke grenade on your belt. In case of emergency, pull the pin, drop it, and I guess roll around on the ground to crush the ones already one you. Not on the nest, mind you.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I just feel like pulling too much but:
If such device could be done, you would have nice advertising angle.
"Yellow-jacket attack survivor invents nest detector!"
"So close to death that he forgot to breath... then he invents anti yellow-jackets radar!".

Ok, i'm stopping thinking!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.