The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just quit my job

Anything related to matters of the mind

DogsBreakfast

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Mar 5, 2015
I have a strange feeling of calmness and excitement. I began reading the MF for the second time and realised what a beautifully crafted masterpiece it is. The book played a part in me quitting my job today. I didn’t leave on the best of terms, but I really did not have a choice.

Right now, I am in my apartment in Japan… and tomorrow, I’m going to Eastern Europe. Why Eastern Europe? Well I have some great friends there which gives me the first F- Family/Friends. Its cheap so I can live off my savings for a bit which gives me F-Freedom. And I also can stay F-Fit. Temporary happiness until I have money coming in.

I have worked a low paying and long hour English teaching job for the past 5 months. I came here in the first place because my life needed a drastic change. Living here I’ve developed consistency in working out, eating healthy as well as waking up early. But even when I was waking up at 5am, I soon began to realize that there was no time to go after what I really wanted.. and I was on the wrong path.

My decision to leave was a 'aha!' moment whilst reading the MF for the second time last week. I had been searching for answers of what to do after being completely miserable for half my time here. The book was a solid reminder of what I wanted out of life.

It wasn’t money or even materialistic things. Winning the lottery wouldn't have brought me happiness either. All I wanted was to build something of value and become self-reliant. Staying here trying to outlast the mind numbingly boring job and the ensuing unhappiness, I realized I was staying for the wrong reasons. I was voluntarily suffering and being a masochist.

While I'm still at the idea stage of finding a need, I have the free time, the drive to take action and the ability to network with other people to make something happen.

"Live life like you are living it for the second time"-Viktor Frank

The next few months are definitely going to be interesting. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have a strange feeling of calmness and excitement. I began reading the MF for the second time and realised what a beautifully crafted masterpiece it is. The book played a part in me quitting my job today. I didn’t leave on the best of terms, but I really did not have a choice.

Right now, I am in my apartment in Japan… and tomorrow, I’m going to Eastern Europe. Why Eastern Europe? Well I have some great friends there which gives me the first F- Family/Friends. Its cheap so I can live off my savings for a bit which gives me F-Freedom. And I also can stay F-Fit. Temporary happiness until I have money coming in.

I have worked a low paying and long hour English teaching job for the past 5 months. I came here in the first place because my life needed a drastic change. Living here I’ve developed consistency in working out, eating healthy as well as waking up early. But even when I was waking up at 5am, I soon began to realize that there was no time to go after what I really wanted.. and I was on the wrong path.

My decision to leave was a 'aha!' moment whilst reading the MF for the second time last week. I had been searching for answers of what to do after being completely miserable for half my time here. The book was a solid reminder of what I wanted out of life.

It wasn’t money or even materialistic things. Winning the lottery wouldn't have brought me happiness either. All I wanted was to build something of value and become self-reliant. Staying here trying to outlast the mind numbingly boring job and the ensuing unhappiness, I realized I was staying for the wrong reasons. I was voluntarily suffering and being a masochist.

While I'm still at the idea stage of finding a need, I have the free time, the drive to take action and the ability to network with other people to make something happen.

"Live life like you are living it for the second time"-Viktor Frank

The next few months are definitely going to be interesting. :)

I look forward to following your journey. Life awaits.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
It wasn’t money or even materialistic things. Winning the lottery wouldn't have brought me happiness either. All I wanted was to build something of value and become self-reliant.

I love this. A big reminder of what it's all about and what's really important.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
My decision to leave was a 'aha!' moment

Remember what that moment feels like. It's a glimpse of freedom.

It's a moment of clarity and awareness, and it's something few get to experience.

It comes in handy when you hit bumps in the road and snags in your progress.

Taking action is easy, but it's much harder to continue if you forget what you're fighting for.

Most people quit and go back to their slave jobs. Most people forget what freedom feels like.

Guard that memory with your life, because it's everything.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have a strange feeling of calmness and excitement.

A great feeling, congrats.

The next best feeling is creating something valuable and the market saying "I like it-- here's my money." Once you hit that, there's no going back.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
Awesome man!

I did the exact same thing a month ago. Nothing will kick your a$$ into gear like being all in.

Good luck and keep us updated.

DogsBreakfast

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Mar 5, 2015
8:24am Sunday.

Today is D-day for relocation from hostel to apartment...finding an apartment was not easy at all. When you throw yourself into an extreme situation of uncertainty and the unknown.. the normal reaction is .. where is the safest place I can hide? (at least for me it was). Wouldn't a cooked meal from my mom be great now? The luxuries of being taken care of are gone. No job.. no family.. just me.. chasing an elusive dream. Even in Japan I was coddled like a baby. Paving my own path brick by brick.. not seeing what is 2ft ahead scares me a little. With friends and family constantly wondering wtf I am doing.. I'm hit with some residue. It's a confidence issue I know.

As I am writing this I learnt something.. I do not have true confidence. Many insecurities I didn't know I had floated to the surface yesterday. But I have realised most things we worry about in life are insignificant.

Now as I was saying.. Japan and Ukraine are entirely different countries.. One is the safest place you will ever live with people that could be mistaken as robots.. whereas the other.. people do whatever the F*ck they want. Can you guess which is which? It's taking some time to adjust. Japan didn't do me any favors in hardening me up. I have become like a pudgy boy that has been kicked to the curb by his mother. And being told .. grow the F*ck up!

Anyway...Things I need to do:
1. Setup internet and buy household items
2. Learn russian 2hrs a day (goal to be conversational in 2 months)
3. Start researching a product in bedding if its a decent dropping idea for an ecommerce store
4. Write my profile on upwork, write 2 sample copywriting pieces, start applying for jobs so I can pay the rent
5. Keep scouring amazon, forums and google to find needs to be filled.

I'm really hungry right now.. and I don't just mean I have hardly eaten the past few days.

Filipe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 4, 2016
Burning the boat means to fight or to die!

Looking forward to watch this thread. We're all rooting for you to come out on top! :)

TJH

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 28, 2012
Looking forward to the updates.

DogsBreakfast

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Mar 5, 2015
Sometimes things don't go the way that they are planned..

I have now been living here for over 3 months and have seen/experienced many bad things (e.g. a girl getting kidnapped) as well as some good things!

I was working on starting a ecommmerce store but failed with the product choice and could not compete against amazon prices and ended up scrapping the store after a month.

I then was then applying for many copywriting jobs on upwork using my 3 or so months of knowledge on everything I had read. I landed a couple low paying jobs but could not deliver what the client wanted on one of the jobs as he was very unclear with what he wanted. He also wanted his video script to be some sort of motivational script which pretty much went against everything I had learned from the multiple copywriting books I had read and advice from Gary Halbert. What was the most disappointing was that most of the jobs I applied for especially the high paying jobs were never awarded to anyone. After this I worked for sometime as an english teacher and continued to explore different avenues such as niche sites, ecommerce or learning a new skill.

As of two weeks ago I got scammed for $7k plus my phone by a guy who I completely trusted and considered great friend. This is almost all of my savings and has really hurt me. Also it turns out he was lying to me most of the time! I even let this guy live with me and did a big favor for him again and again and again. Really I can only blame myself for this for being stupid enough to lend this much money to someone. Just wanted to help someone out and trusted people too easily, which I think is a trait I picked up from living in Japan. After this I almost decided to go home because of what it did to me emotionally as the betrayal was too much. But have again decided to stay but in the meantime I will need to find a job as an english teacher to survive now that my savings have been obliterated.

My new plan is to begin learning programming again as I know there are opportunities to start a web design firm in my hometown if I really hustle. This is something I can't start now as I just simply don't have the knowledge or skills. So for now I will need to work and just continue learning in my free time.

I wish could have posted more positive news but it really has not been easy. I will keep working towards this goal of self reliance and learning as I go.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I then was then applying for many copywriting jobs on upwork using my 3 or so months of knowledge on everything I had read. I landed a couple low paying jobs but could not deliver what the client wanted on one of the jobs as he was very unclear with what he wanted.

That's your fault, not his.

He also wanted his video script to be some sort of motivational script which pretty much went against everything I had learned from the multiple copywriting books I had read and advice from Gary Halbert.

Why not just give the client what he wants? Who cares what books tell you to do. Do what works.

What was the most disappointing was that most of the jobs I applied for especially the high paying jobs were never awarded to anyone.

Maybe all of the applicants sucked. I wouldn't hire if I didn't like the applicants either. That just makes sense.

After this I worked for sometime as an english teacher and continued to explore different avenues such as niche sites, ecommerce or learning a new skill.

Pick one.

As of two weeks ago I got scammed for $7k plus my phone by a guy who I completely trusted and considered great friend. This is almost all of my savings and has really hurt me. Also it turns out he was lying to me most of the time! I even let this guy live with me and did a big favor for him again and again and again. Really I can only blame myself for this for being stupid enough to lend this much money to someone. Just wanted to help someone out and trusted people too easily, which I think is a trait I picked up from living in Japan. After this I almost decided to go home because of what it did to me emotionally as the betrayal was too much. But have again decided to stay but in the meantime I will need to find a job as an english teacher to survive now that my savings have been obliterated.

That definitely sucks. Some valuable lessons in there too.

My new plan is to begin learning programming again as I know there are opportunities to start a web design firm in my hometown if I really hustle. This is something I can't start now as I just simply don't have the knowledge or skills. So for now I will need to work and just continue learning in my free time.

Why don't you just learn Wordpress and buy a $160 annual subscription to Elegant Themes.

Start selling websites tomorrow instead of never.

I wish could have posted more positive news but it really has not been easy. I will keep working towards this goal of self reliance and learning as I go.

Wishing won't make your news more positive.

Get a sales job. Teaching English is your comfort zone.

That's only useful if you want to start another round of the loop it seems you're already in.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
36988.jpg

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I am living without a job for past 7 months. Although I am 1000% glad that I did that, I have to say that this is tough. Nothing that you love will come easy. Two advices -
1) Stop dabbling around. Do one thing. And push it hard.
2) Learn from someone or a source who is credible.

I wasted 80% of my last 7 months although I was working A LOT because I did not obey the above two rules. If it helps you I will be glad.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.