The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

What kind of jobs should i bee looking for i need to find a job now

• should i look for front end jobs

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • should i look for back end jobs

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to find a simple job but they all require some form of experience. I manage to find a few jobs for me to do but I just keep getting rejected and I don't know why. I keep trying to find information about each company but its never enough. Even if I have never got a job before I need to find a way to stand out. I don't know too much about retail stores but there has to be a way to stand out. I applied to Walgreens, Macy's, Target, staples, and even tried to go to local shops but they won't take me. I know I don't have a college degree but there has to be something I can do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Shelton Louis resume.docx
    35.3 KB · Views: 117

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Here are my take aways:

• I opened your resume in Pages so I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue, but there's too much whitespace in your resume.
  • The headings aren't clear. Like you list your schools in almost the same font under "Education," but I can't immediately tell which is the heading.
  • Your skills summary is just a story about you selling phones, that's not really a story.
  • Several spelling mistakes. You should never have these on a resume or CV.
  • After "Skills Summary," you posted a separate section for "Computer Skills" which makes no sense. Why would you need to emphasize computer skills apart from others? And why are your computer skills relevant for retail?
  • Your work history is empty, and employers hate to see that. You don't even list volunteer experience. A hiring manager will think, "what has this guy been doing all his life? Is he useful for anything?"
  • I just realized you listed your past work under "Education." I couldn't find it before, and if I couldn't see it quickly, why would an employer?

Truth is, it would be a miracle if you even got a call back with your resume.

If your goal is to get a job, FIRST spend time polishing your resume, and worry about the approach and interviews after.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I want to fix my resume but I never did volunteer work they never offered it at my high school. In fact I never did any extracurricular activities just school and study no one ever told me that I had to do volunteer work.

Where can I go now I’m tired of trying to get into retail. I just want a job so that I can save money while educating myself

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I can’t believe I’m being punished for focusing on school instead of work and school. For jobs that are easy to do and learn. I thought trying to be sales associate would be ok since I had a job as a sales representative already but now I need other alternatives

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I can’t believe I’m being punished for focusing on school instead of work and school. For jobs that are easy to do and learn. I thought trying to be sales associate would be ok since I had a job as a sales representative already but now I need other alternatives
I looked into the issues and I fixed some of but I have no volunteer work experience so I hope this is enough
I'm wondering why you still live in New York... ?

You could be living in Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky working at McDonald's full time and actually be able to support yourself.
i live with my aunt and uncle

Attachments

• Shelton Louis Resume.docx
    34.7 KB · Views: 19

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
You are assuming that all "jobs" are payroll type of employment. There are a ton of "side jobs" and gigs where you are either casual or an independent contractor. I like the independent contractor situations. He can create his own job as I said in my post.
He can, but he has absolutely no training in this, like most school leavers. Everyone's trained just to print out a resume and go begging for a taskmaster.

Side jobs & gigs are an option, but they combine the worst parts of employment and business: constantly trying to scrape together new clients, trying to find a workable niche, build up a reputation, but all for hourly but unstable work.

To clarify, you've worked gigs? Do you have advice for him on how to get gigs based on what he's laid out in his resume?

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I listened to everything you told me so far and this is what I could come up with. The job is like a 9-5 job but outside instead of inside. You sell cheap phones to people and then you go home. I have to listen to what is your parachute now but this format should be correct.

Attachments

• Shelton Louis Resume.docx
    34.7 KB · Views: 27

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I got hired by McDonald's at a time I had nothing of interest on my resume. They don't actually need a resume, by the way, only an application. So more specifically, I had nothing much of interest to put on my application.

I filled it out anyway, added a cover note, and got an interview. The manager and I talked a bit, mostly about my customer service attitude, and she hired me. I started work as soon as the next orientation was scheduled. That was held once a week as the store owners has several restaurants, and sent all the new hires to Paperwork Guy every Thursday afternoon. A few days later I was trained how to ring up Big Macs.

The McDonald's corporation is getting out of owning restaurants directly. They want, or maybe they already have finished, to have ALL the restaurants owned by franchisees. That means each and every location might have a different owner with different policies, and a new fresh start for you even if someone across the street just told you no.

As I'm not sure from your response here if you could figure out how to put peanut butter on a slice of bread, jelly on another slice, and put them together ingredients side in, working for now at a place that includes a free lunch would probably serve you well.

I'm amazed at the amount of resistance you show to think through or take action or follow up on the advice you asked for. For example, the new resume says you have excellent organizational ability and attention to detail, while having inconsistent formatting and a whole blank section. If you can't write up one page about yourself, how much attention to detail and organizational ability do you actually have? What level of hand-holding and babysitting do you expect as appropriate, for someone who claims he can prioritize with foresight and strong communication skills? If you don't prove me wrong, only you will be missing out on your better future.
I'll read it over the weekend and see what i can do

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Do it now. You keep making excuses man. This ain’t theexcuselane forum.

The weekend actually is fair, it really does take a couple of days to go through the book, do the exercises and be ready for some info interviews. He could get his head sorted over the weekend, and hit the ground running with a new personal profile and focus when the work week starts.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Hopefully this helps you and anyone else that might have similar challenges.

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Regards,

Los

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to find a simple job but they all require some form of experience. I manage to find a few jobs for me to do but I just keep getting rejected and I don't know why. I keep trying to find information about each company but its never enough. Even if I have never got a job before I need to find a way to stand out. I don't know too much about retail stores but there has to be a way to stand out. I applied to Walgreens, Macy's, Target, staples, and even tried to go to local shops but they won't take me. I know I don't have a college degree but there has to be something I can do.
I’ve only read the first few posts.

This thread and the two videos in it might help:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I just got a copy of what color is your parachute from my local library. Great read and puts into perspective what employers are really looking for in an interview (something I have always had a hard time with).

Glad you liked it! And nice initiative getting past the recruiter's no.

Parachute is also very useful for people who want to do freelance consulting. The only difference is that when you meet with the person who has the power to hire you, it's for your project proposal, not for a direct job. Almost everything else works just the same, even the interview tips like don't talk about money until you've shown the value you can add.

@shelton, have you ruled out joining the military?

It's only 4 years, and you could choose an MOS that you are interested in. I would suggest something like cyber security or something that would help you in the civilian world. Plus you get college tuition paid for when you get out, and it gives you job experience.

Or you could just work at Staples or McDonalds. Just a suggestion.

I agree. I think the military might be great for Shelton. Someone else would tell him exactly what to do and how to do it, and over the course of a few years, he could learn how to develop his own initiative. By the time his service is over, he'd have a great sellable skill set, including mental focus and self-confidence.

... ask to speak with the manager in expressing your eagerness and attempts of wanting to work for such an "excellent" company, and on that application you mark 5 PM to Close for all 7 days a week and can start immediately. .... and learn about repeatable process of that business/company (manuals, consistency of delivery, quality control, inventory control/stocking, operations, dealing with the public by gaining valuable "Customer Service" skills, etc. that you can take somewhere else one day or to you own venture.

I think that is awesome advice. When I worked fast food I saw that and you are so right, about scheduling and also about how it can show what it takes to have systems the work in business. Someone who carefully observed those lessons, while handing out burgers to customers (or pencils or cans of paint or phones or whatever), would never be lost at what it means that a Fastlane business needs to be scalable. They'd have seen scalability in action! But I'm not sure if Shelton would be able to really pick up on those learning opportunities at this point.
Still a great way to make some immediate money though, if someone has enough energy and transportation to be on the closing shift.

TLDR: Napal's Cash Shattering tips Explode Career Advancement
Was that supposed to be clickable link? It just shows up as an underline for me.

Be confident, the company should be selling you, not the other way around, explain how you'll benefit THEM, it's not about you, ask for $15k more than you're making now, settle on $10K.

Usually true but I don't know if Shelton actually has skills that will benefit the company. That's why I think the McDonald's and military suggestions are so strong. If you can show up and pay attention (and in the military, are physically fit), they can explain everything else and build up some skills in you. I think "I'm available" might be a stronger pitch for Shelton to make now, than any skills-based presentation.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Not really I can't form paragraphs with words to save my life in most social situations. But I can explain concepts and other peoples thoughts pretty well.

Three suggestions:

1. Dale Carnegie course.

2. Toastmasters. You can visit some different clubs for free til you find one you like. Stick with it for a year to complete the intro to speaking book and the intro to leadership book. After that, you will never again be afraid to run a meeting and get up front to say a few words.

3. If you like explaining ideas from others, learn about sales and copywriting. Great threads here on these topics.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I see you have mentioned programming skills on your resume. I am a software developer with 7 years experience and just lost my job in march. It is now May and still trying to find a position.

If you have programming skills on your resume, create an account on github, watch videos how to use github and start putting in some html\css\javascript code. You can mention these github projects in your resume. It shows you are up for learning more things and have proof you are indeed learning them.

Other than that keep trying. Job market is tough and can be really frustrating and if you read this book, it means you read. Keep reading. Opportunity will knock your door soon.

Love the suggestion of coders using open source contribution to show their skills and that they are currently active, with or without a job.

It looks like this is your only post? Lots of great discussions on the forum here about business from a software guy's point of view. I hope you will stick around and participate, maybe get some help here with your own job search. What's your own technical background and what are you looking for, more specifically?

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
This is what I have so far I'm still thinking about what you said but I think it will take a while to find something new to say. I could try adding some stories but that would make this resume too long. I think I just need to answer the interview questions a lot better.
This is what I have so far I'm still thinking about what you said but I think it will take a while to find something new to say. I could try adding some stories but that would make this resume too long. I think I just need to answer the interview questions a lot better.
I'm guessing you didn't get the resume I posted so here. All I really need is a paragraph that can set me apart
Really like a lot of these super-helpful suggestions for @shelton. My two cents worth:

Follow what these very experienced people are telling you.

You have won two lotteries (1) You live in the western world (2) you have an internet connection - there is literally a world library at your fingertips for hardly any money at all (i.e. the price of an internet connection) and although it may not seem it you have one additional win (3) you live in NYC. There are tonnes of resources for free that you could utilise. Meet Ups are 10 a penny in big cities - find ones that interest you and is aligned to your goal (interview skills/meeting people who may well run their own business and therefore can give you a job). I must be the only weirdo who still uses her local library but look on any notice board there - see what free help they organise for young people looking for help in the employment market. Honestly, at this stage you really have no excuse. I get it: it's rough being rejected constantly but you have to suck it up and play the long game. Set action points every day to reach your goal and then hold yourself accountable. Report back every day on this thread if need be so you are accountable to us - your cheerleaders :). There is a lot of expertise on this Forum that you have access to for free - think of those positives!

If the military is not your thing - ignore that; only you know if you can stand being shouted at. I know I can't and my reflex would be to tell the commander to ''go away'' but in less than lady-like terms!

Best of luck Shelton - I hope to hear good news from you very soon :)
I decided to try applying to staples again even though i had no luck last time. I keep trying to find the right words to say but I cant seem to find the right ones so I decided to throw in moments of customer service or sales experience from my last jobs in.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I'm guessing you didn't get the resume I posted so here. All I really need is a paragraph that can set me apart

I decided to try applying to staples again even though i had no luck last time. I keep trying to find the right words to say but I cant seem to find the right ones so I decided to throw in moments of customer service or sales experience from my last jobs in.
here's the resume.

Attachments

• Shelton Louis Resume.edited.docx
    10.9 KB · Views: 6

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I got a call from a company I decided to do research on the company and found out that it only had two employees. The word sales associate is different for every company. I've been trying to expand my options by going to different retail companies but no luck. I guess I might have to push the Law of Averages a little further

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
The resume is only one piece in the hunt for the best job for you. I hire and let go on average about 20 people a year. The main thing I look for is good communication skills, a positive attitude, the ability to learn and contribute, with a drive for success. Most of what you will need in your job, you'll learn on the job, but the soft-skills will get you in the door.
Also, have you tried Indeed.com or linked-in. Both are resources I use to find people regularly.
Also, ask your social network, friends, family, others what they do, and if they would recommend you.
Connect with fellow alumni from your network, neighborhood or town.
Ask for mentoring advice from employers you may want to work for.
Attend job-fairs, city chamber of commerce events, networking events, and if you go back to school be-sure to work with the career services group.
All of these will get you a job working for someone else, but to be free of this, learn your skills, select an entrepreneurial route and pursue it with vigor.
Finally, if you don't ask, you won't get. Shoot for the moon, and if you land on a star you are good. Don't peg yourself into one job, or one role. Be constantly evolving and adapting to the market, and search out where your talents can best be compensated.
Crazy idea - would be to even attend a few meet-up's in New York, make some friends and then have them refer you to their companies, they may even get a bonus if you get hired.
Best of luck
I keep going on indeed but I just keep getting rejected. I have no friends right now so I need to find smaller companies. I will keep adapting and changing. I've been researching companies and job questions for the jobs I want like Sales Associate, Stock Associate and even Receptionist but they are hard to find and even hard to answer. I want to go to a retail store but the saturation is killing me. I applied for many different Staples and McDonalds stores and they each seem to have these long interview processes.

How do I figure out how to appeal to different companies when I can't find enough information. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I could take the time to just think about this.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
How do I figure out how to appeal to different companies when I can't find enough information.

That's covered in Parachute, in detail! It's the entire last third of the book! You go talk with people who are doing the kind of work you're interested in, to learn more about what it takes to do that kind of work. In those conversations you DO NOT ask for or expect a job offer. Then once you learn where you would MOST like to work, and you understand from talking with people why you have the MOST to offer them, you go talk to the person who can hire you, whether or not they've advertising a job opening. He does not leave you guessing how to do it, he spells it out exactly in thorough step by step detail. The first few chapters of Parachute go into very thorough description of why reacting to a mass-advertised job posting from a big company is the worst possible way to do a job hunt. And in the middle is what you need to understand about yourself to make this approach work for you. If you haven't read the book yet, you really should!

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I think Shelton's in NYC, so there should be plenty of government services, temp agencies, non-profits and churches he could readily get to with transit. What a great post with very specific advice on where he could turn for some up to date job guidance in person.
I had an interview today and i finally decided to give up trying to break into retail. Do you know anyone who knows how to appeal to web design hiring managers. I’m finally confronted with one of my greatest weaknesses finding the right words. I’m not good at pitching myself maybe I could find a job where people care about what you know. Instead of how you say it. I put i year in a half of effort into this but I think I should look for something else.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Do you know anyone who knows how to appeal to web design hiring managers

Working harder at an extremely ineffective strategy, is not nearly as good as switching to a better strategy. If you wanted to get from New York to L.A., driving north even faster than ever before would not help you as much as simply turning west... even if you didn't drive west very fast.

My post directly above yours, explains how Parachute very clearly walks you through this in a step by step process. It's not the only book or resource available, far from it. But it's one of the very best of all time, clearly written and with a cheery, friendly tone to help keep your spirits up.

I agree with Dubidu and so many others who are advising you here. It seems that what you are doing is trying to find a way to fix up a resume and apply online even harder. Parachute clearly explains why what you are doing is the very least effective method for finding a job.

If you really tried to read the book and found it hard to follow, then why not turn to any of the job hunt resources that have been mentioned by so many people, such as job hunting groups available at many government job hunt centers, churches, etc.?

You have very specific advice from plenty of people here.

You are wasting your time applying online for retail jobs.
To which you say - okay so how do I make a better resume for my online retail applications?

The resume is only one piece in the hunt for the best job for you.
So what resume will definitely get me a job?

There are government employees whose jobs is to help struggling people find jobs.
(No response at all)

Maybe start with a small business owner.
So how do I get Staples to hire me already?

Get a commission only sales job on the side.
Didn't I mention I need to have a resume that will make Staples pick up my online application for minimum wage retail clerk?

Don't just apply for jobs but actually book in to see/meet up with people.
So what do I put in my resume and online application so I never need to talk with anyone?

You seem to be deep in "yes, but" territory. No matter what is suggested, who it's from, how much life experience and business experience and thoughtfulness goes into it... it's impossible, because it's not the one and only thing that you're already failing at: a better resume for another online app for another big box.

Has it been half a year since you completed the self-description exercise in the middle of Parachute, and have been doing informational interviews every day like he recommends? Or has it been half a year of ever more clicky-clicky online for places like Staples?

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I finally read the book again and did the flower exercise on paper and this is what I could come up with. The book said that I should find friends to help me based on my answers but they are not able to do this so here are my answers.

People I prefer not to work with from top to bottom the first being never and bottom being tolerable are
distracting
talks too much
bossy
messy
manipulative
insane
incompetent
moody
lazy

If there were six groups in a room who were Realistic Conventional Enterprising Investigative Artistic and Social.
My Holland Code is I E S

P.S. I choose these traits because I like these kinds of people even though I'm nothing like them. I prefer different people since I'm not that good of a person as far as behaviors go and I'm slowly getting sick of my lifestyle.

From the traits section, I am
Achievement oriented, Calm, Impulsive, Open-minded, Self-reliant, Methodical

From the sphere Excercise, I said I wanted more beauty and entertainment I could've also said possessions. But I really just want to die in a world with technology beyond my wildest dreams.

As far as my hobbies are concerned my hobbies normally rely on playing video games and watching videos about politics, self-improvement world issues and art. I watched videos about web development last year because I was excited about the fact that I could launch my own site and It would add computer skills to my resume but I don't want to pay weekly to launch my own site and don't want to deal with anyone controlling my site other than me.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Working harder at an extremely ineffective strategy, is not nearly as good as switching to a better strategy. If you wanted to get from New York to L.A., driving north even faster than ever before would not help you as much as simply turning west... even if you didn't drive west very fast.

My post directly above yours, explains how Parachute very clearly walks you through this in a step by step process. It's not the only book or resource available, far from it. But it's one of the very best of all time, clearly written and with a cheery, friendly tone to help keep your spirits up.

I agree with Dubidu and so many others who are advising you here. It seems that what you are doing is trying to find a way to fix up a resume and apply online even harder. Parachute clearly explains why what you are doing is the very least effective method for finding a job.

If you really tried to read the book and found it hard to follow, then why not turn to any of the job hunt resources that have been mentioned by so many people, such as job hunting groups available at many government job hunt centers, churches, etc.?

You have very specific advice from plenty of people here.

To which you say - okay so how do I make a better resume for my online retail applications?

So what resume will definitely get me a job?

(No response at all)

So how do I get Staples to hire me already?

Didn't I mention I need to have a resume that will make Staples pick up my online application for minimum wage retail clerk?

So what do I put in my resume and online application so I never need to talk with anyone?

You seem to be deep in "yes, but" territory. No matter what is suggested, who it's from, how much life experience and business experience and thoughtfulness goes into it... it's impossible, because it's not the one and only thing that you're already failing at: a better resume for another online app for another big box.

Has it been half a year since you completed the self-description exercise in the middle of Parachute, and have been doing informational interviews every day like he recommends? Or has it been half a year of ever more clicky-clicky online for places like Staples?

As for exercises six and seven, I'm not the kind of guy who thinks in very strict ways and I just want a carrier that allows me to live on my own in a good apartment alone while saving up cash for me to go out and find friends. I have to take into account all the bills I have to pay in New York. I want to do this in baby steps.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Today I decided to finally go to many different stores to find out information or get hired. I hope this plan works by the end of this month. This is the only card I have to play.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I think you’re right. I thought I could just submit resumes but every one is doing it. Not many people are willing to take time out of there work to physically go to each store. I tried that strategy but maybe I didn’t do it right. I don’t like being stubborn. Stubbornness has failed me time and time again and I hate seeing it in action. I put one year of effort into this. I think today marks the anniversary of my crusade. At first I didn’t believe. Then I told myself I had to. I’m now realizing that made too many reckless mistakes. I’ve been too naive and too reckless at this and I don’t want to have to go through this again.

Huh that's weird, when I did go into retail stores, they just say apply online.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Huh that's weird, when I did go into retail stores, they just say apply online.
Im not sure what to do anymore small companies are hard to find and I can’t beat people who go to marketing events. My job is becoming more and more insufferable I’m close to a breaking point in my life. My need to want this is fading. I hate this place

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.