The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jeff Trotman's Knife Sharpening Business...

Idea threads

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Yes several years ago.
If you really think about it, it's all about execution. Many of the INSIDERS have probably seen the idea. But, as far as we now, nobody acted on it.

I personally think that is really interesting. Why did nobody execute this idea Sharks are going crazy for?

1. Is it because the (presumed) lack of experience to turn the idea into a successful business?
  • I have no idea what the proposition should like like and how logistics should be handled
  • There is no way I can make this a profitable business with all the shipping involved
  • How can I market such a simple service?
  • etc..
  • etc..
2. Is it because no one really found it to be a good product-founder fit?
3. Is it because no one else really found it to be a inconvenience for him/herself? And couldn't see the real benefit of such a service.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NateKruse

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jan 13, 2018
Jacksonville, North Carolina
I remember he grabbed that INE on the same concept, but that's not why it was posted. :blush:
Thanks for the shout out @CareCPA!

@MJ DeMarco, when I read your newest book I was worried Jeff was going to make it big sharpening knives and I’d feel like a total loser. Haha.

My ego was relieved to see him give it up so quickly. Knife Aid was around when I started the knife business. I’m glad they are having success.

I’m much happier starting up my manufacturing business. It’s a better fit with my engineering background and requirement for lifelong blood thinners than sharpening knives.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the shout out @CareCPA!

@MJ DeMarco, when I read your newest book I was worried Jeff was going to make it big sharpening knives and I’d feel like a total loser. Haha.

My ego was relieved to see him give it up so quickly. Knife Aid was around when I started the knife business. I’m glad they are having success.

I’m much happier starting up my manufacturing business. It’s a better fit with my engineering background and requirement for lifelong blood thinners than sharpening knives.
My callout probably seemed a bit meaner than intended - tone doesn't convey online.

I didn't realize they were around when you started, the Shark Tank episode seemed recent, but it could have filmed a year ago (and they were probably around for a couple years before that), so that makes sense.

I do agree that you seem a lot more excited for your current business, and it seems like a better fit. But post more YouTube videos so I can nerd out on it!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BTW, i pulled topic/convo out of the "random chat" thread.

Naw no worries my brother.

The video above I think proves Jeff and his wife could have made it succeed, but they gave up too quick and didn't fully address the right business model.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
BTW, i pulled topic/convo out of the "random chat" thread.

Naw no worries my brother.

The video above I think proves Jeff and his wife could have made it succeed, but they gave up too quick and didn't fully address the right business model.

I just figured this out. When threads are pulled out, it makes it confusing, save the links back to the original posts. It's to bad Zenforo doesn't add an admin message at the tip that indicates where it was pulled from before you start reading. Maybe an admin level edit to the OP that provides context?

Great short from sharktank, I've never seen them run after a deal like that. I was as surprised as Mark seemed to be!

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I just figured this out. When threads are pulled out, it makes it confusing, save the links back to the original posts. It's to bad Zenforo doesn't add an admin message at the tip that indicates where it was pulled from before you start reading. Maybe an admin level edit to the OP that provides context?

Great short from sharktank, I've never seen them run after a deal like that. I was as surprised as Mark seemed to be!

I can add a note

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

But the original thread (Random Chat) has no evidence of the conversation as every post referencing it is now moved and in this separate thread. So there cannot be confusion (unless I missed a post to move or moved the wrong ones). In other words, how can anyone be confused when there is no evidence the conversation even existed in the chat thread?

It was completely extracted and the first mention of Jeff Trotman and his knife business is the first post in this thread.

As I've been trying to allude, people who have NOT read my latest book will have no clue why this is even a thread... they think it's about Sharks going crazy over a knife business, when it's not.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
But the original thread (Random Chat) has no evidence of the conversation as every post referencing it is now moved and in this separate thread. So there cannot be confusion (unless I missed a post to move or moved the wrong ones). In other words, how can anyone be confused when there is no evidence the conversation even existed in the chat thread?

It was completely extracted and the first mention of Jeff Trotman and his knife business is the first post in this thread.

As I've been trying to allude, people who have NOT read my latest book will have no clue why this is even a thread... they think it's about Sharks going crazy over a knife business, when it's not.

Got ya. That's the same reference I am missing. The new one is on my desk, it's actually next in my line up. I am sure it'll all make sense then!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.