The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is This Idea/Business/Blah Blah Fastlane? (Uh, no, it isn't.)

alexvat02

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 14, 2020
Is this Fastlane?

Folks, the worst thing you can do after joining the forum is asking the question, “Is this Fastlane?

If you have been linked to this post, there’s a reason why.

From this point forward, I will officially ignore any post that contains any variation of “is this Fastlane?” And the sad fact is, most regular contributors here already do so. I thought I should speak up why I don't respond to these.

First, anyone who asks such a question has clearly misinterpreted my book. From a strict interpretation, with zero room for gray area, the answer of “is this Fastlane?” has already been answered in the book. Reread chapters 29 and beyond.

Second, the question “is this Fastlane” implies that some idea in your head is Fastlane. Such could be further from the truth. No idea is Fastlane. And no idea will ever be. In fact, a well executed “NON-FASTLANE” is 10,000% better than a zero-executed idea that you *think* is Fastlane.

Think of it this way: If "Fastlane” was a bike ride across the country, asking the question “is this Fastlane” is akin to sitting down on the bike and staring at the garage floor. So in effect, asking “is this Fastlane” is NOT FASTLANE.

Third, putting all the commandments aside, Fastlane is about process. Consistent actions transforming into habit. It’s about doing something, getting results and feedback, and adjusting along the way. Fastlane is about ACTION, ANY ACTION, even if that action is a campaign on TeeSpring, a Craigslist hustle, or something that would typically be classified as “non-Fastlane.”

Expanding your experience, knowledge, and wisdom in a daily effort IS FASTLANE.

View attachment 9135

When I see these threads “is this Fastlane?”, I literally want to close the browser and come back tomorrow. And please, it’s nothing against you.

It’s just that “is this Fastlane” is becoming one gigantic excuse NOT TO DO ANYTHING. If you think you have a great idea that isn't Fastlane and you have zero experience in life, by all means, go for it. Quit worrying about Fastlane this, and Fastlane that.

“Oh, it doesn’t meet the 5 FL Commandments, so I’ll do nothing until I think about the next greatest idea."

Wrong approach.

Some of the most popular threads here aren't Fastlane per se'. But they are Fastlane from the perspective that someone is DOING SOMETHING to improve their life. And that, puts you leaps and bounds ahead of most people.

Folks, Fastlane is not something you do. Fastlane isn’t something you try. And it certainly isn’t some great idea you think you have.

Fastlane is about building your story.

Your process.

Your failures, your trials, and your errors.

If you’re a seasoned entrepreneur, yes by all means, use the Fastlane commandments as your guide. However, if you’re 20 years old and have NEVER STARTED OR ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING, by all means, do SOMETHING— ANYTHING to ramp up your experience. "Fastlane" shouldn't really be much of a consideration.

The truth is many Fastlane's don't show themselves as Fastlanes until someone has hustled their a$$ off for years... and then suddenly, like magic, they appear. And they appear because someone trusted the process of action over the promise of events shimmering in the guise of "Fastlane".

Get out there and engage. :)

Good luck and best wishes,
~ MJ

PS: Tagged GOLD because it needs to be read.
Thank you MJ! This is exactly what I need right now. I’m at a point in my life where I literally have zero risk in pushing forward with an idea, even if I’m not sure it meets all of the requirements. The truth is you’ll never know until you try and I just need to get some experience and see what happens.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Action feeds and strengthens confidence; inaction in all forms feeds fear. To fight fear, act. To increase fear - wait, put off, postpone.

We're often victims of "overpreparedness". Joe Salesman, Joe Executive, Joe Professional Worker, Josephine Housewife - they all often try to build strength and get ready with office chats, coffee breaks, sharpening pencils, reading, personal business, getting the desk cleared off, TV, and dozens of other little escape devices. To break this habit, tell yourself: "I'm in condition right now to begin. I can't gain a thing by putting it off."

The test of a successful person is not an ability to eliminate all problems before they arise, but to meet and work out difficulties when they do arise. We can't buy an insurance policy against all problems.

- All the above from The Magic of Thinking Big, which I thought resonated really well with this post.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Is this Fastlane?

Folks, the worst thing you can do after joining the forum is asking the question, “Is this Fastlane?

From this point forward, I will officially ignore any post that contains any variation of “is this Fastlane?” And the sad fact is, most regular contributors here already do so. I thought I should speak up why I don't respond to these.

First, anyone who asks such a question has clearly misinterpreted my book. From a strict interpretation, with zero room for gray area, the answer of “is this Fastlane?” has already been answered in the book. Reread chapters 29 and beyond.

Second, the question “is this Fastlane” implies that some idea in your head is Fastlane. Such could be further from the truth. No idea is Fastlane. And no idea will ever be. In fact, a well executed “NON-FASTLANE” is 10,000% better than a zero-executed idea that you *think* is Fastlane.

Think of it this way: If "Fastlane” was a bike ride across the country, asking the question “is this Fastlane” is akin to sitting down on the bike and staring at the garage floor. So in effect, asking “is this Fastlane” is NOT FASTLANE.

Third, putting all the commandments aside, Fastlane is about process. Consistent actions transforming into habit. It’s about doing something, getting results and feedback, and adjusting along the way. Fastlane is about ACTION, ANY ACTION, even if that action is a campaign on TeeSpring, a Craigslist hustle, or something that would typically be classified as “non-Fastlane.”

View attachment 9135

When I see these threads “is this Fastlane?”, I literally want to close the browser and come back tomorrow. And please, it’s nothing against you.

It’s just that “is this Fastlane” is becoming one gigantic excuse NOT TO DO ANYTHING. If you think you have a great idea that isn't Fastlane and you have zero experience in life, by all means, go for it. Quit worrying about Fastlane this, and Fastlane that.

“Oh, it doesn’t meet the 5 FL Commandments, so I’ll do nothing until I think about the next greatest idea."

Wrong approach.

Some of the most popular threads here aren't Fastlane per se'. But they are Fastlane from the perspective that someone is DOING SOMETHING to improve their life. And that, puts you leaps and bounds ahead of most people.

Folks, Fastlane is not something you do. Fastlane isn’t something you try. And it certainly isn’t some great idea you think you have.

Your process.

If you’re a seasoned entrepreneur, yes by all means, use the Fastlane commandments as your guide. However, if you’re 20 years old and have NEVER STARTED OR ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING, by all means, do SOMETHING— ANYTHING to ramp up your experience. "Fastlane" shouldn't really be much of a consideration.

The truth is many Fastlane's don't show themselves as Fastlanes until someone has hustled their a$$ off for years... and then suddenly, like magic, they appear. And they appear because someone trusted the process of action over the promise of events shimmering in the guise of "Fastlane".

~ MJ

This is exactly where I'm at. I apologize in advance for the transparent rant I'm about to do in response to this post. I feel like I should post this here because it is directly relevant.

I'm terrified of failure. Of looking stupid and being humiliated.

I'm an action-faker. Ive read a lot, came up with idea after idea, always waiting for someone to make me believe its not doable. Over the years, its become easier to be talked out of an idea and then jump to another one -- dreaming about success.

I'm 27 and although I'd love to list my accomplishments (there aren't many), its easier to get to the point: I've never started and sustained a functioning business. Anything I've started was either illegal (where I've had the most success) or short-lived.

I just graduated college. I got bills to pay because I've been self-supporting and put myself through college. I already feel like a failure because of how old I am. I'm stuck at my clothing store job afraid to get something else that will further prevent me from building a system that works because it will add more stress and time.

Yet every idea I come up with, I get talked out of by myself or someone else.

The last thing I want to do is work my balls off for an idea that I'm not sure will work or that I don't even believe in:
- Cosmetic surgery lead-gen -> idea that I literally stole from The Millionaire Fastlane because I'm too lazy to come up with my own --> I can't compete with the amount of money people spend on web-advertising; I know absolutely nothing about lead generation or building websites; I'm too late in the game without a leg to stand on
- Fruit bowl delivery -> idea that I mean F*ck bro, if that shit was logistically possible it would've been done by people in far better positions to make it happen than I.
- Manufacturing vape juice and shipping to Prague -> I made probably $600 before my distributor didn't want to buy it anymore because it wasn't selling; the laws made it damn near impossible; I got in the game too late.
- Garage cleaning -> I made probably $800 before I realized that shit was just another job completely dependent on the time I put into it.

Now here I am back at square one trying to think of how the F*ck can I get the right idea that I can believe in enough to make me do whatever is necessary to make it happen.

I know I sound like exactly the type of person MJ can't stand. I CANT STAND IT EITHER.

I guess it goes back to my FTE.

I feel like I've had a few different ones. Maybe they weren't real. Or maybe they were and I just need help. Like a mentor to just tell me what to do. If I need someone to tell me what to do then I should get a F*cking job, be a good little employee and do what my master says, get my shitty paycheck that will never be enough and say thank you with a smile while I struggle to feed my kids (I don't have any kids yet, but that's where my mind goes).

God is my employer. What is best for other people? How can best contribute and benefit my community? What does my community need? I don't think they need more cosmetic surgery. I can't really get behind that. They don't need more fruit because grocery stores are literally throwing it at them. They don't need more vape juice for obvious reasons. They don't need me to clean their garage.

What can a self-supporting 27 year old, ex-problem drinker/drug addict, ex-drug dealer/thief, recent college graduate, Economics major without any student debt, who has a relationship with God, loves to surf, and dreams of being a successful entrepreneur -- do to benefit his community? Will it be making an impact? Does it solve a real need? Will my God want me to do this?
- I can spread the gospel of the slow lane because I worked in finance for almost a year -> can't get behind that; I don't believe in that anymore
- I can help people buy clothes that fit because that's what I've been doing for over 2 years now -> people don't need more clothes
- I can pick people up and drive them to the beach to surf. Theres already a surf camp in the area, but I can lease or buy a bus. Advertise the surf camp on the bus. Bring kids to the beach to surf and take them home. Work out a deal with the surf camp owner so the business can continue to serve people by charging folks a few bucks more to be picked up and dropped off. I can also charge for advertising. Saves parents the hassle of getting up early as F*ck to drive there kids and pick them up. That might be possible. I'd have to wake up super early and chauffeur a bunch of kids and there surf gear. I have no idea how to drive a bus but I guess I could learn. Or pay someone more qualified to do it. That could make people happy. I don't see my Go having any problem with that. It could even become a bus for various extra-curricular activities for kids because that would help kids stay out of trouble and give their parents a break.

(Immediately I start dreaming about the event of making a bunch of money without being present; I hate that about myself. SO entitled, lazy, greedy, and arrogant. Then I think about the process of being rejected by the business owner and feeling inadequate an embarrassed. Then I think about a catastrophic accident with a bunch of kids. Still, all these fears are just more selfishness and me thinking about myself).

Ok. Here is where I need help. I just came up with an idea. Now do I start taking action towards this idea? Researching bus costs? Trying to get in contact with the surf camp owner? All the while being uncertain the idea will succeed? Or should I table the idea and continue thinking about new ideas to see if any others sound MORE IMPACTFUL TO PEOPLE AND ARE THUS, MORE LIKELY TO SUCCEED --> that's what Ive been doing... and I've got 100% of nothing. I'm afraid I'll start taking action and it won't work out for one reason or another and I'll have done all that work and invested all my money for nothing.

MJ just answered this question. Take action. Get out and engage. OK.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This is exactly where I'm at. I apologize in advance for the transparent rant I'm about to do in response to this post. I feel like I should post this here because it is directly relevant.

I'm an action-faker. Ive read a lot, came up with idea after idea, always waiting for someone to make me believe its not doable. Over the years, its become easier to be talked out of an idea and then jump to another one -- dreaming about success.

I'm 27 and although I'd love to list my accomplishments (there aren't many), its easier to get to the point: I've never started and sustained a functioning business. Anything I've started was either illegal (where I've had the most success) or short-lived.

I just graduated college. I got bills to pay because I've been self-supporting and put myself through college. I already feel like a failure because of how old I am. I'm stuck at my clothing store job afraid to get something else that will further prevent me from building a system that works because it will add more stress and time.

The last thing I want to do is work my balls off for an idea that I'm not sure will work or that I don't even believe in:
- Cosmetic surgery lead-gen -> idea that I literally stole from The Millionaire Fastlane because I'm too lazy to come up with my own --> I can't compete with the amount of money people spend on web-advertising; I know absolutely nothing about lead generation or building websites; I'm too late in the game without a leg to stand on
- Fruit bowl delivery -> idea that I mean F*ck bro, if that shit was logistically possible it would've been done by people in far better positions to make it happen than I.
- Manufacturing vape juice and shipping to Prague -> I made probably $600 before my distributor didn't want to buy it anymore because it wasn't selling; the laws made it damn near impossible; I got in the game too late.
- Garage cleaning -> I made probably $800 before I realized that shit was just another job completely dependent on the time I put into it.

Now here I am back at square one trying to think of how the F*ck can I get the right idea that I can believe in enough to make me do whatever is necessary to make it happen.

I know I sound like exactly the type of person MJ can't stand. I CANT STAND IT EITHER.

I feel like I've had a few different ones. Maybe they weren't real. Or maybe they were and I just need help. Like a mentor to just tell me what to do. If I need someone to tell me what to do then I should get a F*cking job, be a good little employee and do what my master says, get my shitty paycheck that will never be enough and say thank you with a smile while I struggle to feed my kids (I don't have any kids yet, but that's where my mind goes).

God is my employer. What is best for other people? How can best contribute and benefit my community? What does my community need? I don't think they need more cosmetic surgery. I can't really get behind that. They don't need more fruit because grocery stores are literally throwing it at them. They don't need more vape juice for obvious reasons. They don't need me to clean their garage.

What can a self-supporting 27 year old, ex-problem drinker/drug addict, ex-drug dealer/thief, recent college graduate, Economics major without any student debt, who has a relationship with God, loves to surf, and dreams of being a successful entrepreneur -- do to benefit his community? Will it be making an impact? Does it solve a real need? Will my God want me to do this?
- I can spread the gospel of the slow lane because I worked in finance for almost a year -> can't get behind that; I don't believe in that anymore
- I can help people buy clothes that fit because that's what I've been doing for over 2 years now -> people don't need more clothes
- I can pick people up and drive them to the beach to surf. Theres already a surf camp in the area, but I can lease or buy a bus. Advertise the surf camp on the bus. Bring kids to the beach to surf and take them home. Work out a deal with the surf camp owner so the business can continue to serve people by charging folks a few bucks more to be picked up and dropped off. I can also charge for advertising. Saves parents the hassle of getting up early as F*ck to drive there kids and pick them up. That might be possible. I'd have to wake up super early and chauffeur a bunch of kids and there surf gear. I have no idea how to drive a bus but I guess I could learn. Or pay someone more qualified to do it. That could make people happy. I don't see my Go having any problem with that. It could even become a bus for various extra-curricular activities for kids because that would help kids stay out of trouble and give their parents a break.

(Immediately I start dreaming about the event of making a bunch of money without being present; I hate that about myself. SO entitled, lazy, greedy, and arrogant. Then I think about the process of being rejected by the business owner and feeling inadequate an embarrassed. Then I think about a catastrophic accident with a bunch of kids. Still, all these fears are just more selfishness and me thinking about myself).

Ok. Here is where I need help. I just came up with an idea. Now do I start taking action towards this idea? Researching bus costs? Trying to get in contact with the surf camp owner? All the while being uncertain the idea will succeed? Or should I table the idea and continue thinking about new ideas to see if any others sound MORE IMPACTFUL TO PEOPLE AND ARE THUS, MORE LIKELY TO SUCCEED --> that's what Ive been doing... and I've got 100% of nothing. I'm afraid I'll start taking action and it won't work out for one reason or another and I'll have done all that work and invested all my money for nothing.

I live near the Kenai River, a major world-known fishing river that has salmon runs. I know of a really nice guy named Dan, who delivers fishermen and their gear along that river, to and from the lodges & motels. They call him or make a pre-arranged time for his services. He makes a really good living. He does have a Class B CDL (commercial driver's license) so he can drive his van full of people. But, that all he does all summer long, day and night. He takes credit cards with his square and his smartphone. He also makes good tips.

Isaunders

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
May 14, 2019

Even if you take action and it doesn't work out for whatever reason, you still took action. So much better than waiting on the sidelines for the perfect moment/opportunity, which never comes. Perfectionism will only make you miss things you CAN accomplish.
Fruit bowl delivery- a real thing in my 'hood. They're called Edible Arrangements. And from what I can tell, they're thriving. Why not do it in your area?
I rely on people with far better taste than myself to help my choose fashion, and if I didn't have those people handy, I would pay someone money, because I am fashion-blind. Why not ?
Garage cleaning is a fantastic idea, with low training requirements. Learn how to hire people and make it a small business.

I would think that a large population of us here (including myself) are afraid of failure and do quite a bit of action faking. And that's ok. We're all human!

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Even if you take action and it doesn't work out for whatever reason, you still took action. So much better than waiting on the sidelines for the perfect moment/opportunity, which never comes. Perfectionism will only make you miss things you CAN accomplish.
Fruit bowl delivery- a real thing in my 'hood. They're called Edible Arrangements. And from what I can tell, they're thriving. Why not do it in your area?
I rely on people with far better taste than myself to help my choose fashion, and if I didn't have those people handy, I would pay someone money, because I am fashion-blind. Why not ?
Garage cleaning is a fantastic idea, with low training requirements. Learn how to hire people and make it a small business.

I would think that a large population of us here (including myself) are afraid of failure and do quite a bit of action faking. And that's ok. We're all human!
You really think garage cleaning is a fantastic idea? Why?

Isaunders

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
May 14, 2019
You really think garage cleaning is a fantastic idea? Why?
Because I remember spending around six hours of my precious time helping my buddy clean out his garage, and wishing Someone would do this for us!

tenacity

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 16, 2021
UK
Is this Fastlane?

View attachment 9135

Wrong approach.

Your process.

~ MJ

Very well said, thanks!

aabawe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Mar 19, 2022
Is this Fastlane?

View attachment 9135

Wrong approach.

Your process.

~ MJ

I needed this!!!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

vladikcm

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 2, 2022
Spain
After reading this forum for some days I found three types of posts:

#1 - Post written by a Fastlaner telling his advice/story.
Slowlaners read about his life story and look amazed (probably eating pop corn) just to wish to be like them (not saying the posts are not useful).

#2 - Slowlaner (like me) posting threads asking for advice about how to be Fastlaner but without actually doing something.

#3 - Fastlaners selling courses (that may work) to impact the most peole possible.

After all I can conclude (and that is why I don't usually post anything) that if you want to find this forum useful and get its maximum potential you have to take action and show with other people what are you doing to achive your goals. I think reading posts will not help you. I will start posting here when I start doing something. Until then I will be punishing my lazy a$$ onto why I am not doing it NOW.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

After reading this forum for some days I found three types of posts:

#1 - Post written by a Fastlaner telling his advice/story.
Slowlaners read about his life story and look amazed (probably eating pop corn) just to wish to be like them (not saying the posts are not useful).

#2 - Slowlaner (like me) posting threads asking for advice about how to be Fastlaner but without actually doing something.

#3 - Fastlaners selling courses (that may work) to impact the most peole possible.

After all I can conclude (and that is why I don't usually post anything) that if you want to find this forum useful and get its maximum potential you have to take action and show with other people what are you doing to achive your goals. I think reading posts will not help you. I will start posting here when I start doing something. Until then I will be punishing my lazy a$$ onto why I am not doing it NOW.
Hey man, good for you for posting. I don't know if it's the right thread (maybe it doesn't matter) but my advice would be to post any questions you have, post about what you're up to, and you will get feedback and guidance.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Is this Fastlane?

View attachment 9135

Wrong approach.

Your process.

~ MJ

Reading this just affirmed that taking action as an 18-year-old kid was the right action.

I can't imagine sitting idle now.

After my action faking through my first year, it feels like this year (2nd year) is where I'm constantly getting better. I'm developing the habits a fastlaner has.

Right now I'm honing and sharpening my skills to raise my intrinsic value so I can gain leverage. I had tons of ideas in my first year but I didn't have leverage in the form of money.

With this brief Slowlane period, I'll garner leverage and use it to buy my time off repetitive stuff and focus on high-return tasks.

And the best part? I'm enjoying the process.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016

JJnosleep369

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 5, 2022
Is this Fastlane?

View attachment 9135

Wrong approach.

Your process.

~ MJ
My English isn't great, but these stories of business not sexy, business fastlane or not, it's bullshit, what we like the most, what shines the most is sometimes what suits us the most. chained.
Only practice will tell whether or not a company leads to the highway, in a given space of time. We are all looking for shortcuts, training pack to become a trader in 1 month, crypto pack etc... it is often theft, even yesterday I talked about it with a friend.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.