The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is my idea for an NGO feasible?

Idea threads

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
I am a college student, and when this Corona thing ends I want to find a way to help the poor and needy.
There are many organisations NGOs in my country helping them get food education etc but very few to none to help them with their mental health.

One thing I have realised is that even saying hello with a smile, or saying thank you brings smiles to their faces and makes them happy. Small talk makes them even more happy.

I love to bond with them. Most of them are genuinely good people, and it's always good to share a laugh with them. I feel amazing whenever I talk to them or help them. So I have an idea.

I have an idea to start an NGO where me, along with other students- older people go out and try to talk with others. One to one convos with them sharing their experiences, learnings with each other, make them feel a part of society. Make them feel accepted. It's a basic human need but one that gets ignored way too often.

I plan to do this by having lunches, tea with them at roadside tea stalls, fastfood restaurants, calling them to school/home and if possible get donations for this.

Is this feasible? I live in a third world country and there are plenty of opportunities to help, however there is nothing like this and its needed imo.

One last question for you. Be honest.

Would you donate to an NGO that takes out poor people to lunches, roadside tea stalls to connect with them and make them feel like a part of society- like they have a purpose to live?

---

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest1413tpa

I am a college student, and when this Corona thing ends I want to find a way to help the poor and needy.
There are many organisations NGOs in my country helping them get food education etc but very few to none to help them with their mental health.

One thing I have realised is that even saying hello with a smile, or saying thank you brings smiles to their faces and makes them happy. Small talk makes them even more happy.

I love to bond with them. Most of them are genuinely good people, and it's always good to share a laugh with them. I feel amazing whenever I talk to them or help them. So I have an idea.

I have an idea to start an NGO where me, along with other students- older people go out and try to talk with others. One to one convos with them sharing their experiences, learnings with each other, make them feel a part of society. Make them feel accepted. It's a basic human need but one that gets ignored way too often.

I plan to do this by having lunches, tea with them at roadside tea stalls, fastfood restaurants, calling them to school/home and if possible get donations for this.

Is this feasible? I live in a third world country and there are plenty of opportunities to help, however there is nothing like this and its needed imo.

Would you donate to an NGO that takes out poor people to lunches, roadside tea stalls to connect with them and make them feel like a part of society- like they have a purpose to live?

---
I would read the books About Social Enterprises by Paul Polak. Out of Poverty & The Business Solution to Poverty, hopefully that will inspire you.

I’m not opposed to a NGO, but I think there are massive opportunities to create businesses that serve the poor.

I like the idea though, its A post Fastlane idea for me though.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

No. The world's problems are endless. And with the uncertain economy and our own jobs at risk, people have bigger issues to be worried about, such as whether we can feed ourselves and our families.

We can donate $10 to a poor beggar on the street, but what about the hundreds of millions of needy in each poor country? And that $10 could be saved for a rainy day when we lose our jobs, and in situations like that, $10 can buy ourselves a meal or two, and let us live for another day.

Want to be a good guy? Get rich first whatever method you take, then save the world.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Where is the hook?

I don't mean to sound harsh on this... But there is usually a hook.

Giving is one of the things I am most passionate about. I currently give to organizations that support various freedoms and also some Christian organizations that go after child poverty. A type of poverty that I consider totally helpless.

My biggest issue with "poverty" in general, is that it is a solvable problem. Having lunch with them doesn't really fix anything.

NOW... If you were going to go do this, what if you bought them some information on how to start businesses? What if you held seminars or basic business classes? Maybe some lightweight consulting? What if you helped them build marketable job skills? That is something I could get behind, but I am just one guy, and this is just one guy's opinion. The ripple effect of pulling just a few of them out of poverty and into the productive class is endless. Their kids and grandkids and great grandkids will be affected forever.

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
NOW... If you were going to go do this, what if you bought them some information on how to start businesses? What if you held seminars or basic business classes? Maybe some lightweight consulting? What if you helped them build marketable job skills? That is something I could get behind, but I am just one guy, and this is just one guy's opinion. The ripple effect of pulling just a few of them out of poverty and into the productive class is endless. Their kids and grandkids and great grandkids will be affected forever.

Great idea! This was on my mind as well but i realized there were some organizations already doing this, and i wanted to do something different.

The only problem is that most of the beggars (childrens and adults) are uneducated. They don't know how to speak English and only speak the local language. These 'beggars' are controlled by Mafias as well. I would love to help them build job skills- and its what i should do, but it may be difficult to convince the beggars.

Lastly, I have some major exams coming up in the next few months so i wont be able to give them much time.

I will see what i can do though.

Thank you!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

---
I look from an Economist lens and would support things related to education, road building and health care support in poor countries.

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
I look from an Economist lens and would support things related to education, road building and health care support in poor countries.

Indeed these are the major issues in my country, but many issues such as 'mental health' etc., are considered minor and are ignored. And in my opinion this is the biggest issue with 3rd world developing countries such as mine; we ignore small problems and focus on bigger ones. We end up solving neither.

That isn't to say that my country hasn't progressed in the 4 areas you listed above. It has, but hundreds of thousands are still unemployed and live in poverty.

If we could start by solving 'minor' issues, we will able to solve 'major' issues more easily - (large problems occur because small ones are ignored)

I will look more into this. Kak's idea seems to be the most economically valuable one, but one which will also require the most effort and time.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Indeed these are the major issues in my country, but many issues such as 'mental health' etc., are considered minor and are ignored. And in my opinion this is the biggest issue with 3rd world developing countries such as mine; we ignore small problems and focus on bigger ones. We end up solving neither.

That isn't to say that my country hasn't progressed in the 4 areas you listed above. It has, but hundreds of thousands are still unemployed and live in poverty.

If we could start by solving 'minor' issues, we will able to solve 'major' issues more easily - (large problems occur because small ones are ignored)

I will look more into this. Kak's idea seems to be the most economically valuable one, but one which will also require the most effort and time.
Definitely other people would not understand the issue as much as you.

But again if you would like to seek funding, probably you have to start with some research and education. People have to get educated that mental health issue is a problem. And how you can improve it using cost effective methods. You need facts and figures to support your view and bring more people ti support it with time and money.

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
Definitely other people would not understand the issue as much as you.

But again if you would like to seek funding, probably you have to start with some research and education. People have to get educated that mental health issue is a problem. And how you can improve it using cost effective methods. You need facts and figures to support your view and bring more people ti support it with time and money.

Many 'mental health awareness' programs have started in schools and universities and people are opening up about their depression, trauma- whatever issues they face. The government has also opened up a helpline for people suffering from mental health issues.

Gradually, people are beginning to realize that its 'okay' to talk about mental health and since these 'mental health' awareness campaigns are quite popular among educated students and their parents (belonging to middle-upper class families), i don't think it will be difficult to collect donations.

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
Where is the hook?

I don't mean to sound harsh on this... But there is usually a hook.

Giving is one of the things I am most passionate about. I currently give to organizations that support various freedoms and also some Christian organizations that go after child poverty. A type of poverty that I consider totally helpless.

My biggest issue with "poverty" in general, is that it is a solvable problem. Having lunch with them doesn't really fix anything.

I think imma steal your ideas and beliefs.
After some discussions, i have come to the conclusion that 'mental health' may not be the problem. Instead i have decided to focus on smaller problems that lead to larger problems. Millions still suffer from poverty, and its a major issue- one which many smaller issues have lead to. I am gonna focus on finding these and help the poor.

Also, @Kak offtopic but being a religious person myself i would love to have discussions (off forum- if this doesnt permit it) on religion and entrepreneurship. All i know about the west is from what i have seen on the media, the internet (mostly social media and blogs) and a bit of travel. I wont lie; i have been very influenced by those 'finance blogs' (for the worse i guess, because a lot of it goes against my beleifs but seems very fun for an 18yearold like me)

Would be great to have your insights and perception.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.