The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it possible to build and operate a business on a university campus?

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
Just curious, I've been toying around with an idea that I think has franchise potential but I would need to be on or within a VERY short walking distance to the campus. I think my idea could benefit the school and maybe get it a little bit of good publicity and it would definitely help students in am academic way. This isn't just something I like this is something I hear people complain about all the time but no one is fixing. To really create the image I would need I will have to build a special type of architecture which I can do and do it cheaply, this is an architecture that is non-existent in the USA to my knowledge but one I think a university could get excited about, I don't think anyone will steal my idea but i'm still going to step lightly for now. anyways, I want to chain and franchise through universities, and this is my question, how? who do I need to talk with, how should I bargain, and how should I present my idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
You learn how on your own if you don't know. Every business is unique. You have to bootstrap necessary funds to support your business. Imagine how much it will cost, and double it, you will need it.

Are you willing to learn the necessary skills needed to operate one? If you cannot put the time into education, you should work at a grocery store instead.

Here's one that started at a college
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009307319939

ambition21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 30, 2012
Of course it's possible - it has been done many many times. You don't need to 'talk' about or 'present' your idea to anyone. Cold hard truth: no one cares at this point. Create a basic business plan, get online, get the word out, prove your concept, and then MAYBE you'll get people interested in franchising. Until then, you've got to start executing if you're serious.

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
I don't think either one of you guys actually read what I wrote. You DO need to talk to someone if you're building a building on their campus, If you had actually read my post you would know that this is an important part of the concept. Don't use my thread and waste my time to raise your post count.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You're in Japan. Most of us are not. Business law is hugely different in Japan, so most of us will not be able to help you. We also have no idea what kind of architecture you are talking about.

Typically, when dealing with universities, you may want to talk with someone in administration. They will know who you need to talk to before you go ahead with this idea. You will probably get a lot of 'no, this is not a good idea' but until you talk to someone who actually handles the money and resources you're not going to go anywhere or know anything.

May I ask what industry this is in? You withhold a lot of information and that prevents us from being able to help you.

Some people here have a little experience with pitching businesses to universities. I do not, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
You're in Japan. Most of us are not. Business law is hugely different in Japan, so most of us will not be able to help you. We also have no idea what kind of architecture you are talking about.

Typically, when dealing with universities, you may want to talk with someone in administration. They will know who you need to talk to before you go ahead with this idea. You will probably get a lot of 'no, this is not a good idea' but until you talk to someone who actually handles the money and resources you're not going to go anywhere or know anything.

May I ask what industry this is in? You withhold a lot of information and that prevents us from being able to help you.

Some people here have a little experience with pitching businesses to universities. I do not, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Thanks for reading my question. If I was building this I would want to start in the US, I'm from Kentucky btw. I would hope to start one business and later franchise and chain with unique image. I'm planning on going back to the states in April and I've got about $100,000 that I could put into the business, though I don't think it would need that much. I don't want to spill a lot of details but it would be a cafe of sorts that would also cater to some very specific needs, but would hopefully still be a good enough cafe to keep regular non-target customers. I would offer certain services to my target group, and have a very unique atmosphere "the architecture comes into play here" that non-target customers could enjoy. It's something that no one else is doing, but it would probably take a long time to franchise out. One thing I have thought about is IF I fail AND IF I can build the type of building I want, I could disassemble it and re-assemble it as a house in a different location, this would cut down risk significantly. Then renovate the building and live in it, sell it, or rent it out. That's my exit strategy.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
It sounds like you have nothing but an idea. Build an MVP, prove the model and then raise money to scale. Until you actually have something substantial, you're just a dreamer ;)

This. I think you know exactly how to proceed with this, you are just wasting time asking the wrong people. The only way we can help you is if you shared the whole idea(I am not asking you to do it). Other than that, don't you think it's a good idea to call a university and ask them?

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
This. I think you know exactly how to proceed with this, you are just wasting time asking the wrong people. The only way we can help you is if you shared the whole idea(I am not asking you to do it). Other than that, don't you think it's a good idea to call a university and ask them?

I'm still in Japan right now, and I want to do a lot more research before jumping head first into something. I will be getting some hands on research in April, not cafe related, but related to my business ideas and that should help me make a decision.

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
It sounds like you have nothing but an idea. Build an MVP, prove the model and then raise money to scale. Until you actually have something substantial, you're just a dreamer ;)

Minimum viable product? How would this work with an actual space occupying building? This idea isn't something I can do online. If you're saying build one, give it a shot and then try to scale then I agree.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.