The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it bad to cross-post blog articles?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 16, 2019
UK
Content marketing question:

I've been copying a few of my posts with almost no changes on to a different platform with the aim of both attracting clients on that platform and maybe getting some more backlinks out there.

For example, this article: Classic Python Interview Question: the Two Sum Problem | Codementor
Is very close to this one: Python Programming Two Sum Interview Problem - Compucademy in content.

Are there any potential downsides to doing this please? For example loss of SEO juice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

I've been copying a few of my posts with almost no changes on to a different platform with the aim of both attracting clients on that platform and maybe getting some more backlinks out there.

For example, this article: Classic Python Interview Question: the Two Sum Problem | Codementor
Is very close to this one: Python Programming Two Sum Interview Problem - Compucademy in content.

Are there any potential downsides to doing this please? For example loss of SEO juice?
Yup, plenty of downsides: Avoid creating duplicate content - Search Console Help

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 16, 2019
UK

Bother. What makes it a tricky choice for me if I can only have one version, is that on Codementor there is an engaged community who interact and comment on my content, whereas my site has a smaller reach and a less engaged audience.

Do you have any recommendations? Maybe one post exclusively on Codementor for every few on my own site?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Bother. What makes it a tricky choice for me if I can only have one version, is that on Codementor there is an engaged community who interact and comment on my content, whereas my site has a smaller reach and a less engaged audience.

Do you have any recommendations? Maybe one post exclusively on Codementor for every few on my own site?
Try to make the articles as different as possible.
Spin the words, shuffle the sentences, use synomins, add some images, be creative etc.
Bots cant really tell if one article is delivering the same info as another, only a human can do that.
But they can match sentences and words pretty well, so avoid that.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
What are the consequences of copying other website's blogposts?

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Strange question. There are many ways to cheat or scam people. Usually no consequences unless somebody bothers to sue you. Search engines will likely figure out the original source and downgrade your content. If you know many good blogs, might as well write review articles or create a niche search engine.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

I'm not familiar with the platform you're writing on. But if it allows for you to set a canonical to your actual blog post, then you should be good to go. If you set the canonical on codementor to your blog post on your website, any link juice that goes to that page on the other site, should, I'll say again, should actually flow through to your website.

As a best practice I would publish on your website, and make sure Google is indexing that first, and then publish on the other platform. You can force them to find your blog post by sharing it on a Google my business page, or maybe even tweeting it. Some people force a crawl from the search console, but I don't like abusing that tactic.

So if it allows for rel canonical, test it on your next blog post.

Here's another thought.

If it doesn't allow for a rel canonical, then make sure you choose good SEO headline on the other platform. For example, I googled Python two sum problem and I found your article on the middle of the second page. So that platform has some pretty decent authority. If you're ranking that content on that platform, you should be able to direct people back to your website, and at least start building an email list.

Since you asked about link juice, as long as Google is indexing both pages, link juice should flow regardless. So at the very least you are building up the authority of your website by linking to it from the other website.

The main problem with the duplicate content is your content will likely never outrank that content.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
What are the consequences of copying other website's blogposts?
Best case scenario: nothing.
Most likely scenario: your website won't rank for anything.
Worst case scenario: lawsuit.

There really isn't much upside here, unless you know what you're doing and have a "good" ( still super shady) plan.

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 16, 2019
UK
Best case scenario: nothing.
Most likely scenario: your website won't rank for anything.
Worst case scenario: lawsuit.

There really isn't much upside here, unless you know what you're doing and have a "good" ( still super shady) plan.
Why would there be a lawsuit for posting my own content on two different platforms? Can I plagiarize myself?

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Why would there be a lawsuit for posting my own content on two different platforms? Can I plagiarize myself?
He's referring to copying *other* people's blogposts.

I asked because I know one of my friends runs a niche website where he makes good money copying and pasting other website's content. He used to be really passionate about the blog, but he claims that nowadays there's no point in writing new or "original" content because everything can be found online.

Awhile ago he offered to sell his website to my cousin (well known name in e-publishing ) for like $450k.

I'm thinking of applying his strategy to my stuff too but I wasn't sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.