The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Is it bad to cross-post blog articles?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jun 16, 2019
UK
Content marketing question:

I've been copying a few of my posts with almost no changes on to a different platform with the aim of both attracting clients on that platform and maybe getting some more backlinks out there.

For example, this article: Classic Python Interview Question: the Two Sum Problem | Codementor
Is very close to this one: Python Programming Two Sum Interview Problem - Compucademy in content.

Are there any potential downsides to doing this please? For example loss of SEO juice?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

alexkuzmov

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

I've been copying a few of my posts with almost no changes on to a different platform with the aim of both attracting clients on that platform and maybe getting some more backlinks out there.

For example, this article: Classic Python Interview Question: the Two Sum Problem | Codementor
Is very close to this one: Python Programming Two Sum Interview Problem - Compucademy in content.

Are there any potential downsides to doing this please? For example loss of SEO juice?
Yup, plenty of downsides: Avoid creating duplicate content - Search Console Help

OP
OP
Robin Andrews

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Jun 16, 2019
UK
Bother. What makes it a tricky choice for me if I can only have one version, is that on Codementor there is an engaged community who interact and comment on my content, whereas my site has a smaller reach and a less engaged audience.

Do you have any recommendations? Maybe one post exclusively on Codementor for every few on my own site?

alexkuzmov

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Bother. What makes it a tricky choice for me if I can only have one version, is that on Codementor there is an engaged community who interact and comment on my content, whereas my site has a smaller reach and a less engaged audience.

Do you have any recommendations? Maybe one post exclusively on Codementor for every few on my own site?
Try to make the articles as different as possible.
Spin the words, shuffle the sentences, use synomins, add some images, be creative etc.
Bots cant really tell if one article is delivering the same info as another, only a human can do that.
But they can match sentences and words pretty well, so avoid that.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 20, 2016
What are the consequences of copying other website's blogposts?

BizyDad

Know Thyself
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

I'm not familiar with the platform you're writing on. But if it allows for you to set a canonical to your actual blog post, then you should be good to go. If you set the canonical on codementor to your blog post on your website, any link juice that goes to that page on the other site, should, I'll say again, should actually flow through to your website.

As a best practice I would publish on your website, and make sure Google is indexing that first, and then publish on the other platform. You can force them to find your blog post by sharing it on a Google my business page, or maybe even tweeting it. Some people force a crawl from the search console, but I don't like abusing that tactic.

So if it allows for rel canonical, test it on your next blog post.

Here's another thought.

If it doesn't allow for a rel canonical, then make sure you choose good SEO headline on the other platform. For example, I googled Python two sum problem and I found your article on the middle of the second page. So that platform has some pretty decent authority. If you're ranking that content on that platform, you should be able to direct people back to your website, and at least start building an email list.

Since you asked about link juice, as long as Google is indexing both pages, link juice should flow regardless. So at the very least you are building up the authority of your website by linking to it from the other website.

The main problem with the duplicate content is your content will likely never outrank that content.

BizyDad

Know Thyself
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
What are the consequences of copying other website's blogposts?
Best case scenario: nothing.
Most likely scenario: your website won't rank for anything.
Worst case scenario: lawsuit.

There really isn't much upside here, unless you know what you're doing and have a "good" ( still super shady) plan.

Reactions: Kid
OP
OP
Robin Andrews

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Jun 16, 2019
UK
Best case scenario: nothing.
Most likely scenario: your website won't rank for anything.
Worst case scenario: lawsuit.

There really isn't much upside here, unless you know what you're doing and have a "good" ( still super shady) plan.
Why would there be a lawsuit for posting my own content on two different platforms? Can I plagiarize myself?

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 20, 2016
Why would there be a lawsuit for posting my own content on two different platforms? Can I plagiarize myself?
He's referring to copying *other* people's blogposts.

I asked because I know one of my friends runs a niche website where he makes good money copying and pasting other website's content. He used to be really passionate about the blog, but he claims that nowadays there's no point in writing new or "original" content because everything can be found online.

Awhile ago he offered to sell his website to my cousin (well known name in e-publishing ) for like $450k.

I'm thinking of applying his strategy to my stuff too but I wasn't sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Thanks for the detailed response. I see it similar, in the beginning, you have only a small...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom