The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is door to door still effective?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Is door to door still effective?

• Total voters

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I'm thinking in terms of local businesses, not approaching some huge a$$ corporations who got 50 different managers . But businesses in your local town who are small-medium sized.

Like not approaching them in a salesy type of way, but genuinely caring about solving business owners' problems by simply connecting with them.

This could be a big opportunity as 99% of people nowadays avoid physical contact as much as possible. You know what I'm talking about, right? Cold emails, cold calling, spamming in the DMs, pitches all over the place.
But by being physically there and just doing some small talk with the owner/s could create potential business opportunities as most people are terrified of doing it. You'll also differentiate yourself tremendously from all the other bro sales men that are out there. Even Andy Frisella talked about it in his podcast: "Nowadays all entrepreneurs think about is how to get leads and how to convert leads. But no one is concerned about people. And actually genuinely caring about these people so they could potentially become your customers."

Whatcha think fellas?

(Assuming you look professional and interested in the other person).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I think it is not a bad way to get started, and will definitely strengthen your resolve because of how challenging it would be.

Door to door sales doesn't separate you from your time, but that doesn't mean you can't fix that in the future.

SimoJames

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 22, 2020
Italy
I'm thinking in terms of local businesses, not approaching some huge a$$ corporations who got 50 different managers . But businesses in your local town who are small-medium sized.

Like not approaching them in a salesy type of way, but genuinely caring about solving business owners' problems by simply connecting with them.

This could be a big opportunity as 99% of people nowadays avoid physical contact as much as possible. You know what I'm talking about, right? Cold emails, cold calling, spamming in the DMs, pitches all over the place.
But by being physically there and just doing some small talk with the owner/s could create potential business opportunities as most people are terrified of doing it. You'll also differentiate yourself tremendously from all the other bro sales men that are out there. Even Andy Frisella talked about it in his podcast: "Nowadays all entrepreneurs think about is how to get leads and how to convert leads. But no one is concerned about people. And actually genuinely caring about these people so they could potentially become your customers."

Whatcha think fellas?

Hi everyone
I truly think that door-to-door selling will continue to grow, it's a great way to test your idea and make a business owner learn both what customers want and the critical issues of the situation. I think it can untie you from time because once the criticalities have been fixed, you can delegate the sale of the product to other salespeople trained by you, we are still talking about the forerunner of any performance marketing. and let's not forget that everything can be sold door to door. if it is physical and can be shown to a customer, even better. where I live (Italy) door-to-door sales grew from 2008 to 2020, stalled in 2020 and recovered this year.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I think it is not a bad way to get started, and will definitely strengthen your resolve because of how challenging it would be.

Door to door sales doesn't separate you from your time, but that doesn't mean you can't fix that in the future.
It also depends on what products you're selling and the industry you're in. It's a popular way to get leads for real estate agents.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Look up Thach Nguyen and watch how he finds good real estate deals.

It's pure old school. He walks up to the door and knocks, then talks to people. He's gotten very rich this way.

You can't quite automate human interaction.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Look up Thach Nguyen and watch how he finds good real estate deals.

It's pure old school. He walks up to the door and knocks, then talks to people. He's gotten very rich this way.

You can't quite automate human interaction.
I like the guy but on IG he seems very fake and guru-ish.

Nothing wrong with having multiple income streams, but I’ve always wondered:

if one is doing so good in business, why does he have the time to sell courses?
Isn’t that time better devoted to what he’s doing?

Anyway..

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You have it backwards.

If you're REALLY doing well in business, you have time. If you are struggling, you have no time.

Everybody starts out busy, but if the goal was to have a job, you wouldn't start a business. (Of course, big businesses can be led by a hands-on CEO, too, but the point remains)

Thach is a real estate investor. Success for him means he has lots of cash flow every month. He doesn't need to be plunging toilets himself and stuff like that...

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
You have it backwards.

If you're REALLY doing well in business, you have time. If you are struggling, you have no time.

Everybody starts out busy, but if the goal was to have a job, you wouldn't start a business. (Of course, big businesses can be led by a hands-on CEO, too, but the point remains)
Automation and processes is one thing and what I’m saying is something else.

If his effort generates x amount of revenue, why is he doing something else?

The guys really doing well in what they do don’t start selling courses while they still do the same thing. Their time is better directed at doing what they do already.

Do you understand what I’m trying to say?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Automation and processes is one thing and what I’m saying is something else.

If his effort generates x amount of revenue, why is he doing something else?

The guys really doing well in what they do don’t start selling courses while they still do the same thing. Their time is better directed at doing what they do already.

Do you understand what I’m trying to say?
Yes, and the point is, you don't have to do one thing, especially if you're already making tons of money.

Look at this forum. You could ask the same thing to MJ (and lots of new users have) : why are you writing books and running a forum instead of doing more tech companies?

I think the answer is obvious. He doesn't need to, and this is interesting and meaningful. Plus, why would anybody turn down MORE sales?

Anyway, none of this matters, the original point of the OP is door to door selling. Yes, it's effective.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Look at this forum. You could ask the same thing to MJ (and lots of new users have) : why are you writing books and running a forum instead of doing more tech
Look at this forum. You could ask the same thing to MJ (and lots of new users have) : why are you writing books and running a forum instead of doing more tech companies?
Clearly we have a communication problem. I understand what you say but I’m having some issues trying to word my message so it can be understood. I wrote a long message and deleted everything because I would be repeating myself.

There’s a big difference in what that guy does and what MJ does.

MJ offered his advice after he had multiple exits and made his money.

Would he still have the same credibility if at the same time he was building his business he would’ve also sold courses on how to do what he does? Probably not.

@MJ DeMarco when you’re flu is better, let us know your opinion. Also, let us know if you would’ve had the time for this when building Limos.com

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Clearly we have a communication problem. I understand what you say but I’m having some issues trying to word my message so it can be understood. I wrote a long message and deleted everything because I would be repeating myself.

Would he still have the same credibility if at the same time he was building his business he would’ve also sold courses on how to do what he does? Probably not.

@MJ DeMarco when you’re flu is better, let us know your opinion. Also, let us know if you would’ve had the time for this when building Limos.com
You've got to be kidding me... I wish there was a facepalm reaction.

Thach isn't "building" from scratch. His personal cash flow is in excess of 100k per month. Surely you can read that and get what that means. He's in the Money System chapter. The coaching is probably for fun at this point.

Yes, door knocking can be very effective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
For my first couple years in this speaking career, I did over a million dollars in sales per year almost exclusively with door-knocking (B2B).

It was a pretty steep learning curve. I had to get good at knowing when they were going to throw me out (like when I stepped in the door :rofl: ). Eventually, I got one foot in, two feet in, got up to the front desk, charmed the gatekeeper, and often would book meetings right then and there... but that took a lot of times being thrown out to get that skill.

I've got no evidence for this besides gut feeling but I think in the post-covid world, you're going to have two schools of people. The extroverts who can't wait to talk to people and be around them physically (finally) and the introverts who didn't want to go back to the office in the first place and wish they were home. One will be much more forgiving than the other.

On a B2C side, I coach a LOT of realtors right now who capture whole neighborhoods by direct mail and door-knocking. Lots of factors to consider but if you're in home improvement, it makes a lot of sense to visit someone... at their home.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hi everyone
I truly think that door-to-door selling will continue to grow, it's a great way to test your idea and make a business owner learn both what customers want and the critical issues of the situation. I think it can untie you from time because once the criticalities have been fixed, you can delegate the sale of the product to other salespeople trained by you, we are still talking about the forerunner of any performance marketing. and let's not forget that everything can be sold door to door. if it is physical and can be shown to a customer, even better. where I live (Italy) door-to-door sales grew from 2008 to 2020, stalled in 2020 and recovered this year.
It takes balls to do it.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I like the guy but on IG he seems very fake and guru-ish.

Nothing wrong with having multiple income streams, but I’ve always wondered:

Anyway..
Yeah man, I'm very much against that. Like you don't see Elon Musk selling courses on how to build electric cars, do you? Or LeBron James selling courses on how to play basketball?

Makes no sense!

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
You have it backwards.

Thach is a real estate investor. Success for him means he has lots of cash flow every month. He doesn't need to be plunging toilets himself and stuff like that...
I don't think that was his point. He was saying that why bother with selling courses if you're already making F*ck you money with what you do. You see a lot of this on the internet nowadays, especially in the digital marketing space. People who sell courses on how to run FB ads and they make majority of their money from doing exactly that. Then they show proof and deceive you by making you think it's from the "things" they're teaching you, which is exactly the opposite. It's the popular guru game now.

I mean there's a guy in my city who's an incredible entrepreneur(his net worth is around 500 million us dollars) and he does not sell courses at all(doesn't even have social media), he likes to do things the old school way you know, with his real businesses. Or Manny Khosbin for instance, he does have some social status on social media which enables him to expand his income by doing some small coaching on real estate. That might also be the case with Thach.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

I'm glad MJ sold his book once he actually sold his business, and not the other way around.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
For my first couple years in this speaking career, I did over a million dollars in sales per year almost exclusively with door-knocking (B2B).

It was a pretty steep learning curve. I had to get good at knowing when they were going to throw me out (like when I stepped in the door :rofl: ). Eventually, I got one foot in, two feet in, got up to the front desk, charmed the gatekeeper, and often would book meetings right then and there... but that took a lot of times being thrown out to get that skill.

I've got no evidence for this besides gut feeling but I think in the post-covid world, you're going to have two schools of people. The extroverts who can't wait to talk to people and be around them physically (finally) and the introverts who didn't want to go back to the office in the first place and wish they were home. One will be much more forgiving than the other.

On a B2C side, I coach a LOT of realtors right now who capture whole neighborhoods by direct mail and door-knocking. Lots of factors to consider but if you're in home improvement, it makes a lot of sense to visit someone... at their home.
Yeah man, it can be a good experience to face your fears too. And honestly, most people will be kind to you lol. At the same time, I think it also really depends on what you're selling. Like if you're selling cars, door knocking is probably not going to work as well as it would with e.g. relationship programs or something of that nature. People can see if you actually care about them and you're not this "pushy sales kinda guy".

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I mean there's a guy in my city who's an incredible entrepreneur(his net worth is around 500 million us dollars) and he does not sell courses at all(doesn't even have social media), he likes to do things the old school way you know, with his real businesses.
There are thousands, if not millions, of entrepreneurs, and the vast majority do not sell courses. Drive through an industrial town and note all of the businesses. There are lots of millionaires in America - millions of them, actually - and I would guess 99% of them do not teach, sell courses, host seminars, etc.....

Just because someone sells a course doesn't mean they're a scammer, a fake, etc. That's my point. "Why would he sell a course if he's so successful" - well, why would you sell gum drops if you're doing so well in the glue business? I mean, it's a non-sequitur. It doesn't have to relate. MAYBE they actually want to teach people something.

But yes, there are a lot of courses and scammy content out there by fakers who can't do anything.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
B2B yes.
B2C depends. I never talk to anyone knocking on my door for business. I made experiences which led to that.
My neighbor was the opposite ( no lomger my neighbor). Everybody who knocked on her door, sold anything. And than came over to me, what to do to reverse

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
There are thousands, if not millions, of entrepreneurs, and the vast majority do not sell courses. Drive through an industrial town and note all of the businesses. There are lots of millionaires in America - millions of them, actually - and I would guess 99% of them do not teach, sell courses, host seminars, etc.....

Just because someone sells a course doesn't mean they're a scammer, a fake, etc. That's my point. "Why would he sell a course if he's so successful" - well, why would you sell gum drops if you're doing so well in the glue business? I mean, it's a non-sequitur. It doesn't have to relate. MAYBE they actually want to teach people something.

But yes, there are a lot of courses and scammy content out there by fakers who can't do anything.
Spot on man. I agree. It's a little difficult to spot the legit gurus nowadays. I mean I fell into this trap a couple years ago. One guy was promoting copywriting, the other one said Amazon FBA is the next big thing, and another said "No, affiliate marketing is hot now so do this".

And a lot of young men and women fall into these traps because the marketer manipulated their perception of it being easy and done in 3 steps. Back to your point, yes there are legit gurus out there. The question is; How do you actually spot them? How many of them are actually a proof of their teachings? Less than 1%?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
B2B yes.
B2C depends. I never talk to anyone knocking on my door for business. I made experiences which led to that.
My neighbor was the opposite ( no lomger my neighbor). Everybody who knocked on her door, sold anything. And than came over to me, what to do to reverse
You sometimes see some young guys selling alarms on our street and we're immediately like "Oh shiet, here we go again.".

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Spot on man. I agree. It's a little difficult to spot the legit gurus nowadays. I mean I fell into this trap a couple years ago. One guy was promoting copywriting, the other one said Amazon FBA is the next big thing, and another said "No, affiliate marketing is hot now so do this".

And a lot of young men and women fall into these traps because the marketer manipulated their perception of it being easy and done in 3 steps. Back to your point, yes there are legit gurus out there. The question is; How do you actually spot them? How many of them are actually a proof of their teachings? Less than 1%?
1. Don’t pay for things you can find for free
2. Only seek out the information you need, not whatever is simply “available”
3. If reviews are good, and the free previews make sense based on other sources you trust, go for it.
4. Back to point 1, if the purchase is so expensive that you’re worried about getting ripped off, don’t buy it. If it’s a complicated 7-part funnel, don’t do it. If you have to scroll through a single webpage for more than 10 minutes reading a novel about how great it is, hit alt+F4.

Those are my rules. Some marketers will actually tell you to design sites like that, but that’s an immediate red flag to me.

How does this tie into door to door sales?
In a door knocking situation, you talk to a real person (trust +1), they usually have a company uniform (trust +1) or are dressed well, they share information about their services and answer your questions directly (trust variable, but usually > 1 if they are trained in their offering) instead of reading an FAQ on a website.

Door to door sales are a method employed by thousands of companies. They’re very useful for home services, especially. And in B2B, they help too, like when an insurance salesman comes by the office, or a steel salesman brings donuts in the morning.

This is called “outside sales.” It’s a common job because it works.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Whatcha think fellas?

Depends. There is too little information on what you wish to sell.

Gut Instinct Answer: Probably not a good idea. (Not efficient to pull your body to point A to point B physically doing all these work)

If you look at how people buy things these days...there are a few proven tracks.

1) They search for a problem they want to solve badly...think SEO
2) Word of mouth. I have a problem with my website. I ask my buddy Jack who solved that issue before. He said everyone is getting John to do their website these days because he is really good. Ok no question asked then.
3) Convenience. You buy your groceries near where you live...this habit is not going away for most people
4) Close at right time. You presented to a potential buyer. He said he is not interested, but the truth is he cannot afford it. His financial situation improved 18 months later and he called you. Lesson of the day: numbers game, keep in good communication and relationship with your leads

Look at how buyers buy these days. Look at your own bills and see what you have paid for the past one year. How did you make the buying decisions? Most popular sales "tactics" have no places in the data I bet!

When was last time you give a sales rep a few hours to prove that he/she is a "caring consultant who cares about you as a person and built a great connection with you and hence you pressed the sales button"?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

3) Convenience. You buy your groceries near where you live...this habit is not going away for most people
"Huh, I just bought a house and I need a pest control company for termite prevention and regular bug sprays.
There are several in my area and none of them are any better than the other. How will I choose?"

*Knock knock*

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
"Huh, I just bought a house and I need a pest control company for termite prevention and regular bug sprays.
There are several in my area and none of them are any better than the other. How will I choose?"

*Knock knock*
Depends on the frequency of service.

If it is a high frequency event. Servicing air-con every 6 months you are equally likely to catch them when they need them, than compared to having a good website and seo their traffic to you. Knocking on the door could work.

If you are a locksmith you are not going to find yourself lucky trying to find someone trapped outside his house.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Yeah man, I'm very much against that. Like you don't see Elon Musk selling courses on how to build electric cars, do you? Or LeBron James selling courses on how to play basketball?

Makes no sense!
Not disagreeing with the spirit of your point, but I found this interesting because I subscribe to masterclass and I know Steph did exactly that.

So some Google searches led me to...

Of course big name ballers have their own basketball camps and go teach at others.

Elon starting a school was unexpected, but also makes sense.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Depends. There is too little information on what you wish to sell.

Gut Instinct Answer: Probably not a good idea. (Not efficient to pull your body to point A to point B physically doing all these work)

If you look at how people buy things these days...there are a few proven tracks.

1) They search for a problem they want to solve badly...think SEO
2) Word of mouth. I have a problem with my website. I ask my buddy Jack who solved that issue before. He said everyone is getting John to do their website these days because he is really good. Ok no question asked then.
4) Close at right time. You presented to a potential buyer. He said he is not interested, but the truth is he cannot afford it. His financial situation improved 18 months later and he called you. Lesson of the day: numbers game, keep in good communication and relationship with your leads

Look at how buyers buy these days. Look at your own bills and see what you have paid for the past one year. How did you make the buying decisions? Most popular sales "tactics" have no places in the data I bet!

When was last time you give a sales rep a few hours to prove that he/she is a "caring consultant who cares about you as a person and built a great connection with you and hence you pressed the sales button"?
Yeah, good point.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Not disagreeing with the spirit of your point, but I found this interesting because I subscribe to masterclass and I know Steph did exactly that.

So some Google searches led me to...

Of course big name ballers have their own basketball camps and go teach at others.

Elon starting a school was unexpected, but also makes sense.
Yeah, the point is, these guys do it to give something back to millions of young guns who aspire to be like just them, they are international superstars. They ain't trying to make money of it. Big difference. That's the context of what we're talking about here. There's a difference between donating your money or giving a free speech at a university out of free will when you're already in the top 0.0001%, when everyone looks at you as incredible inspiration and you feel obligated to give something back to the community.

While the other guru is just trying to fill his pockets from your lack of inaction. Or your laziness to do the work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.