The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is customer service a good competitive advantage

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Physical or digital product?

Either way you don't have to worry about providing ALL the bells and whistles your competitors have. You just need the core ones your customer base have indicated are must haves. Just build them better.

You can build in other features as and when required.

Microsoft Word is the king of word processors (IMHO). It has so many features, add-ons and integrations that it is a total power house product that has taken decades to develop to this stage.

Yet many people use Google Docs instead because they don't need all those features, have never used more than 10% of Words power. And, quite frankly, find it really complicated and intimidating due to all the tabs and layouts. (Also Google Docs it is free of course).

I've been using Word since I got a hacked copy as a poor student many years ago (sorry Microsoft, I have licences these days). I've used it ever since so am very familiar with it. But I just use it mainly for word processing. I don't need database integration, I don't do mail merges, I am not writing technical manuals nor 80,000 word books.

I have a subscription with a shaving company that send me blades every couple of months. To start with it was a handle and some blades. That was it. Then they added shaving gel, then I was asked if I wanted shaving balm. A couple of months later a facial scrub appeared. Now I have the option to add in vitamins to my order.

I love the company. Their products are good, their service is excellent, their branding on point. I love the fact that they email me a week before my order is due to let me know, plus to give me the option to delay my order if required (say I stop shaving for Movember for example so don't use as many blades).

A little bit of tough love:

You have by now enough opinions to satisfy your need for data so stop all this procrastinating, self doubt and overthinking and go out and actually build something. The only person who can limit your achievement is you and you are doing a grand job at the moment.

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy". – Dale Carnegie

“The stars will never align, and the traffic lights of life will never all be green at the same time. The universe doesn’t conspire against you, but it doesn’t go out of its way to line up the pins either. Conditions are never perfect. ‘Someday’ is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you. Pro and con lists are just as bad. If it’s important to you and you want to do it ‘eventually,’ just do it and correct course along the way.” — Tim Ferriss
I understand the theory but it's the action part that's the problem, I try not to overthink it but I always have 1000 questions that I feel I need answered lol. I've been working on it, it's getting better.

Hmm this part "ones your customer base have indicated are must haves". I've been speaking with potential customers, though I haven't really asked what they want. I have asked them what they think of my idea and these ideas are their frustrations. Should I be asking that aswell or am I overthinking again?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
You need to build a minimum viable product. Just ask them what that would look like. What they ACTUALLY NEED and want, not what are nice to haves. Those come later.

So now go away and come back again when you can put up a post similar to below:

"I have identified the core needs of my market niche and have drawn a line under this as I now have all the information I need to build a minimum viable product. I am now building my minimum viable product".

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You need to build a minimum viable product. Just ask them what that would look like. What they ACTUALLY NEED and want, not what are nice to haves. Those come later.

So now go away and come back again when you can put up a post similar to below:

"I have identified the core needs of my market niche and have drawn a line under this as I now have all the information I need to build a minimum viable product. I am now building my minimum viable product".
Ok cheers. I'll be dumping the traditional market research I think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ok cheers. I'll be dumping the traditional market research I think.
The best market research comes from actually getting in the trenches and trying to help people with whatever they want help with enough to engage you, and then one day to pay you.

Then you look at what keeps cropping up, and why it keeps cropping up.

Scale later when you’ve figured out how to help people one at a time. (As per the Mother Theresa quote in my signature.)

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
The best market research comes from actually getting in the trenches and trying to help people with whatever they want help with enough to engage you, and then one day to pay you.

Then you look at what keeps cropping up, and why it keeps cropping up.

Scale later when you’ve figured out how to help people one at a time. (As per the Mother Theresa quote in my signature.)
ok thanks. Ill be stopping the questionnares/surveys and find out these answers through real interaction with a real product. I think i know what to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.