The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is a Slowlaner environment dragging you down? Has your personal environment changed?

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Of course it's no excuse, but....

In my "real" environment there is nobody who is interested in self-employment and entrepreneurship.... Also nobody is completely against it. But there is simply no interest... Slowlaners who are happy and satisfied.
Great people and my friends. No problem.

Some of you probably have this "problem" too, don't you?

Does it matter to you at all?
Have you noticed how you change yourself when you meet real people who act more like you?

Did you intentionally search for such people? Not to network business-wise but rather to simply surround yourself with them as friends?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Of course it's no excuse, but....

In my "real" environment there is nobody who is interested in self-employment and entrepreneurship.... Also nobody is completely against it. But there is simply no interest... Slowlaners who are happy and satisfied.
Great people and my friends. No problem.

Some of you probably have this "problem" too, don't you?

Does it matter to you at all?
Have you noticed how you change yourself when you meet real people who act more like you?

Did you intentionally search for such people? Not to network business-wise but rather to simply surround yourself with them as friends?

It would be hard to overstate the amount that my "real life" environment is a slowlane one.

I could rant and tell a crazy story of how bad it is, but suffice it to say that my friends are slowlaners and my husband is a sidewalker. So not much encouragement from that front. If I'm going to merge into the fastlane, I'm going to have to rise from the ashes of my upbringing and my surroundings.

Here's the way I look at it:

This is boot camp.

It's the perfect training ground for me to develop a strong, unbreakable internal locus of control.

My environment doesn't have to drag me down.

On the contrary, my environment is precisely the thing that makes me stronger. If I can triumph and stand alone and flourish in this environment, then I can make it through the very difficult journey of entrepreneurship.

It's like when a monarch butterfly is emerging from a chrysalis. I don't know if you've ever sat and watched this, but I have. The struggle is excruciating, and it takes hours.

If you help the butterfly by breaking open the chrysalis, then you're actually hurting it. Its wings never fully develop, and it dies.

The struggle is critical to the development and unfolding of the butterfly's delicate wings.

So while everyone else around me is doing their slowlane thing, I'm working to forge a new path. I'm developing new habits. I'm breaking old mindsets. I'm just quietly working away.

And I find there's a steadiness and a maturity that comes from being able to carry out my own plans in the face of the entire spectrum, from cluelessness to doubt to fear, that exists around me.

It's not that it doesn't matter---but I don't let it affect me.

All the best to you on your journey! It's not easy, but it's possible.

Last edited:

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
This is boot camp.

All the best to you on your journey! It's not easy, but it's possible.

thank you for your great reply! sure it is a great way to show grit and be independent.

maybe i change location for some time. move to one of these very cool "entrepreneur" hotspots and see how fast i will get fed up and go back to my quite and slowlane enivoment :D

D

Deleted50669

You have to see it as you are the protagonist in your own movie, and you have to save yourself. The fact is, most people fear risk and loss. They have entrenched emotional attachment to comfort and predictability. Take it away, and they get angry and scared. You as the entrepreneur have to be willing to look at yourself and say "I am willing to forfeit the common luxuries in the short term for uncommon luxuries in the long term." What ever those common luxuries are; social approval, adequate sleep, fitting in, etc., if you can't let those go you won't succeed. Do not give undue power to things inside your control. I live in DC, the most slowlane, rat-race shithole in the US. I don't let that environment deter my efforts and intentions, I just define my own path despite it.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Look at them with empathy and as your potential clients / buyers / employees.

Btw. I intentionally DON'T search for people who act like me... i don't like the echo chamber.

Last edited:

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Look at them with empathy and as your potential clients / buyers / employees.

Btw. I intentionally DON'T search for people who act like me... i don't like the echo chamber.

Great point! In fact, I personally find it more refreshing to interact with all sorts of people, on purpose, no matter how different or similar to me they are. Everything is learning...

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I don't have the time to socialize so I just make sure any down town I have is still sort of focused on this path, for instance this website is my homepage isntead of say facebook or reddit, I don't watch tv or listen to the radio (audiobooks)

Eventually I'm going to start some sort of networking or mastermind thing, even if it just ends up being a quick check in with everyone and a cup of coffee.

I don't have it too bad though, everyone at my work is at least a motivated slowlaner (5 of the RN's I work with are going for their masters degrees, they encourage me to do so and I sort of drop subtle hints about "gilded cages" and things without going on rants or being a jerk about it)

My wife tolerates my entrepreneurial ventures , i'm sure she'll be well on board as soon as I get some black ink going.

If I had anyone truly brining me down i'd cut them out in a heartbeat.

But again, I literally don't have the hours in the week for casual friendships and I imagine anyone else deep into this and trying to make things happen wouldn't either (hence the mastermind idea , a little coffee , I dont need your life story but its still pleasant human contact)

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
They make up the vast majority of consumers so I find it a great opportunity to do market research. The best part is they generally don't know why you're making small talk like this so you get some really interesting answers most producers would never think of.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.