The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is $50k too much?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Prompted by another thread [/USER] :)

Is $50k too much money?

Too many times I hear ...... that's too much! .... but i don't have that much. .... if i only had that much ......

Change your mindset.

Build a plan to go get whatever it is that is holding you back! Might be knowledge. Might be contacts. Might be cash.

You are not going to get a damn thing sitting back and making excuses.

Step1, what do i need to accomplish my goal?
Step2, what is holding me back or getting in my way?
Step3, how do i remove the barrier or gain the needed item/skill/opportunity?
Step4, commit to changing your mindset to one that will make that happen.
Step5, make that happen.

Challenge: Right now, go through those five steps for one of your goals.
Forum rep for anyone that posts their results.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Agreed with ygtrhos. ZCP, there are some people for whom the problem is not any lack of positive thinking or initiative.

There was a two year period in my life when the reason I wasn't making $50k, was that I was too sick to work. My oncologist's literal exact words to me were: "It's totally random bad luck that you have this tumor. I see NO risk factors that were involved here."

At that time, the answers to your question were:

Step1, what do i need to accomplish my goal?
I need surgery and chemotherapy so that cancer doesn't kill me.

Step2, what is holding me back or getting in my way?
It takes a while to get surgery and chemo and then to recover from it.

Step3, how do i remove the barrier or gain the needed item/skill/opportunity?
It is medically impossible to speed up this process in a way that has the documented statistical likelihood of success on which I'm willing to bet my life, literally.

Step4, commit to changing your mindset to one that will make that happen.
My mindset doesn't have a single f'ing thing to do with the availability of the necessary treatments and the recovery time that is required for them.

Step5, make that happen.
Out of my hands until it happens according to medical resources and prep and recovery time for me to be able to benefit from them.

At that time in my life, I didn't need a pep talk yelling at me to think positive.
I needed an oncology team, and the only reason I'm able to communicate to you today without a spiritual medium in the loop, is that I got that team and did what I had to do so they could help me to live.

Sometimes, all a person needs is a can-do attitude and some elbow grease.

Sometimes, there's a hell of a lot more involved, and compassion goes a lot farther than scolding.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The little icon for this forum on my iPad says ..... Entrepreneurship, Motivation, Startups, Marketing, Sucess, Money.

This forum has done a lot for me. One of the ways I try to give back is to help, motivate, get people through excuses and limiting beliefs. I ask questions like:
- how may have you sold?
- What will you do next to change it?
- how do you overcome this hurdle?

I challenge people. Pay exorbitant amounts for desserts. PM and skype those that need help at all hours of the night and day.

If my advice or thoughts do not currently apply to you or your particular situation, cool. Move on. Live life. Make progress.

@ygtrhos Your thread was one of three instances for me in that day where people brought up limiting beliefs. My post was an attempt to get people facing obstacles to do something incremental to hopefully overcome them. Reread it in a positive manner and see if there is any good in it.

The key part was 'Build a plan to go get whatever it is that is holding you back!'.

PM, brother. You got a lot going on in the post above. Breathe. Hang in there.

@Late Bloomer very inspirational. Wish you great health and a fantastic path to your future. Rep+

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@ZCP - I think the reason why @ygtrhos is upset is because he was answering a hypothetical of what he'd do if he had $3M to invest. His answer was to pursue a dream that for him would be akin to retirement (after he secured financial stability with the $3M).

I agree 100% with your post, and always appreciate your threads, however tagging @ygtrhos was a bit in poor taste.

We lack context about ygtrhos, and have little reason to make a thread where he's the focal point of potential ridicule.

rFfMWhN.png

For all we know he's living in one of Europe's poorer economies, and $50k is a lot to him. It's potentially 10 years salary. If gaining a net worth of $3M and starting his coconut business is his primary goal, then your advice is applicable.

However, we don't know his life goals, priorities, etc.

Yeah, the purpose of this forum is discussion about "Entrepreneurship, Motivation, Startups, Marketing, Success, Money", but all of us have different goals and different means of attaining those goals.

For all we know, @ygtrhos life goal is to accomplish a passive income equivalent to the average income in his home country. If that's the case, risking $50k for what he believes to be a pipe dream is senseless.

@ygtrhos - A bit of feedback for you: When someone calls you out, don't take it personally. We're all here to grow and learn. When you start using negative words and a negative tone, what that does is create unnecessary conflict and brands you in the wrong light.

Read your post again. It makes you come off as overly aggressive and combative. That's not someone that people want to engage with on an online forum. We're all here to help each other out and get better. Look at it from @ZCP's perspective. He was just trying to help you out. A better route for you would've been to politely tell him why you rather not be tagged.

If you're getting this riled up over an internet post linked to your anonymous persona, what happens when people customers talking shit about your real life business?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@AgainstAllOdds good post. Agree.

Here is the wording that had me post this thread:
My advice would be to choose one of these sectors and find a dude that does the work already successfully but needs money to expand. Be an investor in these areas.
I would, for example, choose food production, because I love fresh, exotic food. One of my dreams is to bring stuff like coconut water or fresh coconut to Western people's lives. To do this, I would go to Thailand and make a deal with a guy there, he would give a coconut to me for 20 cents maybe. Then I would go to a local plant and I would lease the whole plant from them and I would produce whatever I want. And I would then import it to countries where the demand is. I need about 50k$ for this, I would just guess it out of my a$$. All that hinders me is money.

Seemed like a spot where I might be able to help someone change their mindset. If all you need is money, then you are only calendar time and mindset from getting it. Is $50k insurmountable? Not if you take it $1 at a time. Make $1, then $10, then $100. Soon you will have your $50k. At the very least, you will have made progress.

Sit on shore and talk about how far that other island is and you will never get there. Swim a little more each day and eventually you make it. Even if you don't you are further along that you were. Even if you don't make it, you open other opportunities. Maybe there was a closer island that you never saw until you got a little ways out there.

TLDR: Don't let the size of an obstacle hinder you. Start chipping away and make progress toward getting around it.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I think once you start believing that $50K isn’t a lot of money, you are on a downward spiral.

People don’t get rich by treating money like air.

Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, are the most meticulous spenders when it comes to money.

People that spend 50K like nothing probably won’t be very rich for long.

Though I do understand your mindset argument.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
There's a section in the book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill where he writes how much he's going to make in a certain amount of time and that you have to have utter faith and belief that it will happen.

Bruce Lee did something similar. He wrote a letter to himself that he would get $10 million by 1980 and be the most popular oriental star in the world. Unfortunately, he died just before that happened in 1973 because his family got rich and became popular after Enter The Dragon came out in 1973.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
There's a section in the book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill where he writes how much he's going to make in a certain amount of time and that you have to have utter faith and belief that it will happen.

Bruce Lee did something similar. He wrote a letter to himself that he would get $10 million by 1980 and be the most popular oriental star in the world. Unfortunately, he died just before that happened in 1973 because his family got rich and became popular after Enter The Dragon came out in 1973.
I think Jim Carrey did the same actually

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

Some people who've looked into Hill's history, believe that at least some of Hill's anecdotes were either made up or delusional.

But, they might be fictional stories that inspire real-world results.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Some people who've looked into Hill's history, believe that at least some of Hill's anecdotes were either made up or delusional.

But, they might be fictional stories that inspire real-world results.
And it's not really important if the story isn't real. Its the message and lesson that is

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
And it's not really important if the story isn't real. Its the message and lesson that is

This came up in the Robert Kiyosaki thread. I personally think it's extremely unethical to aggressively market made-up fiction as though it was nonfiction, no matter how inspirational it might be. That's a form of manipulation. It disrespects that if someone had the free will choice about what to believe, they could choose wisely. It assumes the audience is so stupid or so broken, that you have to wrap up the truth in a lie so they'll accept it. I think it was morally wrong when Kiyosaki did it, morally wrong when Carlos Castenada did it, morally wrong when Hill did it.

I have no objection to a "business novel" or "inspirational novel" that is sold as fiction or embellishment, in order to dramatize a Big Idea. I think it was no moral problem at all when Goldratt and Cox did it with "The Goal" (business novel), and I don't object to James Redfield doing it with "The Celestine Prophecy" (spirituality novel).

There are other people on the forum who agree with you, that whatever lie gets people to take better action is always excusable. All I can say to that is, I hope I never have someone that "flexible" about the truth as my accountant or doctor!

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
its important to break down how many sales or customers you need to hit {goal}

service/product x units sold = {numbers}

so if you are selling something at $10 net profit you would need to make 5,000 sales

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
This came up in the Robert Kiyosaki thread. I personally think it's extremely unethical to aggressively market made-up fiction as though it was nonfiction, no matter how inspirational it might be. That's a form of manipulation. It disrespects that if someone had the free will choice about what to believe, they could choose wisely. It assumes the audience is so stupid or so broken, that you have to wrap up the truth in a lie so they'll accept it. I think it was morally wrong when Kiyosaki did it, morally wrong when Carlos Castenada did it, morally wrong when Hill did it.

I have no objection to a "business novel" or "inspirational novel" that is sold as fiction or embellishment, in order to dramatize a Big Idea. I think it was no moral problem at all when Goldratt and Cox did it with "The Goal" (business novel), and I don't object to James Redfield doing it with "The Celestine Prophecy" (spirituality novel).

There are other people on the forum who agree with you, that whatever lie gets people to take better action is always excusable. All I can say to that is, I hope I never have someone that "flexible" about the truth as my accountant or doctor!
But its a entrepreneur book on mindset. Not a medical book on heart surgery. What has Doctors and Engineers being flexible got anything to do with it?

The point is the exact same with the Bible - or other religious books. The stories may not be precisely fact and true to the T, but its not the story you're reading - its the principles and its teaching that its supposed to convery.

Not sure how you can't grasp your head around this.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
The issue is that these modern day books by current authors are being sold and promoted HARD as nonfiction - this is the literal truth of what happened to me, this is the literal truth of what happened to other people - THEREFORE you can do this too. NOT, here's an inspirational story that is partly true. Wrapping up something that's known to be the lie as though it's a truth is deceit. It's fraud. It's manipulation.

Not sure how you can't wrap your head around this.

Anyway, I think we've each made our point clearly.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Prompted by another thread [/USER] :)

Is $50k too much money?

Too many times I hear ...... that's too much! ....

I know you were being facetious, 50k is too much for me though.. My goal was 48k.(annually) and I got pushback for that.

That number is roughly 2x the median income locally. Which gives me 18-24 months full time to make something work, assuming I don't move to somewhere like Bulgaria, where it gives me nearer a 10 times the median income.

If a single individual can't live happily on 2x the median income, no amount of money will make them happy.

Now if I was in the US that's below the well off figure. I'd be aiming for nearer 125k.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.