The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introverted Software Engineer with a bumpy course of life says hello

Sepp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 27, 2020
Germany
Hello everyone,

finally, I joined the forum and want to introduce myself.

I am a Software Engineer from Germany, early 40s, introverted but not shy, with a well paying corporate job. Most of my peers would say I have a dream job. Problem: I am not happy with it.

Here are some other "businesses" I tried before I chose a slow lane career path:
  • Went to flee markets and bought almost all books and sold it on amazon. This worked pretty well for some time. I Worked like 2-3 days per week and earned about 3K€
  • I learned Joomla and started to make websites for friends/businesses I knew. Made roughly 1k€ a month
  • Bought and sold computer parts. Not so good. I don't like too much used-stuff lying around
  • Printed flyers for computer repair and handed it out to everyone. I got some calls but it was to much work for very little money. Maybe 200€ a month
  • Played poker. Won offline, lost more online -> Minus 2-3K€
I had this idea of a universal online money exchange where I would have accounts with all the financial institutes and offer a service where I would change from Paypal to Netteller, from CC to regular bank and so on. I would have taken a small cut and would have become rich in no time :)

I had a good knowledge of computers but could not code. I talked to some people and they told me I needed 60K€ for this project. I had no 60K€ so I enrolled in university to study computer science.

My idea was: After finishing Uni I can develop everything I want.

It took me 5 years to finish Uni because I had to work 2-3 jobs. It was quite tough.

After graduating with my CS degree I had no drive like before. Because I knew everything I would think waaaay too much and overanalyze everything. I had all the skills and couldn't do shit.

But I still think it was one of the best decisions to study computer science.

I was very exhausted and only wanted to work a 9-5 to reset a little bit. I was "lucky" to get a job as a software engineer at a small company. I learned a lot, paid of 15K€ debt from university, but I did not like the job. I was the only software engineer and the expectations were very high or unrealistic. I worked there for 2 years.

Then I switched to a big corporate enterprise where I work now. I do mostly business intelligence and database stuff. I like the work a lot, the pay is good, the job is considered safe.

I don't know if it counts as a FTE, but after some promises were neglected I came to the conclusion that I will not do this forever.
I have no control and I don't like that.

I had a lot of ideas over time which I took notes of. Three of them are quite good and survived the CENTS Test ;)

I started to build one of them, where I see the most potential.
By my estimation, there are ~5000 potential customers in Germany. I already have one small company as a potential customer, who offered me 1500€(One Time Payment) when I provide this software. I will provide the software on a subscription basis, except for this first one.

I can build a lot of things by myself like Web Apps, Mobile Apps, Desktop Applications, Server Applications, Database Systems, etc.
Proficient in C, C++, Qt, C#, Python, Javascript.

Bad at things like design, sales, marketing, networking( I am not a peoples person :D )

It's a lot of work at the beginning and therefore I don't know what the best approach is.

Probably a professional redesign will be needed.

I have quite a lot of free time, which I use to build this business

My plan is to work on a Fastlane business and stay in my corporate job and save more money. I plan to do this for 3 years max. By then I want to make at least what I make now, but work for myself.

Sorry for the long introduction.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Removed some personal information and rewrote accordingly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...