The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Intro, AMA, and a Recent Sale for $6M of InvestorJunkie.com

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

OP
OP
lludwig

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 18, 2018
New York
How you got traffic to your site? Any tips on getting free organic traffic?
see my AMA on SEO. If you have a specific question. Ask it there!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Hey Larry,

Have you noticed the new owners of Investor Junkie have changed the theme of the site?

From an SEO perspective, why do you think they would switch to a Themeforest theme knowing that the business had been built on user experience, speed, conversion, etc? Why would they spend $6m on a site and take the risk on hurting the evolution of the site?

To be honest, I think it hurts the value a little bit and could also hurt serps.

I thought this question might benefit future website buyers. Thoughts?

OP
OP
lludwig

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Hey Larry,

Have you noticed the new owners of Investor Junkie have changed the theme of the site?

From an SEO perspective, why do you think they would switch to a Themeforest theme knowing that the business had been built on user experience, speed, conversion, etc? Why would they spend $6m on a site and take the risk on hurting the evolution of the site?

To be honest, I think it hurts the value a little bit and could also hurt serps.

I thought this question might benefit future website buyers. Thoughts?
Yes, I am aware, and no I have no public comment.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 7, 2014
I'll take a private comment lol

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
After seeing what the company did to my business after I sold it, this sentiment sounds oddly familiar.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
I can understand that.

If you care to elaborate, I wanted to ask some questions regarding SEO for 2020.

The landscape to rank is definitely changing and it’s becoming harder in my opinion to get on page one. Plus, google is doing a better job keeping users on their site as appose to sending them off. Also, I’m seeing more snipits, Q&A, videos, paid ads on page one and less review type pages ranking. What are your thoughts on all this and how would you approach SEO in starting a new site with a small team and a small budget in 2020.

It seems like a lot of factors and checkboxes are coming into play with no guarantee google will reward you. Why take the gamble and hope that google recognizes you.

In regards to keyword research, do you focus more on search volume or click through data?

Just wondering, as an SEO yourself, how do you see search ranking changing going into 2020?

Thoughts?

OP
OP
lludwig

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I can understand that.

If you care to elaborate, I wanted to ask some questions regarding SEO for 2020.

The landscape to rank is definitely changing and it’s becoming harder in my opinion to get on page one. Plus, google is doing a better job keeping users on their site as appose to sending them off. Also, I’m seeing more snipits, Q&A, videos, paid ads on page one and less review type pages ranking. What are your thoughts on all this and how would you approach SEO in starting a new site with a small team and a small budget in 2020.
Sure, in fact, I recently discussed some of my thoughts on a recent article on my site about the trends for the next 10 years.

Currently, 60-85% of all traffic comes from organic search. You rely on Google for most of your traffic. Even though it’s on the decline, if you aren’t optimizing for Google, you should be. You are missing out on a huge audience for your blog.

Though the trend is obvious. Less traffic is coming from organic search. From the data at Advanced Ranking, in May 2014 the CTR was 39% for the #1 position in organic search.

Today the #1 position gets an average CTR of 31% or a decrease of 8%.
You should mix SEM with SEO IMHO. That's not to say you should ignore SEO, just the fact you have to "pay to play" at least some level for some keywords.

YouTube is another area that's still ripe for plucking with SEO. So I would do a multi-channel approach.

Schema is becoming more important and should be using it. Though like you said can be a double edge sword. In some cases, it's shown that showing in featured snippets can decrease the CTR of SERP. So it should create an open loop in which it causes people to want to click and not completely solve their problem. Even though Google may want that at some level. So add value but don't give away everything. In many cases Google's snippets can't do it all and the person must click to the source website.

Though for something like a recipe or some question and answer (in the case of voice search) then that might be all that's needed.

In regards to keyword research, do you focus more on search volume or click-through data?

Just wondering, as an SEO yourself, how do you see search ranking changing going into 2020?

Thoughts?
Neither, it's intent.

It's always been important and now even more so. What matters is quality over quantity. I want the right people to visit my site. What matters is with the keyword where are they alone the sales funnel journey. I always use this example. "what is a mortgage" compared to "best mortgage rate" is a much different intent and much further along in the sales funnel journey.

So don't hit the visitor with mortgage rates for "what is a mortgage". They are much earlier in the sales funnel process so you can't be so transactional. In fact, Google will penalize you for this.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
What’s the minimum amount of skills and knowledge needed to start the course ? This is...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Ah, I should've checked here to find out that it was free! Although, Amazon only charged $2 for...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D Loving your email sequence.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock