• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! Intro, AMA, and a Recent Sale for $6M of InvestorJunkie.com

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by lludwig, Aug 19, 2018.

1. fastlaner_1992

fastlaner_1992 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $21
    Inspirational, thank you!

lludwig likes this.
  2. Vincent_Vega

Vincent_Vega Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $176
    First of all, congratulations! $6M for an informational website is really great!

Two short question: Are the pre-sale traffic numbers of Investment Junkie also covered by the NDA?
    And did you really only monetize through affiliate marketing?

lludwig likes this.
  3. lludwig

lludwig Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    I can't discuss the numbers.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. mtnman

mtnman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,360
    Awesome job! Really digging your UI on some custom pages... You guys are seriously above the fold compared to a lot of benchmarks.

Not sure if this is appropriate or not, but was this bread to sell from the beginning? If not, can you comment on why you guys didn't delve into product creation to inch up on the totem pole a bit, instead of just relying on third party monetization?

I see other P2P/investing/similar vertical blogs doing fairly well by offering products and services. Curious if this is something you experimented with and it didn't go well, or just wasn't part of your master plan from the get go.

If that isn't something you'd prefer to talk about, how about these two:

1. What's the one thing you'd do differently if you were building Investor Junkie today?
    2. What's the one thing you'd do exactly the same if you were building Investor Junkie all over again?

Thanks for doing the thread, excellent job with the site!

lludwig likes this.
  5. lludwig

lludwig Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Thanks.

Actually did consider it but it's really a much different business. The question I asked was do I keep doing what we are doing or should I lock in those gains and start a new business? I obviously chose the latter.

Based upon the competition SEO for this space is much much harder than when I started. With now companies like The Wire Cutter and The Motley Fool entering this space. Plus with the company acquired Investor Junkie owning first, second and third position search position, it is becoming increasingly harder to compete. SEM, push notifications, social media (including messaging) are the way to go. Though for affiliate marketing in most cases SEO is a cheaper alternative. Otherwise with paid ads you are playing an arbitrage game. Though on the plus side it's easy to turn on and turn off and know immediate results if you are hanging your ladder on the right wall.

I also regret not building my personal brand at the same time. I built Investor Junkie as a brand because I did not want to have myself tied to it so it could be sold. In retrospect, I should have built my personal brand in parallel. It's hard with some mediums you have no choice but need a personal voice (ie video, email, podcast, social media, etc..) Unfortunately starting from scratch in my new ventures even if it's not in the same space it would be nice to have built that up and some of my raving fans would have come with me to my new businesses.

Focused on user experience and adding value for the reader.

Thanks!

6. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $82,623
    And how is it going? Working on a new business or just enjoying your transition phase?

lludwig likes this.
  7. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    IMG_0027.jpg
    Still in a transition with the website. Still planning out what's next.

Though did rent a new office space starting Jan 1st. I needed a view that was inspiring and got a window with a view. I know I want to do videos with the new business so I also wanted something more than a white background.

8. Suzanne Bazemore

Suzanne Bazemore Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,112
    @lludwig, congratulations, and thank you for sharing your story!

This whole thread is inspirational and helps me realize that it can be done.

lludwig likes this.
  9. Lionhearted

Lionhearted Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,635
    For me identifying my core principle was the key (the one thing that makes me most happy and must have in my life). In my case my core principle is freedom. I need to be option rich. I keep that in mind and move forward in way that complements my core principle and stay true to that. Congratulations on your success. I am benefiting greatly from this thread. Thank you. Love the "Lego for adults analogy".

Suzanne Bazemore and lludwig like this.
  10. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Ok starting to build my personal brand.

Want to learn more about me? I'm of course in the VERY early stages of creating my site but plan on at least starting to do consulting for others with affiliate marketing.

I list some of the tools I've used over the years. I also plan on discussing tricks/tips on affiliate marketing.

Plus plan on some courses in the future.

Signup to my mailing list and I'll let you know when new stuff becomes available.

This is at least one of my possible sources of future revenue, among others. Going the multiple streams of income route.

Visit: Larry Ludwig

buildpath and MTF like this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,270
    Admin Post
    Question that you probably know...

What is the terminology for an affiliate program that you implement at the registration page? (Click here to be sent an offer by XYZ company.)

I know it's done a lot in the financial space, but for the life of me I cannot remember the official term.

12. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $197,765
    Regus?

13. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Yup.

14. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Hey MJ,

Can you give me an example? I'm not sure I understand the question.

You mean the redirection page on my site? That says "Now redirecting you to offer X..." I assume you know what the purpose of that page is for?

As that's actually a good question to ask and can go into that question.

Intermediary page you mean?

-L

15. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,270
    Admin Post
    Not sure you are doing this, but I've heard it is common in the finance space.

When people register for your site, at the bottom there is a checkbox that says, "Would you like to receive a free report from XYZ company on the best mutual funds?"

When someone clicks the check box (they're already registering for YOUR service) you get paid because they opted in for the free report. That's a lead for the "free report company."

You're affiliating for the "free report company" and they pay you $1 for each registration lead.

There's terminology for this type of arrangement (beyond "affiliate program") which I can't remember.

Also Mixergy had a podcast with a dude in the financial space who was doing it, and was making a killing on it.

I've been unable to recall either.

Suzanne Bazemore likes this.
  16. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $82,623
    @MJ DeMarco, I think you're talking about co-registration (co-reg).

17. mikey3times

mikey3times Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,733
  18. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $404,270
    Admin Post
    Yes!! That's it!

ZeroTo100 and lludwig like this.
  19. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Ah ok, completely different than what I was thinking.

Yea Investing Channel is the company that popularized this email signup. I forget the terminology though.

I disliked this technique as I felt it was too spammy. Plus HATED Investing Channel as a service but that's a whole other story.

No, I did not do this but considered it. That was popular a few years ago, but I haven't seen anyone do this recently in mass. There was much more money to be made than that way.

Emails, in general, I had an issue to monetize.

Unlike other niches, investing readers had a very limited lifetime. It was not uncommon for me to completely refresh the list within one year. Meaning an email subscriber lasted no longer than a year, if that. Meaning they would get the information they needed and be gone. Sure they may have and did come back for other topics but it was to satisfy other specific needs than long-term general education. People just don't have the patience to invest for the long-term and the habits I saw from readers confirmed it as well.

A side note it was very common for individuals to test out two robo-advisors and would pick the winner (in total returns) after six months!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    mikey3times likes this.
  20. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Zero Hedge has an example on their site since they use Investing Channel.

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.11.34 PM.png

MJ DeMarco and ZeroTo100 like this.
  21. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Yup I couldn't think of the name either.

22. Thomas Baptiste

Thomas Baptiste Third of His Name Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,438

Woah! Thanks for the insight on the hosting and development industry that you got out of. Funny that I was actually heading down this same path, but you sharing your experience will surely help my journey. Congratulations on your success, and welcome to the forum.

lludwig likes this.
  23. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Stay away! Stay far away from hosting. There is more money (profit) to be made using a hosting provider's affiliate program than doing hosting yourself.

buildpath, Thomas Baptiste and Fox like this.
  24. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Ok getting to the intermediary page since that wasn't MJ's question, but it is something I think it's important to understand what the purpose of it is for.

It's a temporary page that is seen before going to the vendor's website after clicking on a cloaked affiliate link (ie investorjunkie.com/go/fidelity ).

It serves multiple purposes.
    1. Makes the visitor aware you are low leaving your site and going to the vendor's site. There is a clear distinction of when the reader is leaving your site. Even then people still asked me about services as if they were ours.
    2. Ad tracking services like Facebook's pixel can be placed on this page so you at least have the "add to cart" signal to help with conversions. Could be used on the "onclick" but the Javascript may not fire properly so this is more reliable.
    3. To SEO it can be seen as an additional step before going officially offsite.
    4. Can be used to pass and convert cookied info as HTTP GET parameters to the vendor for tracking purposes. Most affiliate systems use at least the HTTP protocol for conversion tracking as it's the most reliable.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.27.32 PM.png

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  25. Carlitosway

Carlitosway New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $41
    Wow really strong insight

lludwig likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.