• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! Intro, AMA, and a Recent Sale for $6M of InvestorJunkie.com

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by lludwig, Aug 19, 2018.

1. fastlaner_1992

fastlaner_1992 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $11
    Inspirational, thank you!

lludwig likes this.
  2. Vincent_Vega

Vincent_Vega Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $156
    First of all, congratulations! $6M for an informational website is really great!

Two short question: Are the pre-sale traffic numbers of Investment Junkie also covered by the NDA?
    And did you really only monetize through affiliate marketing?

lludwig likes this.
  3. lludwig

lludwig Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,953
    I can't discuss the numbers.

Yes it was only affiliate marketing.

4. mtnman

mtnman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,175
    Awesome job! Really digging your UI on some custom pages... You guys are seriously above the fold compared to a lot of benchmarks.

Not sure if this is appropriate or not, but was this bread to sell from the beginning? If not, can you comment on why you guys didn't delve into product creation to inch up on the totem pole a bit, instead of just relying on third party monetization?

I see other P2P/investing/similar vertical blogs doing fairly well by offering products and services. Curious if this is something you experimented with and it didn't go well, or just wasn't part of your master plan from the get go.

If that isn't something you'd prefer to talk about, how about these two:

1. What's the one thing you'd do differently if you were building Investor Junkie today?
    2. What's the one thing you'd do exactly the same if you were building Investor Junkie all over again?

Thanks for doing the thread, excellent job with the site!

lludwig likes this.
  5. lludwig

lludwig Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,953
    Thanks.

Actually did consider it but it's really a much different business. The question I asked was do I keep doing what we are doing or should I lock in those gains and start a new business? I obviously chose the latter.

Based upon the competition SEO for this space is much much harder than when I started. With now companies like The Wire Cutter and The Motley Fool entering this space. Plus with the company acquired Investor Junkie owning first, second and third position search position, it is becoming increasingly harder to compete. SEM, push notifications, social media (including messaging) are the way to go. Though for affiliate marketing in most cases SEO is a cheaper alternative. Otherwise with paid ads you are playing an arbitrage game. Though on the plus side it's easy to turn on and turn off and know immediate results if you are hanging your ladder on the right wall.

I also regret not building my personal brand at the same time. I built Investor Junkie as a brand because I did not want to have myself tied to it so it could be sold. In retrospect, I should have built my personal brand in parallel. It's hard with some mediums you have no choice but need a personal voice (ie video, email, podcast, social media, etc..) Unfortunately starting from scratch in my new ventures even if it's not in the same space it would be nice to have built that up and some of my raving fans would have come with me to my new businesses.

Focused on user experience and adding value for the reader.

Thanks!

6. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $70,173
    And how is it going? Working on a new business or just enjoying your transition phase?

lludwig likes this.
  7. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $4,953
    IMG_0027.jpg
    Still in a transition with the website. Still planning out what's next.

Though did rent a new office space starting Jan 1st. I needed a view that was inspiring and got a window with a view. I know I want to do videos with the new business so I also wanted something more than a white background.

Suzanne Bazemore, MTF and mikey3times like this.
  8. Suzanne Bazemore

Suzanne Bazemore Act until echo. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $336
    @lludwig, congratulations, and thank you for sharing your story!

This whole thread is inspirational and helps me realize that it can be done.

lludwig likes this.
  9. Lionhearted

Lionhearted Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,430
    For me identifying my core principle was the key (the one thing that makes me most happy and must have in my life). In my case my core principle is freedom. I need to be option rich. I keep that in mind and move forward in way that complements my core principle and stay true to that. Congratulations on your success. I am benefiting greatly from this thread. Thank you. Love the "Lego for adults analogy".

Suzanne Bazemore and lludwig like this.