The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intermittent fasting

GThreepwood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2012
Basically statements like: "I feel so alert, and focused, and have tons of energy." Are kinda a red flag in my mind if you're in a calorie deficit because that "usually" means stress hormone cascade, like lots of adrenaline and cortisol.

Try taking ephedrine (synthetic adrenaline) I bet you'll feel pretty similar :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CTamme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 27, 2012
QC, Iowa
The largest part of successful fasting is getting off the processed crap. Once you eliminate processed foods and oils from your diet it is ten times easier to successfully fast. I did a 16/8 fasting schedule for 2 years and I was most successful when I ate clean. Eat lots of vegetables and meat and on days you exercise include white rice or sweet potatoes.

I have actually stopped being so strict with my fasting because I found it hard to eat enough calories in the day to gain weight. I would stuff myself and still not get enough calories. Once I reach my weighlifting goals I plan on going back to a strict everyday fast to lean out again.

GThreepwood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2012
Red Flag why?

Apologize for repeating myself :) But here's it again:

Because that "usually" means stress hormone cascade, like lots of adrenaline and cortisol.

Try taking ephedrine (synthetic adrenaline) I bet you'll feel pretty similar.

Adrenaline and cortisol are usually symptoms you're not getting enough energy and your body is stressed out and kinda "panicking" to release glucose into your bloodstream.

Over time, that can damage your metabolism, and your body in general, even though it can "feel good."

That feeling good usually isn't sustainable long term.

Everyone is different I understand, and at the same time, personally I don't think elevated stress hormones are the best for ya.

JAWS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 25, 2012
Chicago, IL
He calls himself a "bio-hacker" so I was suspicious at first, but apparently he does this site as a side project. I've been following him for 3 months and I can genuinely say I feel healthier (And I was healthy to start). Almost all of his posts are based off scientific research so I can't really argue with that.

But honestly, you have to check it our for yourself because only you will know if his info is BS or really works for your body.

Is this guy legit? Just checked out the site and it looks very interesting.

I had great results so far with IF. I'm fasting for 22 hours and eat for 2, lift heavy 3 times a week and add about 20-30mins of low intensity cardio after my lifting. Lost approx. 20lbs in 5 weeks and feel great, no cravings, no hunger during fasting. Just great.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
I've been doing IF on and off for a while. The first week I did IF (I had no visible abs) I lost 9 lbs and 10% body fat and was able to see the top portion of my abdominals. Fat was literally melting off. My eating window was 4-6 hours long and if my hunger got the best of me, I just chugged a bottle of water. I noticed the increase in energy NOT because I didn't eat but more so because I realized I was always groggy and sleepy after eating my normal meals which means your body is expending your energy to digest the food. Never really put it into that perspective (food coma hahaha).

It's definitely hard to get used to because we're all human and I'm still struggling, but I would definitely recommend it to a lot of people. I have asthma and high blood pressure but after a few sessions of IF, I could see a noticeable difference in my breathing and heart rate. I still use IF and am currently trying to incorporate it into my day as more of a normal days routine because IF is not a DIET, it's a lifestyle. People keep getting that confused with a crash diet. You get your days nutrients in a shorter amount of time, not necessarily less calories.

Overall I think IF will help your overall health physically and mentally. If you want more info look up Eat, Fast, and Live Longer on Youtube by BBC Horizon. It should be an entertaining watch! QUESTIONS?! :)

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
IF works great, especially if you do cardio during your fast. The fat just melts off me, but bulking on IF is a little harder, since you have to put in all your calories needs + 500 extra to put on size.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Apologize for repeating myself But here's it again:

Because that "usually" means stress hormone cascade, like lots of adrenaline and cortisol.

I apologize for not understanding "Stress hormone cascade". First time I'm hearing that. Next time I'll look up something I don't know before asking you. I wouldn't want you to repeat yourself again.

GThreepwood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2012
I noticed the increase in energy NOT because I didn't eat but more so because I realized I was always groggy and sleepy after eating my normal meals which means your body is expending your energy to digest the food. Never really put it into that perspective (food coma hahaha).

A good chunk of the time "food comas" are not because of digestion issues.

A lot of the time they're because.

1.) You're running on adrenaline (stress) so you feel alert and amped up.
2.) You eat food, which shuts down your stress hormones (carbs usually do this best.)
3.) Your body doesn't have the "stress boost" any longer, so you go back to "baseline" which is probably "feeling tired" cause you've been stressed and your body wants to sleep to repair.

GThreepwood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2012
I apologize for not understanding "Stress hormone cascade". First time I'm hearing that. Next time I'll look up something I don't know before asking you. I wouldn't want you to repeat yourself again.

I was honestly apologizing, I didn't want to sound like I was repeating myself, and thought maybe you didn't that part of my post.

No rudeness intended.

Stress hormones are usually Adrenaline and Cortisol. They're usually not very good when chronically elevated over long periods of time.

Here's a quick Wiki on them if anyone is interested, it's pretty short: Stress hormone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
A good chunk of the time "food comas" are not because of digestion issues.

A lot of the time they're because.

1.) You're running on adrenaline (stress) so you feel alert and amped up.
2.) You eat food, which shuts down your stress hormones (carbs usually do this best.)
3.) Your body doesn't have the "stress boost" any longer, so you go back to "baseline" which is probably "feeling tired" cause you've been stressed and your body wants to sleep to repair.

Yea I see where you're coming from. So you could still reap the benefits if you don't take in carbs is what you're saying? The point that we get groggy might be different for everyone. The parasympathetic nervous system is probably relaxing our body in preparation to digest just like animals do in hibernation. That would explain the shutting down of your adrenaline as you suggest. I believe its both Fats and Carbs that stimulate the PNS into the hibernation mode (Chinese take out does this very well LOL).

Sticking to the topic of IF, I'd still recommend. It's nice to try new things out to see what works best for you.

To each his own :)

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I was honestly apologizing, I didn't want to sound like I was repeating myself, and thought maybe you didn't that part of my post.

No rudeness intended.

Sorry. It came off the wrong way.

Thanks for the info. I'll read up on it.

BTW- I was looking at another post by you about Frank Kerns Mass Control. I'm going to look into it. Is it something worth checking out or do you think my money would be better spent elsewhere? How was your experience? You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks! :D

klh6686

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Aug 12, 2007
Ga
[video=vimeo;50912488]https://vimeo.com/50912488[/video]

This is the only copy I could find being hosted still, it was on youtube w/o the subs but it was removed due to copyright.

Anyways, I've always been naturally scrawny as I started lifting around 140lbs and bulked to about 170 a couples years ago. I did this with the typical 6-8 small meals a day method as it's all i knew at the time.

My personal experiences w/ IF consists of about 2 months where i wanted to cut some weight this past summer. I went pretty extreme as I typically do in most things I do and only allowed myself a 4 hour window. I believe I was consuming on average around 1500 cal a day of very clean foods so the deficit was very drastic.

I lost weight extremely fast but my lifts in the gym were still improving(deadlifting 2 times bodyweight at 160lbs) working out in the morning after a full night fast, I felt great and felt like my body was really working the way that it should.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Man IF sounds great, especially from the results people here get from it. But DAMN I starve if I don't eat for 3-4 hours. And when I'm starving I'll literally eat anything.

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
I am on IF for 20 months.

Minus 17 kg (37,5 lb) and what's really interesting - plus 4 kg (9 lb) of pure muscle mass.

No gym. Only home training.

And they say you cannot be both in catabolic (loosing weight) and anabolic mode. BS.

Well, this post is not for the faint of heart.

So... This is not "dufus version" of IF as Dan Pena would say it.

If you wanna check it, read on.

What I had found out is that:

1) I'm very insulin/carbs sensitive. That means I quickly, easily and efficielntly
gain weigh. And carbs are the only reason for that.

Phinney and Volek called that "carbs intolerance"

If you are overweight you are carbs intolerant. Period. That's it.

2) After breakfast - even low-carb breakfast like eggs, butter and bacon
I was hungry pretty quick, and eating breakfst made me eat even more
during the day.

So - f**k that.

What I do now (for last 20 months)

I eat only 2 times a day.

Around 4 pm and 9 pm. I gave myself only 1h window for eating.

Let's say I eat at 4 pm, and at 4:55 I feel I would like to have
some nuts. That's good. I can have them, 5 minutes to the dead
line.

If I feel it at 5:05 - gotta wait till 9 pm.

Simple.

What I eat.

This is where it gets interesting. I'm on very low carb ketogenic diet.

Which means 20-30 grams of carbs daily max. And I'm watching my
protein intake. Too much protein works like carbs (a little) - makes
your insulin level up.

To me, doing IF on high or medium carb diet is and up-hill battle.
Carbs will take your insulin levels up, which means your appetite
up.

Why would you want to complicate your life?

Ketosis means you're burning fat. You stop being glucose
dependant. And you're body has fat reserves. Which means
you thrive on crisis so to speak.

You have constant access to good calories.

I eat about 75-80% kcal from fat; 15-20% from proteins and
around 3-5% from carbs.

Last thing - about 2 days ago I was recommeded to read newest
book by Nassim Taleb - Antifragile. If there's someone
who's close to genius this days, it's Nassim.

In this book he talks about stresors that make you stronger.
Controlled hunger is one of them.

IF can make you stronger. It made me.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
This is the only copy I could find being hosted still, it was on youtube w/o the subs but it was removed due to copyright.
Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoying this documentary.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Can someone share how much they eat, and what they eat? I mean real meals - not calories/macronutrients.

And how the hell do you beat the hunger?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And how the hell do you beat the hunger?

Your hunger is due to being addicted to carbs, mainly sugar.

I've moved my normal diet to be low sugar (which usually transcends to low carb because FN sugar is in everything, even the bread!) and my appetite disappeared -- I probably have to force myself to eat 2,000 cal a day. I can immediately feel a difference and as the other posters have alluded, it has much to do with how your body reacts to carbs via the insulin reaction.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
protein and some fruit/veggies (prob from fiber content) are very filling for me and take away hunger. Add in a few vitamin supplements and it takes work to eat!

Also, if you find yourself hungry, often times it is lack of water. Your body not being hydrated can seem like hunger. Try filling a 64 oz jug of water in the morning(you can add lemons/cucumber for flavor) and sip on it throughout the day. It's easy way to get your 8 glasses in at a minimum. I add wheatgrass/greens powder sometimes w/ a little stevia and squeezed lemons and you get a nutritious alkaline drink that tastes like lemonade and not grass clippings! Try working up to 128oz, its not that hard when you have a jug around you sipping on it every few min. The alternative of remembering to go fill up an 8oz glass at least 8x a day, let alone 16 is pretty much impossible for me.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Im sorry to ask this here but i don't now how else to reach you.

hey Mj i am 16 years old and wanting to make money i em preparing to make money on ebay buying and selling and learning the basics i also bought your book can’t wait to read it.

But i got a question you reccomend any other books for me?
And have any tips for me i live in holland by the way.
Since i am this young i got a lot of things to do and learn i live with my mom and go to school i got plenty of free time so basicly what would you reccomend me to do?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But i got a question you reccomend any other books for me?

Hello son! The books I recommend as well as other Fastlaners are all listed here:

Book Recommendations for Entrepreneurship Marketing and Success

i got plenty of free time so basicly what would you reccomend me to do?

Continue to educate yourself and then take action on that education.

Please do not comment further in this thread as it is not appropriate to the topic being discussed here. Thanks and welcome to the forum. :) :tiphat:

Last edited:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

I've moved my normal diet to be low sugar (which usually transcends to low carb because FN sugar is in everything, even the bread!) and my appetite disappeared -- I probably have to force myself to eat 2,000 cal a day. I can immediately feel a difference and as the other posters have alluded, it has much to do with how your body reacts to carbs via the insulin reaction.

I have cut sugar out of my diet for the last 2-3 months (other than the occasional cheat meal). I still get way hungry. I've been up since 7:30 this morning and haven't eaten - I'm pretty damn hungry.

klh6686

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Aug 12, 2007
Ga

This part is crucial, I've helped a lot of friends with their diet and I always ask them right away: "how much sugar do you consume daily" and they always tell me not much, then we add up what they actually eat and they're blown away at the places they're getting sugar.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
they're blown away at the places they're getting sugar.

Bread.
Pretzels.
Salad Dressing.
Spaghetti Sauce.
Wheat Thins Chips.
Cereal.
Almond Milk.

I used to eat organic cereal with Almond milk as a late night snack ... sounds healthy eh?

Well that little snack had more sugar than a can of Coke.

I invite folks to take a look at how much sugar is everything and then once you find yourself disgusted, reframe the word "sugar" to something more virulent.

The thing that really helped me cut down was to look at the nutrition label and reframe "Sugar: 10g" to "Lard: 10g"

Seriously, if you looked a nutrition label and saw "Belly Fat: 10g" or "Heavy Metals: 10g" instead of sugar:10g, it's so much easier to not buy the junk.

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
carbs are carbs.

sugar, grains and starches = glucose = insulin.

cut out ALL sugar. cut out ALL grains. cut out ALL fructose.
see what happens.

you gotta understand. dieting and nutrition is not rocket science.
this is not magic.

it's pure biochemistry and physiology.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
And when you do eat make sure you eat a lot of FAT! Bacon, avocado, butter, macadamia nuts, etc. The fats make you feels satiated and therefore less hungry. It's counter intuitive but fat doesn't make you fat. It's the carbs (sugar, grains, etc.)!

Issac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 16, 2012
Elk Grove California
Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. Tons of great info here. Brad Pilon has another approach called Eat Stop Eat and I think the Warrior Diet is a more drastic approach to the IF lifestyle. Insulin is the strongest hormone in the human body and controls everything else. At the end of the day it comes down to consistency and patience. The mindset you have towards entrepreneurship, and the principles you apply on a daily basis, should carry over to health and fitness. Good Luck Fellas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.