The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[INSIDERS] Even Though My Idea Seemed Outlandish - I Pursued It!

Idea threads

Natural

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Nov 7, 2013
Just seeing this process is worth my yearly subscription and more.. WOW!!! Read the entire thing in one go.

Truely amazing.. And so glad I found this forum too.

- Sent you all my rep $ because you inspired me and fueled my own project 110% more, thank you.

Keep the updates coming! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Huge Shout out to @HarryR!

He worked with J and me all day today to get the conversion pixels to operate correctly between shopify, facebook and cpv lab.

Dude, you fixed in one day what we've been trying to fix for over a week. We've hired shopify experts off odesk, spent hours on the phone with shopify support, countless support tickets with cpv lab and you pinpoint the issues and got them fixed like an absolute pro.

Rep coming your way!

Last edited by a moderator:

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013
Yes @HarryR you rock! This thing has frustrated the HECK out of me!! @JasonR It's FIXED!!! Lol

Edit: @csalvato without you in-boxing me - I wouldn't have found Harry :) - I also heard you pitched in!! Thank YOU so much :)

Last edited:

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Huge Shout out to @HarryR!
He worked with Jaie and me all day today to get the conversion pixels to operate correctly between shopify, facebook and cpv lab.
Dude, you fixed in one day what we've been trying to fix for over a week.

Very nice, Mr. Harry! Thank you for providing value to the world.

I heard about the conversion pixel demons. Now I know who to reach out to in the event that I have coding issues with my online biz. Send me a holler if you need help with anything. And if I can't help, I most certainly will find someone who can. =P

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Mark Foster II

Building my HIGHWAY
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2014
:wideyed:WOW!!!!! Congrats on your journey thus far and thank you for.....I don't know.....inspiring the shit out of me! This has been the first thread that I've read from beginning to end and I'm truly amazed and INSPIRED by how ACTION has led you to where you are now and most importantly where you're GOING! I'll continue to follow and am looking forward to future updates! You've really put a bunch in perspective for me. :notworthy:

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
You and your progress are absolutely mind-blowing. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. This thread is easily one of my top 3 on this forum.

Have you or are you considering licensing your product?

Thanks and rep transfer on the way!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Awesome thread. I've just read it from start to finish. Your enthusiasm and energy just jump off the page. Seriously, really well done on your massive progress so far!

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks and rep transfer on the way!

Thank YOU @KLaw!!

Seriously, really well done on your massive progress so far!

Thank YOU @Andy Black!!

I know I need to make an update soon - so much is going on - I am moving to my final location (I've been subleasing) this week coming up and I'll come back and update after I settle…Lots of good stuff to report :)

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
Just got through reading this thread and all I can say is WOW! This is awesome! You went from nothing to your own product in just a few months! That's crazy (good)! It makes me feel like an ant compared to you lol. Congrats!

G.Wyatt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Oct 3, 2014
Cairns, Australia
This is the stuff of legends. Thank you to the bottom of my hear for sharing. The books have steered my in the right direction, altered my thinking - but your posts and down to earth attitude has truly made me stop and think of all the little things I do that I never question, but found frustrating.
I am so looking forward to the next few days now. My life has been flipped upside down.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@bensonj ... I feel dumpted. :( Did we get dumpted ?

No no no...she wouldn't dump us.
Alien abduction prolly...I hear that happens out there in Arizona. :blackalien:
Maybe that's why everyone's like "You have to move here ! Its the best place on the planet !"
Ya right.... Best place on the planet to get a one way ticket off this rock and into a lab with naked alien doctors running around !
Didn't see that coming did ya ? I'm on to you ! o_O

Whew...seriously... Three is a pattern I've seen with some not posting so often...success is happening.

We still need an update. ;)

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
She and I have weekly phone calls that usually last at least 2 hours. Half of the time is spent laughing and the other half is spent strategizing how to better our lives, not just our businesses.

Whew...seriously... Three is a pattern I've seen with some not posting so often...success is happening.

People come and go for many reasons. You know the culture of the forum has changed when one of its own moderators is responding to people with anger and cussing. It sets quite an example for others and closes many off from wanting to express themselves here.

While most solely focus on money accumulation, bensonj is on a holistic journey that leads to genuine fulfillment. I'm talking about genuine relationships and friendships, mastery of emotions, great health, and financial freedom. That's the stuff a life of passion is made of.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
While most solely focus on money accumulation, bensonj is on a holistic journey that leads to genuine fulfillment. I'm talking about genuine relationships and friendships, mastery of emotions, great health, and financial freedom. That's the stuff a life of passion is made of.

This is a consistent theme I am noticing in the successful and those who soon will be. Thanks for sharing @IceCreamKid

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
This is a consistent theme I am noticing in the successful and those who soon will be. Thanks for sharing @IceCreamKid

I might take it as far as to say that it's the EASIEST way to create a successful business because the journey has far less internal friction. That's why I always say it all begins with mindset.

How does one expect to take focused action if he has relationship issues with a loved one who is draining their mental space and energy? How does one expect to think with clarity if they're eating junk food that causes dizziness, constipation, sleepiness and lethargy? How does one expect to deal with the difficult times in biz if they haven't learned to master their emotions?

I'm going to write a book about this holistic approach when I have some downtime, complete with action items at the end of each chapter. It's really important to have all aspects of your life working in harmony with each other.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I might take it as far as to say that it's the EASIEST way to create a successful business because the journey has far less internal friction. That's why I always say it all begins with mindset.

How does one expect to take focused action if he has relationship issues with a loved one who is draining their mental space and energy? How does one expect to think with clarity if they're eating junk food that causes dizziness, constipation, sleepiness and lethargy? How does one expect to deal with the difficult times in biz if they haven't learned to master their emotions?

I'm going to write a book about this holistic approach when I have some downtime, complete with action items at the end of each chapter. It's really important to have all aspects of your life working in harmony with each other.

Succinctly and excellently put. Will look forward to reading your best seller. ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You know the culture of the forum has changed when one of its own moderators is responding to people with anger and cussing.

Link?

I assume this is a jab at me, but I am not sure that I have ever responded with anger at a poster or cussed at a poster.

I'd be interested in a reference or a link to what you are referring to.

The forum is at an all time high for traffic. A few of the changes that have taken place here over the last several months have virtually zero to do with me personally. You're probably more directly involved than any of the moderators, actually.

Let's have you vet out what you're insinuating here. Subtle jabs shouldn't go unchecked. Say what you mean to say.

I see a group of moderators here that have fully supported you and given you a great platform to help people. Tell me what you see.

Do you know that two of the mods here have been personally invested in helping the OP directly?

Last edited:

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
@bensonj thank you for sharing your story here. I'm only new to the forums, but reading this thread has shown me how quickly one can go from having an idea to building a multi million dollar business. I look forward to hearing future updates and appreciate you opening my eyes to what's possible. Rep+

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
bensonj is on a holistic journey that leads to genuine fulfillment.
I am glad to read this. While I have not met or spoken on the phone with her yet, I am happy for her. One can learn a lot about a person through the words they write and don't write.
That's the stuff a life of passion is made of.
Yea baby ! Passion !

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013
Again, thanks for everyone who checked in for an update. I really appreciate it. I first need to address something:

@IceCreamKid made a statement about me and the forum that I'd like to speak to first… I am indeed on a very holistic journey - but that isn't anything new - I've been on that journey for over a decade. It's an ongoing process and in my opinion if I'm not growing and stretching myself I'm not moving forward. He did however make a statement about mods cussing and so forth that I wanted to clear up from my end. I have mentioned to not only IceCreamKid but another member of this forum that all the f-bombs and calling people idiots, etc. from anyone was just too much for me. Why? Because I work very hard at protecting my energy. It doesn't make me feel good. I wouldn't go to a bar and hang out with people who talked like that and I make no apologies for it.

Part of my journey is just to try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. I also like to see others treated the way I would like to be treated and the way I try to treat them. Do I hit the mark always no, but I work at it daily. BUT people have the right to be, do and say whatever they want to and I have a right to be around it or not. When this all happened there was a ton of drama and gossip going on around one of the members and with where I was with my own product and conflicts, my move here to AZ, missing my family, etc. I just chose to reduce my time here temporally (as conveyed to MJ).

This forum will always hold a special place in my heart, because @MJ DeMarco's book truly changed my life for the better. I will always give him and his wisdom credit for that. To be able to interact with him and others like him, some who have helped me greatly, has been a real Godsend and I am very very grateful.

Here is what has happened since my last update:

Life Lessons:

I stopped listening to my gut. I took on partners and an investor too soon. All of the doors that opened and the early success I experienced should have remained my focus. Instead I jumped the gun and made decisions based on thoughts of growing bigger faster. I ignored all of the signs that were showing me to not do it (including an almost halt to sales), but the thought of not having to struggle so hard to buy materials, place larger orders sooner and other things like that caused me to make decisions that changed how I looked at my own product. Towards the end of the partnership I was ready to quit the whole thing.

I also took advice from people based on THIER success. I put tons of stock in their success instead of having faith in my own ideas, looking at my own customer base and acting accordingly. Money was spent that I wish hadn't been spent which was a costly lesson to learn.

What did I learn from all of this. It's OKAY to change your mind. It's OKAY to say NO…I can't exactly remember when or what day, but I woke up and realized that I had to try to "unwind" my choices. Was it comfortable? Heck No! Did I feel good about it? Heck No…but I knew I would feel worse allowing something to go on that was wrong (which I would have done 5 years ago). At the time, I had decided to sell through what inventory I had, see if I could turn the investment into a loan (funny thing was, all of the money had never been deposited) and talk to the others about dissolving the newly formed entity. My initial thoughts even included after selling through the inventory to just table the product/business for awhile until I figured it out.

Fortunately everyone respected and honored my request and it was quickly unwound. I have an agreement in place to repay the investment and I got my product back. I don't believe there are any hard feelings and from what I can see, everyone is thriving and moving forward.

So what's going on now?

I've decided to fully commit my time and efforts to making my product a success. I'm busier than I've ever been. Amazon sales are amazing. Sales range anywhere from $200 - $600 per day. I am included in their email marketing from time to time and on those days - sales are on the higher side. Amazon profits are just okay because I raised my sell price. Still not where I would like it to be, but that is all about to change (keep reading) :) Web sales are more profitable (no fees) but still dependent on the exposure received at any given time. But, a month ago, there was a review that was picked up by the largest hair site in the nation and I experienced my first $1,000 day. That was crazy. :)…We are in talks now to begin selling in their online store the first quarter of 2015. Since my product stems from my illness and hair loss they are also interested in me writing for their blog on a regular basis on the subject. I feel that will be great exposure for my product.

I'm revising my blog with the focus of helping women return to healthy hair after losing it due to major illness and I'm on the last pages of my first hair book (same subject matter). I have several more products in mind, but I'm not launching anything until I have my production nailed consistently with the one that is selling. I'm staying focused.

In addition to the above, I'm doing all of the folding, packing for FBA and shipping for web customers. I'm now doing my own social media (albeit not a very good job with it). I'm still interacting with folks who want samples for reviews and starting to get more requests from salons. All while trying to get a little sleep and throw in a meal or two :) OH and enjoy this amazing picture perfect place I now live in.

What I'm really excited about is I am about to place my first order with China. My brother's best friend has been importing from China for 17 years and once my brother saw how my product was taking off, he introduced me to his friend. He actually has an office in Manhattan and in Hong Kong. We have been working on the process for 3 months and I just signed off on the first sample. What I'm loving is the product will come to me FINISHED! No more folding, it will be in the packaged bag along with the printed thank you card.

My costs will drop by more than half and I will realize an immediate profit producing overseas. My current mfg. here in AZ has agreed to do the fulfillment and also the shipments to Amazon. My MOQ is only 1000 pieces which I'm currently producing here in the states - so everything is shaping up remarkably well. The fabric there is perfect and I now can pick between 40 different colors. I never knew I could be so excited about fabric consistency lol.

I'm very confused about the shipping but I'm determined to learn - I've been told I need a freight forwarder but @AllenCrawley and IceCreamKid did some inquiring for me and gave me the names of some forwarders and advice from @biophase, @Vigilante and one of IceCreamKid's friends. THANK YOU ALL!

My advice to anyone who is looking to take this CRAZY journey - just don't give up ever. Even if you make a mistake and alter your course…just get back on course as quick as you can. Never ignore your instincts. What I had forgotten is this product came out of my mind…from that invisible creative place. I followed the guidance until I didn't and that was my mistake. Now that it is all back in my hands, I'm once again following that guidance and the product is taking on a little life of its own….I'm just trying to be a good steward over it.

I will try to not wait so long for the next update - but if I do just tag me - I still get the updates to my email. Thanks again You All! Have the BEST Week Ever!

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks @Twista! You are hardly an "ant" just keep going!!

@G.Wyatt - You're Welcome! If I can help either of you ladies, please PM me.

Thanks for checking in @csalvato!

@Bigguns50 - NO dumping EVER!

Thank You @Mr.B for the rep and the kindness…

Y'all :rockon:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@IceCreamKid made a statement about me and the forum that I'd like to speak to first… I am indeed on a very holistic journey - but that isn't anything new - I've been on that journey for over a decade. It's an ongoing process and in my opinion if I'm not growing and stretching myself I'm not moving forward. He did however make a statement about mods cussing and so forth that I wanted to clear up from my end. I have mentioned to not only IceCreamKid but another member of this forum that all the f-bombs and calling people idiots, etc. from anyone was just too much for me. Why? Because I work very hard at protecting my energy. It doesn't make me feel good. I wouldn't go to a bar and hang out with people who talked like that and I make no apologies for it.

Part of my journey is just to try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. I also like to see others treated the way I would like to be treated and the way I try to treat them. Do I hit the mark always no, but I work at it daily. BUT people have the right to be, do and say whatever they want to and I have a right to be around it or not. When this all happened there was a ton of drama and gossip going on around one of the members and with where I was with my own product and conflicts, my move here to AZ, missing my family, etc. I just chose to reduce my time here temporally (as conveyed to MJ).

I'm familiar with the degree to which people helped, you, encouraged you, and guided you. I think they're entitled to a bit more respect and benefit of the doubt than this.

You've now dressed down the "mods" as if there aren't people behind the screen names. People with hundreds (thousands?) of hours dedicated to helping people. Some of the very people that helped you on the steps of your journey. Me included. Allen included. MJ included. I'm not sure who called you (or anyone) an idiot. I make no apologies for expressive language. It sure didn't keep you from asking for advice from the same people you now have to clear the negative karma from.

We're the people that are now the subject of this verbal dress down. I was surprised when it came from ICK. I doubted it came from you. You've now confirmed it did. Positive energy repaid with negative energy.

You won't have to worry about your perception of my negativity any more, nor will Ice Cream Kid. I accept his point, and yours, and will stay out of your energy aura.

Good luck to you. I hope life brings you what you are looking for. I need to move on to more positive energy. What comes around goes around. In my life, I strive to repay kindness with kindness and respect.

Last edited:

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013
Wow…I don't see how my words came to all of this…but again you are entitled to your thoughts, words and actions. My intent was NOT to offend - just speak my truth which in my view is not negative. I don't like cussing from anyone (and I didn't mention you by name - there are mods-plural and members)- what's wrong with that - it is my choice. Did you read below that - that I have gratitude for you and all that you and others have done. Did you read that I had a lot going on and choose to reduce the drama of all that was going on? Did the rest of the post mean anything? ***sigh***

Your perceptions are your own sir. I meant you no ill will. My apologies if that is how you took it….Wow

Last edited:

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
There is some confusion that needs to be cleared up here. First, I owe an apology to bensonj because it was unfair of me to speak on her behalf. I’m not sure what I was thinking at the time, but I should have left it to her to respond to all of the inquiries wondering what happened to her. Again, I apologize for that. My fault.

Second, she NEVER told me that Vig(or anyone else specifically) was the sole reason why she left or took a break from the forum. She was certainly not aiming any targets directly at Vig.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Thanks so much for the update @bensonj !

I do appreciate you taking the time out to update all of us. It sounds like you have a ton going on right now!

I will let you carry on with your business, but do hope we can catch up on Skype sometime after Christmas. I am sure you will have a LOT of celebrating to do with the holiday season peaking a lot of retail product sales. :)

BTW, make sure to run a Black Friday/Cyber Monday offer to your list. This is a CRUCIAL day for upping retail sales. As I have told people in the past, my Cyber Monday sale last year generated a whole month's avg. sale revenue in a single day.

And, of course, do let me know if there is any other way I can help you out. If you update this thread or we follow up on Skype, I am sure there will be a way that presents itself.

@Vig, I am not sure it's a personal thing. I am pretty sure no one was mentioned by name. I have had a similar feeling of this (and I am sure I am actually part of the problem, honestly).

For example, posts like this one are oozing with negativity: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...m-going-to-make-1-000-000-in-12-months.56348/

I love this forum. I am on here a lot, but I do find myself having to tune out negativity quite a bit. In the above posted thread, for example, this guy just set himself a goal - he is trying to find the way to achieve it, and the first 2 pages just SLAM him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.