The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Information on selling AD space on a website

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
I am wondering if anybody on here has experience selling their ad space on a website. I have a niche site I have come up with and am looking to sell advertisement space on it, but have a few questions. I heard paypal has a monthly billing feature I could use to bill my customers for their monthly ads, is there a better service to use for billing? Also, from what I have read, it is considered spam if I send companies an e-mail promoting and explaining my advertising opportunity... is it really spam? Any tips or advice on this topic would be awesome... thanks everybody!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phil

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 13, 2008
U.K
Hi, I was having the same issue you're having.
I set up a blog - NewnewHype.com with the intention of earning revenue through selling ad space to businesses. I also wanted to add value over and above the ad space by giving businesses the option to become contributing writers on the blog and keep my readers up to date on their news/products. As well as giving them permanent links in the links section, filming video profiles on their businesses and sharing the videos on all the social networks.
Is this something you could implement on your site?

I found that most people won't play ball until I got around 50,000 unique hits per month. This was just my experience.
Which left me in an awkward situation as I was providing daily content, getting a modest amount of traffic but not making any money. I did some research and looked at affiliate marketing. This is where you post banner ads on your site which promote other businesses and when the banners are clicked through and the user proceeds to purchase you will receive a percentage of the final value of the sale in commission.
Have a look at sites like affiliatewindow.com or tradedoubler.com You'll find a lot more help there.

As for the paypal thing - I believe you can get a paypal recurring system which debits money from customers on a monthly basis.

Hope that helps

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
so did you end up getting purchasers for you ad space for sale? or did you just go the affiliate route? how has it worked out for you?

Phil

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 13, 2008
U.K
I've gone the affiliate route for now. It's probably the best strategy till the site becomes more established - then I will look at paid for space.

I have had a few click through's but no one's made any purchases yet, so I haven't received any commission so far.

There are a few reasons for this:

The banners have only been live for about 2 weeks.

The banners are not a 100% exact match to my blog's niche

I haven't dedicated any blog posts to further promote the banners. i.e by posting up news, new products or discount codes.

These are all easy fixes

Hope that helps

andy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 28, 2010
UK
Never actually sold ad space on my own sites but have purchased some before.

One thing to make sure you are doing is keeping on top of the stats, the analytics, as anyone who comes to buy one of your slots is going to want to know a few things such as monthly uniques and in alot of cases, demographics of visitors, i.e. 50% male 50% female, average age of visitors etc.

As Phil has stated the affiliate route can be a great way to go when kicking it off, or just look at chucking out some cheap deals for a few clients, let them test your traffic for a small amount and if they like, they will be back with a larger order.

Take a look at oiopublisher with regards to an ad management software that may make billing a little easier, from what I've heard it is a cracking piece of software.

deepman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jun 2, 2010
I have a blog and I want to sell those 125x125 ad spaces, what would be the best way to find advertisers?

TheRiskTaken

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 24, 2010
I am wondering if anybody on here has experience selling their ad space on a website. I have a niche site I have come up with and am looking to sell advertisement space on it, but have a few questions. I heard paypal has a monthly billing feature I could use to bill my customers for their monthly ads, is there a better service to use for billing? Also, from what I have read, it is considered spam if I send companies an e-mail promoting and explaining my advertising opportunity... is it really spam? Any tips or advice on this topic would be awesome... thanks everybody!

By definition, any unsolicted email from an unknown source is considered spam. Can-spam act can and does bill heavily if you're caught doing this on a massive scale but if you hit up a few people you'd be fine. Internet marketing is what I do full time. I would recommend Vancead Network. They have hundreds of ofers you could promote on your site with pre-made banners and tracking. They can also payout right to your bank account.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.