The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pre-Selling Ad Space on a Podcast?

Marketing, social media, advertising

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hey all!

I'm looking at building a language learning podcast, in which I feature and teach a new language once every 2 weeks in a small 80-minute period.

The goal is to use this as the MVP for the highly effective foreign language courses I hope to produce.

In a fashion similar to this article, I want to pre-sell ads to cover the cost of production.

How should I structure the cold email that I send out to different companies and bloggers?

My rough draft is as follows.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Hey [blogger]!

I found your email at the footer of a few of your articles, and I had to get in touch with you.

I'm starting a new language learning podcast that I'm going to plug like crazy to forums all over the internet, and I want to give you the chance to help boost your audience with this.

Podcast ads are typically pretty expensive, but since I'm new I'll do $50 for a 30-second ad spot at the beginning of my podcast.

Let me know what you think!

Dillon"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

brickco

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 6, 2015
You will not get any response this way and no matter how good the email is, you won't get any response. Would you give $50 to someone you don't know who has no credibility? No. I wouldn't either.

You should offer it to a few people for free. And then if you show them a benefit, ask them to start paying you for advertising on future podcasts. Money in exchange for proven value.

Also, the word "few" bugs me for some reason, doesn't seem genuine, like you're trying to convince them that you've read a bunch of their articles, when in reality it's probably at the bottom of every singe page on their site.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
You will not get any response this way and no matter how good the email is, you won't get any response. Would you give $50 to someone you don't know who has no credibility? No. I wouldn't either.

You should offer it to a few people for free. And then if you show them a benefit, ask them to start paying you for advertising on future podcasts. Money in exchange for proven value.

Also, the word "few" bugs me for some reason, doesn't seem genuine, like you're trying to convince them that you've read a bunch of their articles, when in reality it's probably at the bottom of every singe page on their site.

Thanks for the feedback!

I wouldn't deem anything impossible just out of personal preference. And this process seemed to work for the person behind Gaps at the article I linked to. Worst case scenario, I lost a couple hours sending emails. :)

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
As someone who is actually looking to advertise on platforms such as podcasts, i can tell you that I wouldn't even consider this. You have no credibility yet. Like the guy above me said, you'd be better off offering free advertising for the first few shows.
You'd have to demonstrate that you have the ability to get listeners to sway someone into paying for ad time.
I paid $100 for 60 days of ad time on a podcast that generates a few thousand views per week. Why would I pay half of thatwhen theres no proof that you could even attract half the viewers?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I take you haven't started this podcast yet?

If so, no person in their right mind would give you a penny if you have 0 zero traffic.

Saying 'I am gonna plug this podcast like crazy all over the internet' doesn't add to your credibility or make me have more faith in you.

Build your podcast/platform first, then reach out to people for ad spots.

Also, have you looked at how other podcasts get advertisers? (Just a suggestion, I don't know their process)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.