The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Informal Dinner at Underdog's BBQ in Erie, PA (Undercover Billionaire's Restaurant)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Pics?! Or minimally, an analysis of the food/venue/atmosphere!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
We had a damn good time despite that the expected crew waned a bit in the final days of putting this together! Special thanks to Mr. Glenn Stearns, his Assistant Keely, and the original Underdog team for making the trip a once in a lifetime experience.

You'll have to watch the show to find out what happens, but I am more convinced than ever of the genuine intent of all involved.

The team was icing on the cake. Leadership is the skill that gets people inspired and that is what happened with Underdog. I am incredibly humbled by the hospitality of everyone involved in making this such a special dinner for everyone.

It is not luck. 20190915_190127.jpg20190915_190602.jpg20190915_185617.jpg20190915_185622.jpg20190915_185907.jpg

The food was excellent by the way.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Thanks so much for posting these!
You, this group in the photo, all look incredibly kind-hearted, or else maybe a little toasted from the drinks at the Duck, or maybe a little of both. Bountiful expressions on your faces - that might be the right word here.
Serious data request:
What did you all have to eat?
How was the kitchen tour?
What was the house beer?
How was Kak's dinner, since this whole idea was his manifestation?
Did they push desserts?
Was there live music?
Are there any surprises in the show?
Did anyone acknowledge Glenn's wife's sacrifice?
Could I trouble any one of you to send me some hot sauce please?
I would absolutely love it. I'll reimburse you and I'll throw in an original artwork, probably a freehand colored sketch of the whole gang or whatever else you post here from the trip. Please PM for postal address. Thanks!
(And why not send some hot sauce and T-shirt to MJ too! Shh...secret.)
Fantastic event.
Get home safe everbody!

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We had a damn good time despite that the expected crew waned a bit in the final days of putting this together! Special thanks to Mr. Glenn Stearns, his Assistant Keely, and the original Underdog team for making the trip a once in a lifetime experience.

You'll have to watch the show to find out what happens, but I am more convinced than ever of the genuine intent of all involved.

The team was icing on the cake. Leadership is the skill that gets people inspired and that is what happened with Underdog. I am incredibly humbled by the hospitality of everyone involved in making this such a special dinner for everyone.

It is not luck. View attachment 27424View attachment 27425View attachment 27426View attachment 27427View attachment 27428

The food was excellent by the way.

Epic. The stuff of forum legend history. Because...You...Can.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
One of the experiences I’ll regret missing for a long damn time.

Brilliant

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
@MJ DeMarco ... I'm sorry but if this isn't GOLD, I don't know what is.

First Gold thread in the meetups forum.

Btw I made it there late.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Once again, KAK does something amazing as if it was literally nothing.

Kyle, you're probably one of the best examples on the forum of someone who thinks bigger and then follows through. No pussyfooting around or debating or wondering if it will be worth it. Just "I'm doing this, who's in?" followed by "k, done, cheers".

Inspirational.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Kyle, you're probably one of the best examples on the forum of someone who thinks bigger and then follows through. No pussyfooting around or debating or wondering if it will be worth it. Just "I'm doing this, who's in?" followed by "k, done, cheers".

Inspirational.

It’s also a great example of how you can get to anybody you want to. You know how he did it? He picked up the phone.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
OMG, I'm speechless! Kick a$$!

I'm sorry but if this isn't GOLD, I don't know what is.

Agreed, alone that it happened (Erie is not exactly a "get away" destination) and the fact the some of the show's players were there, including Glenn. I'm astounded, great job @Kak ... it certainly speaks volumes about your "Kill Bigger" program to get this done.

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Yes, it was a great time. Food was awesome. And everyone on the show that was there was incredibly genuine. Dawn even setup a wine tour for us this morning and got them to open early so we could make our flights and joined us for the tour. And the owner gave us all free bottles and handled shipping to us. All made better hanging out with @Kak, @1step , @Empires, @FiftySeven and @ChrisV.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wonder how many people are banging themselves for not going who planned going, if only they just knew that Glenn and his team would be there, oops!

Any way we can get the group photo edited to show who's who from the forum?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@MJ DeMarco ... I'm sorry but if this isn't GOLD, I don't know what is.

First Gold thread in the meetups forum.

Btw I made it there late.

I have to give special notoriety to @ChrisV. He crashes his car, loses his phone, is clearly going to be late and still shows up for a few drinks. Kudos brother! It was good meeting you.

Last edited:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
What is especially obvious when you see Glenn and his team is they get along really well and all seem to really like each other. You can tell Glenn is a great leader, from how he interacts with his team and the guests at Underdog, to the culture he has built. You can read books about leadership but seeing it and experiencing it in person was worth more than any book.

The entire team was extremely welcoming of all of us and they were genuinely excited/happy to see us. They went way above and beyond for us and it was all much appreciated.

When you have a chance to meetup with people from the forum, take it! There's so many people on here doing amazing things. The conversations with @Empires @FiftySeven @ChrisV @B_Mac @Kak was no doubt just as rewarding as the dinner/meeting the team. Thanks for setting this up @Kak

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Inspirational.
It’s also a great example of how you can get to anybody you want to. You know how he did it? He picked up the phone.

And @Kak is a rock star for setting it up.

Definitely awesome shooting the shit with all you guys @Empires @FiftySeven @B_Mac @1step @Kak

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am currently traveling, but I am excited to give a write up on all of my take aways from this experience.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
The offer still stands. It's my tribute to those who showed up in Erie. Anyone who made the quest to Underdog's and wants to savor the once-in-a-lifetime memory with a strong colored sketch of the group, team, smoker, blue truck, smiling Glenn, whatever you prefer, send me the image. I'll do an original piece for you. My pleasure.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
The offer still stands. It's my tribute to those who showed up in Erie. Anyone who made the quest to Underdog's and wants to savor the once-in-a-lifetime memory with a strong colored sketch of the group, team, smoker, blue truck, smiling Glenn, whatever you prefer, send me the image. I'll do an original piece for you. My pleasure.
I would do it but I'm long gone. You can order the sauces online though:

They have a whole shop:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
I would do it but I'm long gone. You can order the sauces online though:

They have a whole shop:

Hey I think you've misunderstood this post. No bartering is involved.

This offer is prompted by gratitude.

I did ask earlier if anyone going to Underdog's would be willing to send or order some hot sauces for me. I said that I'd reimburse them and threw in the offer of sketching a group portrait for anyone taking the trouble to help. Because my illustrations are kinda valuable that was going to be a good surprise to find in the mail.

That was the request for bbq sauce.

This offer is prompted by gratitude. Solidarity.

Last edited:

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Just got home a few hours ago. Seriously amazing experience. It exceeded my expectations.

Big thanks to @Kak for putting all of this together. And @ChrisV @FiftySeven @B_Mac and @1step for making the experience worth while.

We got to see first hand the impact Glenn and the rest of the team are making with their show. People of all ages coming up to Glenn and talking to them, asking for photos. And it was nothing but gratitude from all of them. They were such genuine people. They couldn't have treated us better.

If there is one thing to take from this, it's take the leap. Make the call. There is nothing holding you back but yourself.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
If there is one thing to take from this, it's take the leap. Make the call. There is nothing holding you back but yourself.
It's so funny you wrote this, because this was the post I was literally typing out when I saw the notification:

I am currently traveling, but I am excited to give a write up on all of my take aways from this experience.
Looking forward to that. For me the big takeaway from both the show and the experience: our limitations are usually bulls---.

The first example @JAJT brought up:

Inspirational.

How many people would have just said "why bother emailing him? he's not gonna show." Well, what do you have to lose by asking? Because it turns out he flew out from Cali, just to hang with some guys from the forum.

And the lessons from the show are in the same vein. We can talk about if he had advantages all day, but the guy's drive is undeniable. He got dropped off in a unfamiliar city he's never been to, and what's he do? Scours junkyards for tires to sell. Sells dog toys. Volunteers at a soup kitchen. Sells Saint Patty's Day Gear. How many people would have said "why bother?" [insert excuse here.]

Watching Glenn work you can tell that's what separates the successful and the unsuccessful. Kicking the excuses to the curb.

The 1 million in 90 days thing is a really cool concept, but being there actually made it real. So when you're looking at all the nice, polished Discovery Channel images of the restaurant, it can make it seem larger than life. But it was actually a regular place. A family is probably now living in the house he flipped.

When you're watching shows like these documentary crews purposely make things seem larger than life. For example when filming people, cameramen usually lower the camera to make people look taller. these things have this polish that makes things seem less attainable. But actually being in Erie made it all more realistic.

But the big thing is: Shoot first, ask questions last.

@GPM & I were just talking about this in conversation.

Just shoot from the hip and clean it up later. Glenn literally just winged the whole thing. There was no master plan, and you really can't have a master plan. You just gotta do something and trust that the resources will be there when you need them and you'll be able to overcome any challanges when they come.

So I think there were a ton of lessons in everything.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
It's so funny you wrote this, because this was the post I was literally typing out when I saw the notification:

Looking forward to that. For me the big takeaway from both the show and the experience: our limitations are usually bulls---.

The first example @JAJT brought up:

How many people would have just said "why bother emailing him? he's not gonna show." Well, what do you have to lose by asking? Because it turns out he flew out from Cali, just to hang with some guys from the forum.

And the lessons from the show are in the same vein. We can talk about if he had advantages all day, but the guy's drive is undeniable. He got dropped off in a unfamiliar city he's never been to, and what's he do? Scours junkyards for tires to sell. Sells dog toys. Volunteers at a soup kitchen. Sells Saint Patty's Day Gear. How many people would have said "why bother?" [insert excuse here.]

Watching Glenn work you can tell that's what separates the successful and the unsuccessful. Kicking the excuses to the curb.

The 1 million in 90 days thing is a really cool concept, but being there actually made it real. So when you're looking at all the nice, polished Discovery Channel images of the restaurant, it can make it seem larger than life. But it was actually a regular place. A family is probably now living in the house he flipped.

When you're watching shows like these documentary crews purposely make things seem larger than life. For example when filming people, cameramen usually lower the camera to make people look taller. these things have this polish that makes things seem less attainable. But actually being in Erie made it all more realistic.

But the big thing is: Shoot first, ask questions last.

@GPM & I were just talking about this in conversation.

Just shoot from the hip and clean it up later. Glenn literally just winged the whole thing. There was no master plan, and you really can't have a master plan. You just gotta do something and trust that the resources will be there when you need them and you'll be able to overcome any challanges when they come.

So I think there were a ton of lessons in everything.

So @ChrisV if it's time for you to shoot from tne hip, what big outrageous action are you taking on?

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Oh no, my private conversations have been aired!

Absolutely. Just do something. Literally anything. By just thinking about it, or coming up with BS excuses you have a 100% failure rate. I will take my chances with trying something. What is the worst that could happen? The worst is that someone says no. Or hangs up, or doesn't answer the phone. I know it sucks, but whatever. You will get over it. You will live.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
So the strategy to reach your goal, taking the Underdog approach, is that you don't need a master plan, but you only need to keep on going. You have to stop counting the number of times you'll get a no for an answer, or even bait and switch answers, or dropped deals, or even get no answers at all. You just have to endure that. Those experiences will happen and they might get you down, but the only thing that matters is that you get back up again and keep on moving.

Glenn leads by inspiring passion but you know what else makes him a great leader, fellow Fastlanicians? Glenn leads with trust. I see that this is one of the strongest cards you can have. Don't get in between your employees or associates and their work.Don't stand in their light. Trust means he won't buckle under stress.

He emphasizes the importance of surrounding yourself with more informed, experienced, and qualified people than you.

All good lessons.

So stay on budget no matter what it takes.
Don't worry about the naysayers. Find allies. Answer a need.
Make bold, outrageous moves.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So @ChrisV if it's time for you to shoot from tne hip, what big outrageous action are you taking on?
;)

So the strategy to reach your goal, taking the Underdog approach, is that you don't need a master plan, but you only need to keep on going.
Yep. It's like driving from New York to California. Except in entrepreneurship, there's no GPS. So, you just gotta keep moving west, make a few wrong turns, ask for directions and eventually you'll get there.

Edit: Or driving from New York to Erie without a phone :rofl:

He emphasizes the importance of surrounding yourself with more informed, experienced, and qualified people than you.
That's another big thing. A lot of these guys like Elon Musk... sure Musk is smart, but he's definitely not the smartest guy in the world. He knows how to find smart people. I think that one major advantage humans have over other mammals is our ability to collaborate. Collaboration is literally built into our nervous system more than other primates and look at the amazing world humans have built.

Networking is huge. Notice how excited he got when he met RJ because he 'met his first real connect.' The restaurant he built was the result of many smart and talented people. RJ's branding. Dawn's knack for design. He would have never been able to do that on his own.

But we should probably start a "Lessons" thread. I'll wait for Kak to do it.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Absolutely. Just do something. Literally anything. By just thinking about it, or coming up with BS excuses you have a 100% failure rate. I will take my chances with trying something. What is the worst that could happen? The worst is that someone says no. Or hangs up, or doesn't answer the phone. I know it sucks, but whatever. You will get over it. You will live.

This is why this show has so many "haters" (from the American Dream perspective, not my reality TV take) who hold on to a certain political philosophy that the American Dream is dead and that you cannot bootstrap yourself out of poverty. It violates their firmly held politics, exposes their excuses, and calls them to the carpet for their laziness and lack of initiative.

Unfortunately I doubt this show will change their minds ... oh well, they can always vote for Bernie or Yang.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Wow... What can I say about this weekend? There is just so much I have reflected on. I have several takeaways...

So, I know a lot of you already know I have a hell of a network. I have met several billionaires before. I talk to people on a daily basis that have 8 and 9 figure net worth. For me this was a given, but I think those that haven't been exposed to folks that operate at a VERY HIGH levels might get something out of what I am about to say. Glenn confirmed it yet again. 100% of these bad a$$ business guys are 100% human. They don't have special powers, they don't have special physical attributes like a professional athlete, they aren't brainiac geniuses like Einstein... The difference goes back to THINKING BIGGER.

From my observations and discussions with him, Glenn seems to think through the in's, out's and operations like any well versed business guy... On the other hand, Glenn plays business like a billionaire... It is a CHOICE to work on things that have massive potential. He discussed his new company that he is starting, guess what? It has that same type of massive potential that got him here in the first place. Are you surprised? I'm not.

I don't know if the other attendees caught it, but when he mentioned the organization he is a member of, YPO, and said it requires 50m in revenue like it was nothing. As if we all should be able to join. That is thinking big.

Likewise @B_Mac and I have taken some conference calls together in the incubator program. The goal of these calls? To acquire a company or two that can complement his offering. The funny thing is that TWICE we have ended up on the phone with a CEO that is looking for $50m plus. A little out of the range of what we are looking for. The common discussion afterwards though? That guy was just like us.

This is not to say Glenn is just like us, because he isn't. He not only thought bigger, but he followed through bigger and he is going to do it again. The very foundation of bigger acting, is bigger thinking.

NEXT TAKE AWAY

I was asked several times how in the world I was able to pull this off... OR variants of the question... The following is the exact email I used to initiate communications misspelled first name and ALL... Like an idiot.

Hello Glen,

My name is (FULL NAME) and I represent a group of guys in an entrepreneur forum that love The Undercover Billionaire. We have decided to fly in from all over the country to have dinner at Underdog on September 14th just for fun among like minded friends.

I want to extend an invitation to you. I know it is bold to ask, but you strike me as the kind of guy that would try to make it.

Anyway, we have zero agenda and nothing to sell, just interested in eating good food and talking good business.

Are you in?

Thanks so much Glen and congrats on the show!

This was the ember that lit the fire though. After a half-dozen phone/email interactions with Keely, Glenn's assistant, we set it up for the 15th instead of the 14th. THAT'S IT!

So my response to the people who asked... My phone was responsible. Ladies and gentlemen, you carry a black rectangle in your pocket that literally connects to every other black rectangle on the entire planet. UP YOUR GAME and start really getting the most out of your phone and service.

This is why I have absolutely zero cognitive dissonance when I buy the best new phone every time one comes out. I have completely unlimited service plan. I STILL don't believe I get enough out of it. John D. Rockefeller had to send letters and frickin telegrams. Imagine what he could have done with a black rectangle.

NEXT TAKE AWAY

When Glenn arrived in Erie, on the show... I know one of the first things everyone noticed he said was "what does this town need?" well pretty soon thereafter he made it a point to MEET PEOPLE. His plan for a million dollar business was not to acquire a laptop by any means necessary and then copywriting his way to a million. He didn't plan to make websites for people. He didn't plan to onepreneur an ecommerce company on Amazon. He didn't plan to hole up and do anything remotely like that.

I asked the team what it was about Glenn that they wanted to get involved with... It was UNANIMOUS and among all of them individually... He inspired them. Contrary to popular belief, it wasn't the camera crew. They had ZERO clue the entire time that this was for The Discovery Channel, they figured it was going to go on someone's YouTube channel or be some one off low budget documentary. Dawn said she was still super curious and googled all kinds of Glenn stuff, but was unable to find anything on him during the show.

He inspired them. What does that sound like? Leadership. You can solve any problem in business with proper leadership. I always harp on this too... Leadership is NOT management. It is not being a boss and telling people what to do. It is rallying people to your cause. It is creating irresistible influence. You lead customers, you lead investors, you lead team members.

THE FINAL TAKE AWAY

EVERYONE had a TON of pride for Erie, PA. The city was filled with some of the nicest people I have met in my life. They welcomed us with open arms and embraced us almost like VIP guests. I am incredibly humbled by that. Dawn, for instance, made sure we had something fun to do before our flights yesterday so she pulled some strings so we could tour a winery before they would otherwise open and joined us on the tour. So unbelievably cool.

The funny thing... I went into this thinking NOTHING of the town of Erie. I was totally wrong. I left thinking I would absolutely LOVE to go back with some more time on my hands. I will visit again with my wife. Erie is a really special place that is home to people that I now consider friends.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.