The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Incubators - is the % worth giving up?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Nic S.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Nov 13, 2015
Salt Lake City, UT
I am applying for incubators to get help in developing my product and growing my business. Is this the right way to go? Most of these incubators take between 2-10% and will invest in the company between 20-120k. In my mind I think is worth since I will be getting help in growing a company but also networking with potential partners and investors.
Anyone has experience in this area that would like to share?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Yes it's worth it, as long as you will work the resources they give you.

Think about it, they are giving you money in exchange for something that is essentially worth nothing in hopes that one day it will be worth something. You are also getting guidance and introductions along with a 'certificate of trust' by just being in the incubator.

Now you could work on building all this yourself and if you believe you can get to it! But the resources, time, guidance, network, and money they are giving you for your (presently) worthless % can save you an enormous amount of time and stress. With time being a limited resource I would say the exchange is more than fair in your favor.

Good luck!

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Generally speaking, yes.

It depends a lot on the incubator though. Ask some graduates about their experience in the incubator you're willing to join.

An incubator is only a tool. They give you great networking possibilities, effective frameworks and good guidance. It's you who has to use them though.

oldkevx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Nov 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I'm at partner at BetaBlox, a KC incubator. We are on our 13th batch and have over 90 companies we have helped since 2009. We take 5% equity in exchange for a 6 month path of support, lectures, speakers, consultations, demo day and technology. No cash award.

KC is a unique city with no egos, a helpful community and a growing ecosystem. Today over 80% of our companies are still in business. I believe the value exchange is huge for both parties. We take in companies that we know will never have a liquidity event because we believe in the entrepreneur(s), their ability to execute and our city. We have a band as one of our companies. Bands don't sell, they break up.

Look at the companies that have gone through an incubator, talk to the founders about their experience and go with what is best for you and your company.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted35442

I am applying for incubators to get help in developing my product and growing my business. Is this the right way to go? Most of these incubators take between 2-10% and will invest in the company between 20-120k. In my mind I think is worth since I will be getting help in growing a company but also networking with potential partners and investors.
Anyone has experience in this area that would like to share?
I almost went this route and glad I didn't. Accelerators Are Useless. I don't care what anyone else says. "lectures, speakers, consultations, demo day" in this forum you get the first three of those already. "Demo Day" is just fluff talk for getting a room of investors in a room to listen to you when you can do this easily on your own. Just get a free ticket to NY Tech Day, it's in April 2016 and free to go, there are investors there. If a VC likes you enough, they'll help you lead an entire series round rather than pitch to bunch of angels in these "demo days." 5-10% is saying your company is worth $1mm - $2mm at most (5-10% for 120k is Y Combinator, most go for less). Seriously, your can go to angel.co and find your own "angels" and get your own private pre-seed round if it's that good for likely more money. The only reason people give a F*ck about Y Comb is they think there's some prestige going through an incubator with "umm" Paul Graham.

We have a program here in NYC that I've been fortunate enough to meet some people involved with it known as Founder's House. Subsidized housing living as an 'entrepreneur in residence' essentially. Do what you want in the end, but if I'm working on a startup that I know can scale and go IPO/multimillion/multibillion $$$ exit, I wouldn't give away equity for chump change.

If you or anyone else here wants to go to Tech Crunch for free in NYC, see: https://techdayhq.com/events/ny-techday-2016/attendees/start
If you want to crowdfund your own seed round online: https://www.seedequity.com/
If you want an easy-to-find list of investors: https://angel.co/people/investors
Or hell, take up @Perry Rico with his $700 startup proposal (negotiate a fair exchange of equity for an MVP): https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/700-startup
Lastly, you can always go for something like this, like Perry's, they fund you and WORK for you: http://coventure.vc/

For all considering an "accelerator" or an "incubator" I say F*ck that. Don't be lazy. You can do this yourself.

oldkevx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Nov 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
@Cyriex just outlined the difference between KC and NYC. Do what is best for you and your company. Only you can make that decision. Make your own luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.