The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI

How many times have you taken action, regardless of fear, anxiety, depression, etc. and it turned out to be the best for you?

What have you taken action on?

What have you not taken action on?

Hope you enjoy the video. Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dr_Kdub28

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Feb 16, 2022
East coast, United States

How many times have you taken action, regardless of fear, anxiety, depression, etc. and it turned out to be the best for you?

Great video. It really resonated with me. One thing to note about taking action, is that the action should have a purpose. I cant count how many things I've done to make it look like I'm takin action. It's action disguised as inaction.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good video, very well done. Addresses discomfort and fear more so as the impetus for inaction. @MTF and @Antifragile will approve.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Liked the post while I’m getting ready to head out for a run in the rain. Action. Choose your pain!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Liked the post while I’m getting ready to head out for a run in the rain. Action. Choose your pain!
How goggins of you!

Goggins cracks me up so hard. He’s awesome.

“I hope it rains harder. I hope my shoes break. I hope I get hit by a car.”

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Good video, very well done. Addresses discomfort and fear more so as the impetus for inaction. @MTF and @Antifragile will approve.

That was a really solid video.

On the topic - I was feeling worse today (and the last few days as well, with ups and downs). I just got back from my MMA workout and already feel better after pushing myself to the limits yet again.

No matter how shitty I feel, I never skip workouts. Why? Because when I feel deeply uncomfortable, I feel something.

That something is a tiny little flicker than can turn into a fire and clear out the dark thoughts.

If you choose inaction, you're left with nothing. And you can't make anything out of nothing.

I'll choose discomfort over nothing all day long.

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
That was a really solid video.

On the topic - I was feeling worse today (and the last few days as well, with ups and downs). I just got back from my MMA workout and already feel better after pushing myself to the limits yet again.

No matter how shitty I feel, I never skip workouts. Why? Because when I feel deeply uncomfortable, I feel something.

That something is a tiny little flicker than can turn into a fire and clear out the dark thoughts.

If you choose inaction, you're left with nothing. And you can't make anything out of nothing.

I'll choose discomfort over nothing all day long.
As James Clear has said, “The antidote to a bad day is a good workout.”

I never regret a workout. It always sparks me to do more.

What style of MMA do you do?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
I started two months ago so just learning the fundamentals of striking for now.
That's awesome man! What's your goal with learning MMA? Are you going to specialize in an area (jiu-jitsu, taekwondo, kickboxing, etc.) or just do it for fun?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
That's awesome man! What's your goal with learning MMA? Are you going to specialize in an area (jiu-jitsu, taekwondo, kickboxing, etc.) or just do it for fun?

The primary reasons for me are fitness and mental health benefits. I like striking but I haven't tried grappling yet so I can't tell if that's something I'll enjoy doing as much.

Do you also practice MMA?

By the way, I think it would be better to move this conversation to this thread:

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
Ooo this is a great video! Definitely adding to my whole "motivational" playlist when reminders to keep going and to take chances are needed.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

How do you have the time to take no action? I run out of day way before I run out of things to do.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
That's wild man!!

What does your typical schedule look like?!
I'm running a couple of businesses and starting another. And I am supposed to be retired. I don't have to work anymore, but sitting around is SO boring. I still average about 60 hours per week. A lot of my spare time these days is spent helping other people in my community. But, I've been doing that kind of work for the last 30+years. I have been able to morph a lot of my business life into activities that help others. I'm providing the only group of low to moderate-income housing in my community along with the only self-service Laundromat. They are each a self-sustaining productocracy. And then I spend some of my time creating passive income streams. I'm a VERY busy girl -- excuse me, old retired lady!

NikNye

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 21, 2021
Spearfish, SD
Thanks for sharing this. It really gets the fire going to get up, take action, and make the changes I'd like to see in life.

kk.darko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Feb 11, 2022

Hope you enjoy the video. Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas
Posts like this are why I am happy to be part of this community. The insidiousness of inaction can truly be something else.

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019

Thanks for the video, one of the best I've ever seen on this subject. Delivers the message quickly but powerfully!

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
It's basically one of my favorite Keirkegaard quotes morphed into a video.

quote-to-dare-is-to-lose-one-s-footing-momentarily-not-to-dare-is-to-lose-oneself-soren-kierke...jpg

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Another thought on this thread. Sometimes there are good reasons to take no action. Some problems are "self-correcting" situations. Making that call takes a touch of wisdom and experience. There are problems that will work themselves out IF you can keep your hands off of them. Other problems need immediate action and attention. When you confront a problem, take a moment to think about which path leads to the best solution -- or it is really a problem that needs to be solved????

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I agree with it, facing all your fears, anxiety, and the unknown is where you become your best self. It's where you grow, mature, and find out the truth about your skills, talents, and how you can do just about anything you put your mind too.

Dionysos

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 1, 2020
Netherlands
Great video really. Thanks for sharing it!

It really resonates with me. I can be a real productive person but used be a real lazy person. Watching life go by doing nothing productive..

I've got to remind myself to always be making moves. For me good habits are gold, one good leads to another good, like a snowball effect.

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Another thought on this thread. Sometimes there are good reasons to take no action. Some problems are "self-correcting" situations. Making that call takes a touch of wisdom and experience. There are problems that will work themselves out IF you can keep your hands off of them. Other problems need immediate action and attention. When you confront a problem, take a moment to think about which path leads to the best solution -- or it is really a problem that needs to be solved????
100%

Law 35 of the Laws of Power is to master the art of timing.

There are three types of time: Long Time, Forced Time, and End Time.

Long Time
is more what you are discussing. It is the longer-term, years of time that we must be patient with it. Like investing in real estate for long-term wealth creation.

Forced Time is one that we can use to take "offensive" against our opponents and we can manipulate. In business this would be like putting an "ONLY 5 LEFT" or "25% OFF TODAY ONLY!" or when we are negotiating we can press a deadline on people to move things along and make them rush a decision.

End Time is what this video is all about. It is the time we took plotting and planning (could be a few days, months, or even hours) and we then execute with boldness and clarity. This is comparable to clicking the "Post Ad" button or walking up to the girl to talk with her. Or sending an offer in for a real estate deal. This is where we really go all in.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
100%

Law 35 of the Laws of Power is to master the art of timing.

There are three types of time: Long Time, Forced Time, and End Time.

Long Time
is more what you are discussing. It is the longer-term, years of time that we must be patient with it. Like investing in real estate for long-term wealth creation.

Forced Time is one that we can use to take "offensive" against our opponents and we can manipulate. In business this would be like putting an "ONLY 5 LEFT" or "25% OFF TODAY ONLY!" or when we are negotiating we can press a deadline on people to move things along and make them rush a decision.

End Time is what this video is all about. It is the time we took plotting and planning (could be a few days, months, or even hours) and we then execute with boldness and clarity. This is comparable to clicking the "Post Ad" button or walking up to the girl to talk with her. Or sending an offer in for a real estate deal. This is where we really go all in.
I agree. Sometimes these self-correcting problems are long-term.

Other times, it's a matter of not having a knee-jerk reaction to a situation.

I have a young tenant who was in a fight with her family. They are usually close. I told her to just wait and let things die down before she does anything. Sure enough. It's blowing over and the emotions are dying down. Some things just need to be left alone for a while to let them evaporate on their own.

Here's another example. I find that people just run out to do SOMETHING before they even define the problem and look at their options. They are all excited and emotional about the situation. They can't just rest in the moment while they figure out a range of solutions. Or if it really needs to be fixed or solved.

Notice that both of these examples have to do with people getting all emotional, which leads them to act without thinking through the situation in front of them. Sometimes it's better to just sit back and let nature take its course. It sure a burden off one's shoulders to NOT have to run out and solve everything!

forester

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2014
Excellent video. Thanks for posting. This past year..winter in particular..Ive ridden the wave of momentum built up by years of very hard work. Ive not lived up to my fullest potential and although focused on the core activities required for my mini empire to function effectively..let too many loose ends blow in the wind. Have to tighten up my game. This video is a good reminder

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina

Great video. Loved the beginning. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve done that. I’ve taken action personally in health and fitness, my social skills, and my bank account. I haven’t taken action on entrepreneurship (until recently), some important relationships, and quitting the 9-5 for good.

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019

I have a young tenant who was in a fight with her family. They are usually close. I told her to just wait and let things die down before she does anything. Sure enough. It's blowing over and the emotions are dying down. Some things just need to be left alone for a while to let them evaporate on their own.

Here's another example. I find that people just run out to do SOMETHING before they even define the problem and look at their options. They are all excited and emotional about the situation. They can't just rest in the moment while they figure out a range of solutions. Or if it really needs to be fixed or solved.

Notice that both of these examples have to do with people getting all emotional, which leads them to act without thinking through the situation in front of them. Sometimes it's better to just sit back and let nature take its course. It sure a burden off one's shoulders to NOT have to run out and solve everything!
Definitely, and going with your second example.

It can be compared to mental masturbation. Yes great, you got all excited from a book or video, but can you see that excitement and direct it towards something true and lasting?

I used to be in that position, but now I see that excitement is equal to

Absolutely, and touching on your second example.

This can be compared to the excitement people feel from mental masturbation from a book or video.

Excitement, boredom or complacency are both equal regarding action.

To be able to see where the excitement is coming from and to realize it is just another passing feeling can be very powerful because then you do not start down a path you would never finish.

As I have plenty of times with business ideas, girls, gym routines or diets.

The excitement is dangerous because it takes away your clarity of judgement.

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Excellent video. Thanks for posting. This past year..winter in particular..Ive ridden the wave of momentum built up by years of very hard work. Ive not lived up to my fullest potential and although focused on the core activities required for my mini empire to function effectively..let too many loose ends blow in the wind. Have to tighten up my game. This video is a good reminder
As long as your realize that success that lasts takes time, effort, patience, and hard work,

You’re going to be just fine

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.