The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm 31 years old with $5 in my account

A post of a ranting nature...

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Hey everyone,

This is a bit of a rant thread, a bit of a help me out thread at the same time. - I'm 31 years old and have $5 in my account and have bills and rent to pay and living off of unemployment since I lost my slow lane job a month ago.

I'm a website developer by trade, but I also know marketing, SEO..etc - I also own a website development company with one client, and I also own a blog (attractsingles.com) (I was a dating coach also). I'm a crossroad on what to do with my life. I'm sick of this same pattern over and over again with being broke and having no money. It's pathetic.

Something has to change. As much as I love website development after 6 years im getting sick of it, which I why I started up my blog and now focusing more on digital courses / eBooks. But I feel that is very 2008. Also, I need more excitement in my life (Something new).

My goals:
1. Make money online
2. Use that money to invest in rental properties

I know none of you can direct my path for me, that has to be done on my own but some direction in certain ways would be great.

Chris

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I know there's a lot of hate for social media agencies but people are in need of them. Would you be willing to start one? Maybe with a partner?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
When I was 29 I had a talk with myself. I told myself I was either going to own a business by the time I was 30 or else I was going to move to the beach and be a bum. So, I sat down and made a plan and started it the next day. It wasn't exactly fast lane but back then I didn't know what fast lane was and I didn't have internet.... although, that was when people were just starting to get computers and AOL was charging by the hour. Luckily, it worked out for me better than I could have ever dreamed at the time.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
How did you end up with only $5? We’re you not making any money or were you spending too much?

I was living paycheck to paycheck with this apartment and food, and gas..etc once I lost my job I used the last $1000 I had for rent, now im living off of unemployment to pay rent and food.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
I assume that your job was a web developer and that it didn’t pay much?

You have to get another job right away. Then lower your expenses. Then you can work on your business.

It paid just enough at $45,000 a year to support my self. And yup, that's my exact plan, been looking for another job since I lost that last job.

andrewbaltimore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Feb 19, 2016
How are you monetizing the blog? Why don't you focus on getting more traffic and go with dating affiliates/sell your own stuff there

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
How are you monetizing the blog? Why don't you focus on getting more traffic and go with dating affiliates/sell your own stuff there

That's exactly what im doing, im staying away from affiliates but I plan on selling courses, eBooks, and coaching calls for clients.

andrewbaltimore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Feb 19, 2016
That's exactly what im doing, im staying away from affiliates but I plan on selling courses, eBooks, and coaching calls for clients.

Well sounds good then, you already have a plan. As biophase suggested first things first, find a job asap to cover expenses and work on the new business

andrewbaltimore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Feb 19, 2016
Just one thing. I've checked the blog and I see on the cover that you try to position yourself as different being brutally honest. No BS, like others on Instagram or Facebook. I like that. You are defending a unique value proposition.
However when I checked your blog posts, I cannot find what I was promised. For example I've checked How to get a girlfriend post and you are saying what everyone else is saying... Nothing more, nothing less.
Bring more punch there and you'll catch more attention being unique

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
It paid just enough at $45,000 a year to support my self.

I used Numbeo to calculate the cost of living in New York. $45,000 a year, that means you have $3750 a month.

My calculations for a single person living relatively frugally were slightly less than $3200. That's if rent is $1900. But you mentioned you used your last $1000 for your rent, so you're probably paying less than that.

Something tells me you're spending too much money.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why do you need more excitement and something new?

Why not just get some web development or digital marketing clients and get your head above water? Or get another job in that field.

Build a business around a skillset that has been paying you, and then slowly move from services to products?

Have you made much money blogging or coaching before? Was most of your income from your web dev / digital marketing job? If the bulk of your revenue came from web dev and digital marketing then my suggestion is to focus on that and get some income - quickly. (Hint: nothing wrong with getting a job.)

Later on you can try to move from providing a service, to a productised service, to a platform / product. Or try side projects.

Most importantly... figure out why you need excitement or something new. And why you’re ranting.

Seems the root cause of your current problems could be your Why.

As the man said, “This isn’t a maths problem.”

Further reading if you’re so inclined:

Find thread “Services vs Products”. I linked to some good podcasts in there.

@UnrealCreative has a productised services thread too, and there’s a few others.

Listen to “Who have you helped?”, and the second radio interview in my signature.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
It paid just enough at $45,000 a year to support my self. And yup, that's my exact plan, been looking for another job since I lost that last job.

I live alone with no dependents in a small apartment and my living expenses are less than $20,000 a year - that was including paying off a debt at $500 a month. You may want to take a closer look at your expenses, they can probably be significantly reduced.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

If it "paid just enough to support yourself", you probably suck with finances because that means you have zero savings. Making more money will make you spend more.

Dennis Kaiyer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Mar 3, 2019
If you understand the industry and feel it's too oversaturated right now then maybe focus on providing to others in the industry? A recruitment service, marketplace or product that helps boost other peoples business? Just an idea.

Last edited:

Bryaninbangkok

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 4, 2018
Bangkok
I see you have been collecting email addresses on your website for announcements of future courses, can't you knock up a course within a few weeks and hammer out some emails offering a cheaper early bird price?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If you understand the industry and feel it's too oversaturated right now then maybe focus on providing to others in the industry? A recruitment service, marketplace or product that helps boost other peoples business? Just an idea.
The IT field is far from oversaturated. Even with the booming popularity of computer science, there are not enough good programmers and the demand is growing every day.

If you're a good programmer, you should not be without work unless there's something else he's not mentioning.

I remember the first time I ever posted an ad on CL for programming, I got a call within 20 minutes. Dude picked up the phone and was ready to hand me $2000.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I used Numbeo to calculate the cost of living in New York. $45,000 a year, that means you have $3750 a month.

My calculations for a single person living relatively frugally were slightly less than $3200. That's if rent is $1900. But you mentioned you used your last $1000 for your rent, so you're probably paying less than that.

Something tells me you're spending too much money.

Actually $45k a year, after taxes comes out to $2800 a month. $1000 for rent (seems cheap for NY), and $1800 for living expenses. It's not that much. I can see where it is hard to save. So if you know this already then your plan is get a job so that you can live. Start a side gig to crawl out of the slow lane. An extra $500-$1000 a month would be huge for you.

How come you only had $1000 saved up when you lost your job. You stated that you had a paying client for web development and some other blog/website?

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
It paid just enough at $45,000 a year to support my self.

Everyone else here is saying it, and I'll say it too. $45k is more than enough to live on while putting some away, if you drastically reduce your expenses. I made less than $25k for several years as a grad student and still managed to save some. I lived with roommates, which wasn't ideal but was a necessary sacrifice.

In your situation, that $45k is in the past and you're asking what action to take right now with $0 in your bank account. Honestly you should probably get any job, even if it's slow lane or even grunt work. Move somewhere cheaper, slash your expenses, and start saving money. Then start a fastlane business in your spare time.

D

DeletedUser0287

Hey everyone,

This is a bit of a rant thread, a bit of a help me out thread at the same time. - I'm 31 years old and have $5 in my account and have bills and rent to pay and living off of unemployment since I lost my slow lane job a month ago.

I'm a website developer by trade, but I also know marketing, SEO..etc - I also own a website development company with one client, and I also own a blog (attractsingles.com) (I was a dating coach also). I'm a crossroad on what to do with my life. I'm sick of this same pattern over and over again with being broke and having no money. It's pathetic.

Something has to change. As much as I love website development after 6 years im getting sick of it, which I why I started up my blog and now focusing more on digital courses / eBooks. But I feel that is very 2008. Also, I need more excitement in my life (Something new).

My goals:
1. Make money online
2. Use that money to invest in rental properties

I know none of you can direct my path for me, that has to be done on my own but some direction in certain ways would be great.

Chris

I thought web developers make good money. What about all those tech companies?

If it "paid just enough to support yourself", you probably suck with finances because that means you have zero savings. Making more money will make you spend more.

“If it just pays enough to support yourself” that means there is no money to save. He needs more money. With that wage, it is all he can do, just support himself.

Easy solution get a better job and live below means and save for side hustle. Making more money does not equate to spending more

lejus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 8, 2017
UK
OK you have $5 you need to think what lead to this point and how to avoid it. You might say $45000 was enough only for bills but from my experience, it might not be a lot of money but people can live on way less and even if you make very little you should always spend less than you make, always, there is no exception from this rule. If you feel, after putting 10-40% aside as soon as money touch your account, that it is not enough money and it is too much sacrifice, well maybe it is and maybe you should feel that way and that would get you to take action about your rubbish finances? Anyway, there is no point on dwelling on that now, just as soon as you get some money, put 10-40% for the rainy day and figure out how to make more. Also research budgeting and frugality techniques, it will help you. I am 99% sure there was an issue here from you mentioning debt, if you are in debt you let compound interest work against you unless it was debt on investment which made you more than that interest was. But $500 a month doesn't sound like it.

The next thing is your rant, yes great rant, it's great to have wake up call, it is great you have some things going, it is great to have your back against the wall because you will work harder but what exactly is your action plan? Making more money and investing it in the property market is not an action it's a goal and dream and it's very vague. What things will you do for the next 16 hours today and tomorrow and the day after tomorrow to get there? What actions will you take for rest of the month? Will you take weekends off? Can you afford that? Who will you call, who will you e-mail, what action will you take? You need to get the exact plan not vague, and you need to fill your every day with action. For exampled 2 hours sending CV for jobs I want, 2 hours sending CV for jobs I don't want, 2 hours helping people get date on forums/groups (or whatever aligns with your blog, not my industry can't say what to do here but go help, someone.), 2 hours create website portfolio and look for more ppl to do websites too. Make an exact plan, execute without mercy, take 10x more action on each aspect then you took so far, you easily have 10x more time being jobless.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Sell whatever is laying around in your appartment that you don't really need, that's quick and easy money.

If you want to gather some emergency money, get your hands dirty a little bit. Offer services to people around you - car washing, house cleaning... whatever you can.

Have you went at the local McDonald's or fast food to get a temp job in the meantime ?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Seems you accidentally replied to me. My statement was that the OP seemed to believe the industry is oversaturated. Thanks for the info though. :)
I was kinda telling OP that the industry is not oversaturated using your comment. Forum posts are a strange thing :rofl:

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Thank you everyone for the responses, I know what I have to do. The thread was more of a rant than anything else. Also the industry is NOT over saturated. Especially for quality work / if you can sell well. Im just simply getting sick of coding after 6 years, that's all.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Actually $45k a year, after taxes comes out to $2800 a month. $1000 for rent (seems cheap for NY), and $1800 for living expenses. It's not that much. I can see where it is hard to save. So if you know this already then your plan is get a job so that you can live. Start a side gig to crawl out of the slow lane. An extra $500-$1000 a month would be huge for you.

How come you only had $1000 saved up when you lost your job. You stated that you had a paying client for web development and some other blog/website?

Im only charging my client $200 a month, I had 3 other clients but they switched companies. So now im only down to one client at $200 a month residual. And $1000 is cheap for NY, i got lucky with this apartment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.