The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If You Don't Have All Day, You Have All Night.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Unknown M.F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 21, 2021
I think this is important for most entrepreneurs: If you can't perform your work during the day time, that doesn't make you lazy. You still have sunset to sunrise to perform same work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
I think this is important for most entrepreneurs: If you can't perform your work during the day time, that doesn't make you lazy. You still have sunset to sunrise to perform same work.
This is looking at the problem wrong. The limit is not time. The limit is energy. Everyone has the same amount of time. But only if you have enough energy left at the end of the day can you actually use your time productively.

Just focusing on time misses the point and can cause a lot of frustration because you think you’re not doing it right.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016

Good luck keeping sane and healthy with a completely F*cked circadian rhythm and a zebra-in-a-lions-den cortisol level.

CruxisKnight

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jan 7, 2021
I think OP has a valid point. Different people are more productive at different times of the day than others. If you can achieve peak productivity in the afternoon like around 3-4pm then focus your work around that instead of fighting your natural instincts and working double time at 9am and getting half the results because you are so groggy.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is looking at the problem wrong. The limit is not time. The limit is energy. Everyone has the same amount of time. But only if you have enough energy left at the end of the day can you actually use your time productively.

Just focusing on time misses the point and can cause a lot of frustration because you think you’re not doing it right.

Who says night has to come at the end of day when energy is low? My day comes at the end of night when my energy is highest.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
This is true, and Ive done this many times.
Especially when chasing deadlines while juggling my own stuff.

There is such a thing as overworking though, burn out.
We should be mindful of that when we work at night.
Also, anything after 10-12 hours is too much and will have the opposite effect in my experience.
Rest during the day is also very important.
4 hours work, then rest, then 4 more, then rest, then 2-4 more and then rest.
If you work too much youll kill your productivity and youll progress slower in time then if you would if you rest between work hours.

Unknown M.F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 21, 2021
To put this into perspective, some folks may have their willpower during day time and they will get things done perfectly while others may have their willpower at night and still achieve same results.

Now imagine forcing me to work during day time and I don't have the willpower to do the specific work, what results will I give you? Poor results of course. But imagine you give me same work at evening/night time, the results will be excellent.

The point isn't to focus on time. But to focus on your willpower. It could come during day or night time and so, just because others are working all day non-stop and you are doing nothing doesn't make you lazy. You can still work all night nonstop as well - based on when you have the will.

Unknown M.F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 21, 2021
Good luck keeping sane and healthy with a completely f*cked circadian rhythm and a zebra-in-a-lions-den cortisol level.
When you really need to get something done and you can't in the day, I think you'll figure out a way to do the work at night time even if your "circadian rhythm and zebra-in-a-lions-den cortisol level" are completely f*cked.

If you don't figure out a way to do the work at night even though your energy levels are high, you will figure out a perfect excuse why you didn't do it in the morning.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
When you really need to get something done and you can't in the day, I think you'll figure out a way to do the work at night time even if your "circadian rhythm and zebra-in-a-lions-den cortisol level" are completely f*cked.

If you don't figure out a way to do the work at night even though your energy levels are high, you will figure out a perfect excuse why you didn't do it in the morning.

Thanks for the wisdom I guess.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
There is a book called The Power of When by Michael Breus that I liked a lot because it talks about this kind of thing. How peoples are more productive at night and how are more productive in the morning.

I always though that there are two types: owl and lark, by the author has 4 types, or chronotypes. You need to try what is the best schedule for you, if you like to work at night, go for it.

Senecal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 4, 2020
When you really need to get something done and you can't in the day, I think you'll figure out a way to do the work at night time
@Koji Completing your work at night one or two times won't be so bad. But this can start to shift your work schedule to night-time. Which would result to a "f*cked circadian rhythm and a zebra-in-a-lions-den cortisol level" as @Simon Angel mentioned.

Thoughts?
You're on-point about this though.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
SvrQCcA.gif

I don't even gots that.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
I work best 5am to 9am, but right know that part of my day belongs to my child, so I just get my work done 9-5. If I'm missing my "most productive" hours... whatever, we can't wait for perfect circumstances.

I'm too tired, I'm to hungry, I'm too full, it's too hot, it's too cold... just get it done.

I like pomodoros and FocusMate to keep me productive in the middle of the afternoon.

trylks

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 4, 2020
Europe
Do your entrepreneurial job before your "day job". Use your best energy for your side hustle, and leave your body as a carcass void of energy or thought for your presence at meetings and other brain rotting activities until the end of the work day. Then sleep early to get up early.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Good luck keeping sane and healthy with a completely f*cked circadian rhythm and a zebra-in-a-lions-den cortisol level.

People have different circadian rhythms.

I have a Lion chronotype. I wake up really early - naturally - and I get tired early as well. My attention and energy are at their peak before 12.

My best friend is the opposite, she is a Wolf. She is miserable when she wakes up early. She goes to bed late and gets up later in the morning - naturally as well.

It comes down to self-awareness. Know yourself and structure your day the best way possible for you.

And pay attention to your health. Fitness (Health) is part of the Fastlane trinity. Stop with the indiscriminate "hustle-culture", be part of the "resourceful-culture".

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I work best 5am to 9am, but right know that part of my day belongs to my child, so I just get my work done 9-5. If I'm missing my "most productive" hours... whatever, we can't wait for perfect circumstances.

I'm too tired, I'm to hungry, I'm too full, it's too hot, it's too cold... just get it done.

I like pomodoros and FocusMate to keep me productive in the middle of the afternoon.
what do you do to take a break(5-15 mins)?

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
People have different circadian rhythms.

I have a Lion chronotype. I wake up really early - naturally - and I get tired early as well. My attention and energy are at their peak before 12.

My best friend is the opposite, she is a Wolf. She is miserable when she wakes up early. She goes to bed late and gets up later in the morning - naturally as well.

It comes down to self-awareness. Know yourself and structure your day the best way possible for you.

And pay attention to your health. Fitness (Health) is part of the Fastlane trinity. Stop with the indiscriminate "hustle-culture", be part of the "resourceful-culture".
just curious what chronotype am I?

I can wake up really early, and I can go to bed really late. Not both at the same time.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
what do you do to take a break(5-15 mins)?

Meditate, Wim Hof breathing, listen to hypnosis induction, walk to the beach, play bullet chess, write.

My new office has a good spot for an ice bath, I'll probably put one in soon. I have a lot of friends with freezers setup as I've baths and it's a lot of fun.

I also just set up some gymnastics rings for doing pull ups, etc.

Last edited:

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Meditate, Wim Hof breathing, listen to hypnosis induction, walk to the beach, play bullet chess, write.

My new office has a good spot for an ice bath, I'll probably put one in soon. I have a lot of friends with freezers setup as I've baths and it's a lot of fun.

I also just set up some gymnastics rings for doing pull ups, etc.
what is hypnosis induction?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Don't have enough time to sleep? Sleep faster.

edgonic

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 30, 2021
Do your entrepreneurial job before your "day job". Use your best energy for your side hustle, and leave your body as a carcass void of energy or thought for your presence at meetings and other brain rotting activities until the end of the work day. Then sleep early to get up early.
I think that is a great point. If your real goal is to leave a job that you see as being a roadblock to your goals, why not spend your best time on the tool that is going to get you out of it? I work for myself, so I know my situation is a bit different, but I know I feel a lot better when I at least spend a bit of time on my projects before doing my consulting/freelancing work. However much you can, you should be giving your best time to yourself and your goals.

deliux

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 21, 2021
I like A. Swarzenegger quate:"Yeah sure, some people say they sleep 8 hours. For them I have only one message: Sleep faster!"

I am more productive late evening, or when it is dark, but changing this habbit.

davon

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2021
You should choose a natural daily routine, but there is a disbalance for me as I can work the whole night and then sleep by 3 pm. So I'm trying to change that habit and my body is getting trained.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
My advice for anyone considering this:

1) Try to reset your circadian rhythm. Get some sunlight first thing in the morning, put on a blue light filtering glasses in the night when it gets/a few hours before. Cut off your last meal about 2 hours minimum before bed. Do this consistently for a few weeks.
2) Try to eliminate anything you can in your daily schedule to free up time and energy. Identifying your most important goal, or 2, or 3 might help. Delegate what you can, automate what you can.
3) Watch your carb intake in relation to when you feel groggy or like you can't work. I used to drink a huge oat shake for bfast and it took me months to realize that it was making me groggy. Switched to a light protein shake instead, and I can work through my mornings easily. The only time working is hard for me is after lunch which is when we need a nap anyway (I think there's some science behind this in relation to our circadian rhythm as well.)

A disrupted circadian rhythm is the cause of lots of chronic diseases. Night work is listed as a carcinogen for the same reason, so try the above first before resorting to working nights with any degree of regularlity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.