The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If my business says "crooked" - am I?

Rpatrick

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 16, 2017
Missouri
I have over 15 years in home renovation experience and am branching out on my own. I cannot use my last name as the business name that seemingly every other contractor does because my last name is already used by a very large design build contractor in town (and across the country). I was not overly concerned about my name choice as I am a firm believer that it's not necessarily the name that will make or break the business as it is about the quality of work, how I market the company and the overall branding of the company. However, I've been hooked on the name "Crooked Nook Homes" but a few folks are convinced that using "crooked" in my company name is a death sentence and now I am having second thoughts on using that name. I attached a teaser for what the branding could look like

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Crooked Nook Main Logo.jpg
    Crooked Nook Main Logo.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 32

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have over 15 years in home renovation experience and am branching out on my own. I cannot use my last name as the business name that seemingly every other contractor does because my last name is already used by a very large design build contractor in town (and across the country). I was not overly concerned about my name choice as I am a firm believer that it's not necessarily the name that will make or break the business as it is about the quality of work, how I market the company and the overall branding of the company. However, I've been hooked on the name "Crooked Nook Homes" but a few folks are convinced that using "crooked" in my company name is a death sentence and now I am having second thoughts on using that name. I attached a teaser for what the branding could look like

Everyone interprets words differently. Personally, I find the pairing of "Crooked" and "Nook" to sound intriguing. I imagine a nice, rustic home in the woods with a creek nearby. "Crooked" evokes the outdoors for me, especially woods and creeks. But, for other people, it may evoke something else.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
However, I've been hooked on the name "Crooked Nook Homes" but a few folks are convinced that using "crooked" in my company name is a death sentence and now I am having second thoughts on using that name. I attached a teaser for what the branding could look like

I wouldn't advise it because the fact is, some people will NOT like the connotation. If anything is going to dissaude a potential customer, even if it's just a small seed, you probably shouldn't do it.

Sales is hard enough. You don't want your name to kill 5% of your buyer pool. Whatever the number, 1%, 5%, 15% -- it's too much.

(Not to mention some people have already said they didn't like it.)

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
The first thing that came to mind reading the name wasn't "getting ripped off" it was "poor build quality"

I would like my nook's to not be crooked.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I wouldn't advise it because the fact is, some people will NOT like the connotation. If anything is going to dissaude a potential customer, even if it's just a small seed, you probably shouldn't do it.

Sales is hard enough. You don't want your name to kill 5% of your buyer pool. Whatever the number, 1%, 5%, 15% -- it's too much.

(Not to mention some people have already said they didn't like it.)
Yup this. Never use negative words.

Also, drop LLC in the logo, it won't matter.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
1. I don't like the name (or branding for that matter).

I have over 15 years in home renovation experience

2. I suggest you niche down. Your "logo" says you do design, builds, and remodels. Which is it?

I have a friend who has started a successful remodel business and is doing quite well. He's one of my most creative friends. He didn't get "cute" when it came to branding - the name he chose was "His-Area Remodels." His-Area being his actual area, obviously.

The name might be boring, but people instantly know what his company does and what area he serves.

My 2 cents: you have experience in home renovation, start there, dominate that one area before you branch out to "design / new builds.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
-1 on the crooked

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Associations so far:
  1. Unethical
  2. Not straight
  3. Hillary Clinton
As MJ said, you're really limiting your buyer pool. Even 1% of people having the above association is 1% less in business. With your name, it's not like you're adding sales either. It's not like there's someone out there going "Crooked? Hell yeah, let me hire them!"

It could only be a negative. Not worth the hassle.

Rpatrick

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 16, 2017
Missouri
Fantastic feedback. Confirmation of pretty much what I already knew but needed Jimminy to confirm it. Thanks for the input. Definitely will be abandoning the name...funny since I heard the term "Crooked Hilary" again yesterday after I launched this thread and had almost immediate remorse from thinking that name.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I understand the "effect" you're trying with the name.

You can achieve the same type of branding effect using a different name, but without the negative connotations...

Again, we may never know the % that is turned off by the name. But any % is too much.

Believe me, this is a lesson I take to heart.

I've heard countless people say that they did NOT read my first book because they disliked the title. In effect, I killed a decent % of my buying pool. The decision probably cost me at least six figures, perhaps millions when it's said and done.

Rpatrick

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 16, 2017
Missouri
I've heard countless people say that they did NOT read my first book because they disliked the title. In effect, I killed a decent % of my buying pool. The decision probably cost me at least six figures, perhaps millions when it's said and done.

I was actually just reading the jacket on that book as I admittedly passed over it the first time based on it's title as a "get rich quick" type book.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
It's a terrible name. Remember that an average buyer will choose by instinct and then rationalize their decisions.
As MJ said, a fraction of your possible customers will be turned off by the name. That adds up.

I do like the logo though, just remove the LLC and the writing on the back.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
"Hi I'm Arty Loser and I'll help you win your civil lawsuit!" -- uh, no you won't
"Hi I'm Dusty Thomas and I'll help you clean your house!" -- nope
"Hi I'm Jerry Debtor and I'll help you make millions!" -- not a chance
"Hi I'm Dr. Killyou and I'll help you get rid of unwanted back pain, no cutting necessary!"

:D

I make fun of these people on tv all the time. Never hired one of them tho.

*The quoted statements above are fictional depictions of real life people in order to maintain discretion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.