The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is my business project a selfish idea, or am I seeing need/demand right?

Idea threads

liam_hughes_85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 7, 2022
Hey all,

before you go in on me for the title, I'm not asking anyone to do my job for me with this, I'm just looking for input from neutral parties.

I'm working on creating a brand of dog dental care treats/products and I'm afraid I might be blinded to whether or not there is a need. I have a dog who's had teeth issues, and believe me and everyone else I've talked to that it's a huge pain to brush a dog's teeth. I've researched what people's complaints are about the existing products on the market, because there are definitely solutions existing. I've seen a lot of "do what you love"-ers on etsy and similar platforms peddling similar recipes.

Am I wrong to think that if I go at this idea from the perspective of creating actual value for a dog owner with disposable income who wants the best for their pup, and if I market it in a way that isn't being done in that realm, that I'm not on the same plane as trust fund hippie dog boutique etsy folks?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020
A challenge I have noticed in life is that there are a number of challenges/obstacles for "better mouse traps."

1. The mouse trap must be significantly better than the best other one.
2. It is often expensive to educate an audience. (The Bernays Reader is awesome, but the examples there had deep pockets.)
3. Beyond educating why YOUR dog treat is significantly better than Acme Dog Treats, how to you reach enough people to get the volume you need? It might be doable through creative social media stuff, maybe a webpage you own on which you host tributes to dogs who have died in which people can post their dogs pictures and their story ... or something creative like that.
4. If you get any traction, Petco will order some, have their food engineers deconstruct it, and then build an almost-as-good version that they will sell for 50% of what you have to charge to break even.
5. My dog is 9 years old, and I love him, but I currently break the grocery store $12.99 for 100 treats into quarters because I am a tightwad. Shipping for yours will be at least $6, can you make me 100 treats for $12.99 that includes shipping? If not, how will you convince me that "for the price of a latte a day, ..."

My suggestion is to address my above thoughts to your satisfaction, and then charge forward and make millions!

liam_hughes_85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 7, 2022
A challenge I have noticed in life is that there are a number of challenges/obstacles for "better mouse traps."

1. The mouse trap must be significantly better than the best other one.
2. It is often expensive to educate an audience. (The Bernays Reader is awesome, but the examples there had deep pockets.)
3. Beyond educating why YOUR dog treat is significantly better than Acme Dog Treats, how to you reach enough people to get the volume you need? It might be doable through creative social media stuff, maybe a webpage you own on which you host tributes to dogs who have died in which people can post their dogs pictures and their story ... or something creative like that.
4. If you get any traction, Petco will order some, have their food engineers deconstruct it, and then build an almost-as-good version that they will sell for 50% of what you have to charge to break even.
5. My dog is 9 years old, and I love him, but I currently break the grocery store $12.99 for 100 treats into quarters because I am a tightwad. Shipping for yours will be at least $6, can you make me 100 treats for $12.99 that includes shipping? If not, how will you convince me that "for the price of a latte a day, ..."

My suggestion is to address my above thoughts to your satisfaction, and then charge forward and make millions!
Much appreciated. Entering this realm, I'm fully prepared to keep my eyes peeled for better opportunities of need in the space, different approaches in a relatively similar niche, sell people materials to build a better mousetrap instead of continuing to try and build one myself, etc. My plan does involve leveraging/educating through social media and involvement in the community in the big west coast city I'm in.

These are great things to think about and I appreciate you taking the time to write this!

Dr Doomain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 16, 2023
Do a very thorough keyword research about these products, read forums, try to talk to dog owners, and find a good niche product or market you are able to serve. It maybe dog toothbrush but maybe something totally different

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

liam_hughes_85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 7, 2022
Do a very thorough keyword research about these products, read forums, try to talk to dog owners, and find a good niche product or market you are able to serve. It maybe dog toothbrush but maybe something totally different
Conclusion I kinda came to. Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.