The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea for a clothing line (Jeans)...help

Idea threads

HeartyBowl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 20, 2013
So I lift weights and one thing that myself and others have problems with is finding jeans that fit.
Since we squat, our thighs are bigger than normal but our waist stays relatively the same. So in order to find jeans that fit our thighs, we need to buy bigger jeans--even then sometimes it still doesn't fit our thighs.

I would like to create a jean line for squatters where these jeans would have have enlarged holes for the thighs and calves without increasing waist size. This is a large-scale problem shared with squaters around the world and the competition is currently non-existent since no one has made jeans that cater to squatters. The only solutions to this problem is to buy bigger jeans or get them tailored/hemmed. The jeans would most likely be sold online only since this is a very niche market, but I think this could be a great idea because this could become the primary source of jeans for squatters all over the world.

I have no capital and no experience in designing jeans so how would I go about doing this?

My only idea is to create a business plan, pitch the idea to investors, and hopefully receive funds to pay for a designer and the costs to manufacture the jeans. But I'm afraid that investors won't even consider this since I would have no proof of concept, no prototypes, no sales, or anything...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NECST

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 15, 2014
Phoenix
Seems like a good idea. You don't even need to be a squatter for jeans to not fit. I run and still have trouble.

A few thoughts on where to start:
  1. Your fears about investors are probably a pretty good gauge to what you should focus on first. Validate the need for this product. Get confident that people want the value you can provide them, and can pay you for it. Maybe go to a bunch of gyms and ask people if they have trouble finding jeans that fit. Search for their actual pains. Then you might be able to gauge the size of your market. How would you describe the value and the people you would provide it to in one sentence?
  2. Think about how you would sell it. You said online, but you might want to go deeper than that. For example, are you going to sell on your own website only, or amazon, or nordstroms? if amazon or nordstroms or whatever, how do you get your jeans to show up on their website when the traffic you want searches for them? If your own website, how are you going to drive traffic to it? Are you going to do adwords campaigns?
  3. Seriously consider whether or not you want an investor, and if you do, how you will give them a return. You may have more confidence to start this up without one after 1 and 2, which can make things simpler if you only want them for money and not mentorship/business help.
Work on how to get them designed, manufactured, and distributed after these things.

HeartyBowl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 20, 2013

NECST

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 15, 2014
Phoenix
my point is you have a lot of legwork to do that costs an insignificant amount of money to see if you should even pursue this. if the idea is worth pursuing and you can show it, getting money wont be a problem. I can guarantee you that 2 threads on the same forum is not going to prove your idea to anyone

stop focusing on the money. prove that people value jeans with big thighs enough to pay for them. and there's enough of those people to support a business.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
look up Barbell jeans, they are getting a little PR and i think have a kickstarter program. Any jean-maker can put a little lycra in the denim material for some stretch. A few different brands have some jeans that have that. They are real comfortable.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Seems like a good idea. You don't even need to be a squatter for jeans to not fit. I run and still have trouble.

A few thoughts on where to start:
  1. Your fears about investors are probably a pretty good gauge to what you should focus on first. Validate the need for this product. Get confident that people want the value you can provide them, and can pay you for it. Maybe go to a bunch of gyms and ask people if they have trouble finding jeans that fit. Search for their actual pains. Then you might be able to gauge the size of your market. How would you describe the value and the people you would provide it to in one sentence?
  2. Think about how you would sell it. You said online, but you might want to go deeper than that. For example, are you going to sell on your own website only, or amazon, or nordstroms? if amazon or nordstroms or whatever, how do you get your jeans to show up on their website when the traffic you want searches for them? If your own website, how are you going to drive traffic to it? Are you going to do adwords campaigns?
  3. Seriously consider whether or not you want an investor, and if you do, how you will give them a return. You may have more confidence to start this up without one after 1 and 2, which can make things simpler if you only want them for money and not mentorship/business help.
Work on how to get them designed, manufactured, and distributed after these things.

I totally thought you had to have those three things at the end figured out before the investor came along.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeartyBowl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 20, 2013
Wow that's heartbreaking. I had no idea that barbell jeans existed, probably because they're new and haven't lifted off yet.
I'd still like to pursue this but I don't know if that would be a smart move given that they're gonna launch soon.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Okay let's start over which product already exists? Stretch jeans or squat jeans? And, why couldn't the OP do it better?
Well both do, and the op could probably do it better
ive seen someone try to advertise it on across a the body building.com forum and the idea got shot down, so op atleast make sure there would be a demand or that you can create one

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Wow that's heartbreaking. I had no idea that barbell jeans existed, probably because they're new and haven't lifted off yet.
I'd still like to pursue this but I don't know if that would be a smart move given that they're gonna launch soon.

i guess burger king and wendys made a big mistake because mcdonalds had already cornered the burger market. Google should have never started because there were already search engines.

If its a passion for you, (which it probably isnt since you are giving up already) there is room for tons of competitors. Unique businesses are less than lightning strikes. If that is your criteria, you will never get started.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
so how much do you squat

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.