The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the step-by-step process for creating a clothing collection, from a simple idea to the manufacture of prototypes?

Idea threads

Laâziz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 19, 2019
What is the step-by-step process for creating a clothing collection, from a simple idea to the manufacture of prototypes?

Hello my friends, entrepreneurs and future entrepreneurs.

I am particularly aimed at fashion professionals, or those who have already had experience in the sector.
I want to create a brand of clothing, I am annoyed because I do not know at all the order of the steps to put in place to succeed in making the prototypes.

I start from an idea, from there ... what would be my plan of attack?
what is the very first thing to do? ... then what is the second thing to do? 3rd thing etc ... until the final realization of the prototypes.

I will be grateful if someone among you could open the way for me, .... a big thank you in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Phase 1 - Collect underpants
Phase 2 - ?
Phase 3 - Profit

or

1. Start Up
2. Cash In
3. Sell Out
4. Bro Down

or

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Source inventory
Market the inventory
Sell the inventory
Pick what color Ferrari or Lamborghini you want to own

It's technically, that simple...... in theory at least :rofl:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I don’t know.. but it’d be lovely if you figured it out and then shared it with us while also mentioning exactly who your suppliers are and what you bought from them. Can’t wait to hear you explain everything! I’m following this thread!

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I’ll take a shot at it.

Design a shirt
Get it printed
Open a store
Sell the shirt
Buy Ferrari

Added few important steps:

Design a shirt
Get it printed
Open a store
Open an LLC
Get business cards with gold on them (CEO!!!)

Sell the shirt
Buy Ferrari
Get the house that goes with the Ferrari

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Laâziz welcome. 'give to get' is a better route.

post what you have done, tried, learned. then we can build together.

Laâziz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 19, 2019

Thank you
as I said, I don't know where to start and the little I did was go see 2 organizations,
the first is a local organization that helps people to create their businesses, with them I started to establish a mini business plan,
then the second organization are people I know well who own a marketing and website creation company,
with their experiences I said to myself that they could help me in this adventure.
I had asked for a quote for a market study and a series of procedures, but I remained without answers, I reminded them but still without answers, .... I think they feel overwhelmed by my project and that they do not know how to implement my project.

suddenly, I stagnate

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I want to create a brand of clothing
What kind of clothes & for who?
Normally the designer will sketch designs then make them.
It's that simple. But that's just the event.

What's not so simple is the process that precedes that; lifelong love of fashion, the study of design, fabrics, colours, trends...

suddenly, I stagnate

It really depends on what market you aim for.

Laâziz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 19, 2019
What kind of clothes & for who?

Normally the designer will sketch designs then make them.
It's that simple. But that's just the event.

What's not so simple is the process that precedes that; lifelong love of fashion, the study of design, fabrics, colours, trends...

It really depends on what market you aim for.
yes I understood correctly, I am going to ask my question differently, ..... what are the first three stages that must be started immediately after the idea?

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
yes I understood correctly, I am going to ask my question differently, ..... what are the first three stages that must be started immediately after the idea?
It's very difficult to advise you without knowing what kind of clothing, who you want to sell to & your skill level because it's a different process with many options that would take forever to detail.

Answer these questions:
  • What kind of clothing
    • Children, ladies, men's, smart, casual, sport, work...
  • Who will buy them
    • Age, income, country...
  • Where will you sell them
    • Online, your own shops, boutiques-national or independent, department stores, supermarkets
  • What specific skills do you have
    • Fashion, drawing, fabric, cutting, sewing
  • Who will design them
  • What's your startup capital

Last edited:

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans

Edit:this joke is probably going to come back and bite me in the a$$ for the next question I ask lol

Laâziz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 19, 2019
[QUOTE = "Odysseus M Jones, message: 892241, membre: 76768"]
Il est très difficile de vous conseiller sans savoir à quel type de vêtements, à qui vous voulez vendre et à votre niveau de compétence, car c'est un processus différent avec de nombreuses options qui prendraient une éternité à se détailler.

Répondez à ces questions:
  • Quel genre de vêtements
    • Enfants, femmes, hommes, intelligents, décontractés, sport, travail ...
    • WOMEN
  • Qui va les acheter
    • Âge, revenu, pays ...
    • 20-35, 1500EUR, FRANCE AND CARAIBES
  • Où allez-vous les vendre
    • En ligne, vos propres magasins, boutiques-nationales ou indépendantes, grands magasins, supermarchés
    • WHOLESALER AND ONLINE STORE
  • Quelles compétences spécifiques avez-vous
    • Mode, dessin, tissu, coupe, couture
    • ANY
  • Qui les concevra
  • MANUFACTURING WORKSHOP
  • Quel est votre capital de démarrage
  • ZERO (LOAN)
[/CITATION]
It's very difficult to advise you without knowing what kind of clothing, who you want to sell to & your skill level because it's a different process with many options that would take forever to detail.

Answer these questions:
  • What kind of clothing
    • Children, ladies, men's, smart, casual, sport, work...
  • Who will buy them
    • Age, income, country...
  • Where will you sell them
    • Online, your own shops, boutiques-national or independent, department stores, supermarkets
  • What specific skills do you have
    • Fashion, drawing, fabric, cutting, sewing
  • Who will design them
  • What's your startup capital

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

Edit:this joke is probably going to come back and bite me in the a$$ for the next question I ask lol
I wish I'd thought of that, I've made a rod for my own back here

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
[QUOTE = "Odysseus M Jones, message: 892241, membre: 76768"]
Il est très difficile de vous conseiller sans savoir à quel type de vêtements, à qui vous voulez vendre et à votre niveau de compétence, car c'est un processus différent avec de nombreuses options qui prendraient une éternité à se détailler.

Répondez à ces questions:
  • Quel genre de vêtements
    • Enfants, femmes, hommes, intelligents, décontractés, sport, travail ...
    • WOMEN
  • Qui va les acheter
    • Âge, revenu, pays ...
    • 20-35, 1500EUR, FRANCE AND CARAIBES
  • Où allez-vous les vendre
    • En ligne, vos propres magasins, boutiques-nationales ou indépendantes, grands magasins, supermarchés
    • WHOLESALER AND ONLINE STORE
  • Quelles compétences spécifiques avez-vous
    • Mode, dessin, tissu, coupe, couture
    • ANY
  • Qui les concevra
  • MANUFACTURING WORKSHOP
  • Quel est votre capital de démarrage
  • ZERO (LOAN)
[/CITATION]
For your proposed route the easiest way is to contact garment manufacturers who offer design services. They will guide you through the process, produce samples & send them to you.
Or you find a designer, there are lots of no name production designers or even design students, then you get prototypes made. You can even have your designs made locally at a seamstress.

Laâziz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 19, 2019
For your proposed route the easiest way is to contact garment manufacturers who offer design services. They will guide you through the process, produce samples & send them to you.
Or you find a designer, there are lots of no name production designers or even design students, then you get prototypes made. You can even have your designs made locally at a seamstress.
thank you for answering my questions and also quickly, I very much appreciate your kindness and your advice.

don't you think that it is necessary to do market research before contacting the manufacturers for samples?

Laâziz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 19, 2019
in doing my research i just realized one thing.
if my goal is to sell my collection to wholesalers, then there is no need to do market research? .... what do you think?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
if my goal is to sell my collection to wholesalers, then there is no need to do market research? .... what do you think?

What is market research for you? Aren’t you a designer designing your own products in your own style.

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
thank you for answering my questions and also quickly, I very much appreciate your kindness and your advice.

don't you think that it is necessary to do market research before contacting the manufacturers for samples?
It would be good to know if there's a demand.

What makes you think people will buy your clothes?

Dylan42

Big D
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 3, 2016
Houston, TX
Do you have any skills that would save you time and money in the area?
Are you just designing (say t-shirts) for example?

In order to help you best a little more information is needed.

Say you wanted to do graphic T-shirts in whatever niche you're planning on entering. You can design it, provide your idea to a local designer, or use Fiverr.

Then I'd suggest researching different places that create the product onto a shirt. Some places like Teespring even let you sell on their site and ship your product for you. You also will want to take a little time in seeing different styles of shirts, the cloth they're made of or what kind of cut you want.

Design your own website if you're capable. Work on SEO if you're capable. Create social media and get your name out there and be very consistent in posts.

Get an LLC or DBA. (I'd test the waters before this step.)

I read through the posts here and didn't really see any information you've provided in order to help specifically. Maybe this will help some.

This is a difficult area to become rich in. But you will gain some good knowledge and maybe some good connections for the future. If anything take it as a learning experience if this is your first venture.

Ultimately though, if it's something you want to do you have to just go for it and you will learn as you go. You can't expect it to happen for you.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Im suprised people are responding to one of the dumbest threads ever created

Laâziz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 19, 2019
b
[QUOTE = "sparechange, post: 892418, membre: 43751"]
Je suis surpris que les gens répondent à l'un des fils les plus stupides jamais créés
[/CITATION

ben si tu laisses toi aussi un commentaire tu démontres que toi aussi tu fais parti de la bande, je te souhaite la bienvenu parmi nous;)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
b
[QUOTE = "sparechange, post: 892418, membre: 43751"]
Je suis surpris que les gens répondent à l'un des fils les plus stupides jamais créés
[/CITATION

ben si tu laisses toi aussi un commentaire tu démontres que toi aussi tu fais parti de la bande, je te souhaite la bienvenu parmi nous;)

I guess so, the above poster mentioned google search.... I'll have to side with him

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Starting a clothing line is _damn_ easy and like others already said: Please use Google.

But it's such an oversaturated market that it's mainly a question of marketing these days. Same goes for your own energy drink, by the way. Or any soft drink, for that matter.

I was quite impressed by a lot of things Daymond John told about the first years of FUBU. Didn't know he's on Shark Tank, now.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
But it's such an oversaturated market that it's mainly a question of marketing these days.

It is a brutal market. Brooks Brothers has filed for bankruptcy. That is a 202 year old company. Oversaturated is a good description at every level: there are endless companies chasing the market and the average person actually doesn't need any more clothing.

If the OP would go to the trouble of fleshing out the type of clothing and the targeted market I may go to the trouble of writing a few paragraphs about what I know, if I think it is relevant. Otherwise, this post is just a waste of time: someone who hasn't done his homework asking for help from those who have. OP, nobody is going to steal your idea.

Laâziz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 19, 2019
[QUOTE = "advantagecp, post: 892598, membre: 29367"]
C'est un marché brutal. Brooks Brothers a déposé son bilan. C'est une entreprise vieille de 202 ans. Sursaturé est une bonne description à tous les niveaux: il y a d'innombrables entreprises à la poursuite du marché et la personne moyenne n'a plus besoin de vêtements.

Si l'OP voulait se donner la peine d'étoffer le type de vêtements et le marché ciblé, je pourrais me donner la peine d'écrire quelques paragraphes sur ce que je sais, si je pense que c'est pertinent. Sinon, ce poste n'est qu'une perte de temps: quelqu'un qui n'a pas fait ses devoirs demande de l'aide à ceux qui l'ont fait. OP, personne ne va voler votre idée.
[/CITATION]
si vous pensez vraiment ce que vous dites, cela voudrait dire que malheureusement vous ne pouvez pas voir au-delà du bout de votre nez, ... et j'ajouterai que vous n'auriez pas dû perdre votre temps à commenter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.