The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can I start a clothing brand with a single design idea?

Idea threads

BenjaminO

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 4, 2022
Hello everyone,

First post on the forums. Quick background: I'm a 27 year old male. I am just beginning my journey into business and entrepreneurship; I've never started a business before.

I have this idea for a really cool sweater design. I have a gut feeling that it would be very marketable and resonate with consumers. I know absolutely nothing about business, clothes, or the fashion industry.

My question is: can you build a clothing business off a single design/product? I should point out that the design allows for variation, meaning that all the sweaters would have the same basic "layout", but the finer details within the layout can vary, if that makes sense. I could use the analogy of a water bottle: the structure of the bottle is the same from bottle to bottle, but the colors, decals, etc. can change.

Thanks,

Ben

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nicole

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Nov 27, 2013
This reminds me of 'The Snuggie.' It's sort of a one-hit wonder in the fashion realm, isn't it? There aren't a whole bunch of Snuggie brand clothing items, Snuggie pants, Snuggie shoes, Snuggie hats and coats, just one type of Snuggie.

allen.zhao

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 8, 2022
for the idea itself, it's workable, you can see this concept on uniqolo store.
Hello everyone,

First post on the forums. Quick background: I'm a 27 year old male. I am just beginning my journey into business and entrepreneurship; I've never started a business before.

I have this idea for a really cool sweater design. I have a gut feeling that it would be very marketable and resonate with consumers. I know absolutely nothing about business, clothes, or the fashion industry.

My question is: can you build a clothing business off a single design/product? I should point out that the design allows for variation, meaning that all the sweaters would have the same basic "layout", but the finer details within the layout can vary, if that makes sense. I could use the analogy of a water bottle: the structure of the bottle is the same from bottle to bottle, but the colors, decals, etc. can change.

Thanks,

Ben
t

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
Take literary any POD platform - Printful or Printful, place your design on the clothing piece, create a product page, and run ads on it. You can literary do it all in one day, and will get actual feedback.

As you're asking for subjective opinions, I think your design probably seems cool to you, but not many other people would care. Prove me right or wrong by doing what I described in the first sentence.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brandaris

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
I totally agree with @Devilery. Get your idea validated asap.

I would do one of the following:

1. Validate your idea through a POD platform as already mentioned. You mention that your design allows for variation. Allright, go create some different designs and post them on those platforms as well.

2. Order a handful of custom-made sweaters with your design online somewhere. This is probably not that expensive and you can simply wear them to see what people think.

The first is probably the fastest way to validate your idea and know if it could have business potential. Imagine spending a lot of hours trying to create something for yourself only to find out that no one wants to buy it. That means a lot of time wasted.

If you just like to create the sweater because you like the design and creating a business out of it is not your primary goal, go do the second option and if the designs are liked by people, the business option will still be there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.