The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Want to Build My Personal Brand. Help?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Stealth Mode

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Nov 29, 2016
Hey everyone,

I'm a huge fan of TFM ever since I read the book. It has pushed me to break away from the 9-5 lifestyle.

One thing I really want to do is build my own brand online. I found a niche I want to attack and one that I can support with my experience.

The difficulty that I am having is finding a way to position myself. Has anyone built a personal brand and would be willing to help me get going?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
start by utilizing social media all mediums and fiverr.com can help you with likes and small intricate things; depending on your niche and image (assuming its a professional type or professional product based on your avatar) then structure it accordingly. Its all about effective market utilization. You've found your niche and only you know your product for your niche market; whether it pays to market by word of mouth or obtain reviews/digital presence you can structure from that point.

am assuming you have a website that is solid and up to date (if not this is good starting point as well); linkedin is huge these days as well...

SEO and google metrics can help you track your web page viewings and demographics + data responding to your needs.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
What's your story? What makes you different than the other 7 billion of us? A personal brand should be just that.. personal.

For some inspiration, check out the bold and determined blog and YouTube channel. It is one of the better examples I can think of with regards to personal branding.

In addition, Chris Jones of Pump Chasers / Physiques of Greatness is a personal brand type guy. Awesome entrepreneur and over the top personality. When he had a falling out with his business partner at PoG, he had to start Pump Chasers. He's even more successful now, because he WAS/IS the brand.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
What's your story? What makes you different than the other 7 billion of us? A personal brand should be just that.. personal.

For some inspiration, check out the bold and determined blog and YouTube channel. It is one of the better examples I can think of with regards to personal branding.

In addition, Chris Jones of Pump Chasers / Physiques of Greatness is a personal brand type guy. Awesome entrepreneur and over the top personality. When he had a falling out with his business partner at PoG, he had to start Pump Chasers. He's even more successful now, because he WAS/IS the brand.

THATS the punchline. "what makes you or your product no different then the rest of us 7 Billion"

competition at its finest. i love it!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm a huge fan of TFM ever since I read the book. It has pushed me to break away from the 9-5 lifestyle.

One thing I really want to do is build my own brand online. I found a niche I want to attack and one that I can support with my experience.

The difficulty that I am having is finding a way to position myself. Has anyone built a personal brand and would be willing to help me get going?

What makes you want to build a personal brand?

What have you done that's special?

Why should I care about you? Your brand?

Why should the market care about who you are or what you've done?

Let's be honest here. The truth will set you free. No one cares about you. They only care about what YOU can do for them. Ask yourself: What can YOU do for others that's so HIGH value they will be screaming for it?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Hey everyone,

Why?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
There's only one thing that's worked for me to build a personal brand.

Here's what didn't work:

• Instagram
• Twitter
• Facebook pages
• Websites
• YouTube Videos
• New Logos
• Business Cards
• Posting on reddit

Here's what did work:

Building relationships with the right people -- people who positioned me as a credible authority. People who's name was strong enough to lift my name up just by being part of their network. People who know people and could introduce me to people. People who think I'm skilled enough to say "this guy is an expert at and you should listen to him."

Brands aren't just about colors and logos and email lists. They're not about Instagram pictures or Snap Chats. You have to know people and be someone worth listening to. It's not so much a matter of "attacking" a niche. It's a matter of showing up, being awesome, and meeting the right people in a way that causes them to like, know and trust you so they open up their world to you.

Make sense?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Change your goal from "building a personal brand" to "helping people".

Want to be known as "The XYZ Guy"?

Help people with XYZ.

A rule of thumb (from Rob Walling I think): spend 50% of your time doing the work, and 50% of your time talking about it.

You may want to check out these threads:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Also, read "Built to Sell"

It's alright getting started making sales as "The XYZ Guy".

Later on you might want to make sales as "The XYZ Business".

Stealth Mode

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Nov 29, 2016

Great suggestions, thank you.

I've become much more aware of the need for a story, and it seems all great marketers have their story. For my niche, I've built that story but I am working on making it compelling, highlighting my ups and downs in a way that resonates with my audience. I don't want to come off as polished/almost fake.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Stealth Mode

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Nov 29, 2016
Also, read "Built to Sell"

It's alright getting started making sales as "The XYZ Guy".

Later on you might want to make sales as "The XYZ Business".
I've read Built to Sell and it was a great book.

Loved the story form of it. Opened my eyes to a few things, including ways to avoid being the "I can be anything you want me to be" type of guy.

Stealth Mode

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Nov 29, 2016
Change your goal from "building a personal brand" to "helping people".

Want to be known as "The XYZ Guy"?

Help people with XYZ.

A rule of thumb (from Rob Walling I think): spend 50% of your time doing the work, and 50% of your time talking about it.

You may want to check out these threads:
Thanks for the suggestions, I want to publish a bunch of content (Jab, Jab, Jab Right Hook type approach).

I'll pour through those threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stealth Mode

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Nov 29, 2016
There's only one thing that's worked for me to build a personal brand.

Here's what did work:

Building relationships with the right people -- people who positioned me as a credible authority. People who's name was strong enough to lift my name up just by being part of their network. People who know people and could introduce me to people. People who think I'm skilled enough to say "this guy is an expert at and you should listen to him."

Brands aren't just about colors and logos and email lists. They're not about Instagram pictures or Snap Chats. You have to know people and be someone worth listening to. It's not so much a matter of "attacking" a niche. It's a matter of showing up, being awesome, and meeting the right people in a way that causes them to like, know and trust you so they open up their world to you.

Make sense?
Makes a lot of sense but how were you able to find the right influencers to work with? That's definitely a big challenge for me starting out.

I don't have much to offer yet at least, but as I add more content and retain users it'll be easier.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the suggestions, I want to publish a bunch of content (Jab, Jab, Jab Right Hook type approach).

I'll pour through those threads.
If you're going down the "content marketing" route as a way of getting attention and influencing people, then I recommend Dan Norris's free video series here: www.contentmachine.com/free

Also, you're still talking about what you want (to publish content - so you can ask for something).

Try thinking in terms of publishing articles (etc) to help people. You have knowledge they don't and can't find easily. You're solving a problem for them.

The first two words of your thread title give away your mindset.

Maybe also check out the first radio interview linked to in my signature.

Remember, our job as business owners is to help people (aka add value), and get paid for it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.