The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need an SEO experts opinion

Marketing, social media, advertising

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So bad news, my domain name got taken and all my hard work has gone down the shitter potentially. I might need to get a new domain name, my question is how does this afffect seo? Can I just contact the people I got the backlink from and they redirect it to my new website?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LHXS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 31, 2020
United Kingdom
So bad news, my domain name got taken and all my hard work has gone down the shitter potentially. I might need to get a new domain name, my question is how does this afffect seo? Can I just contact the people I got the backlink from and they redirect it to my new website?
Might need a little more detail - how did your domain name get "taken"? Did you have it registered and just let it lapse?

LHXS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 31, 2020
United Kingdom
Well that's sucks. Obviously fight get it back, perhaps even worth paying for.

In terms of trying to maintain some of the Search traffic you had, I think the only option is to try and get any back links you had, repointed to your new domain. If you don't control the old domain anymore, you can't 301 it, or use search console to inform a move. Chances are that the person that snapped it off was after an aged domain with back links.

I thought there was a cooling off period? Did you miss all the email warnings?

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
As mentioned, since you don't own the domain any longer - you can't 301 to the new domain. If you had good backlinks, the best thing is to do is contact the webmaster and have them swap out the links but other than that, there's not much you can do.

There are a lot of tiny factors that come into play with SEO so just cause you have the same backlinks pointing to your site, that will not mean you'll gain the same DA to the new domain. Don't just focus on backlinks, there's so much else to SEO.

Your main priority should be to provide good readable content for the user, always write for a human not for Google.

daniel_m

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Feb 26, 2019
Without the domain you pretty much lost everything. It's not as simple as getting those webmasters to change their links and expect your traffic to be back. Try to buy back the domain from the current owner.

If you weren't getting much traffic to begin with, then i guess it doesn't matter.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Well that's sucks. Obviously fight get it back, perhaps even worth paying for.

In terms of trying to maintain some of the Search traffic you had, I think the only option is to try and get any back links you had, repointed to your new domain. If you don't control the old domain anymore, you can't 301 it, or use search console to inform a move. Chances are that the person that snapped it off was after an aged domain with back links.

I thought there was a cooling off period? Did you miss all the email warnings?
For some domain providers i believe there was i did get an email say it was gonna expire i did miss that but i honestly wasnt plan on running this business anymore i already lost tens of thousands of dollars and only made a few thousand in revenue. I did get some great experience out of it though. I deemed that there was no demand for the stuff i was selling.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
As mentioned, since you don't own the domain any longer - you can't 301 to the new domain. If you had good backlinks, the best thing is to do is contact the webmaster and have them swap out the links but other than that, there's not much you can do.

There are a lot of tiny factors that come into play with SEO so just cause you have the same backlinks pointing to your site, that will not mean you'll gain the same DA to the new domain. Don't just focus on backlinks, there's so much else to SEO.

Your main priority should be to provide good readable content for the user, always write for a human not for Google.
Yeah, I think the backlink is the biggest one factor for ranking.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Without the domain you pretty much lost everything. It's not as simple as getting those webmasters to change their links and expect your traffic to be back. Try to buy back the domain from the current owner.

If you weren't getting much traffic to begin with, then i guess it doesn't matter.
Yeah didn't have much but i didn't have that much sales of the course of a year lost tens of thousands of dollars.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

Would you say no point in pursuing it forward anyways if i wasnt making anything?

daniel_m

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Feb 26, 2019
Would you say no point in pursuing it forward anyways if i wasnt making anything?

Probably no point to purse it. Age is pretty important for SEO (age of content, links, domain) so you'll be starting over, but if the traffic wasn't there then you aren't losing anything. Just a matter of how much you liked that domain name at this point, and how much you're willing to spend to get it back, if you choose to go that route.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.