The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Make $15,000/month - 3 Hours of Work Per Day

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm completely guessing and it has been a few days since I read the post but as I understood it, he/she was selling the working ones and scrapping the non working ones and selling the parts. Parts selling is a big business with lots of things.

Speaking of scrapping.... the next time you see these people with all the 'junk' in the back of their pickup heading to the scrap yard..... just think of their options to make WAY more money. They could sell some of the items and they could sell the parts on ebay. Then take the left over metal to the scrap yard. But they choose to drive around for 5 hours wasting gas, get $42 for their load of 'junk' at the scrap yard, put $30 back in the gas tank because they wasted that much driving around looking for the stuff and then go to Burger King to spend their WHOPPING (<<< YES pun intended :rofl: ) $12 on food or maybe stop by the gas station and buy a pack of cigs. I bet babies momma would ebay it for him and gladly split the profit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Celestia

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,625%
Sep 25, 2019
Wondering the same thing. I have 0 knowledge on repairing computers, lol!

I can fix them, but I usually don't bother. The computers I get from my sources are 100% working and ready to sell. Any MacBooks with serious problems I just sell as-is to people that fix and flip them.

1. How to know if they are a middleman or real source?

Price. A middleman can't offer you very good prices and still make anything for himself.

2. How to know if it's legit-- this is a biggie

I only deal cash and in-person for my deals - both buying from my sources and selling to people.

3. Since it's used - how do I verify the right wholesale price and retail that I can potentially sell on CL or Letgo, etc.

eBay - condition:used - sort by:price - highest to lowest

If it's a significant discount from comparable computers on eBay then it's a good price. If they're asking retail or close to retail, it's a bad price. You're not going to get a computer worth $400+ for $100 even if you're buying them by the 1,000's, but if you can get them for $100 to $200 less then there's a good margin there.

Celestia

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,625%
Sep 25, 2019
How big is the city you're selling in.

I could see this working for a med to large city, but prob not small rural areas.

Congratulations. I guess the demand for it in your city must be quite high for you to reach such impressive numbers

I live in a smaller suburb (70k population) but within 20 minutes of a large city with a population of 700k. Probably have around 1M within a 20 mile radius of my house.

I meet at a fast food restaurant less than 2 blocks from my house. It's so quick and easy, I can make $150 for 20 minutes of work and less than $1 in gas.

D

DeletedUser0287

Anyway, rant over. If you can find a good source of a product that is in demand and buy/sell it repeatedly, you've got yourself a good system.

This is the only thing that matters in this type of business. Product sourcing. Everything is easy.

Also just a game of how Fat your pockets are. Fat pockets + Good Product Source then you win

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Also just a game of how Fat your pockets are. Fat pockets + Good Product Source then you win

Do you mean for example, if Celestia has a lot of money to buy products and has a good product then he/she has a winner?

Celestia

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,625%
Sep 25, 2019
Do you mean for example, if Celestia has a lot of money to buy products and has a good product then he/she has a winner?

Money is only part of it. It's so easy to p*ss away money, and having capital to invest is no guarantee of success. You're going to run into hard limits. I can only sell so many MacBooks. I can't sell much more than I'm doing right now because my local market won't support it, and for reasons I outlined in an earlier post, I can't afford to sell them online. Let's go through some math here:

I can buy a MacBook for $250 and sell it for $400. Easy $150 profit right there if I sell locally. BUT, let's say I decided to sell them on eBay. eBay/PayPal would take 13% of the $400, so now I'm making $98. Then it's going to cost $35 to ship them safely, so now I'm down to $63. Then after taxes I'm down to like $45 if I'm lucky. I'd have to sell 10x per day to make the same profit I'm making selling 3 of them locally. Then I've also got 10x potential "problem" customers (oh, I bought this by mistake - it won't turn on anymore - I thought it would play this game but it can't so I want my money back - oh it has a scratch on it!). F*ck that shit.

If I hired a few employees and really scaled the operation I could probably make it work, but it would be a F*ck ton more work for very little reward. I *MIGHT* be able to make $1,000/day, but I would have to sell at least 30x every single day and have to constantly deal with dipshits. Then all of a sudden my $15,000/month easy 3 hour a day job turns into a nightmare of employees, payroll, taxes, shipping, and dealing with scammers and dipshit F*ckwads on eBay for 12 hours a day. No thanks. Even if I was able to clear $1,000/day and turn it into a $30,000/month business, if I'm working 12 hours a day instead of 3 I'd be working for 1/2 as much $$$ per hour:

3 hours per day = 90 hours per month / $15,000 = $166/hour
12 hours per day = 360 hours per month / $30,000 = $83/hour

Even though I'd be making more money, I'd be devaluing my time by 50%. That's a bad deal. I'd rather do something else with my time or just live more frugally. A penny saved is a penny earned.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm totally with you Celestia. I was asking the question because I think MoreValue thinks that if you have a lot of money to put in to it, you can make a lot of money but if you don't have money, you can't get this started. I've tried explaining that a person can start for free or $1 and work their way up. You don't need deep pockets to do something like this.

I'm totally with you on the d!p$h!t$ and refunds. The word refund has never been in my business vocabulary no matter what I business I've had and no website is going to force me to give a refund. As for taxes.... we have those no matter if we sell locally or to the whole world.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I've quoted some of what you said as I feel like they're important and people can learn from them. And sort of added my own opinions/thoughts to them.
you can find sources for everything.
This is true, in the early days of the company I work for... I remember our goals of sourcing oem parts/products. If we couldn't find them, we made sure we found the next best or even better.
Once I secured my sources (I had many)
This is really important. Have multiple sources, especially if you're a business owner who sells their own products. If I remember correctly, @B.Cole has some experience with this (at least saw the reasons why it's important to have multiple backups). If one manufacturer suddenly goes dark on you or quality isn't good, you always want to have alternatives and backups. Never place your eggs all in one manufacturer.
Selling as many as 150 MacBooks per month is pretty easy once you get a system set up.
Self-explanatory bold. Once you figure out the tasks that you need to be done, if you can automate that and set up a system, things will be much easier. P.S Before focusing on growth, focus on making the foundations for your company so that they can handle the growth.
I did hand out a couple of business cards to everyone I sold to. It simply said "XXXXXX - The Mac Guy" with my phone #. This helped bring in referrals and helped me get up to the 3-5 sales per day.
This is simply a reminder to have some way for your clients to refer someone to you.
Yes, there were problems. Yes, there were pissed off people. But all in all it was a fun side hustle.
I think a lot of people forget that business should be FUN! Enjoy the process! Although it's a daily grind, you should enjoy working on what you're working on. Otherwise, what's the point? Life is too short. Right now it seems long, but in 30 years, you'll look back and think, "Woah, time flew by fast!".
if they didn't pass the hardware test I'd list them on eBay for parts with the results of the hardware test.
I wanted to quote this because people forget that they can find other businesses in their current business. If you have a computer that doesn't startup. Are you going to throw away the entire computer? What if it was just the cable that wasn't working? Or only a few pieces of the puzzle were missing. Sell the rest of the pieces! Don't just throw them out. Find the other businesses in your current business; how can you provide more value?
you start to see trends of what types of people go after what types of houses when you get into this business and you learn what to avoid and what to jump on
When I was younger I would wake up early and go to thrift stores like good wills, ROSS, etc... and see what I can flip. I didn't do it too long and I never really made any money. But it's because I didn't know what people actually wanted. Invest some time in the thing you want to do. Figure out what people want or need and provide them that. You're not going to figure out in a day or two, things take time.

Captain Hoodie

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 17, 2017
Canada
Its pretty interesting that you did everything face to face and in cash only. Was your supplier always someone local or did you have to start with a middle man who you found online?

Were these laptops refurbished or just laptops that were acquired by your supplier in a used but still very functional state?

Were you always actively researching to find your sources or did you find better sources/suppliers through some referral?

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I'm glad I don't have to do this for a living nowadays because FaceBook Marketplace has taken a lot of people away from Craigslist. I can't stand FaceBook Marketplace. So many dumbasses on there and people that don't respond or jerk you around. With Craigslist it was easy because everyone CALLED you and you could tell within 5 seconds if it was a dipshit or not. Now with FaceBook you have to spend 20 minutes going back and forth with said dipshit while 20 other dipshits send you the same mind-numbing message: "is it still available?" to which you respond "Yes, when would you like to look at it?" and 90% of the time you get no response. Who the F*ck thought this was better than just calling someone and setting up a time to meet?

well done on the niche and finding the product at discount.

I agree with facebook marketplace being a joke. The problem with FB marketplace is that most people check ads on their phone... And FB marketplace has "pre-set" comments you can make.
The pre-set comment "is this available" is asked by everyone.
Another one is "where are you located?"

VERY frustrating because I put the location at the top of my post.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
Notice: the poster of this marketplace post will not reply to this post.
This poster does not have Facebook messenger and will not respond to messages.
The item will remain listed until it is sold. Sold meaning item swapped for cash.

This poster will not debate on prices. Listed price is already listed below MSRP, item is considered highly discounted.

If you are interested in this item call or text (burner phone) to purchase at (listed price)
Again, FB messages or comments on this post will not be read.

^-- that's the template I've used in the past for Marketplace listings.
Then disable notifications.

Hope that helps you in the future!
-

I've gotta ask. How did you deal with Icloud Lock?

Last edited:

Celestia

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,625%
Sep 25, 2019
Notice: the poster of this marketplace post will not reply to this post.
This poster does not have Facebook messenger and will not respond to messages.
The item will remain listed until it is sold. Sold meaning item swapped for cash.

This poster will not debate on prices. Listed price is already listed below MSRP, item is considered highly discounted.

If you are interested in this item call or text (burner phone) to purchase at (listed price)
Again, FB messages or comments on this post will not be read.

^-- that's the template I've used in the past for Marketplace listings.
Then disable notifications.

Hope that helps you in the future!
-

Does that really work? Seeing how few people on eBay actually read the listing before buying it, I can't imagine people actually reading that whole thing and actually calling you.

I've gotta ask. How did you deal with Icloud Lock?

I have a tool that I can use to clear any firmware locked Macs. If you're asking how I check if Find My Mac is enabled before I buy a computer, all you have to do is use a terminal command:

nvram -p | grep fmm

If it lists the person's information, Find My Mac is enabled and they can lock it at any time. To fix this, boot into a Mac OS installer via USB. Then run the following terminal command:

nvram -c

Wipe out the hard drive / SSD, then when it restarts do a hard PRAM reset by holding down Command + Option + P + R until it resets. Once Mac OS is installed, DO NOT connect to the internet. Instead, run the nvram -p | grep fmm command again and make sure it doesn't list the person's information.

If the person enables Find My Mac and you erase the drive, they can still lock it because the Find My Mac info is stored in the PRAM (separate from the hard drive). As soon as you wipe the computer and reinstall Mac OS, Find My Mac will be turned back on by the information stored in the PRAM and you'll be screwed.

I generally don't buy firmware locked Macs because they're usually stolen. I bought one the other day from a guy that claimed it belonged to his father who recently passed away. He seemed legit and could name a few files that were stored on the computer so I went ahead and bought it from him. It was a 2017 MacBook Pro touchbar. Paid $200 for it, sold it for $1,800 the next day. Took roughly 10 minutes to clear the firmware password and another 30 minutes to reinstall Mac OS. In total I invested a little more than an hour into it (including meeting the guy, getting it ready to go, listing it, and meeting with the buyer) and made $1,600. I can't complain.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
So in the future have someone click The Apple Logo at top left hand side of screen and select
''About this Mac'' Find the model name and serial number of your Mac
and read the Serial number.

Then call Apple
Tell them you are about to buy this device and want to make sure it's not locked.

I'm about to buy a Mac and just want to make sure I don't get scammed
If I provide you the serial number can you tell me if it's locked? I've had them read it to me and have it in front of me.

Read serial number: wait a few seconds while it's checked.
This can save you the hassle of getting there, then finding out it's locked.

Does that really work? Seeing how few people on eBay actually read the listing before buying it, I can't imagine people actually reading that whole thing and actually calling you.
It works for me. I most likley lose some offers because I don't check messages but don't personally care. Those who want something will call/text and this weeds out non-buyers.

Celestia

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,625%
Sep 25, 2019
So in the future have someone click The Apple Logo at top left hand side of screen and select
''About this Mac'' Find the model name and serial number of your Mac
and read the Serial number.

Then call Apple
Tell them you are about to buy this device and want to make sure it's not locked.

I'm about to buy a Mac and just want to make sure I don't get scammed
If I provide you the serial number can you tell me if it's locked? I've had them read it to me and have it in front of me.

Read serial number: wait a few seconds while it's checked.
This can save you the hassle of getting there, then finding out it's locked.

That serves no purpose. You'd know if it were locked because you couldn't get into it and the person you're buying it from will tell you they don't know the password. What you have to do is make sure they can't lock it AFTER you've bought it. That's why you have to clear Find My Mac.

There are two different types of passwords; account passwords and firmware passwords

Account passwords are the normal everyday passwords that you enter in when the computer starts up. It will have an account name and picture and a box underneath where you enter your password in order to get into the computer. These can easily be cleared by simply wiping the hard drive on the computer.

Firmware passwords actually lock the entire logic board. Even if you wipe the hard drive, these passwords persist and are tied to the actual hardware on the computer. If you buy a computer that's firmware locked, you're pretty screwed. It requires a very expensive specialized tool in order to unlock and requires removal of the logic board (a difficult and dangerous procedure for a regular user) in order to clear.

If Find My Mac is enabled, the original owner can remotely apply a firmware password to the device. Even if you erase the hard drive, they can still do this. That's why you have to clear the PRAM when you erase the hard drive, otherwise you're essentially using a computer with a killswitch that a stranger can flip at any time (even after you've flipped it).

Buying Apple devices (MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, etc.) is extremely risky because of this. Apple has so many security features and safeguards that you have to make sure are disabled, otherwise the original owner can turn your expensive device into a brick.

You don't know where stuff is coming from. When I first started doing this a long time ago, I bought a MacBook and it got firmware locked after I flipped it. It turns out that it belonged to the girlfriend of the guy that originally sold it to me and he had taken it when they broke up. It was registered in her name, but purchased with his money so he thought it belonged to him and she thought it belonged to her. The police got involved and I had to meet with the guy, his girlfriend, two police officers, and the guy I sold it to. Not fun. Now I just wipe everything I get and disable Find My Mac. It's much simpler. I won't knowingly buy something stolen, but I don't want to be in the middle of a dispute over ownership ever again.

evergreen_scene

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Dec 5, 2016
You don't know where stuff is coming from. When I first started doing this a long time ago, I bought a MacBook and it got firmware locked after I flipped it. It turns out that it belonged to the girlfriend of the guy that originally sold it to me and he had taken it when they broke up. It was registered in her name, but purchased with his money so he thought it belonged to him and she thought it belonged to her. The police got involved and I had to meet with the guy, his girlfriend, two police officers, and the guy I sold it to. Not fun. Now I just wipe everything I get and disable Find My Mac. It's much simpler. I won't knowingly buy something stolen, but I don't want to be in the middle of a dispute over ownership ever again.
[/QUOTE]

I'm confused on how you disable Find My Mac in the PRAM after wiping. Do not let it connect to the internet after wiping the SSD but once booted from the new OS, how do you wipe the PRAM?

Also - do you care to share with us an example of one of your craiglist posts? Perhaps just screenshots without your personal cell information. Would be useful to see if you are using the "Dealer" or "Owner" function in craigslist and how many images, desc used, etc.

Last edited:

Mark Trade

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Oct 16, 2019
Sydney Australia
Don't want to burst your bubble, or anything, but explaining all that unlocking jargon has probably helped a lot of thieves looking at this forum. You have just given them the key to the bank vault. Be careful and mindful of what information you post, because you don't know who's watching or reading.

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
Don't want to burst your bubble, or anything, but explaining all that unlocking jargon has probably helped a lot of thieves looking at this forum. You have just given them the key to the bank vault. Be careful and mindful of what information you post, because you don't know who's watching or reading.
I don't think this forum is full of macbook thieves

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
I know this might sound a bit silly or too easy with essentially non-existent "barrier to entry", but hey, it's probably not everyone's cup of tea anyway, because it requires a fair amount of actual WORK, not just tapping away on the keyboard.

Since most of us don't have a "secret source" of where we can get in-demand products at below their market price or buy them in bulk for considerable amounts of money, what do you think about finding products on eBay for re-sale locally via Craigslist, Gumtree or whatever your local equivalent is?

Usually, most people do this the other way round by finding products on local classifieds to then sell on eBay, but I think Celestia explained it quite well why selling on eBay is not always a good idea, i.e. eBay fees, Paypal fees, buyers complaining about silly things, returns, etc.

The advantage of sourcing online and then selling locally is that you have a lot more CHOICE and also you can FILTER the products/sellers quite well, especially on eBay, because you can see the seller's feedback, check their other items for sale and generally get a better feel of the product/seller.

Whereas if you were to source products locally, then you have to deal with a lot of travel, which is time-consuming, sellers who don't turn up or faulty items that you can't return since you paid cash on collection...you get my point.

Now granted, you still have to deal with calls, meet buyers locally and constantly source more items to re-sell, but overall it doesn't sound too bad and seems like a workable idea for someone who's willing to put in the work?

Probably worth mentioning that this will work best with popular products, like smartphones and tablets, and ideally in a big city, where the local demand can support this.

Am I talking non-sense or this is doable?

PTFIRE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 2, 2020
miami
yes, there were problems. Yes, there were pissed off people. But all in all it was a fun side hustle. I'm still doing it, but have ramped down quite a bit. I don't list on Craigslist anymore and am surviving off my referrals and new business from new cards I hand out to the people that buy stuff from me.
What would you say to someone that asked for a refund?

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
The other thing about local biz is that you can execute in your city, and basically guide someone else in another city through the whole process, and when they also crush it, you're not hurting yourself at all. Literally multiplying value, not creating competition.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, since this is being discussed in another thread.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I've never used a MAC before, but I have an iphone.
I bought a used iPhone once. no issues. When I booted it up it was at the "hello screen".
So make sure the iPhone you are buying has been "reset". If when you turn it on, it logs into iOS and not the setup screen, then you could get screwed with find my iphone cause the phone is "logged in" to an account.

as computers are a bit different, then I could see this being a problem. So I think you gotta make sure when the laptop turns on, it too is on a "hello" first time user screen.
with most PC's you can just wipe the hard drive. no real "physical" software locks. Unless its like a corporate laptop.

can anyway validate the mac os, "turn it on" and if you can 'reset'/'format' the mac to boot up at a "hello" new user screen and require log in?

hashtag

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 26, 2018
I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd share what I've been doing for the past decade. This is more of a side hustle because it's not really scalable past what I'm doing, but I've been able to become quite wealthy doing this. Now I've gotten into investment properties and I don't need to do this anymore so I thought I'd share what I did to make this kind of money. So what did I do to make $15,000/month working 3 hours per day? I flipped MacBooks. I sold 3-5 MacBooks per day making an average of $150 profit per MacBook. It was quite easy. First I had to find a source to acquire cheap MacBooks. Where did I find that source? Well I can't tell you, but if you're willing to do the leg work you can find sources for everything. What I liked about MacBooks was that they're basically all the same and easy to work on. Apple has a standardized hardware test that you can run on them to make sure they're not going to crap out on somebody the day after you sell them.

Once I secured my sources (I had many), I could buy as many MacBooks as I wanted. Selling as many as 150 MacBooks per month is pretty easy once you get a system set up. So why is this not scalable? Because I only sold on Craigslist. See, the best selling MacBooks are under $500, and for that price they're going to be old (7+ years). If you sell these things online, you're going to have way too many headaches. At only $150 profit each, you'll be in trouble if you get more than a small percentage of people that have problems. Remember, I didn't get into this to work 12 hour days. I don't want to mess with problems. If the thing dies a few weeks later, I don't want to hear about it. It's a used MacBook that's 10 years old. What did you expect? I made sure to sell every MacBook in public and I always made sure to tell people that I didn't warranty them. Despite this, I did hand out a couple of business cards to everyone I sold to. It simply said "XXXXXX - The Mac Guy" with my phone #. This helped bring in referrals and helped me get up to the 3-5 sales per day.

Yes, there were problems. Yes, there were pissed off people. But all in all it was a fun side hustle. I'm still doing it, but have ramped down quite a bit. I don't list on Craigslist anymore and am surviving off my referrals and new business from new cards I hand out to the people that buy stuff from me.

My favorite part of this was when people would bring me their old MacBooks. They'd either just go ahead and give them to me or ask if I'd take $50 off or whatever. I took these in and if they didn't pass the hardware test I'd list them on eBay for parts with the results of the hardware test. I usually didn't fix them (too time-consuming).

I'm glad I don't have to do this for a living nowadays because FaceBook Marketplace has taken a lot of people away from Craigslist. I can't stand FaceBook Marketplace. So many dumbasses on there and people that don't respond or jerk you around. With Craigslist it was easy because everyone CALLED you and you could tell within 5 seconds if it was a dipshit or not. Now with FaceBook you have to spend 20 minutes going back and forth with said dipshit while 20 other dipshits send you the same mind-numbing message: "is it still available?" to which you respond "Yes, when would you like to look at it?" and 90% of the time you get no response. Who the f*ck thought this was better than just calling someone and setting up a time to meet?

Anyway, rant over. If you can find a good source of a product that is in demand and buy/sell it repeatedly, you've got yourself a good system. Simply grow that system and keep attacking your niche and you'll be making bank in no time. I'm doing the same thing with my investment properties. I have one niche and one type of tenant that I target (I'm careful not to discriminate, but you start to see trends of what types of people go after what types of houses when you get into this business and you learn what to avoid and what to jump on). If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment below and I'll try to answer them.
Yes, MacBooks are good for flipping! I remember a few years ago, when Apple issued a recall for the 2011 MacBook pros (they had an nvidia graphics chip that would overheat and melt the solder- was soldered in California and they could not use acid core solder, only resin core which has a lower melting point). I was signed up for alerts and so I started buying up ANY MacBook Pro 2011 I could find..

I would walk into the Apple store with 2 or 3 MacBook pros, and 2 days later I would receive my repaired MacBook pro in the mail. They would replace the screen, battery, logic board, anything they found faulty. I made about $300 per MacBook Pro in the first 3 weeks of selling on eBay and Craigslist.

chabs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
May 4, 2017
Sydney, Australia
that was a good business,

Personally I enjoyed Facebook marketplace a lot when I hustled last year, re-selling used Nintendo’s. Marketplace had such massive volume compared to other similar local classifieds style apps.

And because it was visual and had a lot of people listing items as well.. I made most of my purchases through it too

Yes the “is this still available” is annoying.. but generally speaking most people were reasonable.

Made $38k in profit over 4.5 months before quitting cold turkey, due to my main line of work becoming busy again. The hours “worked” were generally between 5pm to 11pm. Probably average 2-3 hours a day and 4-5 hours weekend of “work”. Work involves taking photos , making listings, shipping orders, and picking up deals. Tho throughout the day I’d send messages and occasionally refresh the feed to see if any deals popped up (you had to jump on a good deal very fast).

It was such an awesome experience.. but not scalable. If your ego allows it.. reselling used items can be very fun!

And last year was a special case where simultaneously you had a lot of demand for old Nintendo’s because so many people were at home, AND you had a lot of supply from people clearing out their old junk because they wanted something to do at home.

The rising demand meant that you could ask for ever increasing prices on some product lines, Pokémon games have risen the most.. and mario games kept value like you wouldn’t believ.

Every time I sold Mario games to parents buying for their kids, they didn’t question the price .

This often meant that I could sell a good 15-20% higher than EBAY prices, and I didn’t pay fees!!!

Also once you have a lot of reviews, people were bank transferring me without PayPal, and I would ship out to them.

At the start it was the n64 that made bank. However the incredible volumes of wii products, combined with the fact that it was easy to buy a bundle with console, controllers, and 10+ games for under $150 meant that the Wii quickly overtook it in terms of overall profit.

Switch related products sold the fastest, especially because of the shortages of switches throughout last year. There were so many times I’d pickup a switch and have it sold by the time I got back home..

You could also get bonus margin capture, for example if you lucked out on any of the following, it was over a few $00’s extra per week in cash:

• Original switches were hackable and could be resold as tablet only, at a premium. Then I would seperately sell the dock, Joycons, and other peripherals, making $550-$750 on a switch that cost me $300-$400, and switches only averaged 1-3 days in inventory
  • Old Nintendo bundles sometimes weren’t photographed very nicely by the people selling them . So you see a bundle with console, controllers 6 n64 games and you value it at $400 individually, whilst seller is asking $250. You pick it up, and find out they also had games not photographed! If you were lucky, it was a mario party or equivalent high value game… those would go for over $100 a pop!
  • Nearly everyone has owned a wii at some point in their lives. And for some reason it gelt like the average Wii bundle included 10+ Games… so the chances of getting high value games (such as Mario games) in a Wii bundle were massive! The best part was that you would recover the cost of your Wii bundle purchase in under 3 days on average. Example: you buy a bundle for $150, and you sold Mario kart, new super Mario bros, and 2 controllers within 2 days. That’s already $180 made, and you still have the rest of the bundle to sell!
  • You could change your location in marketplace for purchases, I would buy from people in other states. When I bought it was ALWAYS PayPal, only got scammed once.. and that was ironically on the generic style classifieds equivalent in my local market.
  • When I sold it was mostly bank transfer if I was shipping it out, if someone picked up it was mostly cash. I always racked on a 4% PayPal surcharge.
  • I focused on providing a good customer experience, making sure to reply fast and shop fast with tracking numbers. This meant building up 5 star reviews came super fast.
  • I made money selling “customised bundles”. For example someone could order a specific 4 games from me, sometimes those games came from 4 different purchases! So I was buying bundles at a discount (unwanted bundles) and then selling bundles at a premium (wanted bundles). It was prettt cool , because a person would choose to buy from me because they could get 3+ games they wanted. Shipping was always free for 3+ games and sometimes I’d slip in a freebie $10 game or so.

All in all, an amazing experience, and super fun. Making treasure from someone else’s trash. Unfortunately it’s not scalable.

It’s also not healthy to be constantly refreshing your marketplace/Craigslist feed every few minutes, waiting to jump on a deal..

Currently I’m producing products with bulk orders and selling them. Focusing on brand. It’s much more profitable and you can dump upwards of $100k in a single purchase rather than many small purchases of $100-$500.

However it does come with other headaches.. mostly the time required and the increased overheads.. is it really a great business if you’re involved in it every day and don’t have much of a life outside of it?

There’s something about the little excitement of things like an unexpected $100 because the seller is like “oh I forgot to include this in the listing, but I don’t need it, you can have it”.

You just can’t recreate that excitement with a generic business

Also, the other exciting thing was that it was just me and at my own leisure… no managing people or relying on others.

Maybe I should write up a thread sharing a bit more about the Nintendo reselling story, if people would like to learn or be inspired? I funded this fun side hustle with a total of $750, seriously! It was honestly a special time where I just felt so much thrill and excitement, because it was so much more fun than most other businesses.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

that was a good business,

Personally I enjoyed Facebook marketplace a lot when I hustled last year, re-selling used Nintendo’s. Marketplace had such massive volume compared to other similar local classifieds style apps.

And because it was visual and had a lot of people listing items as well.. I made most of my purchases through it too

Yes the “is this still available” is annoying.. but generally speaking most people were reasonable.

Made $38k in profit over 4.5 months before quitting cold turkey, due to my main line of work becoming busy again.

It was such an awesome experience.. but not scalable. If your ego allows it.. reselling used items can be very fun!

And last year was a special case where simultaneously you had a lot of demand for old Nintendo’s because so many people were at home, AND you had a lot of supply from people clearing out their old junk because they wanted something to do at home.

The rising demand meant that you could ask for ever increasing prices on some product lines, Pokémon games have risen the most.. and mario games kept value like you wouldn’t believ.

Every time I sold Mario games to parents buying for their kids, they didn’t question the price .

This often meant that I could sell a good 15-20% higher than EBAY prices, and I didn’t pay fees!!!

Also once you have a lot of reviews, people were bank transferring me without PayPal, and I would ship out to them.

At the start it was the n64 that made bank. However the incredible volumes of wii products, combined with the fact that it was easy to buy a bundle with console, controllers, and 10+ games for under $150 meant that the Wii quickly overtook it in terms of overall profit.

Switch related products sold the fastest, especially because of the shortages of switches throughout last year. There were so many times I’d pickup a switch and have it sold by the time I got back home..

You could also get bonus margin capture, for example if you lucked out on any of the following, it was over a few $00’s extra per week in cash:

• Original switches were hackable and could be resold as tablet only, at a premium. Then I would seperately sell the dock, Joycons, and other peripherals, making $550-$750 on a switch that cost me $300-$400, and switches only averaged 1-3 days in inventory
  • Old Nintendo bundles sometimes weren’t photographed very nicely by the people selling them . So you see a bundle with console, controllers 6 n64 games and you value it at $400 individually, whilst seller is asking $250. You pick it up, and find out they also had games not photographed! If you were lucky, it was a mario party or equivalent high value game… those would go for over $100 a pop!
  • Nearly everyone has owned a wii at some point in their lives. And for some reason it gelt like the average Wii bundle included 10+ Games… so the chances of getting high value games (such as Mario games) in a Wii bundle were massive! The best part was that you would recover the cost of your Wii bundle purchase in under 3 days on average. Example: you buy a bundle for $150, and you sold Mario kart, new super Mario bros, and 2 controllers within 2 days. That’s already $180 made, and you still have the rest of the bundle to sell!
  • You could change your location in marketplace for purchases, I would buy from people in other states. When I bought it was ALWAYS PayPal, only got scammed once.. and that was ironically on the generic style classifieds equivalent in my local market.
  • When I sold it was mostly bank transfer if I was shipping it out, if someone picked up it was mostly cash. I always racked on a 4% PayPal surcharge.
  • I focused on providing a good customer experience, making sure to reply fast and shop fast with tracking numbers. This meant building up 5 star reviews came super fast.

All in all, an amazing experience, and super fun. Making treasure from someone else’s trash. Unfortunately it’s not scalable.

It’s also not healthy to be constantly refreshing your marketplace/Craigslist feed every few minutes, waiting to jump on a deal..

Currently I’m producing products with bulk orders and selling them. Focusing on brand. It’s much more profitable and you can dump upwards of $100k in a single purchase rather than many small purchases of $100-$500.

However it does come with other headaches.. mostly the time required and the increased overheads.. is it really a great business if you’re involved in it every day and don’t have much of a life outside of it?

There’s something about the little excitement of things like an unexpected $100 because the seller is like “oh I forgot to include this in the listing, but I don’t need it, you can have it”.

You just can’t recreate that excitement with a generic business

Also, the other exciting thing was that it was just me and at my own leisure… no managing people or relying on others.

Maybe I should write up a thread sharing a bit more about the Nintendo reselling story, if people would like to learn or be inspired? It was honestly a special time where I just felt so much thrill and excitement, because it was so much more fun than most other businesses.
Yes!!! Please write the thread. Your comment was an amazing addition to this thread, and it sounds like you know a TON about reselling.

A thread about the brand would probably be enjoyed by all, too. You seem very knowledgeable!

DonJulio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 18, 2020
I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd share what I've been doing for the past decade. This is more of a side hustle because it's not really scalable past what I'm doing, but I've been able to become quite wealthy doing this. Now I've gotten into investment properties and I don't need to do this anymore so I thought I'd share what I did to make this kind of money. So what did I do to make $15,000/month working 3 hours per day? I flipped MacBooks. I sold 3-5 MacBooks per day making an average of $150 profit per MacBook. It was quite easy. First I had to find a source to acquire cheap MacBooks. Where did I find that source? Well I can't tell you, but if you're willing to do the leg work you can find sources for everything. What I liked about MacBooks was that they're basically all the same and easy to work on. Apple has a standardized hardware test that you can run on them to make sure they're not going to crap out on somebody the day after you sell them.

Once I secured my sources (I had many), I could buy as many MacBooks as I wanted. Selling as many as 150 MacBooks per month is pretty easy once you get a system set up. So why is this not scalable? Because I only sold on Craigslist. See, the best selling MacBooks are under $500, and for that price they're going to be old (7+ years). If you sell these things online, you're going to have way too many headaches. At only $150 profit each, you'll be in trouble if you get more than a small percentage of people that have problems. Remember, I didn't get into this to work 12 hour days. I don't want to mess with problems. If the thing dies a few weeks later, I don't want to hear about it. It's a used MacBook that's 10 years old. What did you expect? I made sure to sell every MacBook in public and I always made sure to tell people that I didn't warranty them. Despite this, I did hand out a couple of business cards to everyone I sold to. It simply said "XXXXXX - The Mac Guy" with my phone #. This helped bring in referrals and helped me get up to the 3-5 sales per day.

Yes, there were problems. Yes, there were pissed off people. But all in all it was a fun side hustle. I'm still doing it, but have ramped down quite a bit. I don't list on Craigslist anymore and am surviving off my referrals and new business from new cards I hand out to the people that buy stuff from me.

My favorite part of this was when people would bring me their old MacBooks. They'd either just go ahead and give them to me or ask if I'd take $50 off or whatever. I took these in and if they didn't pass the hardware test I'd list them on eBay for parts with the results of the hardware test. I usually didn't fix them (too time-consuming).

I'm glad I don't have to do this for a living nowadays because FaceBook Marketplace has taken a lot of people away from Craigslist. I can't stand FaceBook Marketplace. So many dumbasses on there and people that don't respond or jerk you around. With Craigslist it was easy because everyone CALLED you and you could tell within 5 seconds if it was a dipshit or not. Now with FaceBook you have to spend 20 minutes going back and forth with said dipshit while 20 other dipshits send you the same mind-numbing message: "is it still available?" to which you respond "Yes, when would you like to look at it?" and 90% of the time you get no response. Who the f*ck thought this was better than just calling someone and setting up a time to meet?

Anyway, rant over. If you can find a good source of a product that is in demand and buy/sell it repeatedly, you've got yourself a good system. Simply grow that system and keep attacking your niche and you'll be making bank in no time. I'm doing the same thing with my investment properties. I have one niche and one type of tenant that I target (I'm careful not to discriminate, but you start to see trends of what types of people go after what types of houses when you get into this business and you learn what to avoid and what to jump on). If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment below and I'll try to answer them.
What made you target MacBooks and how could you tell which products were hot to sell?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.