The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I hope you all fail.

Anything related to matters of the mind

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Let me be clear.

I don't give one f*ck what someone is making, or claims to make. If they are regularly disrespectful to the forum and its members, I will boot them.

Anyone that's been around here long enough knows I give ZERO f*cks. Try remembering a few summers ago when a certain member claimed to be making millions and had a trail of sycophants lapping up his crap. I deleted him-- and I didn't give two shits-- and after I kicked him out, his lapdogs followed him out the door. ZERO f*cks.

Just an FYI, not targeted to anyone in particular-- but making money doesn't give you a license to be a dick around here.

As the issuer of Be A Dick Licenses, money isn't everything and there is a long waiting list.

So if you are going to take a swing at MJ, it had better be really really funny.

(even then, you still probably get banned as well, cause your being a dick in someone else's sandbox!)

((but go for it anyway, i need new material))

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
https://justinjackson.ca/desperation/

I haven't read this post all the way through, but for the love of God, people need to stop fetishizing desperation and failure. In some rare cases, it can be the motivation that someone needs in order to make a breakthrough, but more often than not, it leads to the poverty trap mentality; stress impairs cognitive abilities. People seem to have this romantic notion that you need to suffer to make the big breakthroughs. Yet, time and time again, some of the most successful entrepreneurs talk about taking calculated risks. You do need some level of discomfort to move you out of your comfort zone, but you don't need to have this massive breakdown to succeed. Thinking you do is just a setup for failure.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
People are scared of their inner monsters for some good reasons; very few people have the ability to control it, and there's a risk they would go full on and hurt themselves or someone they love.

Using anger to motivate yourself is a like using fire to clear out brush from a forest. It's effective, sure, but there's a chance a strong wind will turn it into a full blown forest fire Anger is good, rage is bad.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
This may be my last post here on mindset/motivation....

I hope you fail.

I hope you lose it all, you go broke, you become homeless, you get in debt, your health goes to shit, and you get everything you've ever built torn away, right from under you.

I hope you wind up dying in the wilderness one day without any clue how to pull yourself out of there.

I really do.

I've been on this journey for four years now, and as you can tell from some of my recent posts on the forum, that was exactly where I ended up last October.

I was at the top of the world, built a big business that impacted the lives of close to a million people. And then one day it crashed, the next week I got thousands of hate mails from a controversial article in a major magazine. I forget when the heart palpitations began. Definitely right after all the stress kicked in.

I had to turn into the keys in my apartment in Seattle, and I wound up almost dead in the middle of the wilderness of Glacier National Park.

That happened last October. It is now almost June.

I can't wait for you to fail.

Do you know why?

Because failure is your most valuable lesson. Failure is what pushes you to break free of your comfort zone and allows you transform yourself into the type of person you want to become.
  • You become that person who can maintain your calm, regardless of how chaotic or bad the situation you are in.
  • You become that person who can make anything from nothing.
  • You become that person who has no more fears, because you've faced them all.
  • You become that person who is capable of accomplishing anything in this life.
Do you know all those people you see on this forum who complain about the stupidest shit? I hope they fail, so they can get some perspective in life.

Do you know those people who are scared to send that email or make that phone call? I hope they fail big, so when they faced their worst possible fears, and pushed through, they won't be scared to pick up that phone, or talk to that stranger, or to take that leap.

When you stop deciding to complain like a little baby, dreaming of those "someday"'s, watching those motivational videos, gossiping about others, and when you stop doing all those 'feel good' tasks and go out and make something - You'll become the type of person who deserves success.

If you want to be successful, you're going to have to be willing to fail.

And I hope you do, because the person you become when you climb back up is the person you've always wanted to become.

The person who has no fears, and is free to accomplish anything.

Well at least that's where it led me.

I lived this.

I am the result of this.

All of it.

100%.

The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.

You know what Usain Bolt does, in training? He suffered. He suffers intensely.

In my earliest days of hustling, at the age of 19, I remember sleeping in my car... homeless, refusing to accept my parents financial support (contingent upon me continuing to go to college, instead of SELLING and MAKING MONEY).

It's like one of my brothers says:

F*ck online communities.

The people that spend time typing instead of practicing are usually scrubs, and this applies to everything.

Every single F*cking field.

Competitive online gaming, pickup, business, sports, dog training, style, kamasutra, language learning...

You gotta practice, practice, practice, practice...

The Way is in training.

From one thing, know ten thousand things.

F*ck advice, reason is faster.

When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see.

You must study hard.

You must train hard.

Only a master can comprehend the mental models of another master.

Bobby Fischer wouldn't spend time typing on online forums talking about chess.

He wouldn't learn anything from scrubs.

He wouldn't teach scrubs anything because his mental models of the game are too advanced, only a master could comprehend his thought process.

Who's gonna get better, the player who reads about playCounter Strike for 2000 hours or the guy who actually plays Counter Strike for 2000 hours?

Everything's the same thing, with a twist.

Who's the "Forum Superstar", usually?

The guy with the most posts.

And who is the guy with the most posts?

The nerd who isn't practicing.

F*ck him.

Less than average.

Besides, online communities are made up of average people.

No, let me rephrase that.

Forums and online communities are made up of less than average people, because they're actually socially retarded too.

The average person has an IQ of what, 100?

Why would I waste my time reading about the opinions of half-retarded dorks?

It makes no F*cking sense.

@AndrewNC is right, absolutely right, factually irrefutable in his claim that going through the worst of it will make you better.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

Yep, but he's had a coach since high school, and he has a relatively strict diet and workout plan. He suffers, yes, but he doesn't lose it all, he takes calculated risks.

@AndrewNC is right, absolutely right, factually irrefutable in his claim that going through the worst of it will make you better.

You both suffer from survivor bias. You're paying attention to your own success while ignoring the myriad of people who followed in a simlar path and ended with broken families, homes, and worse, suicides.

Bill Gates didn't drop out of Harvard to start Microsoft, he took a leave of abscence. Jobs was living with his parents and practicing Zen meditation when he took the steps that led to Apple's creation. Peter Thiel traded deratives before he launched Paypal. Musk founded his first company with money from his father. I can go on, but none of these men were driven to desperation, ill health, or bankruptcy. They took risks, but they were calculated.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Musk founded his first company with money from his father. I can go on, but none of these men were driven to desperation, ill health, or bankruptcy. They took risks, but they were calculated.

I couldn't find the whole diagram but the "money from his father" comment is a huge simplification of massive progress and a guy who kept going. I think he is going through, or about to begin, his second divorce right now. To the same women funnily enough.

Someone had a thread recently asking what a limiting belief was. MJ commented someone who looks at a guy with a nice car and says "he must be a trust fund kid" (or something similar). Your comment is full of the same - "but Usain had a coach!". I'm posting to make you aware of it, I am sure I have some too and I would also hope someone on here would do the same by making me aware of it.
Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 5.41.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 5.42.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 5.42.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 5.42.36 PM.png

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I couldn't find the whole diagram but the "money from his father" comment is a huge simplification of massive progress and a guy who kept going. I think he is going through, or about to begin, his second divorce right now. To the same women funnily enough.

Someone had a thread recently asking what a limiting belief was. MJ commented someone who looks at a guy with a nice car and says "he must be a trust fund kid" (or something similar). Your comment is full of the same - "but Usain had a coach!". I'm posting to make you aware of it, I am sure I have some too and I would also hope someone on here would do the same by making me aware of it.
View attachment 12533 View attachment 12532 View attachment 12531 View attachment 12530
You misunderstand my point. The fact that Usain had a coach, the fact that Musk had funding from his father are good things, not excuses. These men took and take calculated risks, they don't needlessy suffer, they don't force themselves to desperation or bankruptcy. They take risks that are analyzed with the support of mentors. They don't go it alone. They make smart choices knowing they need to conserve their energy for the long haul. You don't need to face bankruptcy or illness or desperation to succeed. Some of the best entrepreneurs have launched with solid backups plans and stable jobs. People seem to think you need to suffer to make it big, not realizing that solved of the most successful people haven't suffered at all.

Mentors, calculated risks, backup plans, there's a reason Paul Graham makes sure people n his program stay fit.

ejames

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Nov 5, 2015
New York
I lived this.

I am the result of this.

All of it.

100%.

The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.

In my earliest days of hustling, at the age of 19, I remember sleeping in my car... homeless, refusing to accept my parents financial support (contingent upon me continuing to go to college, instead of SELLING and MAKING MONEY).

It's like one of my brothers says:

F*ck online communities.

The people that spend time typing instead of practicing are usually scrubs, and this applies to everything.

Every single F*cking field.

Competitive online gaming, pickup, business, sports, dog training, style, kamasutra, language learning...

You gotta practice, practice, practice, practice...

The Way is in training.

From one thing, know ten thousand things.

F*ck advice, reason is faster.

When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see.

You must study hard.

You must train hard.

Only a master can comprehend the mental models of another master.

Bobby Fischer wouldn't spend time typing on online forums talking about chess.

He wouldn't learn anything from scrubs.

He wouldn't teach scrubs anything because his mental models of the game are too advanced, only a master could comprehend his thought process.

Who's gonna get better, the player who reads about playCounter Strike for 2000 hours or the guy who actually plays Counter Strike for 2000 hours?

Everything's the same thing, with a twist.

Who's the "Forum Superstar", usually?

The guy with the most posts.

And who is the guy with the most posts?

The nerd who isn't practicing.

F*ck him.

Less than average.

Besides, online communities are made up of average people.

No, let me rephrase that.

Forums and online communities are made up of less than average people, because they're actually socially retarded too.

The average person has an IQ of what, 100?

Why would I waste my time reading about the opinions of half-retarded dorks?

It makes no F*cking sense.

I disagree i hang out here to get ideas and share my journey, AND not to sidewalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.