The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

I have zero motivation to work after losing over $100,000

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Nov 20, 2014
Wow, this thread picked up more than I was expecting. Thank you everyone that offered advice, I read each of your posts numerous times. I agree I need a change in lifestyle for sure. I would like to note I wasn't always living with these bad habits like some posters are implying, it was only after my business was drastically declining. I had some work ethic before or else I wouldn't have made the money in the first place. The problem I face now is that even though I know what I have to do and want to do, I have no "drive" to do those things, and some posters explained why that could be which I agree with.

I also agree with @GoGetter24 when he says more stories of people in similar situations would inspire me the most. @Jakawan, @WJK, @Rich Wood have posted such personal stories. Other posters like @Roli, @Chx, @juba.hadjal, and @PetePreneur have posted VERY actionable advice that I will start implementing immediately.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

eekern

BOBA
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 21, 2015
Question, are you in shopify/dropshipping ?

If so, this could be a result that your business model don`t follow the CENTS

Shopify stores are the gold rush right now, people are throwing out numbers, infocourses are popping up each day, but sounds like you hit a trend aka found gold.

How did it stop ? Did other copied your product due low barrier of entry?

Or did the rise in Facebook ad cost or wholesaler prices made your spend go over KPI/ROAS due lack of control?

What ever it is you should find a solution, no one earn 100k by pure luck.

MAYBE you need to create your own product , you already know the ecommerence model, right ?

Start creating a brand or product that you can be proud to tell people about instead, that makes all the challenges seem small in comparison.

Yes! it involves stop chasing the quick cash and get a part time work, but 2-5 years from now you will be dept free and have a foundation that will last you a lifetime !

Making business decisions knowing your dept piled up is making you think way to small!

Think big, think long term. Let us know where you are in a couple of months.

PS: If you have a big list, you have untapped value if all you have emailed out is flash sales.

Start a 1 on 1 dialog with your list and ask what they want, need. Start there..

Last edited:

denzel

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 4, 2015
I also had some hard down phases. What always helped me is sports, the hardest part is to get up, once you're up and running it feels already better. Then change your mindset, you paid now 100K in your education, learn from it don't do the same mistakes again. Next time you have the 100K they will stay because you can do better decisions!

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
Wow, this thread picked up more than I was expecting. Thank you everyone that offered advice, I read each of your posts numerous times. I agree I need a change in lifestyle for sure. I would like to note I wasn't always living with these bad habits like some posters are implying, it was only after my business was drastically declining. I had some work ethic before or else I wouldn't have made the money in the first place. The problem I face now is that even though I know what I have to do and want to do, I have no "drive" to do those things, and some posters explained why that could be which I agree with.

I also agree with @GoGetter24 when he says more stories of people in similar situations would inspire me the most. @Jakawan, @WJK, @Rich Wood have posted such personal stories. Other posters like @Roli, @Chx, @juba.hadjal, and @PetePreneur have posted VERY actionable advice that I will start implementing immediately.
I'm really glad about this, I was thinking about you just this morning hoping that you get the strength to pull yourself out of it.

Take all the good advice and in a year you'll look back at this as a growing experience.

Keep smiling, it's a powerful drug! :)

MelanitaD

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 19, 2018
Alexandria, VA
www.imabreaker.com
Hey there @SweetTooth,

Two ideas for you:

1) Brush one tooth. In the book Habits, Charles Duhigg talks about setting a ridiculously easy daily goal in an area where you want to change behavior. So let's say you want to brush your teeth every night (so you're brushing twice a day). He says only commit to brushing at least one tooth every night. When you're tired ask yourself, "can I really not brush ONE tooth? Come on!" and then, once your toothbrush is in your mouth, you'll likely brush all teeth. What is the equivalent of "brushing one tooth" that you can commit to every day - a task that's so doable it's embarrassing if you say you can't do it.

2) Can you set two complimentary daily goals in other areas of your life where you have a little more momentum (e.g. hit the gym daily, make a green smoothie daily, or compliment your child daily, etc) and start implementing those? Sometimes, I just need to have something to replace the loafing with as a first step to making better choices with my time. That way, you can tell yourself "Netflix is off the table... Looks like we're washing a load of laundry." This won't work forever, but it may give you enough momentum to switch gears.

Good luck to you.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer, Crypto Guy
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I think you've probably burnt out from working super hard to make that first $100k, I don't doubt your ability and drive at all.

My suggestion is to find someone to work with, who could share your woes, hustle together, pay off your debts, create a follow-along here and let us help you, get your fire back again.

Losing $100k could make you more motivated than ever or it could cause it to go to zero.

Try to choose the former.

jmusic

Meep.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 4, 2015
Lots of very good comments here...

Every time I feel like that, without motivation or energy, I get around it by f!@#$% GETTING MAD.

Get mad! Don't take it anymore!

Watch, re-watch, act.
I prefer to think of it as getting determined. Light that fire under your behind!!

I know this might be action faking... but a good movie to watch that's sure to light your fire is Rocky III. After II Rocky was on top of the world, then gets the #@)% kicked out of him by Clubber Lang (Mr. T). Creed knocks the sense back in him...

The EL Maven

No longer life's passenger
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
This is classic learned helplessness. Unfortunately for me, I lived there before - more than once.

The gist is, you work hard and then something that you perceive to be out of your control takes away your just triumph and if this happens in a specific way, your will and enthusiasm go bye bye.

Here's the way back, from someone who has made their way back.
1. At least intellectually admit to yourself that the way you're responding doesn't reflect the reality that YOU and ONLY YOU will determine your destination in life.
A sailboat doesn't reach its destination because it had tail winds the entire time, no-no, the crew had to adjust and make changes if the wind works against them - and eventually they reach their goal. It's the set of the sail that determines the destination, NOT the direction of the wind.
2. Pick something easy that you can make a goal. Make sure it's an actual goal that takes some form of work (quitting something won't work for this unless you're actively replacing the behavior) - then get started on achieving that goal.
3. Find something else you can control and go after that.

Pretty soon you will have some success momentum. Use that momentum to carry you. Build it as much as needed with small victories until you're ready to make the bigger moves.

Set a goal. Then another. Always, ALWAYS have a goal. Without a goal, you're the yacht floating in the wind.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
The US seems very lenient on bankruptcy though. In other countries it's pretty common to have restrictions like not being able to leave the country without permission, losing access to credit cards, needing permission to open bank accounts, needing permission for certain expenditures, etc. It's usually a big weight until it's discharged, not just "OK do-over, slate insta-clean!".
When I worked in the IT department at a bank, I learned a lot about this. If there is a reorganization plan, the plan must be followed. If there is a plan to wipe out the debt, it's either very difficult or very expensive for the next several years to get credit, or major loans. If there's not a current passport, tax debts might block the ability to get a new one.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
SweetTooth, you're in a rut. To get out of a rut, do something different.

McDonald's probably opens at 5:30 am for breakfast. How about if you're there at 6? Have your only coffee of the day with your breakfast, read the newspaper, do the crossword and the Sudoku to keep your mind sharp. Then get out pen and paper (leave the computer at home, turn off phone data) and journal a while, with free refills, to clear the clutter out of your mind about what went wrong and what would need to change for things to go right. Also, write a page about what you currently see as the pluses and minuses of succeeding again at ecommerce, this time intentionally, compared to working the breakfast shift at McDonald's for the rest of your life.

Have a workout at 8 am. Swim, bike, run, gym, aerobics class, whatever works for you. Listen to totally inspiring music.

Make your work day start at 10. If you have nothing to do and nobody to serve or help and no ideas, get out your pen and paper and write out the words, "So far today I have nothing to do, nobody to serve or help, and no ideas. Could there be something better than this for me by tomorrow?" Eventually you will have some idea of someone you can help and something you can do.

Get online for the first time at 1 pm. 20 minutes for email, forum, and other messages, only the ones that can help you get healthy, alert, focused, making money, and helping other people. Everything else can wait. Then an hour for something you can watch or read or listen to, that helps you reset your mindset. I recommend the podcasts and videos from MJ, Andy Black, Fox, and Eliquid. If you think of something you want to comment on or ask them about, write it down as part of your plan for what you'll do tomorrow at 1 pm.

Take a half hour walk at 2:30, no headphones, to clear your mind and organize your thoughts. If you encounter any friendly dogs or cats along the way, stop to pet them.

Sometime between 3 and dinner, do something to help someone who you can't realistically expect will ever be able to pay you back or bring you any fame.

After dinner, chill out with whatever silly Internet, TV shows, etc. is fun for you, guilt-free... remembering that you have a business breakfast appointment at 6 am tomorrow morning.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom