The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Have A Productocracy

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

Deleted2BB3x9

I have established a need for a new product. All i did was post some stock pictures of my product on my Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Then, people started sending me private messages and private emails. In addition, I have been getting a lot of comments and shares. I have also collected an email list of 46 people so far who are interested in my product. And, all I used was simple stock pictures and a simple caption. This indicates is doesn't really matter about your pictures or captions, it's always about the product. Sure, pictures and captions matter but not as much as the product.

When did you find out you had a productocracy and how did you know?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
When I put up a simple survey on a Facebook group and had 100 replies in under 3 hours.

People's responses were, "make it, we will buy it. "

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
When I put up a simple survey on a Facebook group and had 100 replies in under 3 hours.

People's responses were, "make it, we will buy it. "

If you put up a fake order page, do the same number of people actually try to place an order? I mention this because I often hear that people who *say* they will buy something - will not actually buy it, and the only true measure is to see how many people actually *try* to place an order.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
If you put up a fake order page, do the same number of people actually try to place an order? I mention this because I often hear that people who *say* they will buy something - will not actually buy it, and the only true measure is to see how many people actually *try* to place an order.

There are a few reasons why I won't do this and why it would hurt me if I tried. The reasons aren't relevant here.

But the market that I am currently entering has a white space so huge it's not even funny.

This is a gamble I have no problem sinking money into to see if I can validate it.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
I put an ad in a local magazine & started getting calls & people placing orders. I advertised in a few issues before the company cancelled the magazine.

My business still continued to grow though.

Today, my business still grows from repeat customers & word of mouth.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Bump. This could be a great thread.

I'm up to 103 emails now. The demand for my product is there.
I've even had people ask for stickers now as they want to help advertise the brand.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
When news sources/publications/influencers reach out to you, and ask if it's ok to do a story or share your stuff.

When customers will exchange dollars for a "pre-order", knowing they won't receive the product for months.

When a single facebook share turns into dozens, because your product is so different/interesting/new/awesome.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

When news sources/publications/influencers reach out to you, and ask if it's ok to do a story or share your stuff.

When customers will exchange dollars for a "pre-order", knowing they won't receive the product for months.

When a single facebook share turns into dozens, because your product is so different/interesting/new/awesome.

I've actually had one influencer reach out to me on Twitter and asked if I wanted a product review. I don't even have the product yet.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I've actually had one influencer reach out to me on Twitter and asked if I wanted a product review. I don't even have the product yet.

Neither do I.

edit: I guess that's not entirely true. I have one sample.

When your pre-orders cover the payment to the manufacturer.... you might have a productacracy.

Last edited:

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I'll post renderings on facebook and Instagram as a sneak peek. Sometimes I'll write "DM (direct message) for details." I always get responses like "PUT ME ON THE LIST," or "I WANT ONE!" If enough people are interested, I open pre-orders to secure buyers, guarantee them a product. Those are the first clues.

How do I know it's a productocracy? Messages from strangers (prospective buyers), recommendations from friends and customers. People posting, talking about, and tagging the brand on social media to show off their gear. People asking what we're working on next, wanting soft-goods to "rep the brand."

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I'll post renderings on facebook and Instagram as a sneak peek. Sometimes I'll write "DM (direct message) for details." I always get responses like "PUT ME ON THE LIST," or "I WANT ONE!" If enough people are interested, I open pre-orders to secure buyers, guarantee them a product. Those are the first clues.

How do I know it's a productocracy? Messages from strangers (prospective buyers), recommendations from friends and customers. People posting, talking about, and tagging the brand on social media to show off their gear. People asking what we're working on next, wanting soft-goods to "rep the brand."

I like the render with DM for details... I'm going to do this for our new product in development! It'll be a good way to mix up the insta feed.

For people trying to chase money with me too products... let me tell you, doing it the way @Marc B. describes is WAY more fun.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
WAY more fun.
You pulled this right outta my head. Having a productocracy is clean, honest fun. You're doing right by your customers and getting rewarded for it. It's an amazing, self-perpetuating cycle of exchanging value.

oldirty

Shark Hunter
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
May 14, 2017
USA
How about Kickstarter campaigns? Never done one myself, but seems like a decent way to validate a productocracy. People come to your page knowing that you're product is not ready yet and willing give their dollars to support your project in hopes of receiving the product when finished.

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
How about Kickstarter campaigns? Never done one myself, but seems like a decent way to validate a productocracy. People come to your page knowing that you're product is not ready yet and willing give their dollars to support your project in hopes of receiving the product when finished.

Kickstarter campaign is a great validation tool. But these days you need a working prototype, professional video and a pretty big pre-launch list to do it.
Don't mean to say it's impossible, but takes way more time and money than the other methods.

About renderings:
What is your experience in terms of interest? I mean having a rendered picture of your product vs. actual photo.

I'm asking because I'm in the process on validation myself.

And by having rendered pictures of my product, I get a steady 13-14% conversion rate to my mailing list from highly targeted audience.

I'm thinking it should be around 25% for me to be comfortable about moving forward with the product.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
About renderings:
What is your experience in terms of interest? I mean having a rendered picture of your product vs. actual photo.
You asking me? Both gather a bunch of interest, but I think customers prefer the actual product photo because they know it exists. It's not vaporware, and having a prototype usually means you're one step closer to production.

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
Bump. This could be a great thread.
I've even had people ask for stickers now as they want to help advertise the brand.

My sister company can do die-cut decals if you are looking for decals. Best quality.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.