The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I called the potential fastlane mentors phone number, now Im confused as shit...

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
We had a surprise seminar in out school with a person, who I could only presume had become a part of the fastlane. He was talking about making his own multi-million business, meditating in the mountain of Nepal, the whole nine yards. From the start I knew that I should do everything in my power to get a contact from this guy...

This was a while ago, maybe October 2022, but the most surprising thing of all of it, was the fact that "if we were interested"in what he was saying, he just gave out his phone number...

And for all of these months I've been thinking of contacting him, but I just can't figure out, how it should go down. Do I call? Do I send a message? Do I ask him for his e-mail first? What's the contents of the message? Do I already have to come to him with a business idea for him to consider mentoring me? How does this whole thing happen? Over the span of hours, days, months, years? What do I express the most enthusiasm for - his speech, relatability, goals? How do I make this potential mentor in to a real, life-altering mentor? And all in all, what exactly would I recieve, if I were to be "mentored"?

Continuation: I called him just now and wanted to know more about the type of meditation he does - which was zen- because I am also interested in meditation... Where all this took a left turn, was when suddenly the disccusion was no longer about business, but about how to become enlightened with zen meditation. He started sending me contacts with teachers od mediationa and indroduced me to a zen mediation school which he is also a teacher in, saying how worthy it is - and i don't really doubt that practicing meditation does come with its own fare share of positives in the business sphere, I just don't really get the idea, that this dude is realy psyhced to tell me how to build and sustain a banger business, what do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
We had a surprise seminar in out school with a person, who I could only presume had become a part of the fastlane. He was talking about making his own multi-million business, meditating in the mountain of Nepal, the whole nine yards. From the start I knew that I should do everything in my power to get a contact from this guy...

This was a while ago, maybe October 2022, but the most surprising thing of all of it, was the fact that "if we were interested"in what he was saying, he just gave out his phone number...

And for all of these months I've been thinking of contacting him, but I just can't figure out, how it should go down. Do I call? Do I send a message? Do I ask him for his e-mail first? What's the contents of the message? Do I already have to come to him with a business idea for him to consider mentoring me? How does this whole thing happen? Over the span of hours, days, months, years? What do I express the most enthusiasm for - his speech, relatability, goals? How do I make this potential mentor in to a real, life-altering mentor? And all in all, what exactly would I recieve, if I were to be "mentored"?

What do you want?

What could you offer him?

Answer those two questions, then place the call. Be open to any possibility.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
What do you want?

Answer those two questions, then place the call. Be open to any possibility

Remember, you're a school student that just got introduced to him by the school. Many students will try to call and contact him like you. It's just like what Bizydad says, what do you ACTUALLY want? A mentor? A teacher? A buddy? And what value can you add to him? Being a free helper? Learning from him from experience while getting paid less?

If you want a mentor, say it. No one doesn't like to be a mentor. Don't overcomplicate it and just do it. Good luck though!

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Send him a mail first and tell that you want to help him with little jobs and that you'd be interested in learning and networking. If he doesn't answer, call him.

Like Bizydad said: you must know want you can bring him. Be willing to bring value will give you an edge over your schoolmates. Entreprenneurship is always about the value you bring. If you want mentorship it is good to bring value to him. You could even get paid.

Be polite, don't complicate things and like he said too: be open to any possibility.

You can't know how you 2 could help each other without trying and establishing contact first.

Some nice things may happen.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
When people with low self esteem contact me they start off asking for help and see it like a mentorship.

When people with high self esteem contact me they try to setup some sort of time to hangout or do something fun and then casually talk about their business while being an equal, chatting with a friend.

I've probably had about 500 hours of business discussion with a close friend of mine, but it's always on the side. We go up in the woods and shoot guns, ride jet skis at my house, go get lunch and chat in his showroom, etc. We've each received and given million dollar advice to each other.

Right now you're just fanboying over some dude who makes more money than you. It's a little weird. He will definitely be less inclined to spend time with you, unless he likes charity work in the form of talking to his fans.

"I'm gonna be in your area this week, you free to meetup and chat?" Not cringey, not fanboy-y, not desperate, not over complicated. He's a millionaire (upper middle class), he's not Tom Cruise.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

meditating in the mountain of Nepal
Red flag.

Also Red Flag.

Who on Gods green earth makes millions of dollars and is just like 'yo call me'

They're too busy killing it then chatting it up with randos (unless he's trying to sell you something).

Wombat

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 11, 2022
Vic, AU
What was his talk focussed on?
Was it all about the money and lifestyle? Was it all about 'event' (with an implied 'you can have this too!') or was it about 'process', value delivered and lessons learnt?
If it was 'event', I'd be very cautious - it might be a sales pitch to an audience chosen because they are young and so more likely to be inexperienced at detecting a snake-oil salesman.
It might be a great opportunity, just keep your guard up.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Red flag.

Also Red Flag.

They're too busy killing it then chatting it up with randos (unless he's trying to sell you something).

I have a friend who does this. He is occasionally asked to speak to students and if he feels the situation warrants (like speaking to college kids vs 3rd graders).

He likes the idea of "paying it forward" for the next generation. No strings. It makes him feel good to help. And contrary to what you say, he's got the time. He already killed it, so to speak. Maybe he's an exception, but I like to think not...

Now here's the thing...

No one ever calls.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
He sounds like a good dude. Can I call him?

I'll ask next time I see him. We're having lunch in a couple weeks.

Wait...

You don't want to sell him something, do you? :rofl::innocent: :halo:

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Talking about a millionaire mentor, whenever I meet someone new, I always wonder if they are in the fastlane forum or knows MJ DeMarco. Whoever is in the fastlane forum in real life, I would want to be friends with them!

beres8011

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
May 2, 2023
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Here is a possible idea. See if your mentor has published anything, read it and send him a comment about the item you read. Phrase your comments in such a manner that it might elicit a response from him. If the person responds, you have made a connection.

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
What do you want?

Answer those two questions, then place the call. Be open to any possibility.
I want him to mentor me through how to make a solid business, how to become financially free, how to network with people. About the offering though? I don't really know what I can say - a ruthless worker, who tries his best to achieve the neccesary results, learning from my mistakes and who keep pushing when everyone else gave up? Or are we talking more of my skills? How should such a text look like?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
He didn't give you his number for you to NOT call it
I guess I get that, but wouldn't it seem less pushy to text him instead? Calling seem way more interruptive don't it? And when I do call, do I say: 'hello, could we meet up sometime? I want you to mentor me...yadda, yadda"? How do I bring up the topic of him mentoring me and helping me develop myself, whist not sounding like a leech on his time?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
Remember, you're a school student that just got introduced to him by the school. Many students will try to call and contact him like you. It's just like what Bizydad says, what do you ACTUALLY want? A mentor? A teacher? A buddy? And what value can you add to him? Being a free helper? Learning from him from experience while getting paid less?

If you want a mentor, say it. No one doesn't like to be a mentor. Don't overcomplicate it and just do it. Good luck though!
I do want a mentor, (but whats the difference between a mentor and teacher exactly?) and I wouldn't mind him being a buddy (most likely he would though) it's just that as you said - what vaule will I be able to bring him? I don't really know what business owners find as valuable. I might even posses one or more of the needed value, just that I don't know what to offer? Skills? Experience? Motivation? Attentivness? I have a lot of questions about all this.

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
When people with low self esteem contact me they start off asking for help and see it like a mentorship.

When people with high self esteem contact me they try to setup some sort of time to hangout or do something fun and then casually talk about their business while being an equal, chatting with a friend.

I've probably had about 500 hours of business discussion with a close friend of mine, but it's always on the side. We go up in the woods and shoot guns, ride jet skis at my house, go get lunch and chat in his showroom, etc. We've each received and given million dollar advice to each other.

Right now you're just fanboying over some dude who makes more money than you. It's a little weird. He will definitely be less inclined to spend time with you, unless he likes charity work in the form of talking to his fans.

"I'm gonna be in your area this week, you free to meetup and chat?" Not cringey, not fanboy-y, not desperate, not over complicated. He's a millionaire (upper middle class), he's not Tom Cruise.
I understand where your coming form, but my idea is to do just that - not sound needy and fanboy-y , but still show the right amount of respect as to let him know that no matter my invite I think of him highly (or is that exactly the opposite of what, for instance YOU would be looking for?)

Because showing up in his text messages, this number he's never seen before, just asking him to go out sometime, as if I were a close friend or family member, might come across as overzealous to him, making him think that I'm this narcissistic a**hole, when in reality I just want him to help me reach the fastlane.

But you mentioning the fact that the people you meet "casually talk about their business" whilst you spend time together makes me think - do I have to have a business to make him interested in talking to me? Cause I only have a few potential ideas for business and quite frankly wanted to see, what he himself has to say about the idea generation of the whole ordeal...Is that enough though? A few ideas and an undying yearn to learn from his experience and point of view?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
Here is a possible idea. See if your mentor has published anything, read it and send him a comment about the item you read. Phrase your comments in such a manner that it might elicit a response from him. If the person responds, you have made a connection.
Thank you for this idea, because I just looked around and saw that he has written a few articles on a mediation website, that I could potentially makes some comments about, now the question is - what kind of comment should it be: positive? constructively critical? Should be it be about his business as a whole? Its achievements? Him as a person? His beliefs, rituals? And how would such a comment sound, if there wasn't a question involved? and what do I do from there? Just chat him up as any other person in my contacts and not as a millionare?

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I do want a mentor, (but whats the difference between a mentor and teacher exactly?) and I wouldn't mind him being a buddy (most likely he would though) it's just that as you said - what vaule will I be able to bring him? I don't really know what business owners find as valuable. I might even posses one or more of the needed value, just that I don't know what to offer? Skills? Experience? Motivation? Attentivness? I have a lot of questions about all this.
A business/life coach once told me: A teacher teaches what you should do, a mentor tells you what to do exactly.

No need to think so much. You're literally a student, he should expect some calls that comes towards him from the speech. Btw, have you even called him yet? Don't overcomplicate this, it's just a phone call, ask him if he needs any help. If you keep overcomplicate this, someone might call him and he might not even need you after that. So you better call him fast and don't think so much. Questions to ask yourself:
1)Is there any value I can provide? Promote his business? If you can't, it's fine.
2)What am you looking for? A fastlane mentor? Be specific and know what you want

Don't overcomplicate this. Ask chatgpt if you still don't understand.

And as always, good luck

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Dec 9, 2016
I understand where your coming form, but my idea is to do just that - not sound needy and fanboy-y , but still show the right amount of respect as to let him know that no matter my invite I think of him highly (or is that exactly the opposite of what, for instance YOU would be looking for?)

Because showing up in his text messages, this number he's never seen before, just asking him to go out sometime, as if I were a close friend or family member, might come across as overzealous to him, making him think that I'm this narcissistic a**hole, when in reality I just want him to help me reach the fastlane.

But you mentioning the fact that the people you meet "casually talk about their business" whilst you spend time together makes me think - do I have to have a business to make him interested in talking to me? Cause I only have a few potential ideas for business and quite frankly wanted to see, what he himself has to say about the idea generation of the whole ordeal...Is that enough though? A few ideas and an undying yearn to learn from his experience and point of view?
I have a feeling that if you don't have a business, you'll be out of talk very quickly. otherwise it will very soon turn into a what if… conversation.
(You could ask his advice in potential ideas, in my opinion i would rather ask the ideas here in the forum.)

it is easier/more interesting to give tactical and practical advice as a mentor. Unless you would benefit from some kind of life coaching session...

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
A business/life coach once told me: A teacher teaches what you should do, a mentor tells you what to do exactly.

No need to think so much. You're literally a student, he should expect some calls that comes towards him from the speech. Btw, have you even called him yet? Don't overcomplicate this, it's just a phone call, ask him if he needs any help. If you keep overcomplicate this, someone might call him and he might not even need you after that. So you better call him fast and don't think so much. Questions to ask yourself:
1)Is there any value I can provide? Promote his business? If you can't, it's fine.
2)What am you looking for? A fastlane mentor? Be specific and know what you want

Don't overcomplicate this. Ask chatgpt if you still don't understand.

And as always, good luck
Thanks for the quick response. No, I haven't called him and I get your approach and I am planning to call him very soon. I just have to mull over what I would say and how I could ask for him to be my mentor? And wouldn't you think a text would be better, just so he could potentially read over everything I said, instead of it being one of the many phone calls a millionare gets in a day?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
I have a feeling that if you don't have a business, you'll be out of talk very quickly. otherwise it will very soon turn into a what if… conversation.
(You could ask his advice in potential ideas, in my opinion i would rather ask the ideas here in the forum.)

it is easier/more interesting to give tactical and practical advice as a mentor. Unless you would benefit from some kind of life coaching session...
As said in another post, he does dabble in the art of mediation so the learning possibilities stretch far beyond just business, while that also being one of the main reasons to chat I defenitely don't think it will be the only one. And I think it could be quite beneficial to get mentored through the proccess of starting a business too, not just idea testing by itself. And talking about the ideas, doesn't idea theft happen here? Hasn't there been a time somebody told everyone of the plan they have for their business, and then got that idea stolen?

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Dec 9, 2016
As said in another post, he does dabble in the art of mediation so the learning possibilities stretch far beyond just business, while that also being one of the main reasons to chat I defenitely don't think it will be the only one. And I think it could be quite beneficial to get mentored through the proccess of starting a business too, not just idea testing by itself. And talking about the ideas, doesn't idea theft happen here? Hasn't there been a time somebody told everyone of the plan they have for their business, and then got that idea stolen?
Idea theft happens everywhere, if you want to do something that has never been done before, it is best to keep this to yourself indeed..

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Arma cut the bullshit. call the dude. now. quit making it out to be something bigger than it is.
leave a good v/m. if you get him, thank him for the number and let him know you are not sure what to do next.

@Mike Partee i hand out my card EVERY time i speak to students. i chastise them to have already connected with me on linkedin before i can walk back to the front of the room. a small % actually call. the ones that do, we do podcasts / find them jobs / change their lives. it is what i do. no red flags. i'll give anyone 5 minutes. 404-216-0140
you should do the same.

@Arma have you F*cking called the guy? quit reading and posting and dial and hit send. LFG!!

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
"Hey (dudes name), my name is Arma. I got your number back in October when you spoke to our class in (name of school). I really liked your talk and haven't stopped thinking about personal development and starting a business since then. If it would be cool with you I'd love to meet up for a coffee to learn more and maybe I might even be of help to you in your business! Thanks"

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
Idea theft happens everywhere, if you want to do something that has never been done before, it is best to keep this to yourself indeed..
But it would be a better bet to talk with a mentor rather than a fourm full of people to get an idea of whether the a business could have potential, wouldn't it?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
"Hey (dudes name), my name is Arma. I got your number back in October when you spoke to our class in (name of school). I really liked your talk and haven't stopped thinking about personal development and starting a business since then. If it would be cool with you I'd love to meet up for a coffee to learn more and maybe I might even be of help to you in your business! Thanks"
Bro, I think this answered all of my questions in one go. Because I was thikning of whether to go on a long and deep story of my background and shit, but it seems that a few short sentences can get the idea across perfectly. Thank you.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

He likes the idea of "paying it forward" for the next generation. No strings. It makes him feel good to help. And contrary to what you say, he's got the time. He already killed it, so to speak. Maybe he's an exception, but I like to think not...

Now here's the thing...

No one ever calls.

C'mon Mike. I do this all the time. Hell, YOU have my number -- how many times have you called me in the past 6-7 years? (I prefer text, but you get my drift :rofl:).

I also had my cell phone on the bottom of my worksheets I gave out to hundreds of thousands of people... and TOLD them about it... guess how many ever called?

I can count them... and you and I both know I can't count that high

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
C'mon Mike. I do this all the time. Hell, YOU have my number -- how many times have you called me in the past 6-7 years? (I prefer text, but you get my drift :rofl:).

I also had my cell phone on the bottom of my worksheets I gave out to hundreds of thousands of people... and TOLD them about it... guess how many ever called?

I can count them... and you and I both know I can't count that high
Are there any charecteristics that seperate a caller with potential and someone who just would not be ready for the fastlane?

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Are there any charecteristics that seperate a caller with potential and someone who just would not be ready for the fastlane?
You are worrying too much. You are overthinking.

There is no such thing as perfect. Stop trying to make your approach perfect. Stop worrying about how you could maximize this opportunity to the fullest.

You've been given a lot of good advice in this thread already.

You started this thread on Monday. It is now Friday.

It's time to stop questioning and take ACTION.

(And to answer your question that's one characteristic that separates the people with potential from the ones who aren't ready).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.