The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hurricane Irma

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Broward FL-
640 PM EDT SAT SEP 9 2017

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM EDT FOR
NORTHEASTERN BROWARD COUNTY...

At 640 PM EDT, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado was
located over Lazy Lake, or near Fort Lauderdale, moving west at 35
mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mal0ni

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 12, 2017
Toronto

Mal0ni

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 12, 2017
Toronto
Can't help but wonder which oil behemoth is paying CNN to hyperbolize the conditions... spurring gasoline and plastic bottle consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude look what it did to Saint Martin and other Caribbean islands, they are destroyed!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqAAk2QNWIw

Fast forward 9 days, this is what Jose might look like, a gigantic monster! I wonder why nobody's talking about it.
Jose Monday Sept 18th.png

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Dude look what it did to Saint Martin and other Caribbean islands, they are destroyed!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqAAk2QNWIw

Fast forward 9 days, this is what Jose might look like, a gigantic monster! I wonder why nobody's talking about it.
View attachment 16275
Too far in the future, plus NHC has it circling itself out in the Atlantic for a whille

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

The Normalcy Bias, or normality bias, is a mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster and its possible effects, because it causes people to have a bias to believe that things will always function the way things normally function.

According to the normalcy bias, because Ebola in the USA, like most pandemics, amounted to very little, those who took measured precautions or monitored the situation "overreacted." Surely, this will always be the case. No pandemic will ever impact the USA, and anyone who takes simple precautions is a fool. This is why no one ever buys fire insurance for their homes or car insurance for their vehicles.

This is also why my sister isn't evacuating.

In her mind, she's been through this before, and it was no biggie. When her kids were in gradeschool, a hurricane was bearing down on them. Last-minute, she and my brother went to the store for plywood. They were out. So they spent their plywood money on beer and had a wonderful time, especially because the hurricane missed them. They had a good chuckle over that one. And then, a few years after that, she rode out a category-two hurricane. And it was fine.

So it will always be fine. Yesterday, I was urging her to leave. She said, "You DO know it's still sunny out, right? *snicker, snicker*." I said, "Yes, which means it's the perfect time to leave. You don't want to wait until the roads are flooded." She said, "Oh, we know which roads flood. If it comes to that, we'll be fine. We have a big truck. Stop worrying!"

Do I believe my sister will die in this hurricane? No. In truth, the odds are decent that she'll survive in her own home (or leave for a friend's house last-minute) and have a great story to tell someday. But why risk it? Why not take simple steps to protect yourself while you can?

But she isn't. Because of normalcy bias. It's always been fine, so this time will be fine, too. It's a great plan if the pattern holds. But every once in a while, the pattern breaks, and those who were snickering at "worry-warts" who "overreacted" get washed away or get to enjoy a nice, unique death by explosive anal bleeding. Why play the odds if precautions are relatively cheap and easy to come by?

(EDIT: I should add that my sister is in an "A" evacuation zone. This is the most-severe level. But hey, she'll be fine, because she has a truck.)
That is so frustrating to hear.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
The Normalcy Bias, or normality bias, is a mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster and its possible effects, because it causes people to have a bias to believe that things will always function the way things normally function.

This Houston guy's neighbors probably thought he was overreacting when he put a makeshift dam around his house. (from 2016 floods)

damn-793x525.jpg

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
This Houston guy's neighbors probably thought he was overreacting when he put a makeshift dam around his house. (from 2016 floods)

damn-793x525.jpg
Is that an inflatable dam or what? Pretty damn cool. I'll see myself out...

Some people will always be more prepared than others. Hopefully those who are prepared help their neighbors as much as they can afford to.

Is Tampa Bay still ground zero? It's hard to get pertinent info up here in New England....

Best wishes and prayers to all you folks in the path of Irma. Stay safe.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Can't help but wonder which oil behemoth is paying CNN to hyperbolize the conditions... spurring gasoline and plastic bottle consumption.

Never put someone on "ignore" over a single comment before... but congratulations, you just won the prize.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Description of a category 3 hurricane from wikipedia:

Devastating damage will occur

Tropical cyclones of Category 3 and higher are described as major hurricanes in the Atlantic or Eastern Pacific basins. These storms can cause some structural damage to small residences and utility buildings, particularly those of wood frame or manufactured materials with minor curtain wall failures. Buildings that lack a solid foundation, such as mobile homes, are usually destroyed, and gable-end roofs are peeled off. Manufactured homes usually sustain severe and irreparable damage. Flooding near the coast destroys smaller structures, while larger structures are struck by floating debris. A large number of trees are uprooted or snapped, isolating many areas. Additionally, terrain may be flooded well inland. Near-total to total power loss is likely for up to several weeks and water will likely also be lost or contaminated

Anyone still think the media is over-hyping it?

Please stay safe my peeps.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Am I supposed to... care?
This thread isn't about your opinion of the oil industry.

There are real people, some are members of this forum, who are going to be caught in the path of this hurricane. Their homes and towns are going to be severely damaged, if not destroyed by this storm.

This thread is to discuss the itinerary of Irma, and to keep in touch with forum members.

If you want to talk about market manipulation by the oil industry, go start your own thread.

D

Deleted50669

This thread isn't about your opinion of the oil industry.

There are real people, some are members of this forum, who are going to be caught in the path of this hurricane. Their homes and towns are going to be severely damaged, if not destroyed by this storm.

This thread is to discuss the itinerary of Irma, and to keep in touch with forum members.

If you want to talk about market manipulation by the oil industry, go start your own thread.

I'll talk about whatever I damn well please. If I'm not mistaken this forum isn't sponsored by North Korea.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Is Tampa Bay still ground zero? It's hard to get pertinent info up here in New England....

Best wishes and prayers to all you folks in the path of Irma. Stay safe.

Possibly. The hurricane might make landfall a little south of Tampa Bay, but could pass over Downtown Tampa as a Category 3. There would be damage and lost homes (maybe the one I live in?), however homes built after 1993 would be mostly fine from Cat 3 wind. The bigger issue is storm surge, once Irma reaches north Florida the back winds will push water right up Tampa Bay.

I'm 5 miles from Downtown Tampa. Too anxious to sleep.

FYI: "Mike's Weather Page" on Facebook is a great source for storm updates.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
When did I disrespect the hurricane victims? I was criticizing the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interjecting your opinion of sleazy business practices between oil companies and the MSM is disrespectful.

That is not what this thread is about.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. Just asking that you acknowledge that this is not an appropriate place or time for the discussion you are looking to have.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Possibly. The hurricane might make landfall a little south of Tampa Bay, but could pass over Downtown Tampa as a Category 3. There would be damage and lost homes (maybe the one I live in?), however homes built after 1993 would be mostly fine from Cat 3 wind. The bigger issue is storm surge, once Irma reaches north Florida the back winds will push water right up Tampa Bay.

I'm 5 miles from Downtown Tampa. Too anxious to sleep.

FYI: "Mike's Weather Page" on Facebook is a great source for storm updates.

Hey, shoot me a PM.

And @G-Man I had enough of his shit too. Last thing I need is people telling me how losing my home is just a conspiracy from oil companies. Ironic how @Vigilante, a mod, is also in the path if hurricane. Hint hint.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I hope everyone down there is safe. Wishing my friends, their families, and anyone else the best of luck riding this storm out.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Hey, shoot me a PM.

And @G-Man I had enough of his shit too. Last thing I need is people telling me how losing my home is just a conspiracy from oil companies. Ironic how @Vigilante, a mod, is also in the path if hurricane. Hint hint.

Thanks man. I went to the office, can withstand a cat 5 and is in zone D, not sure if the house will make it though.

EDIT: Looks like this will be a cat 1 or cat 2 windspeed. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Thanks man. I went to the office, can withstand a cat 5 and is in zone D, not sure if the house will make it though.

EDIT: Looks like this will be a cat 1 or cat 2 windspeed. Fingers crossed.

In Clermont currently just west of Orlando and latest I saw on news is since it is making landfall a little south of where originally excepted (Naples area versus Tampa) it will weaken faster. Hopefully your home will be safe and secure. I came back to Florida to help many of my friends out and my family and got stuck myself. Interestingly I was in Austin last week contributing to Harvey victims and helping where I could.

These storms are no joke. Even when they are Cat 1. Tropical storms alone harbor and hide tornados. The affect on peoples lives are devastating. In over 30 years of living in Florida I never ever got used to it. I lost one of my very homes to Andrew. I am pretty peeved anyone would link that devastation up to some political or conspiratorial BS. It is awful, and what happens after the storms are awful but there are damn good people out there banding together to help each other out.

When you see pictures of looting and awful things happening on TV, remember there are more people, neighbors, just in the area, helping each other out with basic needs. Keeping people safe. Sharing food and water. Getting to know each other. Rebuilding. It doesn't make sensationalist stories but they are there and there are more of them than bad.

Let's just keep focusing on that good and keep the negative out. There is enough negativity just dealing with these storms. I am here and I am going through it, and I will be here to help my neighbors when it is done as I know so many other good people on this very Thread will be. All the best my fellow Fastlaners and godspeed!

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
I live north of Atlanta and it's eerily quite here. Slightly windier than normal, no birds, no animal sounds and you can smell a big storm coming.

We have tons of people from Florida driving in this area, even here a lot of stores are wiped out of bottled water and gas prices went up. I had someone cancel my AirBnB rental last night due to gas shortages, not even an hour later I had 2 different families try to book around the same time.

I believe the damage will be substantial but thankfully not as much as initially forecast. I'll be waiting to see how much rain and wind comes from the "leftovers" of this hurricane. It's still forecast to be a tropical storm when it enters GA.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
If there is anything good at all in all of this is that the latest 5PM news update discussion shows Irma significantly weakening faster than originally thought. It is still a dangerous hurricane, but the faster it weakens the better for everyone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.