The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hundreds In Ad Spend - ZERO Sales

Marketing, social media, advertising

Young Money

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 27, 2018
Canada
Hi there,
No expert here, as I am just getting started in this stuff myself.

Everything looks cheap and amateurish.
The website looks like the cheapest template. What makes it worst is the pictures in it do not have a high resolution/quality, thus immediately diminishing my confidence in the product. If you are selling stylish stuff your website should look top notch stylish.
Like everyone pointed out, you want models to wear the glasses, cute women and handsome men. Definitely dont want to show 2 pictures with a white background, 2 on a picknick table and one on a cheap wood surface (did I say cheap already :).
The add, same idea like in the website, needs to be super stylish especially since you are in the fashion game. If Im gonna pay top dollar, it better look like top dollar.

You have got pretty tough competition with websites like zenni selling high quality prescription eyewear for as little as $12 (seriously, thats how much I paid for a pair back when). Now I buy these twenty something dollar eyeglasses that people think are designer..

Of course, just trying to help here, not to talk crap.
Try to take it as learning, instead of getting down on it.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the constructive critiques. And I take no offense in your bluntness haha I get it, it looks CHEAP!!

$12 for a pair of prescription eyeglasses, seriously? That is unbelievably cheap, wow.

Luxury eyewear could be a tough sell these days. Even my girlfriend's optical office she works at is struggling big time to get a few sales a week! They must be bleeding money like crazy right now.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback and wish you the best!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Thanks for the constructive critiques. And I take no offense in your bluntness haha I get it, it looks CHEAP!!

$12 for a pair of prescription eyeglasses, seriously? That is unbelievably cheap, wow.

Luxury eyewear could be a tough sell these days. Even my girlfriend's optical office she works at is struggling big time to get a few sales a week! They must be bleeding money like crazy right now.

That's because the market for direct-to-consumer eCommerce for most products is dead. $12 is not cheap. $3 or less is.

prescription glasses - Temu (and all these comes with free shipping)

The days when one picks a market and a product, then start social media accounts to drive traffic and run $$$ on paid ads, to "build a brand", is already dead long ago.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
That's because the market for direct-to-consumer eCommerce for most products is dead. $12 is not cheap. $3 or less is.

The days when one picks a market and a product, then start social media accounts to drive traffic and run $$$ on paid ads, to "build a brand", is already dead long ago.
Invent something new instead.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

What the F*ck did I just read lol

People are doing this every day

It’s a better and easier time than ever to start

Where did you get this expertise from? Whoever it was don’t listen to them anymore

Who the F*ck is buying glasses from Temu?

I see ads for new sunglasses brands that are killing it all the time

Look at Meller for one example

Execution is everything

If you can execute well, now is a better and easier time than ever

Vntonio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Aug 18, 2023
Earth

I have read many replies and posts you did and I must admit:

You are the worst "entrepreneur" here, to take advice from/encourage people.

Negativism/pessimism and wrong information are your neighbors.

I hope I'm wrong and you are totally the opposite.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yup you are right, nobody is selling anything anymore.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

Have you given up? Your website is showing offline.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Yup you are right, nobody is selling anything anymore.
Has anyone told Luxottica Temu has glasses for $3? $12 is too much now, let alone $120
“Oct 19 (Reuters) - Luxury eyewear maker EssilorLuxottica (ESLX.PA) on Thursday reported third-quarter revenue of 6.3 billion euros ($6.68 billion) with Asia-Pacific sales growth of 11.75% bolstered by China.

The third quarter was a "slight deceleration" compared to the first-half due to a weaker sun (glasses) retail business in the EMEA region and North America, the Ray-Ban owner said in a statement.

"As one would typically find in a slower market, optical leads while sunglasses lag," said Bernstein in a note following publication of EssilorLuxottica's results.”

Guess they didn’t get the memo

Last edited:

Young Money

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 27, 2018
Canada
Have you given up? Your website is showing offline.
I've shut the website down for now, as I was paying $40/month for shopify on top of running ads and wasn't getting any sales.

Well actually, I did get 1 sale and I was elated lol. I got an optician to put prescription lenses in according to the customer's prescription, I hand painted my logo onto a nice case, and shipped it out to the customer very fast...

Only for her to request a refund a week after receiving it.

She said the glasses didn't sit comfortably on her face. And also, the prescription seemed "off."

Without trying glasses on in person, its hard to know if they will feel comfortable for your face shape. And regarding the prescription, even though the optician prepared the lenses according to what the customer's doctor had sent me, it isn't uncommon for a prescription needing an adjustment, or it just being wrong.

So ya, $180 charge back AND since I live in Canada and we get absolutely screwed here by customs, I had to pay $25 in duties just to get MY OWN PRODUCT BACK!

LOL such a painful ordeal.

Pretty much was the last straw (at least for now), signaling that I need to move on from this one.

The good news is, I have since found a new business idea with greater potential, that serves a niche and has far less competition!

You can find my post for that below, if you are interested in hearing about it.

All the best

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
I also had plans to do a cool, retro themed photoshoot with some models to really show off my glasses, but doing so will cost $$thousands so need to get some sales before I am going to make such a big investment.

Not necessarily. I'm sure you can find an amateur photographer that wants to build his/hers portfolio? At least in my country I see offers for a free photoshoot almost every week. That doesnt mean they wont do a good job. Maybe not as good as pros, but still. Find some photography fb groups and find out. Then you just need some good looking babes haha

I will take some photos with models wearing the glasses.

Regarding having models wearing my glasses to sell "the dream", I 100% agree and was always planning to do that. I have so many ideas for a vintage style shoot, there's this photographer I know with rich parents and he's offering a 2 day photo/video shoot at his parents mansion, we can use their classic car too which would be perfect - but he quoted me $3000, so I have to shelve that idea.

First of all, I know I am already late on this thread but since I was trying a hand at creating ads, I just wanted to offer my rusty 2 cents, maybe they'll come in handy someday!

Whitley Hopps Sunglasses.jpg

Glasses used from your ad image.
This model charges nothing.
This photographer charges nothing.
No camera, Location, or traveling costs either.
EDIT: This is not a stock photo either!
No issues for commercial use!

Total investment: 20 mins!

And I was too lazy to make it a 1:1 ratio for FB ads, but I guess it conveys what I mean to say!

I just needed a break from yelling at my ad team about less-than-acceptable copy and creatives... and here I come to yell at you about your less-than-acceptable copy and creatives (so take my rage with a grain of salt).
I would like your opinion on this fake but quick ad mock-up. Feel free to yell! :)

I tend to differ a bit. Cheap has no price limits. Sunglasses are available for 50 cents also in some local areas around here.
Brands are being built online as we talk and social media is here to stay and it will be just more addictive and more penetrative than ever before! No doubt about it. But, this is just my opinion and I might be wrong!

Peace!

Last edited:

Zontora

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Oct 29, 2023
I see. I started with 8 as that was the max I could budget for off the start, was going to introduce a second collection later.

But I do agree that is doesn't look the best when you click MENS and it only shows 4 frames...

As for the price, $67 includes blue-light lenses, it would be impossible for me to offer prescription lenses at that price. I know there are $20 frames out there, and on amazon they have tons of cheap glasses; I was trying to make my brand higher quality while still not being too expensive.

Maybe the price is an issue for some people. I had already lowered it to undercut some competitors and offer free international shipping
You should read $100M offers by Alex Hormonzi, I promise you it's worth it. If you implement what he talks about, you won't have to lower your prices to match the competition, you can raise them above.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
First of all, I know I am already late on this thread but since I was trying a hand at creating ads, I just wanted to offer my rusty 2 cents, maybe they'll come in handy someday!

View attachment 53181

Glasses used from your ad image.
This model charges nothing.
This photographer charges nothing.
No camera, Location, or traveling costs either.
EDIT: This is not a stock photo either!
No issues for commercial use!

Total investment: 20 mins!

And I was too lazy to make it a 1:1 ratio for FB ads, but I guess it conveys what I mean to say!

I would like your opinion on this fake but quick ad mock-up. Feel free to yell! :)

MUCH better.

Eye-catching image. Cute AI girl. Glasses stick out. Text and banner are a little cheesy but oftentimes "ugly" stuff like that works better than "well designed".

For MONTHS I had this shitty opt-in from Hubspot that I just COULDN'T outperform no matter what. It HURT how bad it looked but it was getting a 50% opt-in rate. Took me 8 months to find something that beat it (and looks good).

The big point you made here is it took you 20 minutes. You could crank out 100 variations of this and test which one works best and then you'd have your answer! FB ads are so inexpensive these days and it lets you test up to 5 different variations at a time (image, headline, copy, etc.) that you'd have an answer within a week with only $100 in adspend or so.

Louie Prince

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 2, 2023
I've shut the website down for now, as I was paying $40/month for shopify on top of running ads and wasn't getting any sales.

Well actually, I did get 1 sale and I was elated lol. I got an optician to put prescription lenses in according to the customer's prescription, I hand painted my logo onto a nice case, and shipped it out to the customer very fast...

Only for her to request a refund a week after receiving it.

She said the glasses didn't sit comfortably on her face. And also, the prescription seemed "off."

Without trying glasses on in person, its hard to know if they will feel comfortable for your face shape. And regarding the prescription, even though the optician prepared the lenses according to what the customer's doctor had sent me, it isn't uncommon for a prescription needing an adjustment, or it just being wrong.

So ya, $180 charge back AND since I live in Canada and we get absolutely screwed here by customs, I had to pay $25 in duties just to get MY OWN PRODUCT BACK!

LOL such a painful ordeal.

Pretty much was the last straw (at least for now), signaling that I need to move on from this one.
Perhaps it would be better to carry on with this idea, but with better advertising?

You've only had 1 customer, so that's only 1 person's opinion. If you improved your advertising and got some more customers, then you'd have more feedback. You could use that feedback to improve the product, or at least to make a more informed decision whether to throw in the towel or not.

mario.scaling

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 10, 2024
Hey guys,

I've been working on an ecommerce store for awhile and I finally launched it on shopify about a month ago.

Well... it has not been going well, to put it mildly. I've spent hundreds of dollars on facebook ads and have not generated a single sale. Not one.

I've tweaked the price, tried targeting different audiences, worked hard on creatives making them visually appealing, I've watched countless youtube videos on how to use facebook ads effectively and nothing is working.

Not sure what to do at this point. I feel very discouraged after putting a lot of time into this "business" and spent a fair bit of money (not in a good spot at all financially) - I wasn't expecting my store to immediately generate a ton of sales, not like I was picking out my Ferrari color already lol but thought if I could do a few hundred dollars even in my first month, I could build off that.

At this point, I'm 50/50 on if I will shutdown my store, I simply can't afford to keep dumping money into ads that are yielding no returns.

Does anyone have any tips on how to market a new store?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
Did you gave up on this or you're still going?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.